Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are they also on the anti-Ukraine pro-Putin bandwagon now? 🤣

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I had a stroll around the Island of Geese yesterday. Its a nice space. It was a shame to see a lot of broken glass already around that theatre seating area! No doubt it will be an area for people to gather & drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You'd think its proximity to the Cop shop would dissuade people from doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Another late night fight at a Tralee chipper (Rajas on Castle Street) according to Radio Kerry. Gardai looking for witnesses. Starting to be a risky venture heading for grub after a night out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What passes for news on RK these days is increasingly pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get the impression that some of them stick their fingers in their ears and then repeat la la la la la la for a while, and only leave the station when they go home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There's a lot of work going on in the 2 units next to Peter Marks in Abbey court. looks to be totally gutted at the moment. Hopefully something will be going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I se the KCC councillors voted overwhelmingly to sell part of Island of Geese site for the courthouse. I know lots of people were against this but I think this is good for Tralee and Kerry longterm in terms of the judicial service being provided locally. The town would've lost the 20 million in funding for it for another generation if the council blocked this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It'll give all the clientele somewhere nice to sit while they're waiting for their case to be called.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It seems to escape some folk that the victims, witnesses and juries of criminal cases and all the parties involved in family and civil cases make up the vast majority of the 'clientele' and are more than deserving of 21st century facilities, as are the legal and other staff as well.

This is an absolutely fantastic day for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Agree 100%. Brillant day for the town. I have never heard such tripe as that spoken about the island of geese being given to the people of Tralee!!! For what. A second town park??? We will now have a modern court facility in the town centre. Hopefully, the old courthouse can be used in time as a museum etc.

But they didn't respect the wishes or ideas of the public, who the land was supposed to be gifted to! They just went ahead with what, to be fair, the majority of people actually disagree with moving! It may be a good move for some, but if you think about what has actually been done, its pure sneaky and disrespectful. Regardless of whether it is another park etc, its not the point of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

On what basis do you say "the majority of people disagree with moving". You have no evidence of that other than listening to the same few online who oppose everything in Tralee and shout the loudest. The democratically elected members of our council voted in favor. That's enough for me. Democracy prevailed. Nothing "sneaky or disrespectful" about a democratic vote in the chamber. Some of the online abuse directed at elected members on foot of the vote is shameful. And for the record, the vast majority I have spoken to agree with the move and welcome the fact that we won't loose our court service to Limerick. Believe it or not, it brings business to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭traleelad2

They’re was a serious whiff of the old Marks And Spencer fiasco from a few years ago off this. There are a number of old stock Tralee people on social media that really need a dose of cop on and get with the times. Some of these are the same people that had issue with Mark And Spencer planning a store in manor west and we all know what happened there

The old court house was not fit for purpose and no matter how much we wished it could be expanded and renovated it simply was not a viable option any clown could see that and I think to be fair all these various avenues were explored. The lack of disabled facilities alone at the old court house was a serious cause for concern

A couple of sites were looked at as far as I’m aware, Ballymullen being one of them but surely everyone can see that a court house in the town centre makes more sense. The island of geese is a lovely spot but it was designed with this type of public amenity development in mind. A well designed modern court house will only enhance that whole area even further.

Some people need to wise up and cop on we all don’t want Tralee to be stuck in the Stone Age.

We elected these councillors to make these decisions on our behalf and thanks be to god we did because if it was left up to some of the gombeen old stock tralee folk god only knows where we’d be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Where did you see that

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

What a load of crap I just read and I am saying that nicely

People are entitled to their opinion on it, as are you. Not everyone who oppose the decision are 'old stock' or need to 'cop on'!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭barryribs

We all know why it's going into where it is, because it would put the solicitors noses out of joint to have to travel up to Ballymullen. There was absolutely nothing democratic about the process, or pricing of the site. If it was available for purchase as the (5 out of 7) democratically elected councillors have decided, then it should have been put on the market rather than the nominal fee (160k) that they will receive for it. So now we can build a new court house at massive cost to the tax payer, increase our LPT as our (5 out of 7) democratically elected councillors continue to insist on doing, and let the old existing building rot.

Sorry, that should be 4 out of 7 councillors. Deirdre Ferris never ran for election and Cathal Foley and Johnny Wall both ran but failed

• Advertisement

Absolutely, but unfortunately opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one, and I think that’s the problem.

People also think their opinions count, and they don’t, not anymore anyway, more especially when they are uneducated and miss informed opinions.

Just because people don’t want it to be moved doesn’t mean it gets to stay where it is. It HAD to be moved, it was a necessity not an opinion. People think it they hold a placard get their picture taken and have a protest it’ll change the mind of the courts service and the council.

Most people advocating for it to stay have never even set foot in the old court house or are even aware of the poor facilities that it has.

People are now running with the story that the old building will be left to rot however absolutely NO decision has been made yet as to the future of the old court.

The court house isn’t solely for Tralee people it covers all of Kerry and beyond.

The town centre site makes perfect sense, if it was ballymullen we’d be whinging it’s too far out of town and taking business away from town centre.

Key sentence:

if it was ballymullen we’d be whinging it’s too far out of town

Great to have the law society on boards. It's just a shame they can't tell the difference between an opinion and a fact.

🤣 if I was a member of the law society I wouldn’t be dicking around on boards.ie.

my reference to “we” was as in we the tralee people I was included myself in that bracket as a person from tralee.

I feel like I'm missing out on something here. In my near 50 years, I've been there once, for jury duty.

How often would people have to travel to the court house, to be complaining about it? Is it some sort of tourist attraction that brings all this business you speak about to the town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

People do work there, you know. Having a public building with no disability access in this day and age is inexcusable. The building is ancient and difficult and costly to maintain and repair on top of that.Personally don't see the logic in locating the courthouse to Ballymullen. Its the type of building that's best suited to a central location close to the Garda station. And no, I'm not a member of the law society, a criminal or a garda.

I didn't realise people worked there. Now I completely understand why it is not moving to a much larger site, with ample room for a courthouse, parking and administration facilities.

The how often someone avails of the service or visits the court is irrelevant, if the service it’s providing isn’t fit for purpose it has to be rectified. You only need to be the unfortunate victim of one court case in your life for it to have an impact.

It was mentioned above that it’s not just about criminal law, there’s also family law and very sensitive private cases that take place at the court house in Tralee. From what I am told and have read there are very limited facilities for children or families involved in cases in terms of private rooms or waiting areas. Likewise those who are victims of domestic and sexual assault have very limited facilities to separate themselves from the general public or their attackers, often these people are having to wait in the same areas as those who are alleged to have committed the offence. If you or a family member happened to be the victim of a crime and had the accused staring you off in the lobby you might be looking at things from a different angle.

The disabled facilities which I mentioned before are also not existent and in this day in age that is totally unacceptable

Moving the court to an out of town location like ballymullen you would lose the footfall of judges, solicitors, barristers, jury’s, court staff, journalists, photographers, Gardai, the families of victims, families of criminals, etc. they all have to eat, drink coffee, park their cars and kill time in between court sittings and during recess’s etc, it is far from a tourist attraction however people from all over Kerry and beyond travel to the court every day for business of some sort. Losing the court to an out of town location would have a knock on effect to a lot of the towns businesses.

It’s doing just that…….

Island of geese=ample room for court room and admin facilities adjacent to a large council owned carpark and within short walking distance of multiple other private and public car parks.

Ample room

• Advertisement

It’s not all on one level you know? Thanks to modern building practices we can now build multiple floors on top of each other in new buildings. There is more than enough space there for a new court’s building.

Advertisement