Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

• 29-08-2016 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Free tubs of coddle on the Hill. All welcome.

Feel free to park the venom & bile at the door.

Here's the usual mod note:
    No personal abuse of other posters. No name calling of players or managers. Generally calling a player (or manager) variants of sc*m(bag), kn***er, etc. (ye can probably think of more colourful ones) will get you carded/banned. If you've come to our attention recently, any indiscretions will likely get you banned.
    To whoever wins: For the love of jaysus will ye win gracefully!!! Ye have just won Sam Maguire! Rubbing the opposition's nose in it should be the last thing on your mind.

Additional mod note here.

Enjoy the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Will there be an Information Board to follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Does the free coddle (and chocolate hobnobs if you know the secret handshake) not count as Information?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Does the free coddle (and chocolate hobnobs if you know the secret handshake) not count as Information?

That's no good to me if I can't work the turnstile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok Johnny Cooper out in front of Andy Moran

Philly on AOS again with McCarthy chipping in.

MDMA with Fenton to start now good match for SOS and Parsons.
    Small should be ok on DOC.

Concerned about COC
    Forwards as today, Mayo as concerned s out number 3 as the Dubs. So I'd exploit that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I wonder how many pages this thread will amass!?

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    I wonder how many pages red, yellow & black cards, this thread will amass!?

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Fixed that for you.

Shut up, Dub.

: )

Yore Ma !

Stoner wrote: »
    Ok Johnny Cooper out in front of Andy Moran

Philly on AOS again with McCarthy chipping in.

MDMA with Fenton to start now good match for SOS and Parsons.
    Small should be ok on DOC.

Concerned about COC
    Forwards as today, Mayo as concerned s out number 3 as the Dubs. So I'd exploit that too.

Leeroy vs Connolly... the headline act.
    Kevin Mc will have to be very closey watched too, won't they all. There'll be some cracking match ups throughout the field.

Both teams weak point being the FB line will be interesting. Getting and winning decent ball into our FF line will be key, an area we've improved upon since last year. AO'S was lost in there for the replay. Kerry seemed to get a lot of joy attacking down the flanks, we'll need DO'C firing and he could be the main man to exploit that. A lot will hinge on the midfield match ups.

It's Dublins to lose, there isn't enough good land down here for us all to hide in the long grass so we'll have to jump behind a stone wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can we line up all the cliches first though?

"Mayo will bottle it", "Mayo will get battered" "Dublin are playing at home (they are though! :) )" "Refs mothers sister blew off a Dub in Coppers one night", "Mayo will bottle it" "Dubs don't own the hill" "O'Shea is a diving cheat" "Connolly is a scumbag" "Cooper is a scumbag" "Keegan is a scumbag"

What the fk is coddle?

Mayo4Sam ;)

Should be a cracker, Mayo won't lie down and even though we have been poor all year I think we have one final big performance. Whether its enough I am not sure, Dublin did it when they had to yesterday, Kerry didn't take their chances, though Dublin kicked a lot of wides.
    I think Dublin could concede a few goals, Mayo could also though.

What odds on a draw, Ill be dead in the corner if it is! :)

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    What the fk is coddle?

Well yop since you don't know, it's stew that they use sossages instead of beef, a much more elaborate meal today then it once was.

You know in some old country houses years ago that pot that was kept on the go 24/7 with
    Everything thing fired into in it ? well that's Mayo coddle.

My old man's stories about the old days in Dublin , eating sheeps heads, pigs feet, milking cows in the cattle market and the state of some of the cows, sieving weevils out of the flour dozens of people in tiny living areas.

Well coddle is part of that for me, I'm not eating it :)

All these manky foods that people only ate years ago because it's all that was available now delicacies.

Anyway. I think the run up to the game will be quiet. No injuries for anyone, no cards to overturn.

Was talking to some of the kerry lads yesterday, really we both feared Mayo in the final, but I think the closeness of the game yesterday will benefit Dublin.
    Mayo can see how much trouble Star caused Dublin yesterday, yet it kind of didn't at the same time. AOSs mobility added to that mix could be a issue. But we know now what to expect.

Barry Moran has to start for Mayo and our Fenton will need to be on the ball against him.

I don't think brogan will be as isolated as he was yesterday.

It'll all really depends on who shows up, SOS or MDMA (good yesterday)

Johnny Cooper is playing his best football and has been keeping his mouth shut this year so I'm hoping he carries that into the game.
    Well see if the Mayo lads are as fit this year too.

Should be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Has all the makings of a cracker of a game. I definitely don't buy into all this nonsense about Mayo "not being able" for Dublin, they'll be well able for them.
    Fancy it to be every bit as close as yesterday's game and go right to the wire, whichever team edges it will have to win it the hard way.

It's still 3 weeks away though, I'm still digesting yesterday's match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ehhhh...we don't know if any Dublin players are carrying knocks right now

Barry Moran has to start for Mayo and our Fenton will need to be on the ball against him.

I don't think brogan will be as isolated as he was yesterday.

It'll all really depends on who shows up, SOS or MDMA (good yesterday).

I can't see Barry starting myself, not in midfield ahead of SO'S, Parsons/Vaughan. I don't think we'll see him starting in the FB line either.

An option / role I would consider for him would be to bring him on for Andy after 50/55 mins or so. Throw Aidan up alongside him in the FF line and try to get some decent ball into the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Worrying thing for Mayo is that Dublin didn't really focus on scoring goals today. They had a few opportunities all right but it was clear it wasn't a focus .
    Second worrying thing is Dublin really could have won by a lot more . The 2 goals yesterday were bad goal keeping. That gave Kerry the kick start they needed .
    The level of control Dublin had up to that was scary .

Simply put for Mayo to have any hope they must maintain possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Worrying thing for Mayo is that Dublin didn't really focus on scoring goals today. They had a few opportunities all right but it was clear it wasn't a focus .
    Second worrying thing is Dublin really could have won by a lot more . The 2 goals yesterday were bad goal keeping. That gave Kerry the kick start they needed .
    The level of control Dublin had up to that was scary .

Simply put for Mayo to have any hope they must maintain possession

Agree with the first part. Have it on good authority that Gavin's last words before going out on the pitch were "And remember lads, don't bother with goals today"

PARlance wrote:
    I can't see Barry starting myself, not in midfield ahead of SO'S, Parsons/Vaughan. I don't think we'll see him starting in the FB line either.

He's possibly the best fielder in the game though, Mayo will need to play to their strengths.

He's possibly the best fielder in the game though, Mayo will need to play to their strengths.

Best fielder no doubt but he's also probably the least agile of them and I think that'll be needed against you more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If Mayo's big players, i.e AOS, COC, Andy Moran, Keegan, Higgins etc. all play as well they they can, Mayo can win.

but they've been a bit hit and miss this year, so a Dublin win is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dublin by 7-10 for me I'm afraid.

This Dublin team are a monster. I love watching them, even as Corkman I totally admire them. They have mainly very likeable players too.

• Advertisement

This Dublin team are a monster. I love watching them, even as Corkman I totally admire them. They have mainly very likeable players too.

Never going to happen, Mayo aren't Laois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Read that first as 7 goals and 10 points. Now, that would be some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah lads Mayo aren't Laois ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Dublin are a class team. But they are not a 7 - 10 point better team than Mayo. The only way I can see them doing this is if they have something like a 3 point lead near the end, Mayo are attacking leaving themselves exposed & then Dublin getting a goal followed up with a couple of victory points. However, its hard to see a comprehensive 7 - 10 point victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Dublin are a class team. But they are not a 7 - 10 point better team than Mayo. The only way I can see them doing this is if they have something like a 3 point lead near the end, Mayo are attacking leaving themselves exposed & then Dublin getting a goal followed up with a couple of victory points. However, its hard to see a comprehensive 7 - 10 point victory.

I hope its competitive final like Sundays Kerry v Dublin semi final was but the main cause of concern for Mayo is their form this year which mirrors their 2011 or 2004 form where they eventually picked up a trimming.

The margin of victory in their last championship meeting was 7 points. Their recent history does not back up your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think this is going to be one of the most one sided all-ireland finals in recent history.

Dublin have improved and have injected patience and calmness into thier play.

Mayo have regressed.

I am starting to think the Dublin v Kerry Semi-Final was the final in all but name and was THE game to be at.

Strangely this Final almost seems like a side show.

Mayo just going there trying to avoid getting hammered (on the pitch anyway).

Dublin will be planning for the three in a row once the Dublin club championships finish.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think this is going to be one of the most one sided all-ireland finals in recent history.

Mayo have regressed.

I am starting to think the Dublin v Kerry Semi-Final was the final in all but name and was THE game to be at.

Dublin will be planning for the three in a row once the Dublin club championships finish.

Sure we might as well not even show up. If we don't get beat by more than 18 points, we can all go home happy knowing we tried our best right? :rolleyes:

They all come out this time of year lol.

Mayo have regressed.

I don't get this at all. I'll be bloody amazed if there is more than a few points between these going into the last knockings. Either way.

I'm a Dub, I actually hope you're right but I think it will be mighty close and I wouldn't be in the least bit dismissive of Mayo.

It's an All Ireland final, Mayo have way less pressure than us, they're the under-dog which can be a good thing, and there have been a million bigger upsets in sport than Mayo winning this.

For Mayo to win they'll need to get everything spot on tactically and be at their best and out-work Dublin.

No reason why that cannot happen.

I'd rather be playing Tyrone (who Mayo beat) than be playing Mayo, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

Mayo have regressed.

100% agree, last Sunday's game was the decider in my opinion.
    I hope Mayo do come out and give it there all to make it a close game.
    Having seen Dublin come back from five points down and winning the game like they did last week I just can't see a team like mayo winning. I'm sure Theyl have doubts about themselves being able to win this one in the back of there minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I don't get this at all. I'll be bloody amazed if there is more than a few points between these going into the last knockings. Either way.

I'm a Dub, I actually hope you're right but I think it will be mighty close and I wouldn't be in the least bit dismissive of Mayo.

It's an All Ireland final, Mayo have way less pressure than us, they're the under-dog which can be a good thing, and there have been a million bigger upsets in sport than Mayo winning this.

For Mayo to win they'll need to get everything spot on tactically and be at their best and out-work Dublin.

No reason why that cannot happen.

I'd rather be playing Tyrone (who Mayo beat) than be playing Mayo, personally.

That stuff is irrelevant. Dublin don't do pressure or hype or any of that nonsense. They've proved it time and again. You'll get the usual performance from them on the day. Mayo are in a similar boat. The talk of curses and pressure is completely lost on the current team.

I'm normally not big on predicting hammerings or one sided non events but i'm finding hard to make a case for a Mayo win. Objectively they've been average all season. Even in the Tyrone game the quality wasn't great. Its fine saying they have one big performance in them but if you're cold about it the form might actually point to Dublin winning comfortably.

It's an All Ireland final, Mayo have way less pressure than us, they're the under-dog which can be a good thing,

Mayo may be the underdog but there's more pressure on them, most of this Dublin team have three all irelands under their belt while going for a double. The perceived logic is that doubles in the modern game are near impossible because a team can't keep up that level of hard work and commitment for two years on the trot. Dublin have managed the hard work and now they need to perform for 70 minutes or so the achieve something special

Mayo on the other hand, fired a manager through player power and now, if they don't deliver, the players will have no one else to blame. They really can't afford to lose this and they've been prone to panicking this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mayo have regressed.

What's it like living under a bridge Mr troll?

@ Bambi, Corny,

Fair enough. You think the pressure is on Mayo more so than Dublin then ok, I'm surprised by people saying that but each to their own.

@ Bambi, Corny,

Fair enough. You think the pressure is on Mayo more so than Dublin then ok, I'm surprised by people saying that but each to their own.

Dublin are going for their 4th All Ireland this decade & have a very settled management set up. Mayo are going for their 1st AI in 60 odd years & are coming off a winter of player led, management drama.

If you set everyones county allegiances (mine is pretty bloody obvious) and all the na na na, oneupmanship stuff going on, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what county is under the most pressure to deliver Sam this year.

• Advertisement

Dublin are going for their 4th All Ireland this decade & have a very settled management set up. Mayo are going for their 1st AI in 60 odd years & are coming off a winter of player led, management drama.

If you set everyones county allegiances (mine is pretty bloody obvious) and all the na na na, oneupmanship stuff going on, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what county is under the most pressure to deliver Sam this year.

You being serious?

What I meant by pressure was the media, the tag of being favourites, the burden of expectation.
    That kind of pressure.

I'm well aware that Mayo have gone donkeys years without a title, my missus is a Mayo lass.

I was speaking from a Dublin point of view about people expecting us to win.

I think you've taken me up wrong here.

Yes, I am being serious. There is far less pressure on a county that has won the damm thing 3 times in the last 5 years, than there is on the county who hasn't won it since Moses was a boy. They are the cold hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

@ Bambi, Corny,

I don't think there's more pressure on Mayo. I think 'pressure' (as in pressure of the build up) will be completely irrelevant to the performances on the day. The evidence would firmly point to that.

Mayo are not going to perform poorly because players from their county lost an All Ireland 40 years ago. They've been a remarkably consistent side in the face of this 'pressure' for some time now. That won't change.

Similarly, i can't think of a game where i thought Dublin underperformed because they couldn't handle the expectation or pressure. Not dealing with a small sample size with Dublin either. They've literally never lost when the top two inches were the decisive factor.

Yes, I am being serious. There is far less pressure on a county that has won the damm thing 3 times in the last 5 years, than there is on the county who hasn't won it since Moses was a boy. They are the cold hard facts.

If I'm playing for the team expected (by most of the country) to win then I feel more pressure than if I'm on the team expected to lose.

Mayo should be approaching this saying everyone expects The Dubs to win, we'll go out and spoil the party.
    Leave the pressure on the favourites.

The media, 30 other counties, everyone is fancying the Dubs. That brings its own pressure.

Mayo are expected to lose anyway so where's the pressure?

It's down to how you look at it I suppose but if im the mayo manager I'm telling my team the pressure is on Dublin.

corny wrote: »
    I don't think there's more pressure on Mayo. I think 'pressure' (as in pressure of the build up) will be completely irrelevant to the performances on the day. .

Fair enough fella. :)

I didn't mean to spark a debate about it anyway initially.

Interesting replies all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"Pressure", and its opposite, "hunger" are totally intangible.

There is no way of measuring either before a game, and even after a game its not always clear whether one or other was a factor in the winning or losing of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

One thing that massively favours the Dubs is the test that they got from Kerry. I don't have any inside knowledge of how Dublin training is going or anything, but I can well imagine that Cluxton, a notorious perfectionist, will have the team practising plan A, B, C and D for their kickouts.

I can't see Mayo having the same success on his kickouts as Kerry managed, I can't see him getting rattled, and that's where about ten of Kerrys points came from in the minutes before half time. They'd have scored some points without it, but the game probably wouldn't have been close without Cluxton getting rattled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I'm starting to think the people who believe Dublin have already won the final are either trolls or pretty don't watch football from one end of the year to the next bar a couple of 'big' games

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

I'm starting to think the people who believe Dublin have already won the final are either trolls or pretty don't watch football from one end of the year to the next bar a couple of 'big' games

100% agree, nobody, in any sport, is unbeatable.

Let's not forget this Mayo team took us to a replay last year, and we are an all star and the player of the year down in defense.

Yes we are favourites, and rightly so, but to write Mayo off is crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-senior-football-championship/winner

The bookies have Dublin almost unbackable

Don't think so. Dublin are clear favorites with the bookies. They are tipped by almost all pundits to win the game and get the 2IAR. Dublin fans aren't expecting Mayo to go up and win it especially with Mayo's form this year, we've almost stumbled into this final. The fact Mayo haven't won it since '51, means any Mayo supporter going up to Croke Park won't be overly confident - there's an air of "I'll believe it win I see it happen". I've seen us lose six finals in Croke Park (too young for '89) so there's no chance that there's any real expectation with most supporters. We've certainly a chance of winning it but that kind of thinking won't be transferred onto the players.

The cold hard facts are there, if there is any pressure, it's on Dublin - not that it will affect them much.

Don't think so. Dublin are clear favorites with the bookies. They are tipped by almost all pundits to win the game and get the 2IAR. Dublin fans aren't expecting Mayo to go up and win it especially with Mayo's form this year, we've almost stumbled into this final. The fact Mayo haven't won it since '51, means any Mayo supporter going up to Croke Park won't be overly confident - there's an air of "I'll believe it win I see it happen". I've seen us lose six finals in Croke Park (too young for '89) so there's no chance that there's any real expectation with most supporters. We've certainly a chance of winning it but that kind of thinking won't be transferred onto the players.

The cold hard facts are there, if there is any pressure, it's on Dublin .

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

This is Mayo's to lose, to much pressure on the Dubs.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    This is Mayo's to lose, to much pressure on the Dubs.

No need for the hyperbole. I was responding to ProudDub who thinks if there's any pressure then it's on Mayo. I don't think the 'cold hard facts' back his opinion up at all, it's the opposite actually.

This Dublin team are well able to handle it, as we saw last week - so it's a mute argument anyway. If Mayo can get a lead up, then Dublin will have to respond (like they responded in the last quarter of last year's replay) but Mayo's job is too put them in that position again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No need for the hyperbole. I was responding to ProudDub who thinks if there's any pressure then it's on Mayo. I don't think the 'cold hard facts' back his opinion up at all, it's the opposite actually.

This Dublin team are well able to handle it, as we saw last week - so it's a mute argument anyway. If Mayo can get a lead up, then Dublin will have to respond (like they responded in the last quarter of last year's replay) but Mayo's job is too put them in that position again.

Not a hyperbole response. Mayo are lying in the long grass having underperformed all year, waiting to peak for the final. I think Mayo are going in as massive underdogs and have nothing to lose but a lot to win. However, JG will not let the panel buy into any of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement