Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sunday Game 2016 Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's the badge they ate all wearing in studio ?

Same on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What's the badge they ate all wearing in studio ?

Same on Sky.

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself.

logo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Today and in the Mayo/Tipp game did
    Michael Lyster just cut off Joe Brolly when he was trying to talk?
    Ok he is not everyones cup of tea but why have someone on the panel if you are not going to give them any space to speak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

frankz wrote: »
    Ok he is not everyones cup of tea but why have someone on the panel if you are not going to give them any space to speak?

Because all brolly does is cut across other pundits with his nonsense. I

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Bambi wrote: »
    Because all brolly does is cut across other pundits with his nonsense. I

Agreed.
    But now he has too because not being given any time of his own!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Who's going to get MOTM?Probably a Dublin player...Dean Rock or Kevin McManamon for me,Philly McMahon immense too,Diarmuid Connolly had his moments.

Honourable mention Killian Young and Paul Geaney for Kerry.

McManamon shades it over Rock as he stood up when most needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This is such bullsh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Philly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Kevin Mac followed closely by Dean Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

seligehgit wrote: »
    Who's going to get MOTM?Probably a Dublin player...Dean Rock or Kevin McManamon for me,Philly McMahon immense too,Diarmuid Connolly had his moments.

McManamon shades it over Rock as he stood up when most needed.

Honourable mention to Geaney??? The best and most influential player on the park!

Honourable mention to Geaney??? The best and most influential player on the park!

He was one of the 3 with Kev and Cian.

Kev gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I would have given it to Jonny Cooper. Still, it's impossible to begrudge Kev Mc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

He was one of the 3 with Kev and Cian.

Kev gets it.

He had an excellent game but I though Geaney edged it.
    Was fantastic for Kerry and the his absence at the end highlighted his importance even more

Honourable mention in terms of the fact as a member of the losing team he was less likely to get MOTM.He was outstanding,it was a bizarre decision to substitute him.I disagree that he was so obviously superior to the others I mentioned.MOTM calls are oftentimes rightly based on the ability to turn it on whence the winning of the game is in the balance...great players stand up whence most required.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I would have given it to Jonny Cooper. Still, it's impossible to begrudge Kev Mc.

I was giving it to Philly. Or Jonny.

But I'll accept the decision. I'll watch the full game again tomorrow and have a decision made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

Killian was great alright. Geaney's been recognised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd have given it to Geaney myself, scored really well of absolute scraps. Cooper (Johnny) had a great game too as did Killian Young and Mcmanman. A strong argument could be made for any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I thought O'Mahony had a good game overall too
    Brogan played well his set ups should have produced two goals,ost said he was poor but he was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

frankz wrote: »

Brolly is an obnoxious bully who loves the sound of his own voice, he tried bullying Ciaran Whelan a couple of times yesterday and fair play to Whelan he didn't back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cathy427

Is the Sunday Game (night time show, ie not the live game) repeated at any stage?

I know its on the player but that doesn't suit here

cathy427 wrote: »
    Is the Sunday Game (night time show, ie not the live game) repeated at any stage?

I don't think it is repeated as far as I know.

cathy427 wrote: »

I believe it usually is...I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I liked Tomás O'Se's description of Paul Geaney "He's a townie player"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Is it just me or is brolly pissed on the Sunday game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Martin Carney's moment of the year, he doesn't do irony does he!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Martin Carney's moment of the year, he doesn't do irony does he!!

"Carney is the name and bias is my game".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Small gets MOTM the last day, Fitzsimons today, yet neither make the team of the year, says it all about the Sunday Game analysts, they can't get anything straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

"Carney is the name and bias is my game".

Seemed to have Pat Spillane in his pocket too. Keegan POTY? Boyle ahead of Harte, AOM or COS? Durcan (who played well mind you) ahead of Small? Laughable stuff.

Pleased Rock and Quinlivan got a mention. Harrison being the plus 1 instead of Higgins in the full back line was the right call too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Godge wrote: »
    Small gets MOTM the last day, Fitzsimons today, yet neither make the team of the year, says it all about the Sunday Game analysts, they can't get anything straight.

It was MOTM not POTY.

Small was superb the last day and Fitzsimons was excellent today so what is wrong with that? That says nothing only what was obvious.

Carney I thought was decent on the TV today. Not as biased as he usually is. Actually thought some frees were very harsh against Dublin, ones O'Connor scored not the miss;).

Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke are there to cause argument but I think at this stage most people recognise O'Rourke is fairly decent as is Tomas O'Sé and Dessie Dolan.

Durcan had a great first half and what a massive point today into the Hill and has done well all year so could see an argument for him but I would pick Small ahead of him.

Clarke
    Harrison Cooper Young
    Boyle C. O'S Small
    Fenton D. Moran
    McManus Kilkenny Sweeney
    Geaney Quinlivan Moran

Only doubt I have is for C.K who can slow things down a little so maybe Darren O'Sullivan. I think both Parsons and Seamus O'Se would be close as would Keith Higgins. There are so many good players around. Sweeney has been super for Tipp and McManus has been brilliant for Monaghan.
    So Dublin 5, Mayo 4, Kerry 3, Tipp 2 and Monaghan 1

I will watch the Sunday game tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

LeoB wrote: »
    It was MOTM not POTY.

Small was superb the last day and Fitzsimons was excellent today so what is wrong with that? That says nothing only what was obvious.

Carney I thought was decent on the TV today. Not as biased as he usually is. Actually thought some frees were very harsh against Dublin, ones O'Connor scored not the miss;).

Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke are there to cause argument but I think at this stage most people recognise O'Rourke is fairly decent as is Tomas O'Sé and Dessie Dolan.

Durcan had a great first half and what a massive point today into the Hill and has done well all year so could see an argument for him but I would pick Small ahead of him.

Clarke
    Harrison Cooper Young
    Boyle C. O'S Small
    Fenton D. Moran
    McManus Kilkenny Sweeney
    Geaney Quinlivan Moran

Only doubt I have is for C.K who can slow things down a little so maybe Darren O'Sullivan. I think both Parsons and Seamus O'Se would be close as would Keith Higgins. There are so many good players around. Sweeney has been super for Tipp and McManus has been brilliant for Monaghan.
    So Dublin 5, Mayo 4, Kerry 3, Tipp 2 and Monaghan 1

I will watch the Sunday game tomorrow.

Clarke was dropped for an all-Ireland replay, so can't feature in TOTY, neither can McCauley or Brogan for that reason. Unbeaten all year, Dublin deserve more than 5 - Cluxton, McMahon, Cooper, O'Sullivan, Small, Fenton, McManamon, Connolly, Kilkenny and Rock deserve All-Stars. No other team has ever been this dominant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Totally brushing the slap after the Mayo goal from all existence showed a pretty clear agenda from RTE last night.

There's always an agenda.

See Donaghy v Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

There's always an agenda.

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

How was that ironic?

They brush over so many things that deserve discussion and you bloody well know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

How was that ironic?

They brush over so many things that deserve discussion and you bloody well know it.
    There is only one agenda here and it's your anti-Kerry and especially anti-Donaghy agenda.

Thousands of people watched that match and the only person that i've heard of that believes that Donaghy's tackle was anything other than a clumsy tackle by a guy who is a foot taller then his opponent is you.

The reason the Sunday Game didn't highlight it, is because it was a nothing incident. A high swinging arm, just like Paul Flynn yesterday, but that was fine I guess.

There is only one agenda here and it's your anti-Kerry and especially anti-Donaghy agenda.

Thousands of people watched that match and the only person that i've heard of that believes that Donaghy's tackle was anything other than a clumsy tackle by a guy who is a foot taller then his opponent is you.

The reason the Sunday Game didn't highlight it, is because it was a nothing incident. A high swinging arm, just like Paul Flynn yesterday, but that was fine I guess.

Wouldn't make a big deal of it but no way is that right. He went in to hurt him. Lost the head briefly. It can happen.

^^^Ah come on^^^
    I haven't finished off watching the whole of yesterday's match so forgive me if I don't know exactly what Flynn incident you're getting at.

Whenever there's a negative mention of Kerry ya hop all over it (as do many of your compatriots).

I mentioned Donaghy as it was an incident that was glossed over that I thought of straightway. And of course there are others.

But as I say, RTÉ always have an agenda, whether it's pro- or anti-Dublin pro-Mayo, anti-Ulster, pro-Kerry etc... and it will remain ever thus. That was what I was initially getting at. In this case it's an agenda of seeing Mayo as nice??? Or not capable of the dark arts? If Keegan or Connolly pulled a hit like that Doherty did on Cooper there's no way they would have glossed over it.

No need to get scorpy over my anti-Donaghy agenda. It's not an agenda really tbh, I just hate him :) An agenda makes out like I'm not clear in my feelings and being sly.

---

Re the Flynn "high arm", I don't know exactly which incident you're talking about but I'm sure if it's as bad as you make out I would likely find it abhorrent. When was it?

Also looking at that Cooper black card again, live I thought it was a cert. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I watched the Sky coverage yesterday during the Live broadcast. They are a zillion zillion miles ahead of the Sunday Game. I am rewatching the Sunday Game on the player now. The amount of times that a pundit doesnt answer the question they are asked is ridiculous. They go talking about the point that was previously discussed!

• Advertisement

I watched the Sky coverage yesterday during the Live broadcast. They are a zillion zillion miles ahead of the Sunday Game. I am rewatching the Sunday Game on the player now. The amount of times that a pundit doesnt answer the question they are asked is ridiculous. They go talking about the point that was previously discussed!

My Sky sub finished the day before the drawn game. Killer to have to watch RTÉ's coverage.

^^^Ah come on^^^
    I haven't finished off watching the whole of yesterday's match so forgive me if I don't know exactly what Flynn incident you're getting at.

Whenever there's a negative mention of Kerry ya hop all over it (as do many of your compatriots).

I mentioned Donaghy as it was an incident that was glossed over that I thought of straightway. And of course there are others.

But as I say, RTÉ always have an agenda, whether it's pro- or anti-Dublin pro-Mayo, anti-Ulster, pro-Kerry etc... and it will remain ever thus. That was what I was initially getting at. In this case it's an agenda of keeping COC as the golden boy I would guess. If Keegan or Connolly pulled a hit like that COC did on Cooper there's no way they would have glossed over it.

No need to get scorpy over my anti-Donaghy agenda. It's not an agenda really tbh, I just hate him :) An agenda makes out like I'm not clear in my feelings and being sly.

---

Re the Flynn "high arm", I don't know exactly which incident you're talking about but I'm sure if it's as bad as you make out I would likely find it abhorrent. When was it?

Also looking at that Cooper black card again, live I thought it was a cert. Now I'm not so sure.

Was it not Doherty that hit Cooper after the goal? Didn't murder him but it was completely unnecessary.

Interesting that it was seen and not acted upon by the officials. Deegan clearly indicated there was nothing in it. Moments later he booked Fenton for a friendly shoulder that barely broke the stride of his opponent. Strange stuff.

corny wrote: »
    Was it not Doherty that hit Cooper after the goal? Didn't murder him but it was completely unnecessary.

Interesting that it was seen and not acted upon by the officials. Deegan clearly indicated there was nothing in it. Moments later he booked Fenton for a friendly shoulder that barely broke the stride of his opponent. Strange stuff.

I had thought it was Doherty initially. But I rewatched it over and over and it seemed to be no 15. Now I have to rewatch it again. Feck ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

PressRun wrote: »
    Tbh, he's only repeating whispers around the county about what kind of role Keith Higgins will have in the team this year.

He should come down to Kilkenny and give TJ a break from the frees

Advertisement