Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game 2016 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

paulie21 wrote: »
    2 minutes of highlights. Disgrace

Was just to about to post the same,the biggest result in the Munster Championship in a long time and it gets very poor coverage,

Like they surely had the time to put together a proper highlights package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In fairness I think they expected a routine win for Cork, before today it wouldn't have looked like the most attractive tie for most neutrals, given it's the big story that forced them to move it to the front.

But they had the footage so why not show more of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What they expected to happen, isn't really relevant imo. If they had the cameras running the entire time, then they have the footage of the entire game in the can. It's just a matter of editing down the highlights into the time frame allowed. This was a massive result for Tipp & it's criminal that the highlights time frame allowed, was a mere two minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Joke

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What they expected to happen, isn't really relevant imo. If they had the cameras running the entire time, then they have the footage of the entire game in the can. It's just a matter of editing down the highlights into the time frame allowed. This was a massive result for Tipp & it's criminal that the highlights time frame allowed, was a mere two minutes.

Depends if he had time to do some off-tube commentary on it or double the length of his report.

The only viable option is to go back in time and tell RTE that a big shock is going to happen and to put more effort into the match coverage.

In fairness these games are usually a routine win for the likes of Cork so generally they are not really worthy of more time than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I am glad I did not spend the Ten Euro on GAAGO to watch the Sunday Game at 9.30.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I missed it because it was so short and tuned in a couple of minutes late :mad:

Extremely poor by RTE. Tipp match should be the feature piece tonight. I'd also be questioning why we dont have a larger analysis team working tonight, given the amount of matches that were on today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It was a big result, but if so few went to the game that says something. Looks like they wanted some face time afterwards with Kearns but only got a phone call as his daughter had a child today. There was no back up plan. They might have him on the panel soon like they did with McGrath last year.

TBH I watched both matches on RTE today I only tuned in to see Tips win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Two minutes of highlights of Tipp's historic win yet we'll have 15 minutes of highlights of games that were shown live.

Amateurs.

Stoner wrote: »
    It was a big result, but if so few went to the game that says something. Looks like they wanted some face time afterwards with Kearns but only got a phone call as his daughter had a child today. There was no back up plan. They might have him on the panel soon like they did with McGrath last year.

TBH I watched both matches on RTE today I only tuned I to see Tips win.

I am the same. I always wondered why the live matches seem to be featured in the evening when most fans would have already seen it earlier. I understand that for high profile matches later in the championship but not as this stage. The munster & Leinster championships should be the focus tonight. But at the moment, they seem to be showing a significant portion of the Ros - Sligo match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Depends if he had time to do some off-tube commentary on it or double the length of his report.

The only viable option is to go back in time and tell RTE that a big shock is going to happen and to put more effort into the match coverage.

In fairness these games are usually a routine win for the likes of Cork so generally they are not really worthy of more time than that.

No it's not. The game ended hours ago. If the original plan was to give the game 2 minutes, as they presumed it would be yet another routine Munster champo win for Cork, then it's hardly rocket science to bump up the 2 minutes to 6 minutes, not with all the resources, man power and technology that RTE have available to them.

Someone in RTE needs to put some thought into their policy of giving bare bones coverage to game that were not shown live, and giving the majority of coverage to games that were shown live. It is an utterly daft policy imo. They seem to decide how much time each game gets, before the games even start. If a game winds up being very interesting/exciting/momentous, it's tough luck, 2 minutes are all ye are getting. So a routine win for Kerry gets triple the time that the best/worst day in Tipp/Cork for years gets. It a bad arrangement and the show is the poorer for it imo. In this day and age, the technology exists to present a highlight package, based on what happens on the day itself & not some prearranged format.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

El Chapo wrote: »
    Two minutes of highlights of Tipp's historic win yet we'll have 15 minutes of highlights of games that were shown live.

Amateurs.

+1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd say that the editing crew are all at the live games.
    I wouldn't say they have anyone who knew anything significant about the game, they decided to get the manager into the studio to close the knowledge gap and give it more time, but that fell on its backside, the two boys had their homework done on the "main" games.

In this day and age we can all record games that we might not get either chance to watch live. Highlights are only useful if there is more analysis, or if something worthy of review happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

It would be more interesting to hear what Martin said to the offaly player at full time that made him get off the ground follow him down the field and break his nose?

Did not hear either of the westmeath dessies mention that bit ;)

Amateurs.

Ya this sickens me each week,the live games get all the coverage in the night show even though they have been shown earlier in the day,fair enough analysing them and giving out the MOTM and have short highlights of the game

But give the games that weren't on TV some proper air time.

Remember The Monday Game,RTE should bring that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd say that the editing crew are all at the live games.
    I wouldn't say they have anyone who knew anything significant about the game, they decided to get the manager into the studio to close the knowledge gap and give it more time, but that fell on its backside, the two boys had their homework done on the "main" games.

In this day and age we can all record games that we might not get either chance to watch live. Highlights are only useful if there is more analysis, or if something worthy of review happened

I would imagine they send a skeleton crew, two cameras or whatever, to certain games with the view of only capturing a few minutes of highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Patww79 wrote: »

No the game was muck, Heslin putting over a few nice points but poor game overall, Martin went over to celebrate in front of Offaly lad at end is typical westmeath, showing him his badge and putting out chest, he then wonders how someone could break his nose.

It would be more interesting to hear what Martin said to the offaly player at full time that made him get off the ground follow him down the field and break his nose?

Did not hear either of the westmeath dessies mention that bit ;)

While not condoning Martin (as it looked like he instigated things), it was still the wrong reaction from the Offaly player

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No it's not. The game ended hours ago. If the original plan was to give the game 2 minutes, as they presumed it would be yet another routine Munster champo win for Cork,en it's hardly rocket science to bump up the 2 minutes to 6 minutes, not with all the resources, man power and technology that RTE have available to them

I was being facetious with that comment :o

I don't disagree, maybe it's just they are given a certain amount of time to show however many games and they have to have the time allotted to each game pre-planned before they are played, and on the rare occasion their is a shock like Tipp today they end up looking foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hopefully TG 4 will give better coverage tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Can never understand why the Sunday Game spends so long showing highlights of the games that were on that day. The Tipp/Cork highlights were the same as what you would see on the 6 news. I can understand the lack of replays of scores with only one camera but surely they could have showed more scores(their was 36 and a missed peno!) and had the 2 lads talk a bit more about it

Must say I was surprised they showed the Martin incident in the Westmeath game, they usually shy away from these incidents but fair play for bringing it up even though he never got Dessie to comment on it. I was at the game and it was poor but there was some lovely scores that could have been shown as part of a longer package.

Does Eddie Brennan think he's commentating on Golf, he's almost whispering every word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

How in the name of Jesus does Martin Carney have a job with RTE? He is absolutely terrible.

It must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How in the name of Jesus does Martin Carney have a job with RTE? He is absolutely terrible.

It must be said.

Very much so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Does Eddie Brennan think he's commentating on Golf, he's almost whispering every word.

Yea, A father stone if ever there was one!

Advertisement