Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 10:00   #181
El Tarangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayoAreMagic View Post
If they want to dictate what happens with it, they should need to own it to do so... Private ownership should mean something, and this attitude of trying to shame people into doing what is in fashion, with their own property, shows a lack of respect for people and their rights. They own that land the same way you own your car/home etc and that should be respected fully. So that is why I say, if someone wants to dictate as regards what happens to it, they should have to buy it.
There are all sorts of restrictions society places on the use of private property; if I were to buy the land next door to you and try to open an incinerator or start a strip-mining operation, I probably wouldn't be allowed to.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 10:11   #182
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
There is a massive difference in population numbers between rural and urban that negates your argument and there is very little public transport out here. eg we have three buses a week. And sparse population

city traffic is constant and heavy
I'm wondering why you're continuing with this clearly ridiculous line of reasoning. Dublin's canal cordon revealed tat 70% of people enter the centre by sustainable mode, public transport, walking and cycling. If those people lived in rural areas they'd all drive long distances to work, i.e. an unsustainable mode. Why is this hard for you to understand? More and more people are living in cities now, therfore reducing their emissions from transport.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 10:12   #183
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
I guess not everyone footing turf is getting their €10 per hour.
11-07-2019, 10:13   #184
cgcsb

Quote:
Land changes; we adapt.The land cannot and should not be treated as some kind of folk museum. Nature has her own ways and some posters appreciate this.
nature has yet to develop a defence against turf hoppers. Perhaps some teredactyl like creature will evolve and decapitate the humans footing the turf.
11-07-2019, 10:16   #185
cgcsb

Quote:
lol... The turf I buy at a very small cost as I am too disabled to cut it myself, is dug in the next field by a neighbour who cuts his own and a bit extra. For their winter heating. He does me a great kindness.

urban/rural divide..
Good thing you're not a 'blow in' all you'd get is curtain twitching, one word answers and thinly veiled accusations of immorality
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 10:18   #186
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayoAreMagic View Post
Actually no, it is about preserving habitats. Sprawling masses of concrete weren't exactly the preferred living quarters for the corncrake and hen harrier last time I checked... Im simply asking what about those habitats? Surely all construction should be forced to go up in cities instead of out, from now on?
Yes, that should be the case also.
11-07-2019, 10:33   #187
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Always took you for a culchie, Emmet.

I can't say this hasn't strained my admiration for you.

Didn't it ever occur to blame the smog on the cars, and not our God given turf?

Honestly, Emmet. I expected better. Tell us a toilet tale and all shall be forgiven.
No, that’s a scurrilous thought, Dublin “bred and buttered”, as they do be sayin’.

I blame the smog mostly on the coal but I worry about burning anything these days that could lead to the “pea soupers” returning.

One thing I will say in defence of the turf and that’s that it does give off a lovely smell. I’m out “west” at the moment and have visited a couple of cottages, you know the types, no TV, main living room with four rooms off it and a big open fire with a heap of turf burning all day. Mixed with the damp it gives quite a sweet “musty” scent to the dwelling.

I’m glad your admiration hasn’t been strained, that is reassuring as I know you “country” folk can have a bit of a “chip” on your shoulder when it comes to us Dubs. But do be careful not to “strain” anything else. I’d recommend adding a few prunes to your porridge to avoid this.
11-07-2019, 11:09   #188
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peatys View Post
€min wage/hr per person for time spent bringing it home and it becomes the most inefficient source of heat available.
I never get people who put a cost of their time like this for stuff they are doing outside of work, do you spend all your spare time doing things that are making you money? Do you put a cost on the time you spend cooking dinner and decide it’s cheaper to buy takeaway as if I paid myself 10 euro an hour cooking my dinner it would cost more

Stuff you do in your own time shouldn’t be looked at on a cost/hour basis. If I cut down a few trees, chop them up and burn them the only cost is a small bit of petrol for the chainsaw that’s the bottom line. Nobody sits down and says “well if I was paying myself 10 euro an hour that would have cost me 80 euro so that timber isn’t really free”. Nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
I'm wondering why you're continuing with this clearly ridiculous line of reasoning. Dublin's canal cordon revealed tat 70% of people enter the centre by sustainable mode, public transport, walking and cycling. If those people lived in rural areas they'd all drive long distances to work, i.e. an unsustainable mode. Why is this hard for you to understand? More and more people are living in cities now, therfore reducing their emissions from transport.
Who said driving is unsustainable? It’s as sustainable as any other form of transport. As for the love for city living and packing people into small houses on top of each other, no thanks.

Last edited by nox001; 11-07-2019 at 11:13.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 11:22   #189
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
I'm wondering why you're continuing with this clearly ridiculous line of reasoning. Dublin's canal cordon revealed tat 70% of people enter the centre by sustainable mode, public transport, walking and cycling.
And Look! A barge comes bringing from Athy and other far flung towns mythologies - Kavanagh,

(Those mythologies were turf, cgcsb, our dark, national memory)

Have some respect for Patrick Kavanagh and the rural people of Ireland before you mention the canals in objection to the bogs of Ireland. We heated your tenements.

I have set my face to ruddy/ highly frustrated.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 11:27   #190
oldbee

Quote:
The land cannot and should not be treated as some kind of folk museum.
Yes it should.
11-07-2019, 11:35   #191
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbee View Post
Yes it should.
What all of it?
11-07-2019, 11:36   #192
oldbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
What all of it?
All of the bog, yes.
11-07-2019, 13:00   #193
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbee View Post
All of the bog, yes.
What do you mean by folk museum?

Surely it's those of us who enjoy a working bog who don't want to turn it into a folk museum?

A bog is a living, breathing thing. Human interaction with the bog (and on the bog) is part of its life.

Maybe this was your point, and I have taken you up wrong? I sure don't see how anyone who loves and *actually uses* the bogs thinks of them as a folk museum.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 13:06   #194
Dakota Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
But turf is so much cheaper. Cost really should be considered when discussing efficiency.

Not wanting to split hairs, but that chart is really about efficacy, not efficiency.

You're literally comparing 1 tonne of turf to 1 tonne of oil, while ignoring cost -- a huge factor.
They couldn’t charge a carbon tax on it so banned it instead.
11-07-2019, 13:11   #195
beggars_bush

Kids get a sense of an honest days work when saving turf

Honest, as in there's no monetary gain from it
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size