Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Some of them are shyte at playing football and therefore cannot justify their hefty salaries

All were offered varying salary levels based on their varying abilities.

To say that they are "shyte" is ridiculous - they are among the best players in the world - super skills and super fitness levels. Some are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

All were offered varying salary levels based on their varying abilities.

To say that they are "shyte" is ridiculous - they are among the best players in the world - super skills and super fitness levels. Some are better than others.

Do you think Mezut Ozil can justify a salary of £ 350,000 per week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you think Mezut Ozil can justify a salary of £ 350,000 per week?

He has been highly paid by several clubs including Real Madrid, so professional clubs obviously think he is worth the money.

If I was a betting man I'd say most of the current Tour De France riders are still doping.

Especially if you are competing near the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I was a betting man I'd say most of the current Tour De France riders are still doping.

Especially if you are competing near the front.

I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion.....

dinneenp wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion.....

I kinda think you're correct of course, but listening to all the Irish media going mad over recent days and our new sporting success, the silence on the subject was deafening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I love snooker , I love darts, I dont like rugby, cycling , gaa etc,

however cycling , rugby and gaa, are at least "sports" played by people who exert themselves and is a proper sport...professional or not in some cases

as much as I love darts and snooker, its not a ****ing sport, regardless how they hype it....they are games, well payed games, but games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

however cycling , rugby and gaa, are at least "sports" played by people who exert themselves and is a proper sport...professional or not in some cases

as much as I love darts and snooker, its not a ****ing sport, regardless how they hype it....they are games, well payed games, but games

So what?

This distinction between sports and games is trivial. The common thing that I enjoy about snooker and rugby is the competition.

The convention is to cover them both under 'sport' so, colloquially, they're sports. Nothing to do with hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Antares35 wrote: »
    But women are people :D So if you hold a door for a woman because she's a person not because she's a woman, how will she differentiate that from holding the door for her because shes a woman? How will she know whether to be angry? Perhaps for the avoidance of doubt men should state why they are holding the door. If he states he is holding the door because she is a person, she can say thank you and walk through. If he says it's because she's a woman, she can become enraged and refuse to move until it slams in her face :)

To keep on topic, my unpopular opinion is that cake smashes for one year olds are a literal waste of money and a crass display of well wastefulness.

What's a cake smash? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What's a cake smash? :confused:

Where a beautiful birthday cake is made for the baby and they basically just let the child demolish it and take pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where a beautiful birthday cake is made for the baby and they basically just let the child demolish it and take pictures.

And the same parents will be wondering why their lovely angel is throwing his breakfast all over the walls the following day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I have never heard of this! Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I like Steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That I am an AWESOME human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,526 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That I am an AWESOME human being.

We have a winner. can a mod close the thread now? we can never top that.

I kid, I kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Tennis is incredibly boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

dubstarr wrote: »
    I like Steps.

So do I!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't really argue reminds me of Chess they want to put that in the 2024 Olympics

https://www.chess.com/news/view/chess-put-forward-to-join-paris-2024-olympic-games

When I think of it they have archery and curling in the Olympics.
    At one time they had tug of war!

https://www.britannica.com/list/7-canceled-or-reintroduced-olympic-sports

Plus synchronised swimming is one I feel that is on the edge of being called a sport. It must be up there with dressage - the horse dancing yoke.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I like Steps.

More of an S Club 7 person myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

And you’re not allowed to like both?!

And you’re not allowed to like both?!

absolutely not. It is like blur vs oasis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

absolutely not. It is like blur vs oasis

Only with more eye scratching !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Well im shocked.Shocked i tell ya.:D

The whole celebration of Philip Schofield for being "so brave" in coming out was farcical. He made a fool of his wife and a mockery of his marriage. Imagine realising that the entire life you'd built with someone was a lie, that they knew about the whole time. His wife should have been given the tonnes of support dished out, but instead people were tripping themselves up to congratulate him for living a lie. It's 2020. Nobody cares if you're gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The whole celebration of Philip Schofield for being "so brave" in coming out was farcical. He made a fool of his wife and a mockery of his marriage. Imagine realising that the entire life you'd built with someone was a lie, that they knew about the whole time. His wife should have been given the tonnes of support dished out, but instead people were tripping themselves up to congratulate him for living a lie. It's 2020. Nobody cares if you're gay.

shame on you, you must admire his bravery!!

he had an ongoing affair for what, 30 years?

like anyone having an affair, ****ing scumbag!

• Advertisement

maybe its me, i was not surprised he was gay, i was shocked years ago when my wife told me he was married to a woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My two cents on it is that she probably knew and was happy to go along with it and stay in the lifestyle she’s in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

maybe its me, i was not surprised he was gay, i was shocked years ago when my wife told me he was married to a woman
    The Big Shock would have been if Schofield was Straight.

My two cents on it is that she probably knew and was happy to go along with it and stay in the lifestyle she’s in.

I wouldn't like to put a probability on it but it's certainly possible that it was an arrangement. It's pretty unlikely he could have had a 30 year affair and not have his wife find out. And other people are free eto run their relationships any way they like.

If it was arranged and part of the deal then it's not cheating. But we don't know so probably best not pretend we know.

My UO is that his sexuality, or anyone else's for that matter, is none of our business.
    If you care about a strangers sexuality, you need something else to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wouldn't like to put a probability on it but it's certainly possible that it was an arrangement. It's pretty unlikely he could have had a 30 year affair and not have his wife find out. And other people are free eto run their relationships any way they like.

If it was arranged and part of the deal then it's not cheating. But we don't know so probably best not pretend we know.

I did mean possible not probably.

NIMAN wrote: »
    My UO is that his sexuality, or anyone else's for that matter, is none of our business.
    If you care about a strangers sexuality, you need something else to worry about.

True. Like I said, nobody cares if he's gay. It's the media outpouring and social media "hero" binge and vomit that got me. I couldn't give a shíte who he sleeps with. :)

True. Like I said, nobody cares if he's gay. It's the media outpouring and social media "hero" binge and vomit that got me. I couldn't give a shíte who he sleeps with. :)

correct.
    to me he is a cheating adulterer, who treated his wife like dirt.

He should be criticized, not praised for sleeping around and lying to his wife, but they wont for fear people will be called anti gay.

its ridiculous

correct.
    to me he is a cheating adulterer, who treated his wife like dirt.

He should be criticized, not praised for sleeping around and lying to his wife, but they wont for fear people will be called anti gay.

its ridiculous

Yeah but you don't know what his and his wife's relationship arrangement is. Maybe it was based on monogamy and he cheated, maybe it wasn't based on monogamy and his same sex relationship was fine.

Yeah but you don't know what his and his wife's relationship arrangement is. Maybe it was based on monogamy and he cheated, maybe it wasn't based on monogamy and his same sex relationship was fine.

how does that alter the fact of him portrayed as some "brave" figure

If your sisters husband was cheating on her for 30 years, would you be calling him brave ?

If your sisters husband was cheating on her for 30 years, would you be calling him brave ?
    If Schofield was a woman he would be a slapper !

Yeah, you don't know if it was cheating or not. That was the point of the post you quoted. Not sure if you missed the point or just ignored it.

again you missed the point

even if his wife and he had an open relationship, it still does make him "brave"

which part of this are you having difficulty with ?

even if his wife and he had an open relationship, it still does make him "brave"

The right thing to do would have been to come out years ago when he first knew he was gay. The Brave thing to do ~ ~ might have interfered with his career back then. Might not have been as popular with the Ladies ! !

There's far too many restrictions for a disease that has a 99.96% survival rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's far too many restrictions for a disease that has a 99.96% survival rate.

Maybe, but we don't have much info on this little fcuker yet, prevention is better than cure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So everyone's had the virus so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like Steps.

The ABBA of the 90’s

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Airbus507

In my opinion most wives are not sexually attracted to their husband. They had sex with men wmthat were attracted to in their younger years, but when it comes time to settling down they want to find a dependable man they can control.

It seems Like the Black Covid-19 Version is Not Nearly as Dangerous.

And BLM Protestors have some Super Power Against Covid-19 ! !

Omackeral wrote: »
    The ABBA of the 90’s
    Hardly when you consider the Impact ABBA had on Music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Airbus507 wrote:
    In my opinion most wives are not sexually attracted to their husband. They had sex with men wmthat were attracted to in their younger years, but when it comes time to settling down they want to find a dependable man they can control.

Or maybe some didnt bond with your partners in a functional and respectful manner

I have no opinion on how brave/cowardly it was. It wouldn't make the news if i was in charge of news.
    Doesn't change the fact that you have no clue whether he was cheating or what his relationship with his wife was based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

blinding wrote: »
    The right thing to do would have been to come out years ago when he first knew he was gay. The Brave thing to do ~ ~ might have interfered with his career back then. Might not have been as popular with the Ladies ! !

Sexuality confuses me to no end. If a previously straight guy has homosexual sex, the conclusion is often that he is gay or on the way, whilst if a previously gay man has heterosexual sex, he is still considered a gay man perhaps occasionally bi. It seems we define people by homosexual acts but not heterosexual acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Airbus507 wrote: »

I think most people get what they think they want. Many men grow up with over bearing mom's and seem to replicate that in their marriage.

But it's not all the same stereotype.

Advertisement