Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Antares35 wrote: »
    But women are people :D So if you hold a door for a woman because she's a person not because she's a woman,...

Yeah I'd support holding doors for peope when it's practical. Holding the door for others when it's practical (thus polite) isn't a problem anyone has raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kneeling before a premier league game does nothing to eradicate racism.

It's easy for a bunch of pampered millionaires this side of the pond to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Premier league players are worthy of their wages

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Is it not exhausting to undertake all the mental gymnastics you've outlined above to make a simple decision whether to hold a door for someone or not? I couldn't live like that, I'd be worn out by lunchtime.

Lay off. The guy is obviously autistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Premier league players are worthy of their wages

Why? Half of them don't earn it for playing football.

• Advertisement

Why? Half of them don't earn it for playing football.

They earn it for playing football and because they play football.

They earn it for playing football and because they play football.

Some of them are shyte at playing football and therefore cannot justify their hefty salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think some people end up settling and getting married to somebody they don't find attractive or even have a connection with just so they can be seen as doing the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

I think some people end up settling and getting married to somebody they don't find attractive or even have a connection with just so they can be seen as doing the done thing.

Add to that many, not all, women do it have kids etc because that's what they want and once they have it they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh how I laughed at that one.

You do have a point overall.

I'm a hobbyist android developer and I was recently working on a kernel for my fone to improve it. Guess what I found in the source code, explicit code that gives facebook app advanced 'privileges' which in layman's terms means the app will run in the background and not go into standby - when the phone is in standby. This is coded into the android system before you take it out of the box and before you even install facebook in the first place.

To me that's outrageous and I think there should be laws prohibiting that sort of thing.

Sounds like total BS to me.

Go on show us the code?

• Advertisement

Some of them are shyte at playing football and therefore cannot justify their hefty salaries

All were offered varying salary levels based on their varying abilities.

To say that they are "shyte" is ridiculous - they are among the best players in the world - super skills and super fitness levels. Some are better than others.

All were offered varying salary levels based on their varying abilities.

To say that they are "shyte" is ridiculous - they are among the best players in the world - super skills and super fitness levels. Some are better than others.

Do you think Mezut Ozil can justify a salary of £ 350,000 per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you think Mezut Ozil can justify a salary of £ 350,000 per week?

He has been highly paid by several clubs including Real Madrid, so professional clubs obviously think he is worth the money.

If I was a betting man I'd say most of the current Tour De France riders are still doping.

Especially if you are competing near the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I was a betting man I'd say most of the current Tour De France riders are still doping.

Especially if you are competing near the front.

I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion.....

dinneenp wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion.....

I kinda think you're correct of course, but listening to all the Irish media going mad over recent days and our new sporting success, the silence on the subject was deafening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I love snooker , I love darts, I dont like rugby, cycling , gaa etc,

however cycling , rugby and gaa, are at least "sports" played by people who exert themselves and is a proper sport...professional or not in some cases

as much as I love darts and snooker, its not a ****ing sport, regardless how they hype it....they are games, well payed games, but games

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

however cycling , rugby and gaa, are at least "sports" played by people who exert themselves and is a proper sport...professional or not in some cases

as much as I love darts and snooker, its not a ****ing sport, regardless how they hype it....they are games, well payed games, but games

So what?

This distinction between sports and games is trivial. The common thing that I enjoy about snooker and rugby is the competition.

The convention is to cover them both under 'sport' so, colloquially, they're sports. Nothing to do with hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

But women are people :D So if you hold a door for a woman because she's a person not because she's a woman, how will she differentiate that from holding the door for her because shes a woman? How will she know whether to be angry? Perhaps for the avoidance of doubt men should state why they are holding the door. If he states he is holding the door because she is a person, she can say thank you and walk through. If he says it's because she's a woman, she can become enraged and refuse to move until it slams in her face :)

To keep on topic, my unpopular opinion is that cake smashes for one year olds are a literal waste of money and a crass display of well wastefulness.

What's a cake smash? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What's a cake smash? :confused:

Where a beautiful birthday cake is made for the baby and they basically just let the child demolish it and take pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where a beautiful birthday cake is made for the baby and they basically just let the child demolish it and take pictures.

And the same parents will be wondering why their lovely angel is throwing his breakfast all over the walls the following day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I have never heard of this! Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I like Steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That I am an AWESOME human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That I am an AWESOME human being.

We have a winner. can a mod close the thread now? we can never top that.

I kid, I kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Tennis is incredibly boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

dubstarr wrote: »
    I like Steps.

So do I!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't really argue reminds me of Chess they want to put that in the 2024 Olympics

https://www.chess.com/news/view/chess-put-forward-to-join-paris-2024-olympic-games

When I think of it they have archery and curling in the Olympics.
    At one time they had tug of war!

https://www.britannica.com/list/7-canceled-or-reintroduced-olympic-sports

Plus synchronised swimming is one I feel that is on the edge of being called a sport. It must be up there with dressage - the horse dancing yoke.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

dubstarr wrote: »
    I like Steps.

More of an S Club 7 person myself

• Advertisement

More of an S Club 7 person myself

And you’re not allowed to like both?!

Advertisement