Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

FYI: Schedule change... MOTOGP RACE IS ON AT 12.00 TODAY!!

C'MON DOVI!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This **** is crazy :eek:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Well, that was a cracker!!

Delighted for Marquez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Delighted for Petrucci too. You wouldn't have predicted that race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I can't believe where the top 3 of the championship (before the race started) ended up finishing.

It's like everyone in the field follows a great race with an absolutely sh1te one.
    I said it before in this thread, if a rider can piece together just 3 decent podiums then they'd have a good hold on the championship.

We've had 9 rounds and the leader has only 115 points. MM would have beaten that in 5 rounds and probably has done every year since he started in MotoGP.

Gotta say tho, it makes for fantastic viewing....

I was hoping Mir would pip Qua on the last lap to tighten things up a little more in the standings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Last lap battle between Fabio , Maverick and Mir may work out to be decisive in the championship battle.

Aragon should suit the Ducatis next week

Infoanon wrote: »
    Natural progression with Petronas to Moto 2 ...

What a difference a month makes ! Jake Dixons upturn in speed has made him favourite to retain the Petronas seat leaving no option for McPhee to move up....

McPhee very unlucky today to be taken out by

Beltby wrote: »
    Delighted for Petrucci too. You wouldn't have predicted that race.

That podium - not in a million years.

The winner - finding 1.2 seconds between FP3 and 4 had him on a lot of people's radar.

Laughed when Suzi Perry corrected Hodgey when he said no one predicted that winner - Suzi " I did "

What a difference a month makes ! Jake Dixons upturn in speed has made him favourite to retain the Petronas seat ...

He was inconsolable today after his fall the poor chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Random question.
    I heard years ago on the pre moto gp build up that the bikes seat vibrates to let them know when the traction control is setting in.
    Is this still the case does anyone know?
    Has this crossed over into any of the road bikes!?

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Random question.
    I heard years ago on the pre moto gp build up that the bikes seat vibrates to let them know when the traction control is setting in.
    Is this still the case does anyone know?
    Has this crossed over into any of the road bikes!?

I don't think this was ever the case.

Certain types of TC will cause a vibration just by the way it works but I'm not aware of any vibration ever purposely being applied.

MotoGP doesn't really use TC much these days. They have launch control and maybe anti wheelie functions but because they purposely slide now (thanks Gary McCoy!) there's no need for TC.

I could be completely wrong though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

They don’t used TC these days?

I seem to remember Jorge Lorenzo going stratospheric at Some race after a practice start or something because the TC was only engaged after using launch control by dropping down a gear and he never actually dropped down a gear.

Dani Pedrosa at Aragon also when Marc clipped a wire that screwed up the TC.

Traction control is definitely used.

I’m not saying they need but if its meant to be there and then it’s suddenly not then it’s usually take off time.

XsApollo wrote: »
    I seem to remember Jorge Lorenzo going stratospheric at Some race after a practice start or something because the TC was only engaged after using launch control by dropping down a gear and he never actually dropped down a gear.
    They were talking about this yesterday. Launch control is disengaged by braking hard and they were saying some riders yesterday were not going to use it because the first corner was not a hard braking corner.

TC didn't serve Rossi much use yesterday. There were also several big highsides over the weekend so I'm note sure to what extent it's used.

Also powersliding... who do they powerslide with TC enabled? Or is it all done with the mapping?

Anyway.... I'm fairly certain they don't have vibrating seats. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Launch control, traction control and the actual amount of power the engine emits can all be controlled remotely, if it's allowed I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Scotty # wrote: »
    They were talking about this yesterday. Launch control is disengaged by braking hard and they were saying some riders yesterday were not going to use it because the first corner was not a hard braking corner.

TC didn't serve Rossi much use yesterday. There were also several big highsides over the weekend so I'm note sure to what extent it's used.

Also powersliding... who do they powerslide with TC enabled? Or is it all done with the mapping?

Anyway.... I'm fairly certain they don't have vibrating seats. :D

I’d say if a tyre lets go as in totally let’s go then no traction control Settings that a GP rider would use would catch it , I imagine it could be set up to catch it but then the bike wouldn’t be worth riding.
    They definitely use it tho.

Seeing a Ducati on track fully leaned over with an open throttle and you could hear it working pretty clearly on that Bike.
    Was very noticeable on the 800’s when it was working , not sure if it’s noticeable nowadays as it’s been a while since I was at a gp.

From what I've read, traction control can be programmed for each bend on a track for each rider along with lean angle, revs, etc.

Since 2019, Dorna supply sealed ECU's for each bike which only allow a certain amount of parameters be customised. Teams are prohibited from using their own or any custom software.

So, why we saw so many highsides this weekend is possibly down to the TC not kicking in because it hadn't reached the required lean angle before activating but that's just me guessing.

If you haven't seen it already, this was Marini's highside on Saturday...

And Millers....

From what I've read, traction control can be programmed for each bend on a track for each rider along with lean angle, revs, etc.
    ]

I think it was the late Nicki Hayden who had to retire from a race because the mapping for the TC had got confused to which part of the circuit he was on !

Ianone's appeal being heard tomorrow with a decision Thursday I think.

Marc not returning for either of the Aragons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think it was the late Nicki Hayden who had to retire from a race because the mapping for the TC had got confused to which part of the circuit he was on !

That was in Mugello, not a place you would want full power in the wrong corner.

• Advertisement

So, why we saw so many highsides this weekend is possibly down to the TC not kicking in because it hadn't reached the required lean angle before activating but that's just me guessing.
    /QUOTE]

The main reason was because it was wet, cold and very slippery, Le Mans is slow to dry at the best of times.
    Most racing is held at tracks with high temps, 30-40°C plus in many cases.
    Le Mans was 16°C IIRC this race and it was very slippery.
    No TC will save you in those conditions and if it did it would likely slow you down so much that you would be uncompetitive.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The main reason was because it was wet, cold and very slippery,
    Yea I agree. The TC is set to only activate after a certain lean angle but, due to the coldness of the track over the weekend (only 9c in some sessions), rear wheels where spinning at far smaller lean angles than usual and possible outside the 'TC active' settings. Hence we had riders highside where they would never normally highside. Just my theory.

Cold tracks is going to be a problem for the rest of the season I'd say.

Simon Patterson's podcast talked a little about TC this week. Vinales turned off TC and launch control on the grid thinking he could just go with the 'feel' of the bike. He dropped from 5th to 2nd last on the first lap.

Ianone's appeal is actually tomorrow (not today) with a verdict due within a few days. I don't hold much hope for him.

Iannone's time has passed IMHO, he was and is tremendously talented but his obsession with plastic surgery and instagram instead of improving his results have left him in a bad place even before his doping scandal.

Time has moved on and there are proven younger faster riders that have no clouds hanging over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Iannone's time has passed IMHO, he was and is tremendously talented but his obsession with plastic surgery and instagram instead of improving his results have left him in a bad place even before his doping scandal.

Time has moved on and there are proven younger faster riders that have no clouds hanging over them.

Couldnt agree more.

Why is Aprilla waiting on the outcome of this appeal. surely they have a clause that allows them to drop him in situation like this

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more.

Why is Aprilla waiting on the outcome of this appeal. surely they have a clause that allows them to drop him in situation like this

Maybe they are waiting to hear the outcome so they can invoke that clause.
    Once its cut and dried then they can play their cards, before that, Iannone might start another legal argument with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Davis lost his seat to Rinaldi for 2021 in WSBK

Rossi out. Covid.

3 DNF's in a row and now this. He's really having a bad year. At least he's not in contention.

Incidentally, 6 of Vinales crew were not at LeMans after having tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jorge to return then? He couldn't do the Barca wildcard so could take this instead.

• Advertisement

Rossi out. Covid.

3 DNF's in a row and now this. He's really having a bad year. At least he's not in contention.

Incidentally, 6 of Vinales crew were not at LeMans after having tested positive.

Hopefully Rossi makes a full recovery, I was only saying earlierto a colleague that I hope the championship isn't decided by someone testing positive for Covid and missing races.

IF Yamaha decide to run 2 bikes then Jorge should be riding .

IF Yamaha decide to run 2 bikes then Jorge should be riding .
    I think they have to as per regulations. Not sure what the deadline is though as regards this weekend but they'll certainly have to have someone for next weekend.

This mornings schedule delayed due to it being only 7C on track.

In other news... Danilo's been stung on the face by a wasp and it's caused his whole face to swell. It won't effect his weekend.

I think they have to as per regulations. Not sure what the deadline is though as regards this weekend but they'll certainly have to have someone for next weekend.

This mornings schedule delayed due to it being only 7C on track.

I think they are allowed miss 3 races before having to run a bike - from a championship point of view it's one less bike to take points of Mir and Dovi

Yamaha take top 3 spots in FP1. Vinales fastest (shocker!). AM 4th!

Ducati all in 2nd half. Possible due to temps still below 14C. I'd expect this to change in mid day sun when temps much higher. Sunday expected to be 20C.

This will be the first time in years that there's no Champion on the grid. Also, no previous Aragon winner on the grid.

I think they are allowed miss 3 races before having to run a bike - from a championship point of view it's one less bike to take points of Mir and Dovi

Yamaha have confirmed they won't be replacing Rossi for Aragon and are hoping he's back for Valentia. If not, they likely won't be calling on Lorenzo... "In the test at Portimao, Lorenzo has shown that he needs to spend more time on track. He spent so much time off it, he lost his pace and his braking. If Vale cannot be fit for Valencia 1, we have time to find out another solution" - Massimo Meregalli

Arbolino out now too after a passenger on his flight tested positive.

• Advertisement

Zarco and Rabat the fastest Ducatis in FP2.....

Yamaha , Honda and Suzuki setting the pace with Aleix doing miracles on the Aprilla as usual and Pol showing pace on the KTM

What has happened to Ducati? They were very fast here last year and the year before?

What has happened to Ducati? They were very fast here last year and the year before?

Tyres ? , Ducati managements over reliance on aero results and ignoring rider feedback.

Hodgie and Huewen highlighting Peccos struggles and the fact that he was supposed to be the rider that had solved the Ducatis problems according to Ducati management.
    (they where taking a shot at Ducati )

Schedule change again for this week due to the cold weather.

Sunday (Irish times):
    Moto3: 11:00
    Moto 2: 12:20
    MotoGP: 14:00

This is subject to further change!

Unfortunately it now clashes with the WSB.

I'm surprised they pushed it and hour later and not an hour sooner (as they did at Le Mans). 3pm local time now for the main race which could lead to track temps considerably cooling as tires wear off at the same time.

Big highside for Fabio this morning. Spent some time in the medic centre. Says he's OK but is using a crutch to walk.

• Advertisement

Big highside for Fabio this morning. Spent some time in the medic centre. Says he's OK but is using a crutch to walk.

Declared fit. Some craziness in Moto 3 quali - expect penalties

? Slipstreams? The only session I didn't watch!

Marquez has found his mojo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Great first few Laps from Rea.

Any word on what Eugene Laverty is doing next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Any word on what Eugene Laverty is doing next year?

Word is BMW may run a satilite team tbc. Maybe BSB?

legrand wrote: »
    Word is BMW may run a satilite team tbc. Maybe BSB?

I think he is past it now. Hasn't really done much to warrant a ride at world level for a while now. Better let some young gun have a go.

He'd struggle in bsb too.

Gerloff is impressing me now. Rumour that Cameron beaubier (sp?) is going to moto2 to roberts ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I think he is past it now. Hasn't really done much to warrant a ride at world level for a while now. Better let some young gun have a go.

He'd struggle in bsb too.

Unfortunately I think you're correct. Big fan of Laverty and really enjoyed watching him in Supersport and then the early years in WSBK when he was winning on the Aprilia. He had a lot of momentum behind him back then and probably shouldn't have gone for a second rate ride in MotoGP.
    Had he stayed in WSBK, what might have been.

Also, I was only thinking of this recently. During his time of success, wasn't Phil Marron his chief engineer (or whatever you call them). Phil now works with Toprak who won today's race and has been doing great things ever since he was joined by Phil. So it got me thinking, was a lot of Eugene's success partially down to Phil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This is getting interesting.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement