Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

or at least the security of the inside of the US SF tents anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

MRE-€15
    Coke-€1.50
    Scaring the s**te out of your mates- Priceless

loving the slang, MRE. Meals Rejected by Ethiopians

Meals Rarely Edible, or three lies for the price of one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm definitely gonna have to get a box of them!!! next time I'm on tactics, i'll have my own "Pyro"

They could be handy for keeping other people on their toes, for example wait until your platoon commander goes to take a dump, then BANG!!! STAND TO!

Would be interesting to see his reaction...

• Advertisement

yeah, they lobbed one into the jax on one of the shakyboats (SBS)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Craigsy wrote: »
    Well it was invented by a bored SAS lad know as Yokel.

Knowing the typical US soldier as I do, I find it hard to believe that they had to wait for an Englishman to come up with the concept. I'm fairly sure that someone in the US Army figured it out in the first week they were on issue.

The little bottle of tabasco sauce that comes in MREs makes an interesting extra bit of 'fragmentation', by the way.

NTM

Knowing the typical US soldier as I do, I find it hard to believe that they had to wait for an Englishman to come up with the concept. I'm fairly sure that someone in the US Army figured it out in the first week they were on issue.

The little bottle of tabasco sauce that comes in MREs makes an interesting extra bit of 'fragmentation', by the way.

NTM

I'm just repeating what i heard, been having a look at mre's on ebay, not that i'd ever ever do anything like that, why im sure its illegal;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm just repeating what i heard, been having a look at mre's on ebay, not that i'd ever ever do anything like that, why im sure its illegal;)

the only illegal bit is the selling of the MRE's in the first place. It's not exactly an explosive and as long as noone gets hurt you are/or should be in the clear.

Note: I am not a lawyer and I don't accept responsibility if you get arrested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

One of the funniest things I've read.

From http://aussiearmy.org/forum/index.php?topic=112.msg45149#msg45149
    Ah righto, well there is a thing called a Tabasco Bomb which you can make from an American MRE, you split open the heater pack, pour the dry powder in to a bottle, then add a heap (and I mean a heap) of Tabasco, give it a shake and leave it somewhere with the lid off, and you will gas everyone.

We were bored one day and decided to make a Bushmaster airtight, fill the back up with bored diggers and a secco with a camera, grab a bomb and pass it around until we couldn't take it anymore. We didn't know about shaking it, so when it wasn't working some champ grabbed it, shook it which made the gas spew from the top very quickly, instantly making us all cough until we spewed on each other, I stumbled out of the back hatch of the bushie, blinded by Tabasco gas, tears running down my face, hardly breathing, falling on to the ground whilst vomiting on myself, followed by about 4 more blokes fly out and fall on top of me. We them continued to thrash around on the ground coughing and gasping for ear for about 20 minutes...

It was funnier watching the video later on though.

So yeah, my pet hate are Tabasco bombs.

• Advertisement

Documentary coming out.

http://www.thewaywegetbymovie.com/

We stopped off at Bangor on the way over last time. Sure enough, they were there.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Manic that sure was heartwarming to watch, and humbling to think that those older folk continue to spend they time waiting to welcome troops back home, the guy with the phones really stikes a cord..thats thinking with your head for sure, something a person might want to do as soon as their feet hit the ground is ring someone... will wait to see the whole thing when it airs, God damn dusty in here tonight guys..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

iceage wrote: »
    Manic that sure was heartwarming to watch, and humbling to think that those older folk continue to spend they time waiting to welcome troops back home, the guy with the phones really stikes a cord..thats thinking with your head for sure, something a person might want to do as soon as their feet hit the ground is ring someone... will wait to see the whole thing when it airs, God damn dusty in here tonight guys..:o

Your right Iceage,great to see that people are taking an interest in these events,it must make your job all the worthwhile Manic.

Its getting fierce emotional in here tonight:p Mind you,that could be the pints and whisky talking:p

Whiskey......the devils pish :p Now cider thats another story....any crack lads?

Whiskey......the devils pish :p Now cider thats another story....any crack lads?

Ah now Iceage!An aul JD and coke goes down well after a few pints of Guinness!

Sure Cider is being ruined nowadays by the young wans mixing it with blackcurrent:eek:

Spent last night,drunk on boards adding people as friends,then lifting weights in the room with the lights off while listening to the Doors:oThats my craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Ibiza is the greatest place on Earth.

Through beer googles, maybe.:p

My interest now seems to be moving from an army cadetship to a naval cadetship, just wondering (although i think i probably know the answer) Do you have to move to cork and the west permanently for a navy job?, (i know the cadet programme but afterwords)

Poccington wrote: »

I heard one side of the island is very scenic alright,I'am sure that was the side you where at?

No more drink for me for a good while!Serious case of the DTs:(

• Advertisement

Oh Oh....Told ya, Whiskey the devils pish!!!:P

Or as my hero Billy Connelly once said "The worst PINT i ever had......Barcardi and blackcurrent :("

Oh Oh....Told ya, Whiskey the devils pish!!!:P

The whiskey was grand,it was the vodka,morgans and southern comfort that dident help!:p

What about Guiness and blackcurrent?!Blasphamy!

vodka,morgans and southern comfort that dident help

WAYHEY!! Cocktails..

no point offering sympathy mate is there, Drink lots of waters (Ltrs) salty food helps, thats just me..excuse for a fry up :)

Had a nasty run in with some red wine a while back..Jebus Crust, the worst hangover I've had in a while.

Excuse to get out for a jog, sweat it out of ya!

WAYHEY!! Cocktails..

no point offering sympathy mate is there, Drink lots of waters (Ltrs) salty food helps, thats just me..excuse for a fry up :)

Had a nasty run in with some red wine a while back..Jebus Crust, the worst hangover I've had in a while.

Excuse to get out for a jog, sweat it out of ya!

The up side of drink,Fry-ups!Wine is lethal,grand one night,kill ya the next!

I went for a run today,thought I was going to die on the way back but I made it any how.

For tomorrow. Ahem....UP TIPP!!!!! Thats all. :D

Ermm...

Go Giants?

NTM

All Ireland Hurling final between Tipperary and Killkenny tomorrow. I'll let you know how they get on. Tipp are going to win.

Hope so...got a crisp 50 on it.!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

They'd want to. Otherwise it's time they turned the "welcme to tipp- the home of hurling" signs around, so you only see them when you leave the county...

:D Yeah and theres also a few other signs saying "welcome to the sunny South East"!! Now theres a contradiction in terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Nah Lugnaquillia is!!:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nope, the Judo mat is :D

jpngold4087.jpg

Ahh bollix. Good game though.

Ahh bollix. Good game though.

Harsh Penalty.It was a great game is right,the ref let alot go which made the game imo.Some rough tackles going in though!

Six weeks out due to injury and old bastarditis....First 3.5 mile jog this morning in ages, a bit stiff but smiling:):):P

Happy Arthurs Day:D

2 euro pints,hard to beat!

• Advertisement

Went on a hill walk today.

The wind was unreal, don't think I've ever been out walking in anything that strong.

been away the last few days to the land of strongbow on draught :) Did I miss anything spectacular?

Edited....Hmm I see I did! Lets try and catch up...

been away the last few days to the land of strongbow on draught :) Did I miss anything spectacular?

Edited....Hmm I see I did! Lets try and catch up...

Its been flat out since you have been gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Went on a hill walk today.

The wind was unreal, don't think I've ever been out walking in anything that strong.

Hmmmm, i was on a windy hillwalk that day too, i remember cause its the day after my brothers b-day. is it possible we shared a ****e talk or some mad coinsedence we were on a hillwalk the same day?

Hmmmm, i was on a windy hillwalk that day too, i remember cause its the day after my brothers b-day. is it possible we shared a ****e talk or some mad coinsedence we were on a hillwalk the same day?

I'm pretty positive you were on the same hill walk and it's nearly guaranteed that we had a ****e talk... Now I'm just trying to figure out who you are. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I'm pretty positive you were on the same hill walk and it's nearly guaranteed that we had a ****e talk... Now I'm just trying to figure out who you are. :pac:

Haha, were you on the one today by any chance? have an idea who you are:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

From the Gavin Young Face book page

The Defence Forces are fulfilling these requests for assistance from County Councils, Local Authorities and the HSE. We estimate that 10,000 sandbags have been distributed by army personnel in these towns.

*Snigger* I had no idea there were that many of us in the RDF these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Haha, were you on the one today by any chance? have an idea who you are:P

I know who he is! :P
    BigDuffman wrote: »
    From the Gavin Young Face book page

The Defence Forces are fulfilling these requests for assistance from County Councils, Local Authorities and the HSE. We estimate that 10,000 sandbags have been distributed by army personnel in these towns.

*Snigger* I had no idea there were that many of us in the RDF these days :D

i heard they brought lads out of retirement to bring up the numbers. and why else do you think we got those extra 200 recruits! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

What were the military police doing in Santry today?

Everyone ready for Christmas? Anyone stung with duties I feel sorry for ya! But then again you get an army dinner so it's not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lily_white08

Hiya!

Just wondering if I post a notice about an upcoming Rec. Pln Reunion, will it be deleted???

Can't get in contact with some personnel due to the fact that they don't use Facebook or have just lost contact with serving members. And can I post a link to a Facebook event page if so?

Ta!
    Lil

Can you go for a cadetship if you're married or does it disqualify you?

Can you go for a cadetship if you're married or does it disqualify you?

You most certainly can still apply for a Cadetship.

Everyone ready for Christmas? Anyone stung with duties I feel sorry for ya! But then again you get an army dinner so it's not all bad!

You obviously haven't consumed enough army dinner's if you think it's any consolation for doing a Christmas duty. :pac:
    Hiya!

Just wondering if I post a notice about an upcoming Rec. Pln Reunion, will it be deleted???

Can't get in contact with some personnel due to the fact that they don't use Facebook or have just lost contact with serving members. And can I post a link to a Facebook event page if so?

Ta!
    Lil

No it won't be deleted, work away.

You obviously haven't consumed enough army dinner's if you think it's any consolation for doing a Christmas duty. :pac:

I've only ever gotten two bad ones. One while on the ground they came up with this great idea of not giving us ration packs and instead fed us from hotlocks. And they even forgot about that. Chicken a la king tastes sh1te when it's cold. And then the second when I was there for the cadetship competition where we were given the leftovers from the dinner that day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement