Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppressor Law

Options
  • 20-01-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was looking over the Non-Restricted/Restricted Firearms Legislation and I have a question on whether Suppressors for centrefire rifles ie .223 rifles are restricted or non-restricted.

In the 'Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008' it states that "(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms" are non-restricted.

I want to get a non-restricted .223 rifle with a suppressor but don't know if having a suppressor will require a restricted firearm licence.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You need to read SI 337/2009 which amends SI 21/2008, specifically section 5 of SI 337/2009 which states:
    5. Article 4(2) of the Principal Order is amended—

in subparagraph (d) by the deletion of the word “rim-fire”, and

Which means SI21/2008 now reads:
    silencers capable of being used only with long rifled firearms
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 12 odwyer22

Cass wrote: »
    You need to read SI 337/2009 which amends SI 21/2008, specifically section 5 of SI 337/2009 which states:

Which means SI21/2008 now reads:

Thanks Cass, didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

odwyer22 wrote: »
    I was looking over the Non-Restricted/Restricted Firearms Legislation and I have a question on whether Suppressors for centrefire rifles ie .223 rifles are restricted or non-restricted.

In the 'Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008' it states that "(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms" are non-restricted.

I want to get a non-restricted .223 rifle with a suppressor but don't know if having a suppressor will require a restricted firearm licence.

Easy Answer, its the type of firearm which makes it restricted,
    IE If its .223 Centrefire semi Auto, then its a restricted firearm, and requires a restricted licence. If you would like to have moderator for that firearm then when you apply for your licence you tick the box for that item and if everything works out correctly and you get your licence, it is stamped with an S.

That S entitles you to have a suppressor/MOD what ever you want to call it for that firearm listed on your licence.

If its a bolt action, then its unrestricted, tick the box for a suppressor on your application, maybe have a supporting letter as to why you require it and thats it.

Advertisement