Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm training for it with the hope it goes ahead anyway. Course been flat is a plus, but negatives are the loops and wind also a potential player there. Fingers crossed.

It’s very flat but if it’s windy it’s very tough

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

It’s very flat but if it’s windy it’s very tough

TbL

Yeh i could imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

No updates from the organisers is frustrating. Even with the uncertainty around the covid restrictions surely 9 weeks out a decision is to be made. Hard to train for a marathon few weeks out not knowing if it's going to go ahead! Entry still open on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Lilliput back 2 back marathons going ahead today & 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

limlad2018 wrote: »
    No updates from the organisers is frustrating. Even with the uncertainty around the covid restrictions surely 9 weeks out a decision is to be made. Hard to train for a marathon few weeks out not knowing if it's going to go ahead! Entry still open on the website!

I don't understand what you want them to say?

No news is good news is my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

I think they should update people who have signed up re the status of the race as a marathon isnt something you can rock up on the day without a few weeks prep. Also some people may want to know if its going ahead what measures they are taking around covid as it's a large scale event and some people are very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

limlad2018 wrote: »
    I think they should update people who have signed up re the status of the race as a marathon isnt something you can rock up on the day without a few weeks prep. Also some people may want to know if its going ahead what measures they are taking around covid as it's a large scale event and some people are very nervous.

Don't understand. If you've entered it, you should be training for it whether there are any announcements or not. Hopefully it will happen, but if it doesn't, that's the risk we all take signing up to race in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lilliput back 2 back marathons going ahead today & 2moro.

And Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ger664 wrote: »
    And Monday

Is that an MCI event? Their website says there are no events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Murph_D wrote: »

Jesus you had me worried. I have an entry for Monday part of Celtic Warrior MCI are not back doing events yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Is Galway AIMS certified?

Murph_D wrote: »

No,MCI are still not doing anything.
    Sligo is going ahead in October 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

I did 16 miles this morning in lieu of this event. I do hope we know soon as I don't fancy 18 or 20 again, for nowt as happened earlier this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Email update I got today after asking if it's still going ahead or if they have any additional information:

Hi,

We are waiting for the next phase of the Government's roadmap for
    reopening society and business' to get a definite answer to that. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue any relevant statement to all entrants by email as soon as we receive clarification. I am sorry we cannot be more specific at this time but we are hopeful we'll have a great day out in October.

Thanks,
    Alex

2 more marathons going ahead
    In September which are athlone 2 Roscommon and athy Kildare.
    Both ran by pop up races

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

rizzee wrote: »
    Email update I got today after asking if it's still going ahead or if they have any additional information:

Hi,

We are waiting for the next phase of the Government's roadmap for
    reopening society and business' to get a definite answer to that. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue any relevant statement to all entrants by email as soon as we receive clarification. I am sorry we cannot be more specific at this time but we are hopeful we'll have a great day out in October.

Thanks,
    Alex

Can’t see it going ahead after today’s announcement. Shame. Had got up to 17 miles for nothing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Yes it sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Long way to October so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

The spartan way 5 in 5 has being cancelled in Kildare next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

The spartan way 5 in 5 has being cancelled in Kildare next week

That might be because Kildare is in lockdown. Galway isn't in lockdown (yet).

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    That might be because Kildare is in lockdown. Galway isn't in lockdown (yet).

Eh I know that 🙄
    I'm just letting members know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Eh I know that ��
    I'm just letting members know.

Sure, it's just this thread is for Galway Bay marathon so I thought it was relevant to GB somehow :confused:

ariana` wrote: »
    Sure, it's just this thread is for Galway Bay marathon so I thought it was relevant to GB somehow :confused:

All right.

https://www.rungalwaybay.com/

Is the website working for anyone? Getting a server error. I like to check it every couple of days to see if there's any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

You can still register for it here https://www.njuko.net/run-galway-bay-2020/select_competition so they are still accepting registration but their site is definitely having issues. Its crazy how quiet they have been though. Even an update on steps they might be taking to have the event go ahead etc. I'm continuing to train for it but its hard to see it going ahead. I just wish there was something from the organiser either way. I know they would be feeling the pressure themselves but communication is key in a time like this.

jnk883 wrote: »
    You can still register for it here https://www.njuko.net/run-galway-bay-2020/select_competition so they are still accepting registration but their site is definitely having issues. Its crazy how quiet they have been though. Even an update on steps they might be taking to have the event go ahead etc. I'm continuing to train for it but its hard to see it going ahead. I just wish there was something from the organiser either way. I know they would be feeling the pressure themselves but communication is key in a time like this.

Yeah registered start of January myself, was hoping the website would update so checking every couple of days.

It's frustrating alright, the sooner they let us know, or at least a little update the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

rizzee wrote: »
    Yeah registered start of January myself, was hoping the website would update so checking every couple of days.

It's frustrating alright, the sooner they let us know, or at least a little update the better.

yeh I get this take on it. I would like to know if they are fully relying on numbers been allowed to gather changes to 500 etc or if they plan to do separate start times as a back up. If its only 200 allowed, they may be thinking of still going ahead and axing one of the races.

At the same time though, I would not envy their position. They probably don't want to put anything in writing as situation can change so much. I'm sure any update will just say something similar to the reply you got from them a couple of weeks back. 20 miler this weekend for me nonetheless.:confused:

yeh I get this take on it. I would like to know if they are fully relying on numbers been allowed to gather changes to 500 etc or if they plan to do separate start times as a back up. If its only 200 allowed, they may be thinking of still going ahead and axing one of the races.

At the same time though, I would not envy their position. They probably don't want to put anything in writing as situation can change so much. I'm sure any update will just say something similar to the reply you got from them a couple of weeks back. 20 miler this weekend for me nonetheless.:confused:

Ah yeah, I understand, they're going to follow the guidelines as much as they can.

Big fat 34km for myself! :D Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I think we can put a fork in this one now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Looks like I will just train for virtual dublin so I don't get fat from all the cake

Advertisement