Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2019 - Round 9 Austria

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling they are clearing the track before they announce that Max will get a penalty.
    I am a Ferrari fan but would hate to see a penalty given we need more of this hard racing not less.

You can have hard racing. The previous lap was absolutely brilliant. Max's last second dive to the inside, LeClerc holding his line and getting great drive out of the exit to defend the position, even though Max had DRS. It was brilliant racing.

You can race hard without knocking someone off the track.

ricimaki wrote: »
    Its racing. It was a very minor racing incident. Its not something that should decide who wins the race.

LeClerc will argue that it did decide who won the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The longer this is taking, the more likely it seems that Max will be given a 5 sec penalty and they are just waiting to clear the arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Faugheen wrote: »
    You can have hard racing. The previous lap was absolutely brilliant. Max's last second dive to the inside, LeClerc holding his line and getting great drive out of the exit to defend the position, even though Max had DRS. It was brilliant racing.

You can race hard without knocking someone off the track.

When you say knock someone off the track do you believe Max caused the impact?, or do you mean race hard without forcing someone off the track?

I've watched all the angles again on f1 and it looks like LeClerc turned into Max aswell, when he maybe could have used the run off and become totally innocent in it.

Either ways it looks like the length of time and the clearing of the track theory that others have said makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Why do I get the feeling they are clearing the track before they announce that Max will get a penalty.
    I am a Ferrari fan but would hate to see a penalty given we need more of this hard racing not less.

I hope they don't seriously have to consider vandalism into the euqation; But yes, especially considering it'd be Leclerc's first win, one'd want it to come straight up on track rather than from the steward's meeting room.

Don't get me wrong - as it's been abundantly clear for years, I'd prefer seeing Hamilton walking away with 21 wins out of 21 races rather than see Verstappen taking a single win and yes, this was yet again the "old" Max surfacing after it did look like he matured thus far (as said by many, he didn't need to go "all out" like he did), but what's done is done.

On a purely "consistency of rules application", it's a slam dunk penalty like Ricciardo's were in France - an if Vettel got penalized for much less in Montreal.

But it would cloud Leclerc's theoretical first win, and that's not fair. Better for him to go and take it on track in Spa or maybe even better, Monza.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/status/1145377974788808704?s=19

If there was gravel or a barrier on the outside Leclerc would have had no choice but to yield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Unconfirmed reports in Twitter saying no further action - haven't seen a reputable source yet

Edit: Confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Confirmed from the team now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Unconfirmed reports in Twitter saying no further action - haven't seen a reputable source yet

Hopefully. And maybe the delay was due to the ensuing discussion about the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Cool_CM wrote:

It's on BBC sport saying no penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No further action, Verstappen wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Great race and probably the right result for those of us who want to see close racing. Hopefully we see many more battles between Max and Leclerc.

Unfortunately we will probably back to Merc domination from start to finish in Silverstone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

We got a good race to watch today. And wasn't ruined by stewards at the end. Would like to see Charles win today but it was the right outcome for some proper racing. We really needed a decent race to watch!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Thankfully common sense prevails. Racing incident, right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hulk beat Ricciardo today and has beaten him on more than one occasion.

Ricciardo has the upper hand but 'dominated' is nonsense.

Agreed.

Also don't think it's correct to say Max dominated Ricciardo.

Finished ahead of him in the standings once, last year, where they won the same amount of races but Dani had 8 retirements and a lot of bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Just watched the race. How fantastic was that by Verstappen. Imagine if he hadnt stalled at the start mind you we probaby wouldn't have had all of the excitement at the end!

Leclerc is a sour oul git. Didnt even get involved in the celebrations. He's got a lot to learn. At least Bottas had a bit of class about him.

No offense, but it was great no to see LH on the podium. Nice to see it mixed up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

CFlat wrote: »
    Just watched the race. How fantastic was that by Verstappen. Imagine if he hadnt stalled at the start mind you we probaby wouldn't have had all of the excitement at the end!

Leclerc is a sour oul git. Didnt even get involved in the celebrations. He's got a lot to learn. At least Bottas had a bit of class about him.

No offense, but it was great no to see LH on the podium. Nice to see it mixed up a bit.

I've no problem with the way Leclerc acted and don't think he's got a lot to learn in that regard. Why would he be getting involved in the celebrations, he was clearly disappointed. If a driver was all smiles and jumping around spraying champagne after losing a lead in the dying stages I'd worry about their mentality rather than credit their class.

The kid is as competitive as they come. A young race driver desperate to win. Today he lost out and after Bahrain and other unlucky moments he's got to be frustrated that he's yet to win.

Nothing wrong with being annoyed and expressing it. It's the sort of fight we need in F1 rather than fake smiles and waves. Max himself is like that, sure remember when he tried to fight Ocon post race before. There's a long history of fiery driver personalities.

Imagine if we had the internet back in the day, how many of the greats would people have been complaining about them being sour gits after races and having a lot to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Poor showing from Renault again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Got to see the highlights on Channel 4 .

Really some turn around form last weekend.

A lot of good drives . Max what a great recovery from that start. Some nice over takes and impressive pace from the Honda . Was really surprised by that.

Good drive from Vettel as well , pity about the really poor pit stop he would have had Bottas.

Not sure what to say about Charles he does seem to get lost in races ,in France last week he was no where for ages and then turned up behind Bottas right at the end . The reverse seemed to be today. Really he should have be miles down the road.

Nice nice drive form lando Norris . Massive credit to Sainz as well great for him to get into the points. Really good from McLaren's. Renault should be a little embarrassed if not a lot.

Not sure what Mercedes were like. Not alot in the highlights over their team radio . Really wanted hear when Vettel got Lewis cause Bottas was next on his list. I suppose the real action for first limited what we heard.

One good race doesn't make a season unfortunately. Not sure I have faith in Silverstone up next .

Should add good show form alpha , really good.

And a complete race disaster for Haas . After KMags qualification they should have been on pace . Not sure where they can go next .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. There was always action at turn 3 going back through the years. Hope it stays on the calendar. I suppose that will all depend on Red Bull financing it long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The honda partnership is now proving to be a masterstroke for Red bull.
    McLaren really didn't treat honda right. Bouillier rubbishing honda publically when his own organisation was in bits.
    That man Bouillier was an A grade spuffer.
    Not a fan of Zak either but if he can do the commercial stuff well and keep out of everything else, it might be ok. McLaren certainly have made a leap forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

recyclebin wrote: »
    The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. .
    Having been to the circuit I would disagree - without DR'S there would be no overtaking imho

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

You really have to hand it to Honda here. I mean two years ago they were nowhere and in danger of scrapping the whole F1’s plan.
    To go from that to yesterday, amazing. Great for the sport.

Also how can we have more races like yesterday as oppose to France last week? This question needs real study from the FIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Infoanon wrote: »
    Having been to the circuit I would disagree - without DR'S there would be no overtaking imho

Yeah but that is fine, it’s the point if DRS. The DRS zones work really well at the Ring. The overtakes still require s bit of skill in Austria even with DRS. That’s what we need, not just breezing by with the back wing open like other circuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Yeah but that is fine, it’s the point if DRS. The DRS zones work really well at the Ring. The overtakes still require s bit of skill in Austria even with DRS. That’s what we need, not just breezing by with the back wing open like other circuits.

Verstappen breezed by on some of those overtakes yesterday. Not just that but managed to make over a second of a gap before DRS was closed which meant the overtaken driver didn't get a chance to come back at him. It looked too easy yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

recyclebin wrote: »
    The A1 ring is a great track for racing and overtaking. There was always action at turn 3 going back through the years. Hope it stays on the calendar. I suppose that will all depend on Red Bull financing it long term.

A1 was another company that had sponsored naming rights for the circuit before Red Bull. It's original non sponsored name is the Österreichring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

tigerboon wrote: »
    Verstappen breezed by on some of those overtakes yesterday. Not just that but managed to make over a second of a gap before DRS was closed which meant the overtaken driver didn't get a chance to come back at him. It looked too easy yesterday.

Completely, it looked far too easy yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure how you could repicate a race like that. too many little things added up to make it what it was

vettle down the field after minor mechanical issue during qualifying, that left charles near the front and no vettle in th epicture and charles ddint have to let vattel past

hamilton getting a grid penalty and damaging his wing

verstaphen stalling off the line put him out of position

it all happend because cars were out of their normal positions, not sure how to replicate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

not sure how you could repicate a race like that. too many little things added up to make it what it was

vettle down the field after minor mechanical issue during qualifying, that left charles near the front and no vettle in th epicture and charles ddint have to let vattel past

hamilton getting a grid penalty and damaging his wing

verstaphen stalling off the line put him out of position

it all happend because cars were out of their normal positions, not sure how to replicate that

Make it more difficult for teams to predict the outcome. Increase the number of strategy permutations (e.g. hidden tyre compounds, no mandatory pitstops/compound changes). Introduce unreliability (e.g. easily done by more delicate front wings or something like that) and penalties for driver error- the kerbs emulated some of the drama from this in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

I wonder would the FIA/stewards have made a different decision had they not (rightly) received so much heat for decisions made recently?

Right decision, but it's starting to look like they're just making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's a great achievement by Honda, and they've come a long, long way. However, the result was not something I'd expect to see repeated again soon. Mercedes engines were baking and had to be turned down, Ferrari as a result seemed stronger, and Max had significantly fresher tires AND was on an opposite strategy to the leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Naykid

Hulk beat Ricciardo today and has beaten him on more than one occasion.

Nope, Riccardo passed Hulk on the last lap. Cameras or commentators didn't pick it up (on the highlights show anyway)

was there a drive through for someone. i mised that on c4 . what hapened

was there a drive through for someone. i mised that on c4 . what hapened

Kevin Magnussen over shot his grid slot and got a penalty for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    Kevin Magnussen over shot his grid slot and got a penalty for it.

George Russell finished ahead of Magnussen in the race as well

George Russell finished ahead of Magnussen in the race as well

how did that happen.
    i saw that. a williams not last and second last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

hopefully the link works but Sainz had a great race , all pretty much ontrack over takes

https://streamable.com/ptpmv

I love this thing as well
    https://gfycat.com/neglecteddecentcaracal

how did that happen.
    i saw that. a williams not last and second last.

The drive thru penalty for Magnussen was a partial reason for it no doubt, at the flag i think there was in or around 2.0 seconds between them, it doesn't matter if it was 2.0 or 0.2, a Williams beat a Haas to the flag, which is embarrassing for Haas. Kubica was lapped by Russell despite young George starting in the pit lane. Impossible to call Kubica slow, we don't know what is going on there, it can't be down to his arm injuries, he proved in Monaco it doesn't impact him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Verstappen was lucky he was at a 'home' race.... If the Stewarts follow their onw rules they should have penalised Max for 1.Squeezing off the road (Did NOT leave even half a cars width) and 2. Hit Lelerc on exit to send him wide = PENALTY.

2. Look at the head on replay the Ferrari bounces off the ground when they bang wheels.

They FIA totally chickened out in making the correct call ( by their own rules, he gets a penalty) But because Max drives for Red Bull ( >owns the Team & Track) huge amount of Dutch fans at track = 'Home' race, Hondas first win since 06? they took the soft option.

Result was much needed and right for F1, but wrong call made by their own rules.

Usual FIA Stewarts applying the rules inconsistently. Follow their rules> Max gets penalty, loses Win. If they are going allow squeezing/running off the road then publicily state it and let them race this way.

Also Bottas is becoming a total lightweight and a soft touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/steview282/status/1145389513558114305/photo/1

Kubica won driver of the day, what is still under technical review

Harika wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/steview282/status/1145389513558114305/photo/1

Kubica won driver of the day, what is still under technical review

i feel really really sorry for him. he cannot be judged in that car no matter what Russell does with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Also Bottas is becoming a total lightweight and a soft touch.

Well, not really - he did the smart thing. Had he fought Verstappen for longer, he'd only have kept him behind 1-2 laps at best, the pace/grip differential was too great, and would've lost a lot of time making him vulnerable to Vettel towards the end.

Also, the possibility of Verstappen and Leclerc coming together and handing Bottas the race win was, as we saw, not completely out of the picture - and you can bet Merc/Bottas had a thought about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God, I needed a race like that.

i feel really really sorry for him. he cannot be judged in that car no matter what Russell does with it.

This is nonsense. Why can’t he be judged when his rookie team-mate is making mince meat of him?

I have no doubt this would be the same if the pair of them were driving Williams’ or Mercs.

This is nonsense. Why can’t he be judged when his rookie team-mate is making mince meat of him?

I have no doubt this would be the same if the pair of them were driving Williams’ or Mercs.

No, what's nonsense is the state of the Williams team and their cars not being upto the job

Russell tested a Merc in Bahrain, would be interesting to see Kubica test one at the same track.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

No, what's nonsense is the state of the Williams team and their cars not being upto the job

Russell tested a Merc in Bahrain, would be interesting to see Kubica test one at the same track.

Kubica is another driver taking up a seat in F1 and should not be there. How in gods name is Ocon not in that seat. Kubica is just another paid driver ruining the sport. Russell is nothing special but destroys Kubica.

Kubica is another driver taking up a seat in F1 and should not be there. How in gods name is Ocon not in that seat. Kubica is just another paid driver ruining the sport. Russell is nothing special but destroys Kubica.

Mercedes wouldn’t pay what Williams wanted to put Ocon in the seat.

I know you might think any F1 seat is better than no seat at all but I reckon Ocon dodged a bullet by staying away from Williams.

• Advertisement

Kubica was a great driver but I think it's safe to say he's clearly not the same as he was. And the facts are that he brings significant budget to the team so we can surmise that he's a pay driver. However, it's unfair to say that he's ruining the sport. If Williams didn't have that money would they survive ?

As for your opinion that Russell is nothing special, personally I disagree, he's got massive potential. He's hammering his teammate and his career is on an upward trajectory. British F4 champ, GP3 champ, F2 champ
    Mercedes wouldn’t pay what Williams wanted to put Ocon in the seat.

Williams wanted a long term commitment which they got from Russell who signed a multi year agreement, Ocon was an option for the team but he only wanted a seat for a year. He believes his future is in a silver arrow

Advertisement