Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

markpb wrote: »
    Why does rain have an impact?

This thread explains it well:
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/why-does-rain-have-such-an-effect-on-range.15027/

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

DrPhilG wrote: »

Love this:
    This means the rain impacts both an EV and an ICE, but disproportionately more the EV, whilst the ICE "hides" that additional requirement in its overall inefficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The efficiency bit is interesting.

The TFL YouTube channel got bad efficiency when towing with a Model X.

But they still got the equivalent of 42 mpg (Vs 115 MPGe when not towing).

That's US gallons which are smaller then ours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What car is it? Battery % would be a better gauge than what the GOM is saying.

Rain (and wind) makes a difference but not a crazy amount, in crap weather at this time of year it would mean maybe using 10% of the battery instead of 8% for me to get home in the ioniq (26kms or so).
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wipers make damn all difference, but heat does, and rain most of all.

What car was it?

sorrty forgot to say, brand new Renault Zoe.

Different story this morning, done 82kms to a site a back to work with a/c on, lights and fog light on at first and radio blaring and used 83kms of battery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The distance left estimating thing is nuts. When I leave home and drive 12km to a local town, I have more than when I started the journey. Use the % of battery to measure what is used and left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This morning on the m3 I saw 3 white 192 kona electrics, a leaf 40, 2 ioniqs and a first gen leaf - all between clonee and blanch shopping center.

The amount of EVs on the road now is representing (anecdotally) growth of exponential proportion since I got my first EV in 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Not for EV's yet, but Samsung supposedly has graphene powder ready for it's lithium ion cells

Galaxy S12 could get the battery, with way faster charging and higher energy density

Was supposed to go into the S10, but they couldn't get it ready for mass production.

The next gen of battery tech will be introduced in flaghsip mobile devices first imo, €1000/kWh is no prob to Apple/Samsung etc when flagship phones are barely require 0.010kWh

https://www.techradar.com/news/new-samsung-phone-battery-tech-could-be-a-huge-boost-to-galaxy-s12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    sorrty forgot to say, brand new Renault Zoe.

Different story this morning, done 82kms to a site a back to work with a/c on, lights and fog light on at first and radio blaring and used 83kms of battery!!

Lights, wipers and radio have no impact on battery, they are powered from the 12V.

The AC will draw power from the main battery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kceire wrote: »
    Lights, wipers and radio have no impact on battery, they are powered from the 12V.

And how do you think the 12V is powered? :pac:

Agreed though these don't use much energy, provided your EV has all round LED lighting (which a lot of them don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

0.2 kW total used by lightning compared to 10-20 kW used by the motor is a drop of 1-2 km of range per each 100 of kilometers driven. More energy can be saved by slowing down by 5 km/h. The heatpump heating also typically consumes something similar on average.

A high average speed, headwind and standing water on the road are the biggest range killers. Not to mention roof racks and under inflated tyres.

• Advertisement

Bad news for anyone heading to Cork. Kinsale road roundabout charger is still out of service, and ESB app suggests the rochestown fast charger CCS is out of service.

God speed

The chargers at home store and more at turners cross cork seem to be operational now. I was driving past and noticed a Prius charging at one of them (kinda pathetic how long bed be there to charge when he has petrol... And self charging).

Pulled up beside and asked was the charger working, and did he need a card or something to initiate it. Those Prius drivers aren't as chatty as us BEV drivers. Got a very gruff yes, and no out of him.

Handy for my oh too frequent trips to woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I find the FastNed charge graphs interesting.

Audi seem to have really nailed fast charging in the upper half of the SOC

Fastned_ChargeCurve_Audi.png

Teslamodel3June.png

Fastned_ChargeCurve_I-Pace.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lumen wrote: »
    I find the FastNed charge graphs interesting.

Audi seem to have really nailed fast charging in the upper half of the SOC

I think the key thing Audi have done is significantly over provision the battery which allows the better charge curve. I believe it’s a 95kWh battery with a whopping 11kWh’s of that reserved, so 84kWh usable. That allows them maintain high charge rate for much higher SoC (on the dash, not actual SoC)

In comparison nearly all Tesla’s have <5kWh’s reserved and at the lower end (Ioniqs, Leafs etc) they only have 2-3kWh reserved... makes a big difference to when throttling occurs.

It’s a good move by Audi but obviously increases cost and reduces range. They obviously think they have the balance right for their target market and maybe they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, but that only partially explains it unless my maths is off.

Full speed charge to 80% of 84kWh is 67kWh, which is 70% of 95 kWh. The M3 starts slowing at 50% of usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, but that only partially explains it unless my maths is off.

Full speed charge to 80% of 84kWh is 67kWh, which is 70% of 95 kWh. The M3 starts slowing at 50% of usable.
    Actually it starts around 40%
    But it's slowing from 250kW not 143kW that the etron peaks at

And the Tesla would show a much better graph on the 350kW Ionity chargers, compared to both others. Even though those chargers (max 500A) can not give the Tesla the amps that it wants (666A)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are there many Teslas in the country? One charging in my local town the last number of weeks.

Water John wrote: »
    Are there many Teslas in the country? One charging in my local town the last number of weeks.

161 new ones in the last 2 calendar years according to https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

Not sure where imported car stats can be got from. EDIT. Perhaps that number includes imports...

• Advertisement

The chargers at home store and more at turners cross cork seem to be operational now. I was driving past and noticed a Prius charging at one of them (kinda pathetic how long bed be there to charge when he has petrol... And self charging).

Pulled up beside and asked was the charger working, and did he need a card or something to initiate it. Those Prius drivers aren't as chatty as us BEV drivers. Got a very gruff yes, and no out of him.

Handy for my oh too frequent trips to woodies.

Update. I tried it out. Prius driver was an idiot. The charger does nothing without being initiated. My guess is he sat in his car assuming it was charging itself. #selfcharging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Update. I tried it out. Prius driver was an idiot. The charger does nothing without being initiated. My guess is he sat in his car assuming it was charging itself. #selfcharging

When you say "does nothing without being initiated" - did you manage to get it to work.

Or is it a case that it needs some kind of card you don't have

Old diesel wrote: »
    When you say "does nothing without being initiated" - did you manage to get it to work.

Or is it a case that it needs some kind of card you don't have

The unit itself implies you need to "swipe & charge". I swiped everything I could at it, but it did nothing.

I didn't manage to get it working, nor did I spend much time trying. Tried both ports, flashed my ESB card at it, waited a minute or 2, nothing worked. Unplugged and went about spending money in woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Or the grumpy idiot phev driver got it to work?

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Or the grumpy idiot phev driver got it to work?

Or he lied to me when I asked did he have to swipe a fob or a card or anything. He was fierce grumpy. Probably just found out his car doesn't self charge.

Not sure if I asked this before but is it possible to use a public charger before you get your swipe card to start / stop the chargers? (I.e e-card or EasyGo card)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not sure if I asked this before but is it possible to use a public charger before you get your swipe card to start / stop the chargers? (I.e e-card or EasyGo card)

Yes, phone up the number on the charger and they will "normally" switch it on, certainly on the ESB chargers.

krissovo wrote: »
    Yes, phone up the number on the charger and they will "normally" switch it on, certainly on the ESB chargers.

Brilliant, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

krissovo wrote: »

That's a 1890 number. Save 01 2583799 as the eCars number on your phone and use that instead.

• Advertisement

And ESB will tell you not to, but any RFID card or your phone will work too on most chargers. Leap card, bank card, etc.

Advertisement