Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Don't get ya ?

The service intervals with all Kia’s are pretty similar to ICE maintenance schedule... with a Leaf every 30000km or a year and with the Beemer every 50000km or 2 years.
    We all know how little maintenance an EV needs over the years but Kia realised they can’t let this slip through their hands and made sure the stealers are well stocked up with cars to maintain...

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Jaysus I can't get the scheduled charge to work at all with Zappi :( I have the car set to scheduling charging from midnight to 07:00 (Energia's night rates) with the departure time at 07:00. When I plug in the Zappi it starts charging immediately *or* soon after. For example - I refresh the UVO app, it confirms the charger is connected but not charging, is scheduled. A few minutes later I've refreshed and it's started charging again :(

On scheduled charge I've tried both off-peak only and off-peak priority as selected and neither seems to make a difference

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Jaysus I can't get the scheduled charge to work at all with Zappi :( I have the car set to scheduling charging from midnight to 07:00 (Energia's night rates) with the departure time at 07:00. When I plug in the Zappi it starts charging immediately *or* soon after. For example - I refresh the UVO app, it confirms the charger is connected but not charging, is scheduled. A few minutes later I've refreshed and it's started charging again :(

On scheduled charge I've tried both off-peak only and off-peak priority as selected and neither seems to make a difference

Any ideas?

So what setting is the zappi on? And no timers on the zappi?

When you plug in your car does the middle light flash?

And on the dash it should say waiting for scheduled time?

In the app does it say scheduled charging enabled?

Oh and off peak is 11pm to 8 am, and also when daylight savings kicks in, it's 12-9

Thanks! I've set Zappi to Fast (no timers on it), have it all set up as per your screen shot. The only thing that occurred to me was departure time was 7am, bumped that up to 9am, only have it set because Scheduled Charging mandates it. Perhaps that takes priority, in that if a full charge is required for 7am it will start charging immediately regardless of Scheduled Charging ... or something, I don't know.

So I've set it all up again, departure now 9am, and so far it hasn't started charging so that's good (middle green light flashes, the Zappi says delayed, the Niro dash confirms it's scheduled for charging)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you set this up via the App or the Zappi2 itself.
    I’ve found in the past that changes made via the App did not make its way to the Zappi2.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Thanks! I've set Zappi to Fast (no timers on it), have it all set up as per your screen shot. The only thing that occurred to me was departure time was 7am, bumped that up to 9am, only have it set because Scheduled Charging mandates it. Perhaps that takes priority, in that if a full charge is required for 7am it will start charging immediately regardless of Scheduled Charging ... or something, I don't know.

So I've set it all up again, departure now 9am, and so far it hasn't started charging so that's good (middle green light flashes, the Zappi says delayed, the Niro dash confirms it's scheduled for charging)

Yep it will start charging sooner if you departure time doesn't give it enough time to charge.

Although I have ran into an issue, where my schedule is setup. But it doesn't start the charge.

This only happens on a Sunday, ie car was parked on Friday. And plugged in on Sunday (to charge over night)

Roll round 12 am and the charge hadn't started opened uvo and hit refresh, and the charge suddenly starts, it's like it was in a deep sleep. - I didn't have to press the charge button or anything, just hit refresh.

graememk wrote: »
    Yep it will start charging sooner if you departure time doesn't give it enough time to charge.

Although I have ran into an issue, where my schedule is setup. But it doesn't start the charge.

This only happens on a Sunday, ie car was parked on Friday. And plugged in on Sunday (to charge over night)

Roll round 12 am and the charge hadn't started opened uvo and hit refresh, and the charge suddenly starts, it's like it was in a deep sleep. - I didn't have to press the charge button or anything, just hit refresh.

Yeah, that seems to be it alright as it worked last night and it definitely wouldn't have had time to charge for 7am, thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

graememk wrote: »

Sounds exactly like the issue the VW ID.3 has too. They have not coded/allowed for a charge point initiating a charge session and once they go into that sleep state they won’t charge unless it’s from an in-car timer.

KCross wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like the issue the VW ID.3 has too. They have not coded/allowed for a charge point initiating a charge session and once they go into that sleep state they won’t charge unless it’s from an in-car timer.

But its the cars timer i was using, but could be a similar issue, Because all I done on sunday was unlock, plug in and lock. -

It hasn't missed a beat when you pull up and plug in straight away. Something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭craigmcc

Got my eNiro in January. Love it. No range anxiety with 5km restrictions! :-)

When I got it, it was charged to 465km range at 100%.
    Over time it charged to 430km range then 405km range at 100%.
    Last charge only went to 380km range at 100% charge.

Rang garage who said software averaged last 20 journeys and upper charge limit changes accordingly but if I dropped it back to them they'd reset it. Would take less than an hour. Garage is an hour away from me but no big deal.

Technician said not to worry because what showed on the dash wasn't reflective of true range that real distance would be closer to proper range (relative to how car is driven of course). I'd also have to get car reset every so often so charge range was showing what it should i.e. nearer to the 450km mark.

Seems bizarre and makes planning journeys harder when 400+ kms might be required but under 400km shows on dash after full charge.

Any insights?

Thanks

• Advertisement

craigmcc wrote: »

Rang garage who said software averaged last 20 journeys and upper charge limit changes accordingly but if I dropped it back to them they'd reset it. Would take less than an hour. Garage is an hour away from me but no big deal.

Technician said not to worry because what showed on the dash wasn't reflective of true range that real distance would be closer to proper range (relative to how car is driven of course). I'd also have to get car reset every so often so charge range was showing what it should i.e. nearer to the 450km mark.

Seems bizarre and makes planning journeys harder when 400+ kms might be required but under 400km shows on dash after full charge.

Any insights?

Thanks

Its all down to how you drive the car, how the car is loaded, Just yourself or a full car. The weather,

if you drive at 120 on a motorway, your going to get less range compared to city driving.

Resetting it doesn't make a bit of difference, It will trend back to your range.

the range is known as the GOM - Guess O Meter. Kinda explains it all

Ours sits at 380 in the winter, in the summer it was at 420, with our driving, (N Roads, little city driving, No motorways)

We have found it quite accurate. You'll get to get a feel of what you can do.

If a journey was 400km + i'd be keeping some fast chargers in mind as backups, esp if hitting motorways and doing 120!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Any insights?

Thanks

Batteries don't like the cold weather. Because of this, they must be heated, which is a large energy draw when the car is turned on.

While our cars don't have heat pumps, they certainly DO have battery heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Any insights?

Thanks

Yeah basically the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) uses the consumption information from the last few journeys to estimate the range

Short journeys in EVs in winter tend to be quite thirsty because you need to warm up the cabin and the battery which costs energy

The only true way to know the cars range is to drive a long distance until your consumption averages out. You can use this to estimate the real range

Truth be told, your charging stops will probably be more dictated by availability of chargers en route and your own limitations. Personally I wouldn't be confident about driving 400+km without a bathroom break

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah, I found that too, the range can vary based on the factors above but is extremely accurate. I've driven to within 20km of 0 range to a charge point :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any insights?

Thanks

The battery capacity has not changed. You can typically reset the "guess o meter" in the menu. You can also see the per trip energy usage.

The car is "guessing" the range to 0% based on previous trips and outside temperature. If you keep driving slow the range "guess" will increase, if you do all fast motorway driving range will reduce. For trip planning take worst case, and you may be able to skip a charge stop if trip speed is low and outside temperature is high. Typically I charge well before empty in case the public charger is busy, broken or blocked, to ensure if I need to drive to another charger I have the range to still make it there.

Once you have more worst case range than your trip needs you can drive it like you stole it, and not worry. You also learn to slow down on long trips to make it home without needing an extra stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

KIA fans: I'm going to sell my ioniq 28 premium SE and buy a eSoul or ENiro.....
    Opinions?

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KIA fans: I'm going to sell my ioniq 28 premium SE and buy a eSoul or ENiro.....
    Opinions?

Can't see anything wrong with that. Drove the eNiro last year and but for it not being as big as I wanted it to be I would of bought one. Very similar spec wise to the ioniq, but more range, and slightly bigger boot.

Soul is a different story. Smaller boot afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Soul is a different story. Smaller boot afaik.

She's a looker though :pac:.

Little more than 2 years ago, the Kona was the only choice.
    Little more than a year ago, the eNiro/eSoul.

Even more choice now & more to come, albeit pricier, but apart from slightly slower DC charging (think it peaks at 77kW), nothing wrong with the eNiro IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Opinions?

That was the journey I took: Ioniq > e-Niro. The only regret I have at the moment is that I sold the e-Niro. It's a great car. Faultless, efficient, plenty of space for my needs.

If it had been the second edition with the bigger screen and app I'd have kept it. The only thing I actively hated about the car was all of the incandescent bulbs: headlights, fog lights, indicators, interior lights, number plate lights... even the sun visor lights. But most of them are easily replaced with LED bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+1 for eNiro. Brilliant car, panic a little when GoM goes below 100km. I've missed out on the whole early model EV experience because it's so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

+1 for eNiro. Brilliant car, panic a little when GoM goes below 100km. I've missed out on the whole early model EV experience because it's so good.

You E-Niro drivers are spoilt with your high capacity batteries :)

The GOM in the Leaf can struggle to get over 100 km some days, when it's reading 5km left then I might decide not to detour for a coffee :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Haha I nearly wet myself reading that, yes, quite obviously you missed the "early" EV experience where you would panic when the GOM reads --- remaining! :D

I like the E-Niro, looks nice inside, way better, in my opinion than the id.3 and the Screen isn't the main way to control pretty much everything which I'm not a fan of.

The not so good is the poxy halogen lights, FWD and the slower DC charging.

The 5 looks like it will be really cool but shame AWD might be close to 55 K or maybe even more, can't see many of those selling in Ireland ? but the fast charging will pretty much mean the 5 will be the first future proof car which should make it hold it's value really well.

The RWD will only be as fast as 8 seconds or a little more and I want my next car to have better acceleration.

But the 5 and 72 Kwh of battery and 18 mins 20-80 % I think it was would mean that to me that would be absolutely plenty and acceptable for a modern EV in my opinion except that the public DC network is just a pure and utter disgrace. There's only a handful of 150 Kw chargers and at that they have to split the load if a Leaf is charging. That's bollix. The West and North have a shockingly bad DC network.

I know, you wouldn't need the network frequently with that kind of range but it's a bloody pain in the arse when you do need it and chargers are in use, broken or just slow like 50 Kw, though having said that 50 Kw would be plenty if having a meal you'd get a decent charge in 1 hr but in general on the Motorways they'd need to be as powerful as possible and plenty of them.

Anyone know what the Lane assist think in the e-niro compares to the e-soul ? the e-soul was pretty impressive.

Was the e-soul lka updated at any point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Anyone know what the Lane assist think in the e-niro compares to the e-soul ? the e-soul was pretty impressive.

Was the e-soul lka updated at any point ?

It's the same setup Mad Lad, have driven both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Is the e- Niro comfortable over longer distances? Good seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fits wrote: »
    I have a PHEV, but it's the same seats and I find it very comfortable. I was a bit concerned when I got mine that there was no adjustable lumbar support but haven't had any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

fits wrote: »

I drove to Achill from Dublin last year and found it to be very comfy. Normally I get a stiff neck and lower back, but didn't in the eNiro. It's such an easy car to drive, which helps any stress on long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

A friend is selling his womans eniro if anyone out there on the hunt for one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2020-201-kia-niro-electric/27631733

• Advertisement

A friend is selling his womans eniro if anyone out there on the hunt for one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2020-201-kia-niro-electric/27631733

To be honest, can buy a brand new one for not much more ?

Advertisement