Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Doctors charge for routine Blood Tests ??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Which hospital is this?

Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jeffk wrote: »
    Blanchardstown

Can't you use the walk-in clinic?
    Connolly Hospital Phlebotomy (phone between 10-12) 01 6465365 Walk in Clinic for Outpatient patients 8.30-11.15 Monday to Friday

I'm not sure

I got the brother to go in with envelope and said I was outside to be told no, drop it into post box

I'll try ringing thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

You may want to check how many diabetics there are and make you rethink that

But those regular blood tests for diabetics aren't urgent. Book early, get done before next clinic.

But those regular blood tests for diabetics aren't urgent. Book early, get done before next clinic.

Mine was/is due in December then again in June

Should have paid the E20 and moved doctor or hope to move doctor before June

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Outpatient means the bloods are ordered by a consultant - it's not for patients sent by a GP.

Outpatient means the bloods are ordered by a consultant - it's not for patients sent by a GP.

So what happens if the patent says they need a blood test as are a Diabetic and do it every 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 40,203 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what happens if the patent says they need a blood test as are a Diabetic and do it every 6 months

they should have a blood test request form from their consultant. Every time i finish an appointment with mine i am handed the blood test form for the next appointment.

they should have a blood test request form from their consultant. Every time i finish an appointment with mine i am handed the blood test form for the next appointment.

I never got that in old doctor, just use to ring up nearer the time and book an appointment and went in and was handed envelope or was in with nurse/doctor

Ill try ringing tomorrow and explain I need it within in the month, cant but try

I don't know about Blanchardstown specifically, but in other Dublin hospitals your consultant orders your bloods on the computer system. You show up at the walk-in Outpatient bloods clinic, and the phlebotomist checks your hospital number and sees what was ordered. Just randomly turning up would mean no bloods ordered and so no test could be done. You would be directed to make an appointment for the gp bloods service through the booking system.

If your GP is looking for the bloods they hand you the paper order form, you make an appointment using the online booking system and when you arrive the phlebotomist carries out the tests according to the gp form.

If you are seeing a consultant even once a year, they can have the bloods ordered on the outpatient system months in advance, but many diabetics seem to be managed by their gp.

I'm surprised at the lengthy wait. I and several family members are often sent for bloods by gp, and have never had to wait longer than 10 days for St James'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I don't know about Blanchardstown specifically, but in other Dublin hospitals your consultant orders your bloods on the computer system. You show up at the walk-in Outpatient bloods clinic, and the phlebotomist checks your hospital number and sees what was ordered. Just randomly turning up would mean no bloods ordered and so no test could be done. You would be directed to make an appointment for the gp bloods service through the booking system.
    The system your describing isn't available outside of Dublin.

In some parts of the country the GP fills out the request form, the patient has the bloods taken in the surgery or goes to the hospital phlebotomist in the outpatient dept and had them taken there prior to their next consultant appointment.

The system your describing isn't available outside of Dublin.

In some parts of the country the GP fills out the request form, the patient has the bloods taken in the surgery or goes to the hospital phlebotomist in the outpatient dept and had them taken there prior to their next consultant appointment.

Yes but the poster is in Dublin. And he will not be able to just go to the walk in outpatient clinic in Blanch if they are gp bloods.

Funny herself couldn't believe this, saying there's certain days and time frame for bloods, and you just walk in with envelope

She's down in navan

Rang Blanchardstown

6 weeks waiting
    No walk in

Took details of cancellation

Then I've to call tomorrow as texts go out and people might cancel

Just got call for cancellation for Friday

Advertisement