Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Doctors charge for routine Blood Tests ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

catmack wrote:
    Thanks so much, which brings me to ask, if the hospital provides test for free, who reads and interprets it,??

The analysis of blood samples is performed by Medical Scientists in the hospital labs. The results are sent back to the GP electronically and via post. The doctor then interprets them and makes decisions based on those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

catmack wrote: »
    Thanks so much, which brings me to ask, if the hospital provides test for free, who reads and interprets it,??

Over the past few years I have seen printouts of blood test from St. Vincents and St. James. What you get is a list of your results with a number for each indicator they were asked to test and beside each one it shows the recommended range. There will be an asterisk (or two or three) beside any number that's outside the range for your gender and age.

It's then up to your GP to interpret the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I file blood results in my job, other than results being highlighted etc. there is often analysis included on more complex/rarer tests especially if they are of a serious nature. i.e ranges differing in certain circumstances, borderline results, difficult to confirm results, correlation recommended. They flag extreme results immediately too. But yes in general they provide the numbers and ranges and it's up to the referring doctor to go from there.

My GP charges I think €15/20 as a standalone fee. I have found I often don't get charged for bloods extra if they're taken as part of a long consultation. I don't have an issue with the charge as it makes sense in terms of courier usage and time taken to interpret results and ring me. There's always the option to get the forms and go directly to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Last time I got my bloods taken at the hospital, my GP asked if I was OK to get the results by text. I can't quite remember what happened, but I presume he sent a text to confirm that everything was OK, so no need for further consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One small (obvious) point I'd make about blood tests is that some people think because their blood tests are OK there is nothing wrong with them. That is mostly true however if you are clear on all the blood tests all you can say for sure is that you don't have anything that you have been tested for.

A flaw in the system is that because the actual laboratory testing is free, doctors tend to cover themselves by firing off blood tests for the slightest reason however my feeling is that as a result some doctors do slightly less investigative work themselves so can miss symptoms of illnesses that aren't diagnosed by the std blood tests.

If you think something is wrong and all the blood tests are OK then get back to the doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

my3cents wrote:
    One small (obvious) point I'd make about blood tests is that some people think because their blood tests are OK there is nothing wrong with them. That is mostly true however if you are clear on all the blood tests all you can say for sure is that you don't have anything that you have been tested for.

Agreed. It depends what tests are requested by the GP.

Disease can't be detected if the correct tests aren't requested.

But I would guess that many people don't know what tests are being requested and why.

my3cents wrote: »
    my feeling is that as a result some doctors do slightly less investigative work themselves so can miss symptoms of illnesses that aren't diagnosed by the std blood tests.

Just to clarify in this context, by 'std' you meant 'standard' - and not any other variation of std?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just to clarify in this context, by 'std' you meant 'standard' - and not any other variation of std?

Apologies I've gotten into the bad habit of writing a couple of words I use a lot as abbreviations std, txt and msg being the main offenders.

If I meant STD's I would have used capitol letters as I would with any TLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

Im a type two diabetic and for two and a half years got them for free

Moved surgery and told they wanted 20 and attitude of lucky not 40 if no medical card

Then I seen you can get the same place to request one and get it free in hospital :rolleyes:

Then I seen some piece on quick google about claiming it back

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jeffk wrote: »
    Im a type two diabetic and for two and a half years got them for free

Moved surgery and told they wanted 20 and attitude of lucky not 40 if no medical card

Then I seen you can get the same place to request one and get it free in hospital :rolleyes:

Then I seen some piece on quick google about claiming it back

If you want to get it done in a hospital be prepared for a long wait. My mother often waits up to 4 weeks just for an appointment to take blood. less hassle just to pay the gp to do it.

• Advertisement

If you want to get it done in a hospital be prepared for a long wait. My mother often waits up to 4 weeks just for an appointment to take blood. less hassle just to pay the gp to do it.

It's only twice a year, so if I'd get into routine of knowing I've to book in advance

That or go back to my other doctor I suppose (if or when I can)

It's only twice a year, so if I'd get into routine of knowing I've to book in advance

That or go back to my other doctor I suppose (if or when I can)

If the blood test request comes from your endo then you can probably rock up to the phlebotomy clinic and take a number. I know because i do this when i need bloods done for my endo appointment.

I'm not sure what hospital your mother uses, but St Vincents in Dublin has availability for Fasting Blood Tests next week - very easy to book.

https://www.swiftqueue.com/timescreen.php?id=10075&rid=49&fasting=true

I'm not sure what hospital your mother uses, but St Vincents in Dublin has availability for Fasting Blood Tests next week - very easy to book.

https://www.swiftqueue.com/timescreen.php?id=10075&rid=49&fasting=true

beaumont. The next available is Dec 27th.

beaumont. The next available is Dec 27th.

So that's three weeks, including Christmas week

So that's three weeks, including Christmas week

i said up to 4 weeks. what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Garp242 wrote: »
    Can Doctors charge for routine Blood Tests ??

Recently a notice went up in my doctors waiting room, stating that in future there will be a charge for Blood Tests - "Private Patients - €20, Medical Card Holders - €15"... In the past, there was no charge for this service.

But the HSE website states that ... "Routine blood tests where the service is part of the investigation and necessary treatment of your symptoms or condition" ... are free of charge.

So ... Are Doctors allowed to charge for this service ??
    Like this at my doctors for at least 3 years

i said up to 4 weeks. what is the problem?

The problem is exaggerating a minor issue.

If it suits someone to pay extra in their GPs surgery, then good for them.

But it is worth reminding people that the free service is available at major hospitals with very little delays.

In my experience, the phlebotomists at St Vincents are top class, and get a vein first time every time, something others who aren't doing this all day every day can struggle with.

The problem is exaggerating a minor issue.

If it suits someone to pay extra in their GPs surgery, then good for them.

But it is worth reminding people that the free service is available at major hospitals with very little delays.

In my experience, the phlebotomists at St Vincents are top class, and get a vein first time every time, something others who aren't doing this all day every day can struggle with.

3+ weeks is not a "very little delay". we dont all live next to vincents.

Surely if you're like myself and know there's a delay you can plan

Even put reminder in your calendar with alert three to four weeks before you usually get the test

• Advertisement

Surely if you're like myself and know there's a delay you can plan

Even put reminder in your calendar with alert three to four weeks before you usually get the test

like i said this does not affect me. It does affect my mother who does not require regular blood tests so cannot plan in that way.

like i said this does not affect me. It does affect my mother who does not require regular blood tests so cannot plan in that way.

I mean people in general

I mean people in general

In general people do not require regular blood tests. they go to their gp with a complaint, the gp tells them they need bloods taken so they either pay the GP to do it (or more likely a nurse) or they wait until they can get an appointment.

In general people do not require regular blood tests. they go to their gp with a complaint, the gp tells them they need bloods taken so they either pay the GP to do it (or more likely a nurse) or they wait until they can get an appointment.

You may want to check how many diabetics there are and make you rethink that

You may want to check how many diabetics there are and make you rethink that

I have a good idea thanks, i am one myself. still a minority of the population.

I have a good idea thanks, i am one myself. still a minority of the population.

Then why are they pushing to have people deal with it via their GP rather than the local diabetic clinic?

They can't handle the numbers

I’d rather pay and have my gp do the test than wait for an appointment, go the hospital a few weeks later and get it free.

Normally if I’m getting tests, I want the results quickly and put the worry to bed.

Then why are they pushing to have people deal with it via their GP rather than the local diabetic clinic?

They can't handle the numbers

I'm making a general point about people being forced to pay for blood tests. And i have never been pushed to deal with it via my GP. and any overcrowding at diabetic clinics is blood test related as the clinics dont do blood tests any way. or at least mine doesnt.

Got my letter, 31st January for blood test

Should have remembered in Ireland if you wanted medical things done fast then cough up money

• Advertisement

Got my letter, 31st January for blood test

Should have remembered in Ireland if you wanted medical things done fast then cough up money

Which hospital is this?

Advertisement