Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Doctors charge for routine Blood Tests ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Toots wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember before the Cervical Check scheme came in, smear tests for medical card holders were free, but there was a €10 fee to cover the cost of the courier and also the disposal of the equipment (or something like that). I think it's the same with the bloods.

My GP tried to get my missus to bring her smear check to the post office to send it off to the lab. I had a fairly tough discussion with him afterwards. The CervicalCheck.ie folks confirmed that this shouldn't have happened - they pay the GP to provide the service. If the GP is not able or willing to provide the complete end-to-end service, he should come off the Cervical Check list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I have a medical card and up until last year my blood tests were free. Then GP started charging €20 for them. No sign up. No prior warning. Was told by the receptionist on my way out that I'd have to pay. I'm on long term medication that has a high chance of damaging my liver so I'm supposed to have bloods done every month, but I just can't afford to. Haven't had them checked at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I have a medical card and up until last year my blood tests were free. Then GP started charging €20 for them. No sign up. No prior warning. Was told by the receptionist on my way out that I'd have to pay. I'm on long term medication that has a high chance of damaging my liver so I'm supposed to have bloods done every month, but I just can't afford to. Haven't had them checked at all this year.

Ask for a referral to your local hospital instead.

Ask for a referral to your local hospital instead.

It would still cost me about the same in petrol. The local hospital isn't so local. Hoping when I next see the consultant he might get the nurse to do them for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Change your gp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

HSE does fund public medical diagnostic labs to provide tests for free to GPS. That includes the request forms, sample collection material, reagents, instruments, staff, etc.
    What the HSE doesn't pay for is the person taking the sample or interpreting the result. Most surgeries now have a practise nurse that takes blood samples and these charges cover the cost of employing them. In ireland a patient is not automatically entitled to their results either - a clinician must interpret them for the patient. So that's time the GP spends reviewing your chart even if it's a phone call to say everything's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

You really cant afford to have your bloods taken? You say there is a high chance of the medication damaging your liver and you go months without having your blood checked! That is just daft. If it was me I would just shave the spending a little somewhere else and take care of my health first.

You really cant afford to have your bloods taken? You say there is a high chance of the medication damaging your liver and you go months without having your blood checked! That is just daft. If it was me I would just shave the spending a little somewhere else and take care of my health first.

That's very easy to say, and I agree with you in theory. However at the moment I'm unable to work. The spending has already been shaved. The bills have to be paid. Food has to be put on the table. Car has to be kept on the road. Some months I have to pick and choose which medications I actually take depending on how much I can afford to pay out in prescription levy. There just isn't an extra €20 to spare at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would still cost me about the same in petrol. The local hospital isn't so local. Hoping when I next see the consultant he might get the nurse to do them for me.

There's no way a trip to a hospital for bloods would cost you €20 in petrol. Even local hospitals that have had many services led to regional centres will do bloods.

Same here. My doc never charged. Ive been on medical card now for last few years, also with her.
    Went for menopause blood test and she wanted 30 quid for it.

Im waiting on hospital appointment now instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My last GP (who I only changed because I moved) had a relatively quiet practice, so he wouldn't have had bloods to go to a lab every day - because of that he needed to charge to get a courier to bring my blood to the lab - he couldn't let it sit around for a few days waiting to have enough to send a big batch. A previous practice I used attend always had large batches of bloods each day, so they usen't charge as the courier used just come at a certain time each day, and between all the patients it might have been 50p each.

The charge is usually for the courier, not the testing. The cost of drawing the blood and going through the results is usually included in consultation fee. As with others, my last GP would have waived the charge if I'd gone to the local phlebotomy clinic and had the blood taken there, or delivered the blood to the lab myself. I found it more convenient to have him do it, and pay him the €20, but there were other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

??? It'd always been €80 for bloods for me for as long as I remember

€60 doctor
    €20 bloods

50 + 10 in my GP, you bring it yourself to the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I was in Ireland, my doc charged, but gave the option of me ringing him at a later date and getting the results over the phone, to save me coming in (and having to take time off work).

It was usually €55 for consultation, and €25 for bloods. So if I'm only going in for bloods, and nothing else, it's only €25, but if I'm going in to ask him questions, he'll charge €55 and do the bloods as part of that €55.

TBH, I'm paying for his time.
    Thoie wrote: »
    My last GP (who I only changed because I moved) had a relatively quiet practice, so he wouldn't have had bloods to go to a lab every day - because of that he needed to charge to get a courier to bring my blood to the lab - he couldn't let it sit around for a few days waiting to have enough to send a big batch.
    My doctor in Ireland would usually do all bloods Tuesday morn, as Tuesday at noon they'd be sent off.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My doctor does them on Monday, wednesday and Friday. They'll do them for you on a tues or thurs but there's no courier those days, so you'd have to deliver them down to Vincents yourself because they have to go to the lab that same day. Not a hope in hell I'd be doing that, if I had a bag of blood vials in the passenger seat next to me I'd faint before I got out of the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Toots wrote: »
    My doctor does them on Monday, wednesday and Friday. They'll do them for you on a tues or thurs but there's no courier those days, so you'd have to deliver them down to Vincents yourself because they have to go to the lab that same day. Not a hope in hell I'd be doing that, if I had a bag of blood vials in the passenger seat next to me I'd faint before I got out of the car park.

My doctors surgery WON'T do them on a Friday because the by the time the tests get done on a Monday its too late to test - well thats what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 catmack

What is the update on this issue, just went today to my GP and a sign up 10 euros for routine bloodwork with medical card. I did not say anything to them. HSE says GP can't charge, what is the deal here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

not sounding smart, but given a choice between paying for internet access and blood tests, I know what I'd choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭malinheader

My GP charges but you have the option to go to a hospital blood test clinic for free with note.

Same here my GP charges 10 euros irrespective of medical card or not. Or you can travel to the local hospital where it is done free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Routine would incur a fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

catmack wrote: »
    What is the update on this issue, just went today to my GP and a sign up 10 euros for routine bloodwork with medical card. I did not say anything to them. HSE says GP can't charge, what is the deal here.

GP can't charge for the testing of blood because the HSE provides that for free. GP can charge for their time and skill in taking & interpreting. Not sure what medical card contracts say about it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My GP always used to send me to the hospital for bloods. I was never charged for these but always paid my GP's fee in the first place, and then again when I went back to him for the results, €60 each time. Then one day he said I should get the bloods taken in his surgery, they would cost 'only' €30. When I said why would I pay €30 when I usually get it free in the hospital he said its much quicker. I didn't bite that but my husband did a few months later, paid the GP €60, then €30 for the bloods to be taken, still had to wait more than 2 weeks for the results to come back from the same hospital, went back to the GP, another €60. When I questioned this with the GP it turns out they just take the bloods and send them into the same hospital. The GP's staff do not do any testing. Why on earth would I pay them to take the bloods? Its free at the hospital! I am happy to pay my GP for any treatment and consultation but not for a blood test he does not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Jellybaby1 wrote:
    I didn't bite that but my husband did a few months later, paid the GP €60, then €30 for the bloods to be taken, still had to wait more than 2 weeks for the results to come back from the same hospital, went back to the GP, another €60.

I think that's crazy expensive.
    My gp charged me €25 for just having routine bloods taken. I wasn't in for any particular ailment. Getting the results was free.

I would find a new doctor if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

+1, I'm never charged for results tho' usually get over phone. Don't think they'd charge tho' even if called me in to discuss. That's having paid for the blood test.

There is a notice in Reception from the College of General Practitioners outlining a long ist of services which incur a fee even for Medical Card holders. It includes school notes, fitness to work notes etc.

Many practices employ a nurse to amongst other things take bloods so it stands to reason that there would be a charge for the service but a GP level charge to get results is ott

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My GP only started talking blood in the surgery about 10 years ago. Before that he'd send you to Beaumont Hospital. Now two do come in at 8am every Tuesday to take blood. The fee is 30 euro they take bloods till 9:30am. Both doctors are flat out for the 90 minutes. Most people seem more than happy to pay the 30 euro rather than go to the hospital. I think it is value for money in the time it saves me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A relative of mine (over 70s medical card) is changing GPs at the moment due to his regular GP no longer being allowed take medical card patients as he recently turned 71 himself. The new practice gave him an information leaflet with a list of things not covered by medical card. Routine (non urgent) blood tests are not covered according to the list and there will be a charge of €20 or you go to the hospital clinic for free.

However it also says chronic disease management is not covered and he's quite concerned about this!

Thanks so much, which brings me to ask, if the hospital provides test for free, who reads and interprets it,??

• Advertisement

So I wonder if he then charges you to interpret the results?

Advertisement