Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S import VRT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

umbauk wrote: »
    Have an appointment to register my imported 2014 Model S on 13th Jan. Am expecting to have to pay €5k but hoping for less. Will let you know how it goes!
    Yea keep us posted. I'd say it will be a lot less that you have to pay after the 5k deduction. How many different versions of the model s are there? Like I mean are there different letters after the model s that would indicate a higher spec which in turn will indicate a higher vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

[snip]

MOD NOTE: You've been warned that advertising on this forum is not acceptable. Infraction issued.

Sorry to repeat myself, you can get an independent valuation and estimate here: [snip]

I did use that site the other day but was wondering if there was another website and why should we have to pay for this service when it should be provided free.

Sorry to repeat myself, you can get an independent valuation and estimate here: [snip]

---Quote (Originally by Doc el brown)---
    I did use that site the other day but was wondering if there was another website and *why should we have to pay for this service when it should be provided free*.
    ---End Quote---
    What are you on about?
    The VRT calc is free and has existed for years. Any simple Google search on "how to import a car to Ireland" would have found it. Even typing in VRT would have found it. Just use the calculator, get the estimate and pay the VRT on the day which will be within a couple of percent of the estimate (as they take into account more details).

Are you telling us no one in any of the offices you rang mentioned using the VRT calculator?"

---Quote (Originally by Doc el brown)---

I think you must be half asleep! I've been importing cars for many many years and I know the calculator exists but it doesn't for tesla, you have to pay €5 for the privilege. So I ask you to go to the calculator and get me a price for the tesla model s 2015 please since your an expert and post it here. Have you not been reading the posts??

---End Quote---

The reason [snip] charges is it is an independent site and has invested time and money in creating and maintaining the website and the calculators. [snip] does run for free unlike the revenue website which has €millions behind it.

• Advertisement

The reason [snip] charges is it is an independent site and has invested time and money in creating and maintaining the website and the calculators. [snip] does run for free unlike the revenue website which has €millions behind it.

Very good. We all know that but the initial point was why should we have to pay for it when it's free for all other cars! Then you want on your condescending rant.

Thanks for your reply.

Very good. We all know that but the initial point was why should we have to pay for it when it's free for all other cars! Then you want on your condescending rant.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t intend to be condescending, was merely stating facts

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Giotto

Have an appointment to register my imported 2014 Model S on 13th Jan. Am expecting to have to pay €5k but hoping for less. Will let you know how it goes!
    How did you get on?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Any new Models S owner charging at the Sutton Dart station today? I didn't see the car myself, but my BIL took a photo when charging the Leaf we imported today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I was reading here about the width of the Tesla and thinking it can't be wider than a 6 series. It is!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

Went fine, but as expected they couldn't give me a tax amount on the day. They said Revenue will call me within the next 5 working days with the amount and then I can drop in to any NCT/VRT centre and pay it. Took about 30mins with an amusing moment when I was asked to pop the bonnet so they can check the engine "There is no engine..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam Casey

Any update on the VRT for the Model S. about to pull the trigger on one from the UK, would love to find out what the VRT is from someone who actually brought in one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Sam Casey wrote: »
    Any update on the VRT for the Model S. about to pull the trigger on one from the UK, would love to find out what the VRT is from someone who actually brought in one

Check with Phil Fitz. He has just brought one for a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

Got the figure from revenue today. I bought a 2014 Model S 85 for £49,700 and the VRT bill is €3,190, which is at the low end of my expectations.

If my math is right it means they valued the car at: (3190 + 5000)/0.14 = €58,500

It cost me £49,700 * 1.132 = €56,260

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Got the figure from revenue today. I bought a 2014 Model S 85 for £49,700 and the VRT bill is €3,190, which is at the low end of my expectations.

If my math is right it means they valued the car at: (3190 + 5000)/0.14 = €58,500

It cost me £49,700 * 1.132 = €56,260

The valuation is actually very sensible and not extortionate...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If only we could get an insight into the maths.

Like, is any 2014 Model S gonna attract €3k VRT, even though some are £25k auction cars and some are highly desirable CPO, AP, air, mint 7 seaters worth £50k?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

£25k auction cars?
    Where does one pick up one of these? Or review the listings?

At the moment other than the Daerik teslainventory site and Autotrader I don't know any other UK sites to look at.

(The irish second hand Tesla market is still in its infancy and the prices are ridiculous, >50k for a non-AP1 car still)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

A 2014, 21k miles, Model S 60 sold for £33k on SpeakEV in November, so 25k at auction sounds fairly plausible.

To be clear, I wasn't doubting the poster just asking where..for a "friend"..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

unkel wrote: »
    If only we could get an insight into the maths.

Like, is any 2014 Model S gonna attract €3k VRT, even though some are £25k auction cars and some are highly desirable CPO, AP, air, mint 7 seaters worth £50k?

Well thats the same with any car Revenue value, its just an average expected price on the market and the modifiers are mileage, year and "package spec" (as opposed individual options, MSport vs SE BMW). So I doubt they see the difference unless they are package spec differences. Maybe.

You can always get a bespoke re-valuation after you pay the initial one. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah there are trade only auctions in the UK where the prices are obviously well below private sales. I've seen a car mentioned on youtube last year for I think it was £26k. Highish mileage and not without blemishes, but half the price of a better specced lower mileage same year CPO car...

See for an S85 there would be a lot of people that would easily afford 25k but the low 40k sterling prices drive the end price well above €50k landed. And that's a psychological barrier for a lot. Including myself.

If these are trade only sales, where are they then sold on? EG dealer buys for 25-26k at auction, surely they sell on at 30-31? Where are these cars? I've only seen one in the 12 months I've been looking, and 6 of those 12 months are actively looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I've never seen any Tesla cheaper £40K, £25K sounds very tempting.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I've never seen any Tesla cheaper £40K, £25K sounds very tempting.

I posted a link to one that sold for £33k a few posts back.

air wrote: »
    I posted a link to one that sold for £33k a few posts back.

An exception, where did you even find the board/forum :)?

An obscure reference all right, a for sale add on one of the biggest EV forums in the world - definitely the biggest one in the UK & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam Casey

Thanks for that. did you tell them what you paid, the car I'm looking at is 40k delivered to Belfast.

Thanks for that. did you tell them what you paid, the car I'm looking at is 40k delivered to Belfast.
    Is that a CPO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Limerick_Lad

Hi,

I am also thinking of bringing in a Tesla 90D. Does anyone have one in Ireland and if so what is the realistic mileage. I will be travelling from Limerick to Dublin and back in the same day.

I am also concerned about the extra width. Does anyone have experience of the day to day hassle involved with the extra width?

Dave

Advertisement