Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Nations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

toomevara wrote: »

Saw "Eastwood out of weekend's game" heading in the paper this morning and thought England had lost Eastmond!

Big loss for the Kiwis, he's a strike player and a huge fella. Kiwis without himself and Mannering is a different proposition. They have more than ample cover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

AdeT wrote: »
    Saw "Eastwood out of weekend's game" heading in the paper this morning and thought England had lost Eastmond!

Big loss for the Kiwis, he's a strike player and a huge fella.

Definitely, quite a rejig required in the pack, but as you say, no loss in intensity and physicality from the Kiwis, but he does have a really good rugby brain (for a forward;))...looks like he'll miss most of preseason for us as well....

Definitely, quite a rejig required in the pack, but as you say, no loss in intensity and physicality from the Kiwis, but he does have a really good rugby brain (for a forward;))...looks like he'll miss most of preseason for us as well....

Even after pre-season's he's had a bit of fat on him - can only imagine his shape after a few months off...

Good off loading game and seems to time his involvement in attack very well. One less headache for Smithy (Tony that is)

On another Leeds related note, McGuire's, unsurprisingly,been dropped for the NZ game.

On another Leeds related note, McGuire's, unsurprisingly,been dropped for the NZ game.

true, he was poor last week

TS has completely ripped apart that right hand side

England: S Briscoe, Fox, Bridge, Shenton, Hall; Tomkins, Eastmond; Morley, Roby, Graham; Peacock (capt), Ellis, Sinfield.
    Replacements: Burgess, Crabtree, Westwood, Wilkin.

Feel half-sorry for Briscoe on the wing - I thought Lee Smith was worse than him. Smith had to go after last week. Bridge and Fox is an unknown quantity, I think they might go alright. Delighted with the halves. I'm also a fan of Wilkin - he has the ability to turn games and has a nack of picking up tries in important games.

As for McGuire - I think that may have been his last chance. He had an opportunity to show his quality and be the 'older head' who brought through the younger lads but he just hasn't been controlling games.

Read an interesting comment from Sinfield saying that he's happier playing international at the moment and his form has improved because they haven't been trying to play him like a NRL loose-forward, instead he's been playin ghis natural role, like at Leeds. How much merit there is to his comment I don't know, but he certainly seems to be more involved in the last two games

• Advertisement

Really, really like the look of that side...Fair play to Smith for going with Tomkins and Eastmond straight out of the traps. Hope it pays off. Ditto on Wilkin, superb player, always been a fan. That selection is going to give the Kiwis some food for thought...Feeling more positive about England's chances the closer we get to Sat eve. Got my tickets for the GF today, really hope it'll be an England/Australia showdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Great to see that TS is playing ball and making the much needed changes. BUT i still think they lack size on the right hand size and niether Fox nor Bridge are extremely big players thought Senior could of seen a look in. It ll all depend on the collosions though, New Zealand were very effective at turning the man in the tackle to get a slow play so England have to be in control if they fancy winning this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Agreed, this is a big step-forward in team selection, so hats-off to TS for taking decisive action in trying to counter the team's weaknesses.

Just saw the Kiwi team. I've just come over all believist (a friend of mine caught this illness last week before the Wigan game; he was cured within 10 minutes)

New Zealand: Hohaia (NZ Warriors); Perrett (Sydney Roosters), Foran (Manly), Sau (Newcastle), Goodwin (Canterbury Bulldogs); Marshall (Wests Tigers, capt), Fien (St George Illawarra); Nuuausala (Sydney Roosters), Leuluai (Wigan), Moimoi (Parramatta), Soliola (Sydney Roosters), Pritchard (Penrith), Blair (Melbourne).
    Substitutes: Luke (South Sydney), Lima (Melbourne), Matulino (NZ Warriors), Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly)

Their forward pack are big, quick and strong. Isaac Luke is the game breaker after 20 and Waerea-Hargreaves has looked good when I've seen him. A bit surprised Foran got the nod ahead of Inu, he's a half-back. I know Eastmond can cover centre and is a h/b but the Kiwis have Krisnan Inu sitting in the stands who is considered a great talent down under.

Saying that - people questioned Kearney's selection at the world cup and look what happened there...

I honestly think that if England can deal with the sheer, brutal aggression and physicality of the New Zealand pack they are more than capable of getting a result at the Galpharm. They've also got to start playing when the whistle blows and not 20/30 minutes in, like the Wales/Oz games.

• Advertisement

I honestly think that if England can deal with the sheer, brutal aggression and physicality of the New Zealand pack they are more than capable of getting a result at the Galpharm. They've also got to start playing when the whistle blows and not 20/30 minutes in, like the Wales/Oz games.

I'd like to think the balance of the Eng pack should be more than a match. Older hard head like Morley and JP allied with more modern forwards ilke Ellis and Graham. Sinfield, when effective, is a useful foil to these lads. There's a bit of hype over Moimoi v Burgess II but I don't think it'll materialise into everyone hunting a big hit - if it does, I'd worry about Eng as they may lose focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Bit of a nothing match between Oz and France earlier. Someone is watching the union here so I only saw the first 10 minutes of Eng/NZ, great first few minutes, lovely first try for England. Really hope I don't miss any rows. :pac: The union is just painful to switch back over to.
    Try for NZ there, up to video ref, looks fine though.

Beauty try by Fox

Silly question, have England to win by 20-odd to finish above NZ in the table or does a 1-point win get them into the final.

So odd watching League after a few minutes of Union, it's almost as if the players want to have possession. :pac:

NZ currently have 3 points - if England win they will have 4.

Think England are really up for this and are playing some great rugby. Expect real fireworks in the second-half.

Looking good for England. Kicking game crucifying the Kiwis. England pack have really put it up to the NZ boys. Eastmond's having a stormer and Sinfield's having a ball....really enjoyable game. On a sour note Alibert is clearly completely out of his depth you can see why the Aussies wouldn't have him for the Stoop game.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    NZ currently have 3 points - if England win they will have 4.

Think England are really up for this and are playing some great rugby. Expect real fireworks in the second-half.

Ah yeah, forgot about the draw with Oz. I'm really overcomplicating things in my head.:P

Looking forward to the second half, ****ty Union is almost over thank ****.

Great Kiwi try, game on.

Poor defence. Feeble attempts at tackling. Not the start that they needed - ominous.

Poor defence. Feeble attempts at tackling. Not the start that they needed - ominous.

Heads back in the game now Wakey, reckon they're going to shade it. Keep the faith.

• Advertisement

****in hit them! :D

The soccer has just started now, just can't get seeing more than 5 minutes at a bloody time. Really wanna see a row. Some very tasty tackles going in.

Morley and Peacock certainly are steadying influences but Bridge's tendency to give away silly penalties is not helping.

Will come down to who has the most petrol in the tank.

Bridge's tendency to give away silly penalties is not helping.

Totally agree. The kiwis are playing him like a fiddle. I count 3 daft penalties for him thus far.

go for the one pointer?

Shouldn't have been a penalty there. Try from it could piss England off.

Alibert's refereeing wasn't up to SL standard, it is simply disgraceful that he should be allowed to ref at international level:mad:

Alibert's refereeing wasn't up to SL standard, it is simply disgraceful that he should be allowed to ref at international level:mad:

QFT.

Take the points!

Gaz Ellis back on - badly need his defence.

Just don't muck it up now England! Whats the bet they ll go asleep for the next 8 minutes.

• Advertisement

Should be in the clear now. Not quite over but it'd be some ****-up to lose from here.

Advertisement