Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tbh I think it's more about who she was attempting to throw under the bus that has resulted in her temporary suspension rather than anything else. She's attacking a lot of the liberal elite and I doubt that sits too well with Jack. Twitter is after all the place that allowed Azealia Banks free reign to viciously abuse conservative politicians (NSFW examples: 1, 2) without feeling the need to action her. Wasn't until she racial abused a member of 1D that they finally suspended her.

I read earlier that twitter is now banning people for bad language. And that the suspension Rose got was a 12 hour suspension.

I've worked for a big online company. A lot of these type of suspensions are caused when the post hits a filter. The suspension is automatic and isn't done by a person.

It's always possible that someone physically reviewed the account but it's just as likely that it's automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

why I'm not surprised. a person, brave and without fear, has to be silenced one way or the other.
    this is for the people who still wonder why some people don't 'speak up'. here's one example what happens if you speak up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

jobr wrote: »
    Kate Beckinsale just put this up on Instagram:

"I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room which was very common.When I arrived ,reception told me to go to his room . He opened the door in his bathrobe . I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older ,unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him . After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left ,uneasy but unscathed."

Ah well sure you never know, Harvey may yet end up doing some Porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tara73 wrote: »
    why I'm not surprised. a person, brave and without fear, has to be silenced one way or the other.
    this is for the people who still wonder why some people don't 'speak up'. here's one example what happens if you speak up.

Twitter have said that the post she had up with a screen cap of an email contained someone's phone number, and that's why her account was suspended. She's removed that tweet and has access to the account again but hasn't tweeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah well sure you never know, Harvey may yet end up doing some Porridge.

If in reference to the age thing (Beckinsale being 17 at that time) that would likely depend as New York's age of consent is 17 but California's is 18 - other states vary of course but I'd assume it was one of these two states if in the US. She also seems to have lived in the UK until maybe her early 20s, where the age of consent is 16 - it may have happened there as she told him she had school the next day. Her first appearances on TV/film also came in 1991 when she was 17 and were UK productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Billy86 wrote: »
    If in reference to the age thing (Beckinsale being 17 at that time) that would likely depend as New York's age of consent is 17 but California's is 18 - other states vary of course but I'd assume it was one of these two states if in the US. She also seems to have lived in the UK until maybe her early 20s, where the age of consent is 16 - it may have happened there as she told him she had school the next day. Her first appearances on TV/film also came in 1991 when she was 17 and were UK productions.

He offered her alcohol. The age limit there is 21 I think

He offered her alcohol. The age limit there is 21 I think

Good point, missed that one! Yeah it's a blanket 21 in the US since the 70s I think it was and the UK is obviously 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Check this out for cringeworthyness :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41594764

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05jpbnn

Pathetic attempt at attention seeking. What a plonker.

Yes, was referencing the alcohol offer but primarily I was just indulging in a little paronomasia ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

AllForIt wrote: »

I saw that on Newsnight last night. It seemed horribly self indulgent on his part. He's not a victim in any of this so why was his opinion sought after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

The Met Police have now opened an investigation into Weinstein regarding an alleged incident that took places in the 80's.

The NYPD is also investigating an incident involving Weinstein that took place in 2004.

He isn't going to be worming his way out of this one I would think.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41597159

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I saw that on Newsnight last night. It seemed horribly self indulgent on his part. He's not a victim in any of this so why was his opinion sought after?
    He's a luvvie. Performers by their very nature have a higher than background level of attention seeking, self indulgence, self promotion and a visceral need for an audience, so when they see a showboat they want to be on it.

Attention for luvvies is like blood in the water for sharks and this is a huge feeding frenzy. We will doubtless observe as this unravels further that on top of the main women who have come forward with stories of sexual assault at his hands, we'll also start to get others trying to get on this showboat with little more than "he looked at me sexually, once. #imavictimtoo". There's been already an element of this with the Affleck guy. We have two videos, one cringe level 10, but the woman involved has come out and clearly stated it was a pre arranged all for show setup and he was actually a gentleman when the red light was off. The other where a woman said he grabbed her tit, yet it could be argued he must have arms like a gibbon to reach said mammary.

They also are very aware of the right and wrong types of attention. They have to be. If they're not, their agents and handlers are. Hence the sluggishness of so many to make waves while this was going on. In particular I'm thinking of the men in these women's lives who did eff all. And the real sluggishness in supporting the women who first broke this. It wasn't until the attention direction was sure did they release their statements condemning it.

That's why someone like Streep is so all over the place. She's a great actress, but not exactly the sharpest axe in the toolshed*, so will be caught up in the "art" of a rapist like Polanski, because it isn't relevant enough to her to get through her skull. She'll not notice, or she won't particularly care about Harvey's peccadilloes because again it wasn't relevant enough to her, beyond the consensus that Harvey was a "genius".

*While you certainly have people like Matt Damon and Jodie Foster who are bloody clever people, people who can go off script and have actual discussions and hold actual opinions of their own, there are a shedload of pretty thick Hollywood types, and ending up in that kind of sycophantic bubble won't help their brains. They get by with well rehearsed public personas that are honed on talk show couches and go which ever way the wind is currently blowing(or are told to go), but if they're asked to go off script and think....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Make up artist claims Affleck groped her in 2014.

https://twitter.com/amtendler/status/918209962056339456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

^^^He was just reaching for the gummi venus de milo.

Gummi-Venus-2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This kind of stuff dilutes the actual victims here.

It pales in comparison to what Weinstein did.

No he shouldn't have done it etc. etc. but is this really the time to bring up your horrific ordeal? Attention seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pac1Man wrote: »

No he shouldn't have done it etc. etc. but is this really the time to bring up your horrific ordeal? Attention seeking.

https://twitter.com/amtendler/status/918209962056339456
    Attention for luvvies is like blood in the water for sharks and this is a huge feeding frenzy. We will doubtless observe as this unravels further that on top of the main women who have come forward with stories of sexual assault at his hands, we'll also start to get others trying to get on this showboat with little more than "he looked at me sexually, once. #imavictimtoo".

Like I said, there's blood in the water. And the worst thing about all this is Weinstein(and Affleck to a lesser degree) will be the focus and all the ills of Hollywood will be fired at him, to a) increase attention and b) deflect from other "weinsteins" that are active now.

They also tend to be attention junkies so I expect much outrage for a time, each fighting over twitter to be the most supportive/victimised.

When something like this happens in Hollywood, or music biz or the fashion biz and goes public I think: A) sounds like he pissed off enough of the top movers and shakers or this would have never come to light(often they wait until a greasy bastard is dead). After all he kept paying off his previous victims to keep quiet for twenty years. Something changed. B)It's a pressure release valve for the ongoing stuff we never hear about and C) it looks like the industry is "taking this very seriously" and need a sacrificial goat to pin out, but tomorrow another aspiring actress(or actor) willing to do almost anything to be a "star" will be looking down the barrel of another greasy bastard on another casting couch. Business as usual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The Met Police have now opened an investigation into Weinstein regarding an alleged incident that took places in the 80's.

The NYPD is also investigating an incident involving Weinstein that took place in 2004.

He isn't going to be worming his way out of this one I would think.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41597159

Hopefully not and I think I heard something about FBI involvement, but the New York DA apparently has a lot of shady connections and such with his circle - the reason the woman wearing a wire went nowhere is supposed to be because the NYPD didn't involve him (the DA) in the process, yet there are heavy rumours that they didn't involve him because they were pretty certain he'd just give Weinstein a heads up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Considering Ben Affleck was condemning Weinstein and the sexual assault of women, and asking what he can do to prevent it happening to others, I think it's fairly relevant that people mention that maybe he shouldn't continue to grope women like he has done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

neonsofa wrote: »
    Considering Ben Affleck was condemning Weinstein and the sexual assault of women, and asking what he can do to prevent it happening to others, I think it's fairly relevant that people mention that maybe he shouldn't continue to grope women like he has done in the past.

Ok fair enough. I wasn't aware he made that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Ok fair enough. I wasn't aware he made that statement.

Yeah he swooped in with the knight in shining armour "these are our sisters" type statement, similar to the other one posted on here, so people quite rightly pointed out that he hasn't exactly been the most respectful towards women himself in the past.

• Advertisement

I agree with what you're saying, it deflects from the real focus of this matter.

Furthermore, I'm not comfortable with the attempted hijacking of these abuses by the feminist crowd too.
    Notice how most of the luvvies like Ben Affleck, Emma Thompson, Glenn Close, Merl Streep etc have been trying to rebrand it as a 'women's issue', with very little paid to the actual core problem. Which is rampant abuse of men, women, and children in Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

We've already seen allegations of male abuse from Terry Crews, James Van Der Beek, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim etc. And I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot more too, as I alluded to with the likes of Kevin Spacey in an earlier post.

Sexual abuse in Hollywood/entertainment isn't an exclusive problem for women. (Although in the case of Weinstein, the victims have been women so far it must be acknowledged of course.)

And if they're REALLY serious about tackling this problem, now they have momentum that is unprecedented in Hollywood history. The entire world's media is focused on them, so now is a once in a lifetime opportunity to destroy the paedophile and sexual assault networks that have infested Hollywood.

How about a massive, general strike until working conditions are changed?
    They already have the network from the previous women's march, and those pussy hats are sitting in the closet lying idle.

It's time to shit or get off the pot, celebrities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Dennis Pennis: I]to Demi Moore[/I Are there any circumstances, if it wasn't gratuitous and it was tastefully done, would consider keeping your clothes on in a movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They got Dawson. 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

AllForIt wrote: »

Yeah, that's... weird. Imagining, even in disgust, a scenario where your daughter (who is still a child) is chased around a room by Harvey W and putting it into words in so much detail... WEIRD. I'd feel so uncomfortable about that if I was his kid.

For those of you who are wondering just how hard it is to come forward and convince people that you have been abused, take a look at Corey Feldman being interviewed on the view by Barbara Walters.

Notice her cynical reaction when he explains to her how he was abused, and that it was carried out by some of the most powerful people in Hollywood.

"But you're damaging an entire industry!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I agree with what you're saying, it deflects from the real focus of this matter.

Furthermore, I'm not comfortable with the attempted hijacking of these abuses by the feminist crowd too.
    Notice how most of the luvvies like Ben Affleck, Emma Thompson, Glenn Close, Merl Streep etc have been trying to rebrand it as a 'women's issue', with very little paid to the actual core problem. Which is rampant abuse of men, women, and children in Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

We've already seen allegations of male abuse from Terry Crews, James Van Der Beek, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim etc. And I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot more too, as I alluded to with the likes of Kevin Spacey in an earlier post.

Sexual abuse in Hollywood/entertainment isn't an exclusive problem for women. (Although in the case of Weinstein, the victims have been women so far it must be acknowledged of course.)

And if they're REALLY serious about tackling this problem, now they have momentum that is unprecedented in Hollywood history. The entire world's media is focused on them, so now is a once in a lifetime opportunity to destroy the paedophile and sexual assault networks that have infested Hollywood.

They already have the network from the previous women's march, and those pussy hats are sitting in the closet lying idle.

The powers that be are getting off the pot alright, just not in the way normal people would expect. Weinstein's name is already being removed from projects he's been involved in to sweep it all under the carpet and by this time next year, that same name will be verboten to the hollyweird types.

The whiteknighting by certain folks has backfired, you only have to look at the lack of coverage on Affleck in the industry rags to see how much they don't want to cover this story, so expect more vague claims of not knowing what really went on. I wouldn't be surprised if those actors who have come forward will find it very hard to get work once the media's attention has turned its gaze on something else. Weinstein's made these people fortunes and famous and just like Polanski, his sin is not what he did but that word got out and put the eye of the world on their cosy little slime pit.
    For those of you who are wondering just how hard it is to come forward and convince people that you have been abused, take a look at Corey Feldman being interviewed on the view by Barbara Walters.

Notice her cynical reaction when he explains to her how he was abused, and that it was carried out by some of the most powerful people in Hollywood.

This is all the hollywood types care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Jake1 wrote: »

There was a very nasty blind item a while ago that was supposed to be about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Venom wrote: »

Clooney is a smug turd. Always has been. Never understood why people rated him as an actor. Or human being.

• Advertisement

Clooney is a smug turd. Always has been. Never understood why people rated him as an actor. Or human being.

Same here, smarmy looking. Ive always thought that marriage was a step toward his future in politics.
    Cynical, I know, but thats what Ive thought.

It is interesting sad how messed up Feldman clearly is in the head over this stuff if you've followed much of his antics in recent years (basically a much more long term, depressing breakdown of the sort Charlie Sheen had 5 odd years back), but there's a hell of a lot of validity in what he's saying and right at the end of that video points out something more than anything that gives him a lot of credibility (had thought of it a day or two back but couldn't remember if it was him or Macauley Culkin) - he has always been adamant that Michael Jackson never did a single bad thing to him, and even acknowledges himself "of all people."

The guy is literally pleading with parents here to be very cautious with their children in that industry, and he's only getting ridiculed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Same here, smarmy looking. Ive always thought that marriage was a step toward his future in politics.

Oh yes. Nice little lawyer/human rights activist First Lady, that'll do nicely.

The powers that be are getting off the pot alright, just not in the way normal people would expect. Weinstein's name is already being removed from projects he's been involved in to sweep it all under the carpet and by this time next year, that same name will be verboten to the hollyweird types.

The whiteknighting by certain folks has backfired, you only have to look at the lack of coverage on Affleck in the industry rags to see how much they don't want to cover this story, so expect more vague claims of not knowing what really went on. I wouldn't be surprised if those actors who have come forward will find it very hard to get work once the media's attention has turned its gaze on something else. Weinstein's made these people fortunes and famous and just like Polanski, his sin is not what he did but that word got out and put the eye of the world on their cosy little slime pit.

Yeah, agree with all that. It's almost a cult at this stage. You're marginalized in Hollywood when you don't have liberal views also. I think most people would struggle to name a few conservative actors, comedians or TV hosts for example. The Tonight Show, Kimmel, SNL, The Daily Show all sing from the same hymn sheet. Online is the same story with the largest platforms having liberal affiliations which is why I think there is such a furore over what's happening now with the NFL. Sport is about all conservatives have when it comes to TV. That and the Country Music channel I guess.

Affleck and is fellow virtue signalers are being shown to be fake. He had already been shown to be full of it when he went on Bill Maher in defense of Islam. Then when a show akin to 'Who Do You Think You Are?' found his ancestors owned slaves he tried to bury it. It just all adds up to someone trying very hard to create this liberal / squeaky clean progressive persona that is a far cry from who he really is. Cheating scum bag too.

Hopefully more of these celebs with paper thin facades will be exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm starting to wonder if Eyes Wide Shut is pretty much just a documentary into the Hollywood abyss...

Well of course BL. The "feminist crowd" are the flavour of the day and their mouthpieces are just peddling that. It sells. PLus your Hollywood types have pretty much been right on middle class Neo liberals since the 70's. For them the 70's never went away, so that's their frame of reference. And as I said many of them are as bright as a two watt lightbulb. Switched off.
    Sure, but male abuse is allied to the Gay side of things, so because these muppets are mostly thick they are afraid of calling out such things in case they're seen as homophobic. Which is a nonsense. Indeed there have been a few guys from the Gay community who have called out such dodgy goings on in Hollywood and the entertainment industry. Rightfully. I condemn Weinstein and other greasy bastards like him who prey on women, does this make me heterophobic? Bollocks it does.
    Exactly. On both counts. There is also a sleazy side where young male stars are paraded around parties to be leered at and fondled by older women in the biz, mostly wives and relatives of big players and investors. Greasy old bitches leering at young men(and sometimes women) isn't as commonplace as greasy old bastards leering at young women(and sometimes men), but it goes on.

Never gonna happen B. The honey pot is too sweet and there's too much money at stake. The obvious and greasy bastards like Weinstein are the tip of the iceberg. And he was hugely obvious, yet he got away with it for over twenty years. He likely would have got away with it entirely if *allegedly* people closer to home, his brother, according to Harvey himself, didn't want him out of the company.

Years ago I read a good book(whose name escapes) about the history and people in the US porn business and among all the weirdness and such, I also recall one actress who had been a brief time in the Hollywood arena, who then went on to porn and what she said about the differences. It was along the lines of: at least with porn you knew what you were getting into. It had sleazy men and not so sleazy, but they were honest and up front. If I gave the director/producer a blowjob I'd get the gig and it was nearly as much about my "talent". In Hollywood the blowjob was the start of it and all about power. Porn was honest, Hollywood was not.

She and others, men and women, also reckoned that porn was more internally supportive back then and dodgy men(and the occasional woman) were weeded out and fast if women complained about anyone. When porn went mainstream in the 70's they had a lot of the Hollywood types sniffing around looking for what angle they could get from it and again the porn types reckoned that a lot of the Hollywood types made them look like innocents.

I'll try and dig out the book title, it was interesting from a human point of view.

This would be seen as a venial sin, though a bad one as it went public, the true mortal sin of Hollywood and for which forgiveness is rare is to lose money.
    That's all they care about and the actors, the mouthpieces peddling the current philosophy/politic de jour are an easily digestible pill for the mob who hang on their every word. It's all about the money. Always has been and is more than ever these days. One reason why the good stuff is more on TV. Cheaper with fewer losses, so the bigwigs care less about it. The Godfather if made today would be a Netflix series. No way would it get green lit by the studios. Neither would something like Star Wars. The rejig of same, The Farce Awakens a perfect example of how hollow and unimaginative the mainstream studios have become.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well of course BL. The "feminist crowd" are the flavour of the day and their mouthpieces are just peddling that. It sells. PLus your Hollywood types have pretty much been right on middle class Neo liberals since the 70's. For them the 70's never went away, so that's their frame of reference. And as I said many of them are as bright as a two watt lightbulb. Switched off.

And like clockwork........ from Newsnight earlier:
    "What we need to start talking about is the crisis of *extreme masculinity* which is this sort of behaviour"

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/918537039871660035

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ah Jaysus I used to really like Emma Thompson but she comes across pure scour there. I was half expecting her to turn to the camera and start waving her finger at every man watching.

• Advertisement

Think it was Wibbs who mentioned 'Word Salad' :pac:

Tarantinos word salad..

Utterly shocked by the revelations about Harvey. He is a good friend, but if he is guilty, there are issues that are inevitable.
    2:26 PM - Oct 11, 2017

The guilt of men on the face of the earth must be determined by Justice and ultimately by the possible existence of God.
    11:01 PM - Oct 11, 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'd say there's plenty of current A list actors and actresses that have found themselves in dodgy situations at some point but have gone along with it to further their careers and have reaped the rewards.

Everybody currently involved in the industry has come through the system so really none of the revelations that arise about various actors, actresses, directors and producers should be surprising. The whole thing is a write off in my opinion but ill bet give it six months and it'll be all swept under the rug and itll be as you were. There's just too much money involved for it to end any other way

sonic85 wrote: »
    I'd say there's plenty of current A list actors and actresses that have found themselves in dodgy situations at some point but have gone along with it to further their careers and have reaped the rewards.

Everybody currently involved in the industry has come through the system so really none of the revelations that arise about various actors, actresses, directors and producers should be surprising. The whole thing is a write off in my opinion but ill bet give it six months and it'll be all swept under the rug and itll be as you were. There's just too much money involved for it to end any other way
    Nail. Meet head. Bang on S and a near guaranteed prescient take on what will happen.

One wonders what Thompson would respond with if questioned about female teachers having sex with (/ statutorily raping) young boys. Would she call that evidence of there being a crisis of "extreme femininity"? Course not. She spouts on about equality all the time and yet something like happens and she immediately comes out with sexist claptrap that would suggest Harvey Weinstein's real problem is that he is too damn masculine. Sheesh.

One wonders what Thompson would respond with if questioned about female teachers having sex with (/ statutorily raping) young boys. Would she call that evidence of there being a crisis of "extreme femininity"? Course not. She spouts on about equality all the time and yet something like happens and she immediately comes out with sexist claptrap that would suggest Harvey Weinstein's real problem is that he is too damn masculine. Sheesh.

Utter tripe. Disgusting sexist tripe at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not sure if posted already but Seth McFarlane a couple of years ago:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Lots of mentions on this thread of Meryl Streep's support of paedophile Roman Polanski but none of countless A-List directors/actors and critics continuing adoration of Woody Allen.

Because he is a pretty decent actor, particularly in Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Don't know him as "a human being". Don't think he "looks smarmy". And what is this about a future in politics? I know he is political, but can't see him running for any office soon...at least not in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Affleck has earned the nickname 'Buttman' now-and the marketing team behind the Justice League film are really going to have their work cut out for them. They have Joss Whedon, cheater, harasser and low level Weinstein. Ben Affleck, cheater, harasser, and friend of Weinstein, and then they have Jason Mamoa-who made a rape joke at a comic con, about working on Game of Thrones and being allowed 'rape pretty women'. But the last guy has apologised, and has made reparations ever since, getting involved in rape groups in the years since then.

I do know that Elijah Wood has spoken that paedophilia is endemic in hollywood, and how his parents protected him from it. Like, other kids stayed out late, were more than likely preyed upon, Wood's parents made sure he was home after a job-and his homework was done on time. So he was shielded from the worst of it. Unfortunately, he was a rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Brad Renfro, who was the title character in Bryan Singer's Apt Pupil that someone pointed out earlier has a very disturbing lingering shot on him showering naked as about a 15 year old. The accusations against Singer seem to have some merit and they're on a whole different level to Weinstein's (which says something given how rotten as Weinstein's are themselves). In the year or so after the filming of Apt Pupil (1998) he came heavily involved in substance abuse, crime and eventually died of an overdose in 2008 aged 25.

Jonathan Brandis was another highly prolific child actor in the late 80s/early 90s who is alleged to have been the subject of a lot of sexual abuse. Sadly we won't know as the acting roles began drying up when he 'came of age' and he hung himself aged 27 back in 2003.

There's even more than those two. Some are kind of forgotten, so brief were their careers.
    Brandis suffered from depression, and may have been abused, I didn't know about the latter. But considering how he was pushed to work as a kid, seeing it as his only 'outlet' I wouldn't be surprised if someone hadn't abused him.

There is also Christopher Pettiet. He's not too well remembered, sadly, but he was a child actor and friend of Leo Di Caprio, and Toby McGuire. Starred in a lot of tv shows, and the movie 'Don't tell mom the baby sitters dead'. At 15 yrs of age, he already had an out of control drug problem, even during 'don't tell mom...' (The producers and director worked around it, editing the script and his scenes). Died at the age of 24 from an overdose in 2000.

There's also Leif Garrett-who was marketed as a teen idol. He sang, and acted in shows like Gunsmoke and Wonder Woman. He started using drugs at the age of 14, with his mother admitting she was very hands off with him and his career-he had his own place before he could legally drive. Even lived with his girlfriend (Nicolette Sheridan, she of Knots Landing and Desperate Housewives). And when he could drive, he drove drunk, high on cocaine and qualludes, leaving a friend a paraplegic due to a car accident. Even was arrested for drugs as recent as 2010. He seems like one of these people who was preyed upon.

River Phoenix-his parents were part of a religious cult that endorsed 'adults having sex with children' tho claiming they left it before then. Despite River claiming to have had sex when he was four. I believe there may have been something, whatever it was. Died of an overdose aged 23.

One of the ones I was surprised about was Ashleigh Aston Moore. I remember watching her in a tv show called the Odyssey, and she seemed like she was having fun, and she was really talented. She also starred in the movie Once and Again, and I thought she would continue in acting. But two years after that film, she quit. She died aged 26, on imdb her death is recorded as 'from bronchitis and pneumonia', but others state 'heroine overdose'.

Corey Haim seems to have been the most tragic of all-his agent was allowed continue grooming and raping boys. And there was probably more than one person who was raping him.

Renfro didn't even get dignity in death-not long after his passing, Heath Ledger died. Brad was all but forgotten, and the camera focused on Ledger. I feel it was important, and a missed opportunity, to ask why Renfro's addiction had spiralled.

There's a whole list of child actors who died young. Some from tragedies such as car accidents, or were murdered (Judith Barsi from All Dogs Go to Heaven, killed by her dad during the making of the film, is one example). Others from addiction.
    https://www.ranker.com/list/30-child-actors-who-died-young/celebrity-lists

There is also Christopher Pettiet. He's not too well remembered, sadly, but he was a child actor and friend of Leo Di Caprio, and Toby McGuire. Starred in a lot of tv shows, and the movie 'Don't tell mom the baby sitters dead'. At 15 yrs of age, he already had an out of control drug problem, even during 'don't tell mom...' (The producers and director worked around it, editing the script and his scenes). Died at the age of 24 from an overdose in 2000.

There's also Leif Garrett-who was marketed as a teen idol. He sang, and acted in shows like Gunsmoke and Wonder Woman. He started using drugs at the age of 14, with his mother admitting she was very hands off with him and his career-he had his own place before he could legally drive. Even lived with his girlfriend (Nicolette Sheridan, she of Knots Landing and Desperate Housewives). And when he could drive, he drove drunk, high on cocaine and qualludes, leaving a friend a paraplegic due to a car accident. Even was arrested for drugs as recent as 2010. He seems like one of these people who was preyed upon.

One of the ones I was surprised about was Ashleigh Aston Moore. I remember watching her in a tv show called the Odyssey, and she seemed like she was having fun, and she was really talented. She also starred in the movie Once and Again, and I thought she would continue in acting. But two years after that film, she quit. She died aged 26, on imdb her death is recorded as 'from bronchitis and pneumonia', but others state 'heroine overdose'.

Could you specify the allegations about abuse in the above 3 cases?

Otherwise it kinda looks like a "these people died young...ergo I'm guessing they were abused".

Which seems to me to be a reductive way of looking at very complex issues, celebrity and the end of celebrity, wealth and dwindling wealth, power, depression, drugs, alcohol and yes, possibly, abuse...and all on the mind of a young and immature person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement