Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

The 400m was a mistake. The original installer used the incorrect distribution point. Technically you could be 10km (DP ≤ 10km from exchange) from the distribution point and have a working connection but that is not how open eir operate. They want short drops from distribution points to premises.

Thanks Navi. Whats technically possible and whats Openeir possible are 2 totally different things. :D
    Makes a certain amount of sense to have short drops. If a line gets damaged from DP to premises its a lot easier and cheaper to replace 100 meters of line than 10Km :D
    Still dont make me happy having to wait a few years for NBP :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

With June not far off now, does anyone know what happening regarding the 300k deadline? Will it just overrun until completion or what's the situation. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

jgbyr wrote: »
    With June not far off now, does anyone know what happening regarding the 300k deadline? Will it just overrun until completion or what's the situation. Thanks

I haven't seen the latest numbers but I suspect they will miss the deadline even though eir are saying publicly that they will make it. Some of the ISPs that post here could confirm the most up to date total.

According to the contract they should be liable for penalties but I suspect nothing will happen if the deadline is missed as the DCCAE won't want to draw more negative attention to the already controversial decision of allowing eir take 300000 premises from the NBP. It will probably just trundle on until completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A list I have from one of the ops says 185K enabled eircodes, but that can't be right. Might be the SIRO footprint if they havent moved of late.

ED E wrote: »
    A list I have from one of the ops says 185K enabled eircodes, but that can't be right. Might be the SIRO footprint if they havent moved of late.

That's SIRO from ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I haven't seen the latest numbers but I suspect they will miss the deadline even though eir are saying publicly that they will make it. Some of the ISPs that post here could confirm the most up to date total.

According to the contract they should be liable for penalties but I suspect nothing will happen if the deadline is missed as the DCCAE won't want to draw more negative attention to the already controversial decision of allowing eir take 300000 premises from the NBP. It will probably just trundle on until completion.

Thanks Navi.
    There's so little information available to the public that it difficult to know what's going on. It seems to be a matter of when you see crews in the area, it will be available, at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My speeds are still on the 300 package, I swapped back to the 150 yday, maybe it just hasnt gone through yet.
    Is there any noticeable difference in the two in reality? I know that for direct downloads the 300 is quicker but for everyday use, streaming etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Pangea wrote: »
    My speeds are still on the 300 package, I swapped back to the 150 yday, maybe it just hasnt gone through yet.
    Is there any noticeable difference in the two in reality? I know that for direct downloads the 300 is quicker but for everyday use, streaming etc ?

little difference in the normal course of events ... would change with multiple 8K videos streaming or such.
    Upload speed is better on 300 - that can be helpful to some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Hi Gonzo. Are you sure it was 400m from the first drop point? Im asking because i was told they can only go up to 200- 250 meters from drop point to install point :) That was someone who is actually working on the lines :)
    A poster here (sorry i have forgotten name :( ) said they thought it was up to 150 metres. :)
    So many different figures. Trying to figure out whats technically possible. As i am in an amber area i have prepared myself for a few more years wait!!

it was close to 400 meters away, a completely wrong installation, I was assigned the wrong dp originally, while the connection was perfect while working, as soon as the wind got going the fibre got tangled in the branches and connection was dead. An OpenEir enginner came along to fix it who was much higerer up in the rankings was disgusted by the installation and immediately connected me to the right dp, located only 35 meters from my front door and it has since held thought several severe weather events with winds up to 110km/p/h and no problems.

If there was no trees and branches in the way, i'm sure the 400 meter line would still be working today, fibre can work a long distance once there is no trees and if there are trees, there should be an extra layer of protection around the tree area to prevent damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

little difference in the normal course of events ... would change with multiple 8K videos streaming or such.
    Upload speed is better on 300 - that can be helpful to some.

upload on the 300 package is significantly faster, 50 megs compared to 30. Makes a big difference if you are sending video files or large work files regularly.

• Advertisement

another thing I've noticed with my FTTH recently is pings are slightly higer and overheads reduced compared to what they used to be. Up to about 2 months ago my speedtests always gave 1-2ms pings and download speeds no higher than 286 and uploads no higher than 48, recently pings are about 3ms but download/upload closer to the 300/50 target.

8268278726.png

8256827068.png

Gonzo wrote: »
    another thing I've noticed with my FTTH recently is pings are slightly higer and overheads reduced compared to what they used to be. Up to about 2 months ago my speedtests always gave 1-2ms pings and download speeds no higher than 286 and uploads no higher than 48, recently pings are about 3ms but download/upload closer to the 300/50 target.

They have changed the routing a while back. Another hop or two got added in to my routes to Dublin so I guess it is the same for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Build numbers currently is just sub 305k as of last week passed. That is unique premises passed and includes the urban ones from before the 300k.

So we're at what ? 260k-270k passed ?

Also in regards to the routing, OpenEIR had massive problems in City West a few months back and I believe the shifted some traffic around, that resulted in higher latency in some cases.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Build numbers currently is just sub 305k as of last week passed. That is unique premises passed and includes the urban ones from before the 300k.

So we're at what ? 260k-270k passed ?

Also in regards to the routing, OpenEIR had massive problems in City West a few months back and I believe the shifted some traffic around, that resulted in higher latency in some cases.

/M

There were about 35000 urban passed before rural began so 35000 + 330000 = 365000 is the figure needed by the end of June if we assume they haven't added any urban premises in that timeframe which is unlikely.

There were about 35000 urban passed before rural began so 35000 + 330000 = 365000 is the figure needed by the end of June if we assume they haven't added any urban premises in that timeframe which is unlikely.

Everything they have added, even urban, is under the 300k. Apart from those initial 35k. They haven't touched much of the urban stuff yet, as it is going to be 10G based, so not completely cooked yet.

The the premises passed under the 300k is 270k atm then.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I found the reason for the LOS light and it is a number of poles damaged just outside borrisoleigh. Whether or not this will be fixed Monday is hard to say. These were severely bent poles that should've been replaced in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Hi Gonzo. Are you sure it was 400m from the first drop point? Im asking because i was told they can only go up to 200- 250 meters from drop point to install point :) That was someone who is actually working on the lines :)
    A poster here (sorry i have forgotten name :( ) said they thought it was up to 150 metres. :)
    So many different figures. Trying to figure out whats technically possible. As i am in an amber area i have prepared myself for a few more years wait!!

It can go a max 500m cause that's all our cable length is the rule is 5 poles and a drop with permission it can be extended to 7 poles someone in openeir has to approve of stretching out to seven.
    Each pole is on average 50m apart at most 60m

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

Thanks babi-hrse That info is much appreciated :) Im within both those distances.

Again nobody from KN/Eircom out to fix my broadband. The lines are still down nearby and the fault is still Mark as logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Any chance of a picture? I suspect it could well be to house the OLT. The VDSL cab was installed several months ago if I recall correctly.

here is a pic of the cabinets I took yesterday in our area . I presume the one over to the right is the new one and possibly housing the OLT's ? - and it looks like they have freshly cemented around it.

480758.jpg

• Advertisement

here is a pic of the cabinets I took yesterday in our area . I presume the one over to the right is the new one and possibly housing the OLT's ? - and it looks like they have freshly cemented around it.

464196.jpg

You posted this in October 2018.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108403579&postcount=4479

It looks like they've replace the large white cabinet with a smaller version. I'm not sure now to be honest if it would be housing an OLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The old unit appears to be labelled 1000 E10. Thats the old voice platform that still runs PSTN for half the country.

To replace that they had to install something comparable (if a lot smaller) for voice services so at a minimum it houses an MSAN which may also have PON LTs. You'd have to get a gander inside to know.

ED E wrote: »
    The old unit appears to be labelled 1000 E10. Thats the old voice platform that still runs PSTN for half the country.

To replace that they had to install something comparable (if a lot smaller) for voice services so at a minimum it houses an MSAN which may also have PON LTs.

That area is down to go live in June anyhow. So sounds plausable.

/M

464196.jpg

You posted this in October 2018.

It looks like they've replace the large white cabinet with a smaller version. I'm not sure now to be honest if it would be housing an OLT.

good spot Dominique Loud Waistband , I didnt even realise that , ah right so thats what they have done then removed one cabinet and put in another one then i see...

Marlow wrote: »
    That area is down to go live in June anyhow. So sounds plausable.

/M

wow if this true then that its down to go live in June this is fantastic news - its my birthday in June too so it will feel like all my birthdays and christmasses have come at once :)

Pole replaced days ago yet they aren’t bothered splicing the fibre. Idiots clearing ragweed knocked the pole.

Bloody hell! - I had to take a screenshot of this , I just dont know why I didnt notice this last week. I thought I was checking every tuesday but I must of not checked it last Tuesday but its gone from a never ending 'Available Soon' for goodness knows how long to 'available 12th June 2019' ! :)

me gabber has been flabber'ed ...

480835.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Bunch of Whiteknight vans out where I am working daily, and Eir vans too. Getting close :)

peddlelies wrote: »
    Bunch of Whiteknight vans out where I am working daily, and Eir vans too. Getting close :)

I saw vans with Westel Utilities written on the sides of the vans in our area yesterday, but before it was Defusion utilities that were sorting out the fibre on the poles - openeir must outsource a lot of its work to different utility companies maybe to do different parts of the work?

• Advertisement

Bloody hell! - I had to take a screenshot of this , I just dont know why I didnt notice this last week. I thought I was checking every tuesday but I must of not checked it last Tuesday but its gone from a never ending 'Available Soon' for goodness knows how long to 'available 12th June 2019' ! :)

me gabber has been flabber'ed ...

even now if I put in my eircode with eir at https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ its not been updated and still says 'fibre not available at this address' ... I suppose this is technically true if its available from the 12th June but you would still think they would update their page to say it will be available on the 12th June though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement