Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Altreab2 wrote: »
    How many houses can be connected to a drop point? How close to the customers does the drop point have to be?

Generally 4 or 8 depending on how open eir have planned it. I think about 150m is the usual limit but there may be exceptions to this. Basically either you have been included by open eir or you have missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

Generally 4 or 8 depending on how open eir have planned it. I think about 150m is the usual limit but there may be exceptions to this. Basically either you have been included by open eir or you have missed out.

I will have to check how many are on that drop point so :) I was talking to Eir cable guy checking the wiring and he said its 200-250 metres. Im about 230 away :) Im not on the openeir plan for this roll out so trying not to raise my hopes here!!!
    He too confirmed after that im close to the technical limit but should contact my supplier as soon as the sales people started coming around :)
    Does anyone know how high above roadways the cables have to be? Once or twice lorries have pulled the one to the house and damaged them :( But they were a lot lower than usual as weather at time was very very hot and they were lower than normal? Is this a problem with Fiber lines?

I will have to check how many are on that drop point so :) I was talking to Eir cable guy checking the wiring and he said its 200-250 metres. Im about 230 away :) Im not on the openeir plan for this roll out so trying not to raise my hopes here!!!
    He too confirmed after that im close to the technical limit but should contact my supplier as soon as the sales people started coming around :)
    Does anyone know how high above roadways the cables have to be? Once or twice lorries have pulled the one to the house and damaged them :( But they were a lot lower than usual as weather at time was very very hot and they were lower than normal? Is this a problem with Fiber lines?

If you're not on the APQ file released by open eir to the ISPs you're not going to be connected. At that distance I'd be surprised if you were on it to be honest.

I haven't heard of weather affecting the cable tension.

If you're not on the APQ file released by open eir to the ISPs you're not going to be connected. At that distance I'd be surprised if you were on it to be honest.

I haven't heard of weather affecting the cable tension.

Thanks Navi. Im not on the list. Amber so waiting for the NBP .... so about the time i start my pension years at the rate its going :eek:
    Like i said trying not to get hopes up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

That is Eirs problem.If the pole is not high enough then it is deemed a hazard.
    Most road crossings are served by a 8.5 Metre pole which has to be at a minimum of 1.1 Metre in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Once or twice lorries have pulled the one to the house and damaged them :( But they were a lot lower than usual as weather at time was very very hot and they were lower than normal? Is this a problem with Fiber lines?

Copper sags in hot weather, fibre doesn't.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    That is Eirs problem.If the pole is not high enough then it is deemed a hazard.
    Most road crossings are served by a 8.5 Metre pole which has to be at a minimum of 1.1 Metre in the ground.

Im the only house on the section of the road :) So not too much traffic there :) but it definitely not 7.5 metres above the roadway. closer to 5 metres.

The Cush wrote: »
    Copper sags in hot weather, fibre doesn't.

That is what i was hoping to hear. they are tightly strung on the poles alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    Good point.

The ESB would also tell your Farmers with shotguns are a problem.

That's a common enough problems. Farmers love taking pot shots at the donuts that are ESB telecoms DP boxes on the high voltage lines.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kd82

Got up and running last night. I kept expecting another problem to arise but couldn't believe it when it was finally live. Engineer was sound and helpful throughout and did a great job. It's night and day now for work, calls, video conferencing etc. So happy. Anyone looking for a poynting antenna? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

No sign of eircom or KN today to fix the issue despite assurances from tech support yesterday that they aren’t that busy and it wouldn’t take the maximum 3 working days.

I’m going to assume that it’ll be Monday at the earliest before they come out. I just realised too that Vodafone 3G/4G is a very good network in my house after 12am and the reason I get a paltry 1mb in the day is they’ve oversubscribed their network like Three Ireland. In comparison on the same mast (knocknaharney), I just tested a prepaid eMobile sim and it is full bar 4G and useable all day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea wrote: »
    Got my latest bill and charged €15.64 for going over the FUP which they told me I no longer had, bloody ripping :mad:

Anyone who wants to know, I called up about this finally. I was told that they dont know what happened but to get rid of the FUP they are going to put me on 300mbps but in 24 hours time I have to ring back and ask them to swap to the 150mbps one. Seemingly the 150 has the FUP and the 300 one doesnt, so moving up and down will get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Pangea wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to know, I called up about this finally. I was told that they dont know what happened but to get rid of the FUP they are going to put me on 300mbps but in 24 hours time I have to ring back and ask them to swap to the 150mbps one. Seemingly the 150 has the FUP and the 300 one doesnt, so moving up and down will get rid of it.
    yea this is true but you get charge €75 a month on 300mb packages.I wish I never rang them only 2 month left on the contract then going with Airwire 30min to long to be waiting to get onto Eir customer service and the terrible music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Since there is no official way to remove the cap the reps have to find a way of doing it themselves. How it's done will depend on which rep you are talking to. For me they moved me to 300 for less than 5 minutes and then switched me back to 150. It's not that one speed has the FUP and the other does not it's just new accounts have no FUP, moving packages like this is like starting a new contract only they still keep your original date for when your contract is up. Also you should be aware that because this is Eir there is a chance they will mess up and you will have to spend time trying to contact them to get it sorted.

Thanks for that, I done a speed test there, the speeds are still at 143, but the upload has increased to 49mbps. Strange that. I wonder why I am not getting the 300 speed on the download.

Never mind getting 286mbps now :)

Eir Agent let slip it’ll be Monday if lucky before they repair the fault with my fibre. Eir Service guarantee apply to FTTH? 2 working days to fix the fault or they’ve to apply 2x months line rental

Eir Agent let slip it’ll be Monday if lucky before they repair the fault with my fibre. Eir Service guarantee apply to FTTH? 2 working days to fix the fault or they’ve to apply 2x months line rental

Isn't broadband usually max 2 weeks for fix on residential products with Eir ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Isn't broadband usually max 2 weeks for fix on residential products with Eir ?

/M

The voip is gone too and it’s heavily used. As predicted they never called today.

The voip is gone too and it’s heavily used. As predicted they never called today.

It might be worth contacting Comreg for their opinion on the maximum time of repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can pay for a higher SLA, no residential packages have it.

FTTH:
    Resolution within 2 working days: 73% Target
    Resolution within 5 working days: 92% Target
    Resolution within 10 working days: 100% Target

Your ISP will probably refund you pro rata for the days lost once restored (Say its €60/mo then you'd get €2/day).

Note if the fault goes for a work order or civils all bets are off.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have a SLA of 5 workdays from when the fault is reported and deemed to be an issue on the network side. This is for residential connections. Only if that is exceeded, refunds are considered. And yes, those are pro rated per day past the 5 workdays.

We can also redirect VoIP numbers to an alternative phone number in the meanwhile.

But most of the other operators, the guaranteed times (if any) are quite a bit longer.

We have a SLA of 5 workdays from when the fault is reported and deemed to be an issue on the network side. This is for residential connections. Only if that is exceeded, refunds are considered. And yes, those are pro rated per day past the 5 workdays.

We can also redirect VoIP numbers to an alternative phone number in the meanwhile.

But most of the other operators, the guaranteed times (if any) are quite a bit longer.

Just two months to go on the contract and I’ll be straight over to yourselfs Martin. The employees in eircom lied the other day saying there’s no major outage here. My neighbours, pub, shop etc are all without ftth since Wednesday. Apparently it’ll be next Wednesday according to the shop keeper before it’s resolved. I thought it was 8 working hours for businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only if they opt for a 4hr or 8hr. Most SMEs won't pay premium tariff to get those options.

The Eir reps may not know. OpenEir don't declare clusters of faults as outages. Sounds like something like a knocked pole anyways. Who you're with won't have any impact on the repair times.

ED E wrote: »
    Only if they opt for a 4hr or 8hr. Most SMEs won't pay premium tariff to get those options.

The Eir reps may not know. OpenEir don't declare clusters of faults as outages. Sounds like something like a knocked pole anyways. Who you're with won't have any impact on the repair times.

It is eyewatering, that those options aren't sold more. I had a 2m/512kbit ADSL connection with a /29 of public IPs and 4hr repair service in Denmark .. in 2000 !!! It only cost a few bob extra. Of the incumbent, none the less.

SIRO don't offer premium service on residential packages (yet), but on their business products you can get that. It means 1hr response for fault localisation commencing, fix 95% within 8 working hours and 100% within 16 working hours. It whacks 6% on top of the price, but is worth it.

I'd love to see that from OpenEIR, but I'm not sure if their structures allow that on NGA type products.

And yes .. the repair timeframe for larger faults like this is the same. But at least some providers give you an honest answer and some workarounds to at least keep some stuff ticking over (like inbound phone calls).

/M

It was one of the complaints eir had with the NBP. The DCCAE wanted to enforce a stricter SLA for the new network and eir weren't having it.

It was one of the complaints eir had with the NBP. The DCCAE wanted to enforce a stricter SLA for the new network and eir weren't having it.

I can see why. They're often flying by the seats of their underpants. Alone the issue of getting them to sort a pole about to fall over or a cable hanging to the ground. If it's not a liability issue or a hazzard, they're happy just to ignore it. No proactive network maintainence.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my FTTH line broke over a year ago, had no internet for about a week and had to rely on mobile broadband. My FTTH was originally installed from the wrong DP, 400 meters away, despite the fact that there was a dp beside my front gate. The line of fibre got tangled in trees from a windy night. An engineer came out and saw that it was broken and installed from the wrong dp, then reinstalled the whole thing from the correct dp and I haven't had an issue since.

Gonzo wrote: »
    my FTTH line broke over a year ago, had no internet for about a week and had to rely on mobile broadband. My FTTH was originally installed from the wrong DP, 400 meters away, despite the fact that there was a dp beside my front gate. The line of fibre got tangled in trees from a windy night. An engineer came out and saw that it was broken and installed from the wrong dp, then reinstalled the whole thing from the correct dp and I haven't had an issue since.

Hi Gonzo. Are you sure it was 400m from the first drop point? Im asking because i was told they can only go up to 200- 250 meters from drop point to install point :) That was someone who is actually working on the lines :)
    A poster here (sorry i have forgotten name :( ) said they thought it was up to 150 metres. :)
    So many different figures. Trying to figure out whats technically possible. As i am in an amber area i have prepared myself for a few more years wait!!

• Advertisement

Hi Gonzo. Are you sure it was 400m from the first drop point? Im asking because i was told they can only go up to 200- 250 meters from drop point to install point :) That was someone who is actually working on the lines :)
    A poster here (sorry i have forgotten name :( ) said they thought it was up to 150 metres. :)
    So many different figures. Trying to figure out whats technically possible. As i am in an amber area i have prepared myself for a few more years wait!!

The 400m was a mistake. The original installer used the incorrect distribution point. Technically you could be 10km (DP ≤ 10km from exchange) from the distribution point and have a working connection but that is not how open eir operate. They want short drops from distribution points to premises.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement