Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    The vast majority of ethernet cables don't measure to spec, irrespective of age. I posted a link earlier in the thread to a shop that tested their stock and most cat-6 cables didn't even meet cat-5 standards.

You are taking the word of some shop whose site looks like it belongs in the 90s that also conveniently sells cable and you are then extrapolating things that cannot be verified about billions of cables worldwide. How can you possibly know that the vast majority of Ethernet cables don't meet specifications?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I don't know, but it's a crappy old laptop. How do I check?

I'll climb the attic later and check with a different cable. Wife will kill me if I don't stop troubleshooting soon.

I hope it's not the bloody cable, took me an age to pull it through the duct in the wall. :(

Was the cable pre-terminated or did you fit connectors? A crappy old laptop might not even do 100Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Was the cable pre-terminated or did you fit connectors? A crappy old laptop might not even do 100Mb.

I haven't fitted any connectors.

I haven't fitted any connectors.

It's unlikely to be the cable unless you were particularly rough with it during installation. Did you kink it or have to pull hard to get it through the duct? If so you may have damaged it.

To rule out the cable bring the laptop to the router and test with a small patch lead. If you're getting similar results there it is likely the laptop that is unable for the speed. If you want to post an image of Device Manager from the laptop it can be confirmed that it has only 100Mb Ethernet.

Start > Search for Device Manager in Windows.

tuxy wrote: »
    I guess the best way to check would be get the name of the NIC from device manager and google details about it.

A dodgy cable is the most likely cause with the symptoms you have, if it's not properly shielded that would case transfer speeds to be unstable.

Didn't a short cable come with the router?

That's not true either. I can get 1000Mb over the LAN with some cheap Cat5e strewn across power cables in an attic.

• Advertisement

That's not true either. I can get 1000Mb over the LAN with some cheap Cat5e strewn across power cables in an attic.

Power cables cause issues? There is a power cable going part way through the wall duct alongside the ethernet.

It's unlikely to be the cable unless you were particularly rough with it during installation. Did you kink it or have to pull hard to get it through the duct? If so you may have damaged it.

It was a tight squeeze as there are a few hdmi cables in there too. But it's a flat cable to make the journey easier.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Power cables cause issues?

They don't.

I just did a quick check on the Xbox again, via WiFi. Got a whopping 104mbps this time. 27mbps up.

Tried again a few minutes later and got 20mbps.

Tried a 3rd time and got 84mbps.

My wife has now gone to bed so I'll sneak into the attic and test the cables. At least I know the cable from the fibre terminal up to the router is fine as I can get 140+mbps on WiFi while I'm near the router.

Ah ffs...

Before I headed to the attic, I plugged the cable back into the Xbox for another test.

478181.jpg

Is this thing going to make its mind up or not? Checked again a few minutes later and it was 127 up, 29 down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Intermittent problems are the most annoying.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Intermittent problems are the most annoying.

Exactly. Pure Telecom of course swore blind that wired connections would get the full 150 but coming from 2-3 previously, I'd be perfectly happy with 100+ but although the Xbox has now given me 139, 123 and 136 for the last 3 tests, I have no clue if tomorrow it will be back down to 22!

Can I rule out the cable now that it has successfully delivered almost 140mbps? I haven't ventured back into the attic, my wife is sick and gone to bed early so I don't want to wake her by tramping around in the roofspace.

Exactly. Pure Telecom of course swore blind that wired connections would get the full 150 but coming from 2-3 previously, I'd be perfectly happy with 100+ but although the Xbox has now given me 139, 123 and 136 for the last 3 tests, I have no clue if tomorrow it will be back down to 22!

Can I rule out the cable now that it has successfully delivered almost 140mbps? I haven't ventured back into the attic, my wife is sick and gone to bed early so I don't want to wake her by tramping around in the roofspace.

Don't expect 150Mb exactly. They way open eir provision the network means you will never get it. About 140Mb is doing well. As I said the cable being at fault was unlikely.

Don't expect 150Mb exactly. They way open eir provision the network means you will never get it. About 140Mb is doing well. As I said the cable being at fault was unlikely.

Yeah I never did. As I say anything over 100 and I'm fairly happy.

Sitting here browsing on the phone via WiFi, and testing the Xbox through the cable every few minutes. Getting a regular 139+ most times. Just hit 141.43 as I write this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ok... first things first.

Once you move into 50 Mbit/s+ territory your hardware makes a serious difference.

Next thing is what you test against.

And so on. And yes .. some providers are oversubscribed. If you pay buttons... you get **** service. Sorry. Fact of life. There are no shortcuts.

/M

Oh.. did you know that providers have a term for customers who try to achieve top speed on speedtests ? They are called "speedtest needle junkies"

Just saying. FTTH is not uncontended. The faster a package you buy, the more obvious contention will get. The other side may not be able to keep up. Nor will technology.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Lot of talk about cat6 and shielding.
    I run cat5 utp proper copper core and providing I don't run it through a clutter of power cables. With extension leads and power sockets I get decent speeds with no CRC or forwarding errors.
    A couple of times I've had issues that with a Lan tester showed a intermittent connection on a leg eg brown pair. Buy yourself a Lan tester or even a cheap tone and probe with inbuilt Lan tester off eBay. You'll likely have use of it again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Should I allow automatic updating of fritzbox wit airwire?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

babi-hrse wrote: »

It's probably safe enough. AVM are pretty careful about their software releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Last Thursday Forestry timber truck took out two poles ,with phone and fibre lines broken,DP box also pulled from another pole just up road from my Home.Open Eir crew from Kerry arrived 10pm and cleared mess from roadway.Road paint marked for new pole positions on Friday.Wondering how long this will take to have us back online?😡

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

babi-hrse wrote: »

The router you would have got from us is a generic factory version. AVM are very conservative with their updates, so you will be safe enough.

At the end of the day, it is your own choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Passatb7 wrote: »
    Last Thursday Forestry timber truck took out two poles ,with phone and fibre lines broken,DP box also pulled from another pole just up road from my Home.Open Eir crew from Kerry arrived 10pm and cleared mess from roadway.Road paint marked for new pole positions on Friday.Wondering how long this will take to have us back online?😡

Call your ISP on Tuesday and they should have a forecast in the fault report. Those can be a little optimistic.

If its only a few homes things can be slow, I hope for your sake its a large cluster taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

My house is Located at end of yellow line with 5 ftth customers ,and about 10 landline households further down roadway without connections.I am with eir so will be a nightmare contacting them.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

a new cabinet was installed in our village today next to the plethora of other cabinets - I am hoping its to enable our FTTH in our area - fingers crossed.

a new cabinet was installed in our village today next to the plethora of other cabinets - I am hoping its to enable our FTTH in our area - fingers crossed.

FTTH comes from the exchange. They do not come from a cabinet. Unless your exchange consists of a bunch of cabinets, that's not going to make a difference.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    FTTH comes from the exchange. They do not come from a cabinet. Unless your exchange consists of a bunch of cabinets, that's not going to make a difference.

/M

thanks, yeah i think our cabinets are the exchange or sub exchange or nodes or something .... if that makes sense :)

Any chance of a picture? I suspect it could well be to house the OLT. The VDSL cab was installed several months ago if I recall correctly.

Any chance of a picture? I suspect it could well be to house the OLT. The VDSL cab was installed several months ago if I recall correctly.

Ya it was raining so didn't get a pic . Suns come out now so I might pop down there after I have a bite to eat. Can you tell just by looking at the outside of a cabinet if it's one to house the olt ?

Ya it was raining so didn't get a pic . Suns come out now so I might pop down there after I have a bite to eat. Can you tell just by looking at the outside of a cabinet if it's one to house the olt ?

No I can't tell. Don't go to any trouble getting a picture, only if you're passing. Your exchange isn't a traditional building so I suspect the OLT needs it's own cab. Perhaps planning from the council is what has caused your delay.

• Advertisement

No I can't tell. Don't go to any trouble getting a picture, only if you're passing. Your exchange isn't a traditional building so I suspect the OLT needs it's own cab. Perhaps planning from the council is what has caused your delay.

Ok , thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement