Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Do revolut mastercards work with tfl contactless now, or is there still an issue ? I recall some issue in the past.
    Anyone used an n26 contactless mastercard with it ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Do revolut mastercards work with tfl contactless...

All I can say is that my Visa Revolut card works fine with tfl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Ponster wrote: »
    All I can say is that my Visa Revolut card works fine with tfl.

My Revolut is one of the older Mastercard ones and it also worked.

I would suggest not to be 100% dependent on Revolut, have your bank issued card available as a back-up just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Staying very close to Euston - anything close by we should be looking out for?

Any restaurant/cafe recommendations within Euston/closer to the London eye etc. ?

Depends on the type of food and if you have kids (asking because of the harry potter thing, but lots of adults go on their own and love it) or not and if the kids are adventurous or are looking for a variation on something found at home... lots of if's buts and maybes in there....

Camden & Chalk Farm are only up the road from Euston or if you want to do the west end thing, it's also very close. There are loads of options from MIchelin star to rough and ready - it's frankly impossible to cover all bases

A couple of suggestions

Indian Food - 15 minute walk from Euston well worth it
    http://www.dishoom.com/kings-cross/

Little bit further, over in clerkenwell
    http://www.hammertongs.co.uk/
    South African meat feast place

London eye - lots of street food places along the south bank - most of the restaurants are chain style and not my cup of tea
    Southbank food market behind the Royal Festival Hall is worth checking out.

Personally I would grab a cab over to borough market
    http://www.arabicabarandkitchen.com/
    Great middle eastern restaurant

In the same area, one of the best tapas restaurants in London
    https://www.brindisakitchens.com/restaurant/tapas-brindisa-london-bridge/

https://www.oxotower.co.uk/
    Not been for many years, but the views alone are possibly worth it - it was expensive but the food was always a high standard - short stroll along the river from the eye

Those are in the main adult orientated, although the street food & market options around southbank are great for all ages.

If the kids are the younger end of primary school the rainforest cafe in Piccadilly is a good bet, expensive for what it is but kids seem to love it
    Planet Hollywood, sticky fingers or hard rock cafe are a similar vein for slightly older kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

endabob1 wrote: »
    Depends on the type of food and if you have kids (asking because of the harry potter thing, but lots of adults go on their own and love it) or not and if the kids are adventurous or are looking for a variation on something found at home... lots of if's buts and maybes in there....

Camden & Chalk Farm are only up the road from Euston or if you want to do the west end thing, it's also very close. There are loads of options from MIchelin star to rough and ready - it's frankly impossible to cover all bases

A couple of suggestions

Indian Food - 15 minute walk from Euston well worth it
    http://www.dishoom.com/kings-cross/

shame their trip was in february :rolleyes::pac:
    Little bit further, over in clerkenwell
    http://www.hammertongs.co.uk/
    South African meat feast place

London eye - lots of street food places along the south bank - most of the restaurants are chain style and not my cup of tea
    Southbank food market behind the Royal Festival Hall is worth checking out.

Personally I would grab a cab over to borough market
    http://www.arabicabarandkitchen.com/
    Great middle eastern restaurant

In the same area, one of the best tapas restaurants in London
    https://www.brindisakitchens.com/restaurant/tapas-brindisa-london-bridge/

https://www.oxotower.co.uk/
    Not been for many years, but the views alone are possibly worth it - it was expensive but the food was always a high standard - short stroll along the river from the eye

Those are in the main adult orientated, although the street food & market options around southbank are great for all ages.

If the kids are the younger end of primary school the rainforest cafe in Piccadilly is a good bet, expensive for what it is but kids seem to love it
    Planet Hollywood, sticky fingers or hard rock cafe are a similar vein for slightly older kids

Shame their trip was in February :rolleyes::pac:

Shame their trip was in February :rolleyes::pac:

Oops, I should visit here more often :o

Oops, I should visit here more often :o

that hammertongs place does look nice though! might have to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bobbobb

Hi so I'm heading off to london next saturday until tuesday and was wondering about oyster cards.
    It's my partner and I(both 21) and my two sisters (19,17) myself and my partner both have revolut cards which I'm not sure if they work like oyster cards, we're staying fairly close to the city, and flying in fron gatwick, is there a difference between using a revolut and an oyster card? How much would you load the oyster with? Do you have to prepurchase the cards or can you get them there?
    And if anyone has any recommendations for activities that would be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You will all have to pay adult fares, the 17 year old could have had a child 50% discount zip Oyster card but this has to be applied for 4 weeks in advance.

Revolut should work, most people have no problems with it on TfL, just make sure to have enough credit loaded on to it before use and throughout your stay.

I assume the two teens also have a contactless card of some kind, it will be easiest for them to use these, if not Oyster cards can be bought at the TfL visitor centres in Gatwick.

Do not use Gatwick Express trains, they charge much more for no benefit, thy aren't even more comfortable than the other trains any longer.

For Victoria get Southern services, just make sure it is a fast train (no more than 2 intermediate stops) For London Bridge, Blackfriars, Kings Cross get Thameslink (usually with destination of Bedford or Cambridge) and again make sure there are not lots of intermediate stops before Central London (East Croydon, London Bridge are the fast ones)

Look at the 2for1 offers for which a low value rail ticket will be needed, search this thread for previous posts with advice on that.
    https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

bobbobb wrote: »
    Hi so I'm heading off to london next saturday until tuesday and was wondering about oyster cards.
    It's my partner and I(both 21) and my two sisters (19,17) myself and my partner both have revolut cards which I'm not sure if they work like oyster cards, we're staying fairly close to the city, and flying in fron gatwick, is there a difference between using a revolut and an oyster card? How much would you load the oyster with? Do you have to prepurchase the cards or can you get them there?

If you have a Revolut, go with that, for all purchases. The only reason I'd use Oyster is because it's linked to my gold travel card so I get a discount for off-peak travel. If not for that I'd just use contactless on my usual bank card (local).

If anyone doesn't have a Revolut and need an Oyster, iirc you can just get them from the machines in most/all stations. They cost a refundable fiver (I think, it's been a long time. . .). How much you'd top it up by depends on how much travelling is planned, too difficult to say. You can top them up at the stations or via online when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Using Oyster etc from Gatwick is more complicated than it should be really.

What time are you flying in/out? Oyster / contactless has a daily maximum charge - the "cap". From Gatwick at off peak hours (working days outside 06.30 - 09.30 and 16.00 - 19.00 [latter time is only peak if travelling outbound]) it's £20.50. However, if you touch in with your card at peak hours it's £33.10. So if you arrive at say 9.15am, it may be worth hanging on a few minutes for the train! For days when you will only be in Zone 1 and 2, the cap is £7 (no peak / off peak) - and more for each extra zone.

You can reduce the cost by getting out at East Croydon, or using two cards but it's not worth the hassle in your situation TBH. You will need a minimum of £8.30 on your Oyster / Revolut to touch in at Gatwick though, even if your journey costs less!

Is your Revolut Mastercard or Visa. Plenty of people (myself included) have found the Mastercards not to work for TFL so they replaced them with Visa. Issue may have been addressed - I'm not sure.

As above, avoid the Gatwick Express unless you want to spend big! And be aware that the Thameslink route mentioned above can sometimes be operated by Southern trains which is rather confusing! Bear in mind that that platforms at Gatwick can be very crowded, even dangerous - best to move further down from the stair area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bobbobb

Using Oyster etc from Gatwick is more complicated than it should be really.

What time are you flying in/out? Oyster / contactless has a daily maximum charge - the "cap". From Gatwick at off peak hours (working days outside 06.30 - 09.30 and 16.00 - 19.00 [latter time is only peak if travelling outbound]) it's £20.50. However, if you touch in with your card at peak hours it's £33.10. So if you arrive at say 9.15am, it may be worth hanging on a few minutes for the train! For days when you will only be in Zone 1 and 2, the cap is £7 (no peak / off peak) - and more for each extra zone.

You can reduce the cost by getting out at East Croydon, or using two cards but it's not worth the hassle in your situation TBH. You will need a minimum of £8.30 on your Oyster / Revolut to touch in at Gatwick though, even if your journey costs less!

Is your Revolut Mastercard or Visa. Plenty of people (myself included) have found the Mastercards not to work for TFL so they replaced them with Visa. Issue may have been addressed - I'm not sure.

As above, avoid the Gatwick Express unless you want to spend big! And be aware that the Thameslink route mentioned above can sometimes be operated by Southern trains which is rather confusing! Bear in mind that that platforms at Gatwick can be very crowded, even dangerous - best to move further down from the stair area.

Flying out at 6:30, supposed to be arriving at about 8:10, the teenagers dont have contactless cards, everytime I look up about the oyster cards the say you have to buy them in advance?
    And on their website it says to load it with £30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Flying out at 6:30, supposed to be arriving at about 8:10, the teenagers dont have contactless cards, everytime I look up about the oyster cards the say you have to buy them in advance?
    And on their website it says to load it with £30

You don't have to buy Oyster cards in advance.

There is a concierge desk in Gatwick arrivals that sells them - unsure if the train station there does, though.

You could always get the Oysters when you arrive to central London - and just use a paper ticket from getting from the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Would running with my phone in a belt slow me down much I wonder? Both volunteering and running afterwards Sunday and wouldn't have time to drop off my phone. Other option is simply not to bring it at all. I'd like to give the run a bit of a go. Phones are heavy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Would running with my phone in a belt slow me down much I wonder? Both volunteering and running afterwards Sunday and wouldn't have time to drop off my phone. Other option is simply not to bring it at all. I'd like to give the run a bit of a go. Phones are heavy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Deise boii

My partner two kids (6, 9) and myself are heading to London we are staying close to elephant and castle tube station for three nights,

We are then staying in Legoland for 2 nights and flying out from Gatwick.

Does anyone have any tips for us we are looking at usual touristy stuff see the sights, war museum things like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Deise boii wrote: »
    My partner two kids (6, 9) and myself are heading to London we are staying close to elephant and castle tube station for three nights,

Does anyone have any tips for us we are looking at usual touristy stuff see the sights, war museum things like that.

Thanks
    The Imperial War Museum is very close to Elephant and Castle, a couple of hundred metres: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_War_Museum

Edit: of course, that could be why you're staying in Elephant! 😉

Thanks

Not especially kid friendly but there is a great food market near E&C https://www.mercatometropolitano.com/
    https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/mercato-metropolitano

I always recommend the natural history museum for kids with any interest in space or dinosaurs. Weirdly Legoland & NHM were the 2 places that my sister basically had season tickets to when my nephews were growing up.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Deise boii

Not especially kid friendly but there is a great food market near E&C https://www.mercatometropolitano.com/
    https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/mercato-metropolitano

I always recommend the natural history museum for kids with any interest in space or dinosaurs. Weirdly Legoland & NHM were the 2 places that my sister basically had season tickets to when my nephews were growing up.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/

Thanks for the replies think the OH is looking to do the hop on hop off tours any recommendations with that.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies think the OH is looking to do the hop on hop off tours any recommendations with that.

Thanks

London is so big that I think you could sit on the various bus loops for an entire day, but for me a glance at Buckingham palace is enough, I have no real interest in it... The hop on hop off will take you past the museums but you can just get the tube there, i'm sure it's a lot cheaper
    One other tour type thing that is worth looking at is the river boats, you can use your oyster card on them and you get a great view of London from a different perspective

The last of the old routemaster bus routes is being phased out sadly, but if your kids like busses then it might be worth trying to get them no it;
    https://londonist.com/london/transport/no-more-heritage-routemasters-on-weekdays

I like the London Eye as an attraction but it does get busy, the aquarium is pretty good too in the same area on the southbank, I like that part of the city, all the way along the river to Borough Market there are some nice spots to sit out and eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am familiar with E and Castle. The tube station is one of those deep down ones that takes a lot of climbing up out of. I prefer to use the very frequent bus services up to city of London... or even walk. Yes they are a bit slow in traffic but you get great viewing opportunities from upstairs and flat rate fare, are convenient and good value.

yes to boat trip on river, there are the tourist ones and also commuter ones eg down to Greenwich that take the Oyster card. Lot of interest at Greenwich, old streets, market, historic buildings and parkland... "Greenwich Mean Time". The boats can travel a loop up on one side of river and back down the other side so watch out for directions/stops. Walking about makes a lot of sense so good shoes and take rucksack for raingear etc. The big sights are close enough and nice parks as well to do shortcuts thru. Have your google map and bus finder handy.

I have not made it to War Museum yet. I am sure it is splendid but probably not of interest to children that age.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I am familiar with E and Castle. The tube station is one of those deep down ones that takes a lot of climbing up out of. I prefer to use the very frequent bus services up to city of London... or even walk. Yes they are a bit slow in traffic but you get great viewing opportunities from upstairs and flat rate fare, are convenient and good value.

yes to boat trip on river, there are the tourist ones and also commuter ones eg down to Greenwich that take the Oyster card. Lot of interest at Greenwich, old streets, market, historic buildings and parkland... "Greenwich Mean Time". The boats can travel a loop up on one side of river and back down the other side so watch out for directions/stops. Walking about makes a lot of sense so good shoes and take rucksack for raingear etc. The big sights are close enough and nice parks as well to do shortcuts thru. Have your google map and bus finder handy.

I have not made it to War Museum yet. I am sure it is splendid but probably not of interest to children that age.

Big +1 to Greenwich, lovely part of London

that hammertongs place does look nice though! might have to try it!

went yesterday. Ate a lot, drank a lot. I had never ordered sausage by the metre, works for me!!!. All told everything we ate (meat really!) was very tasty, but i think they should work on their room. Nothing wrong with it, but it's just a bit bland, and they could make it more appealing and original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

So we are flying out of Gatwick to the DR on a Thursday morning, instead of risking flights early morning we are flying over the Wednesday night and going to book a room so we can freshen up before flying etc.

Can anyone recommend any hotels in Gatwick Airport? We were thinking of the Bloc Hotel which is located in the terminal itself, but not sure if you are paying a premium to stay in the terminal, we were also recommended the Premier Inn North Terminal too?

If anyone has done something similar it would be great to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There’s a Sofitel (ex Hilton) attached to the North Terminal. It’s not really Sofitel standards but can often be hot cheaply enough. Can get a great parking/room deal but I suspect you don’t need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Stayed in the Premier inn before, absolutely fine. It's rights beside the airport terminal shuttle so you're across to the south terminal in 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The yotel in the south terminal looks like it would do the job?

Caranica wrote: »
    The yotel in the south terminal looks like it would do the job?

I’ve never stayed in it but i’ve Seen the rooms. Anything more than single occupancy would be grim - toilet is visible from all parts of room. Handy for 4-6 hours; anymore i’d Want separate rooms/cabins.

If you're prepared to travel a short distance, consider the Premier Inn in Croydon Town Centre. This is literally 3 minutes walk from East Croydon train station which has very frequent (every few minutes) connections to Gatwick, taking about 15 minutes. The hotel itself can often be got very cheap - I use it regularly.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

@Padraig - Thanks for that, because we are only there from 8PM until the next morning theres no real point in us leaving the airport, I reckon well just go for PI in North Terminal, coming in about 70 pound which is a lot cheaper than the likes of Bloc etc.

• Advertisement

I've stayed in the Premier at LGW North - it was absolutely fine for the 5 hours or so we were there. It's also *massive*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Stayed in the Premier Inn in March and it's bang on for early flighits. There is a 24 hr bar, the Nicholas Culpeper, on the 1st floor of the North Terminal too if you want a few drinks before bed. Or you can get the transit to South Terminal for Wetherspoons if you want cheaper/better drinks (closes at 11 though).

irish_goat wrote: »
    Stayed in the Premier Inn in March and it's bang on for early flighits. There is a 24 hr bar, the Nicholas Culpeper, on the 1st floor of the North Terminal too if you want a few drinks before bed. Or you can get the transit to South Terminal for Wetherspoons if you want cheaper/better drinks (closes at 11 though).

Booked Premier Inn for 80 quid for a night, cant go wrong with that really, cheapest through their own site too. Thanks for the tip on the bar too, a nightcap is never a bad idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Can anyone recommend somewhere to park and ride overnight outside London, coming from M4? Maybe somewhere around Heathrow? Heading in to Kensington area.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to park and ride overnight outside London, coming from M4? Maybe somewhere around Heathrow? Heading in to Kensington area.

Not sure about park & Ride but I would try some of the hotels around Heathrow

If it's just one night you could look around some of the tube stations Hatton Cross or even Uxbridge
    https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/
    is a useful site

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Hi guys. Searched a bit but found mostly really old trends on the subject. Am looking to travel to London from 21st-23rd Oct with my boyfriend. Been searching online but there are so many options and mixed reviews. It's so hard! Neither of us have ever been before. Looking to do all the usual tourist stuff. Flying into Gatwick or Stansted I think. We were looking at the Ibis Budget Hotel Wembley. Really good price. Would that be a good area?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions of comfortable, clean, budget hotels that are well connected to public transport? Don't mind being a bit out of the centre. Budget is around 150euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Hi guys. Searched a bit but found mostly really old trends on the subject. Am looking to travel to London from 21st-23rd Oct with my boyfriend. Been searching online but there are so many options and mixed reviews. It's so hard! Neither of us have ever been before. Looking to do all the usual tourist stuff. Flying into Gatwick or Stansted I think. We were looking at the Ibis Budget Hotel Wembley. Really good price. Would that be a good area?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions of comfortable, clean, budget hotels that are well connected to public transport? Don't mind being a bit out of the centre. Budget is around 150euro.
    Would you consider an Airbnb? I travel a lot and use them almost all the time. Although not as flexible as hotels, and occasionally variable in quality, they are so much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Personally wouldnt want to stay in Wembley ,live there for years, any other places you looked at? how are you getting abouts?

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Would you consider an Airbnb? I travel a lot and use them almost all the time. Although not as flexible as hotels, and occasionally variable in quality, they are so much cheaper.

I haven't ever used Airbnb but I think i would. I'll have a proper look into that.
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Personally wanted want to stay in Wembley ,live there for years, any other places you looked at? how are you getting abouts?

That's good to know. Planning to most of our transport by tube or bus so just looking for anywhere well connected and not too far. We've seen places pop up in Hounslow, Croydon, and Ilford but they all look quite far away when I check on Google maps? I genuinely know next to nothing about the various areas so any help is so appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If your just staying in the hotel in wembley then jumping on public transport and heading into city should be fine, anywhere in Harrow? if your going to oxford st shopping and want to get to local places flag down a taxi and ask how much, i was outside parliament sq and got a black taxi to oxford st £8 four of us last summer saves the walking and getting buses then got another one to take us back across the bridge to get our car,this is how we got about its all in a small area,so its handy.

I'd go with my usual reliable, Premier Inn Croydon Town Centre. Coming in well under your budget for those dates. It seems a bit out but the transport connections work great. 15 minutes from Gatwick by train, and then 3 minutes walk to the hotel. Very frequent trains from East Croydon to Victoria or London Bridge 15 minutes a piece. And no ****ing about if your return flight is in the first half of the day - check out, hop on the train and you're in Gatwick in jig time.

The Ibis in Wembley is pretty much in Wembley Park which is currently a massive building site. There is a small shopping centre there (The LDO) and it's a well connected spot. Wembley High Road is a bit on the gritty side but you wouldn't be stuck for anything there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Premier Inn Croydon Town Centre
    I shall note that for future use. Thanks very much.

I haven't ever used Airbnb but I think i would. I'll have a proper look into that.

That's good to know. Planning to most of our transport by tube or bus so just looking for anywhere well connected and not too far. We've seen places pop up in Hounslow, Croydon, and Ilford but they all look quite far away when I check on Google maps? I genuinely know next to nothing about the various areas so any help is so appreciated.

I wouldn't stay in any of those spots if I was only coming for a weekend
    Wembley is just about ok as it is right on the met line so quick enough (half hour) into town but even so you don't want to spend half the weekend on the underground. That said, there is a premier inn right by wembley park station and a great turkish kebab place a few doors down

It also depends on where you are flying into really, if you are coming into gatwick then look at somewhere on the train line back to gatwick croydon inwards towards the city, I don't really know that part of london that well

Personally I would look around kings cross, there's the usual array of budget hotels there, premier inn, travelodge etc..
    Also the train to Luton airport goes from there...

Likewise, if coming to stansted look around liverpool street, shoreditch, spitalfields
    Basically you want to spend the least amount of time travelling and the most amount seeing stuff, so getting a hotel that is on route to and from the airport is a big plus in my view.

London is very expensive hotelwise though so as suggested elsewhere do look at air bnb's too.
    I haven't used it here but have used them loads in Europe and elsewhere in the UK and generally found them to be excellent

Sorry just seen the budget, I suspect staying in the city centre might be too pricey, Croydon option is probably the wisest if you don't mind the travel in and out while you aer here :-)

Found a lovely looking Airbnb in Southwark in the end so we went with that. Seems handy enough transport wise its 5 mins from Elephant and Castle station. Clocked in at 98euro for two nights. Thanks for all the tips guys!

• Advertisement

Found a lovely looking Airbnb in Southwark in the end so we went with that. Seems handy enough transport wise its 5 mins from Elephant and Castle station. Clocked in at 98euro for two nights. Thanks for all the tips guys!

That seems very cheap so I would assume Walworth Road side of The Elephant. Keep your eyes open, better to get a cab back direct to apartment late at night, ie not tube or bus and don’t walk on street after 11pm. (And before anyone bitches, I lived around there - the nicer end - for 12 years).

Marcusm wrote: »
    That seems very cheap so I would assume Walworth Road side of The Elephant. Keep your eyes open, better to get a cab back direct to apartment late at night, ie not tube or bus and don’t walk on street after 11pm. (And before anyone bitches, I lived around there - the nicer end - for 12 years).

Thanks for the advice. I think it is around there. Much appreciated.

Great spot near E&C station for hipster style food and drinks

https://www.mercatometropolitano.com/

My Mrs used to work down that way, a few happy days and evenings spent there

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Just recently booked an overnight trip to London for me and my daughter for a long promised trip to the Harry Potter show in the west end. Didn’t want her to miss school or me too much work so booked the Friday of the midterm school holiday Nov 1. Tickets and flights booked and paid for.

Just realised that this could be very well be Brexit day 1... Gah! Have I just signed up for a travel nightmare or will it all just be business as usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

sapper wrote: »
    Just recently booked an overnight trip to London for me and my daughter for a long promised trip to the Harry Potter show in the west end. Didn’t want her to miss school or me too much work so booked the Friday of the midterm school holiday Nov 1. Tickets and flights booked and paid for.

Just realised that this could be very well be Brexit day 1... Gah! Have I just signed up for a travel nightmare or will it all just be business as usual?

Business as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement