Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hey guys,

I'm going to London next week for a few days..we will be flying into Gatwick and our hotel is near St. Pancras Kings Cross area.

It appears that the most efficient/cheapest mode of transport is to use the Thameslink train service.

Ideally I would like to pre-purchase these tickets online and pay through Euro...does anyone know if I can do this? When I go into the Thamslink website they only appear to give an option to buy via sterling prices...

Any information on this would be much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm going to London next week for a few days..we will be flying into Gatwick and our hotel is near St. Pancras Kings Cross area.

It appears that the most efficient/cheapest mode of transport is to use the Thameslink train service.

Ideally I would like to pre-purchase these tickets online and pay through Euro...does anyone know if I can do this? When I go into the Thamslink website they only appear to give an option to buy via sterling prices...

Any information on this would be much obliged.

I don't know if it's possible.
    However, why do you want to?
    The euro price would most likely include a poor exchange rate if there was one so you'd end up paying a similar resultant price in euro.
    It might be possible using a ticket reseller such as redspottedhanky or raileurope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

What he said. Use the direct website as anywhere else will charge you a fee.

http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Thinking about being in london to celebrate the new year. Are there any concerts happening in or around the new year?

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm looking at some cheap ryanair flights to London Gatwick. Then I need to get into London - but the Gatwick express is surprisingly expensive! Nearly €80 return for two.

Does anyone know if there is a normal train I can get? I'm not in a major rush.

Thanks
    Have a look at London City Airport, easy access straight onto the DLR and hence the underground. Little bit more expensive but great to go through, no need for an extra hour for security, bring a checked bag and all.

kala85 wrote: »
    Thinking about being in london to celebrate the new year. Are there any concerts happening in or around the new year?

Not a concert per se, but this is ticketed for the first time this year

http://www.seetickets.com/content/london-nye-fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

thinking about going to london to celebrate the new year. Do you have any recommendations for the new year or information about any concerts that might be taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Anyone ever used Southend On Sea as a base for doing touristy stuff in central London? The train times & journey length seem fairly doable, but are there any hidden pitfalls I should be looking out for?

I have to stay one night in Southend, as I'll be attending a funeral in the area. Then the next 1-2 days is touristy stuff in London. Can't decide if I should stay in Southend (I got a great deal on 3 nights and free parking) or find something in central London. The prices are a lot higher, but being closer to the action would be great.

Also, I'll have one free morning and afternoon in the Southend area, before I have to head to Standsted for my flight home. I'll have a car with me. Is there anything worthwhile seeing/doing between Standsted and Southend...something Christmassy, such as an Xmas market, or stately home/castle, all dolled up for the holliers, would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Im heading over at the weekend and was looking at doing a lot of the touristy things which are on the 2for1 rail ticket discounts.

Im confused as to what counts as a valid ticket, does a train to gatwick with southernrailway count for this offer? Even if i buy it now and collect it from a vending machine or do I have to get it from a person?

329753.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

encryptix wrote: »
    Im heading over at the weekend and was looking at doing a lot of the touristy things which are on the 2for1 rail ticket discounts.

Im confused as to what counts as a valid ticket, does a train to gatwick with southernrailway count for this offer? Even if i buy it now and collect it from a vending machine or do I have to get it from a person?

329753.png

All standard national rail tickets are valid for the 2for1 offer. Tickets issued in person and those collected or posted from internet sales on all websites are all issued in the same format. a few odd non-standard types including certain Airline issued promotional tickets and Irish issued sail-rail tickets are not valid.

Basically if it has the National Rail logo on it and is valid for the date it is fine.

One big anomaly is that Oyster is not valid, tfl issued travelcards are not valid but the same price travelcard issued from any National Rail ticket office or machine is valid. Tfl and NR issued travelcards have the exact same validity for Rail, Tube, Bus, DLR travel it is just the 2for1 offer that discriminates.

This means if you are traveling over on a Fri and returning Sun a monthly return ticket Gatwick-London would be valid for the offer on the Fri, Sat, Sun but 2 singles would only be valid on the Fri and Sun they are issued for. In this case the best option for the Sat would be a National Rail issued travelcard not oyster.

In the case of the ticket you linked above, if you are going to and from Gatwick 2 anytime (monthly) returns at £19 each would be cheaper and give you access to the 2for1 attractions for the duration of you trip, just make sure to keep both parts of the return ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Vic_08 wrote: »
    All standard national rail tickets are valid for the 2for1 offer. Tickets issued in person and those collected or posted from internet sales on all websites are all issued in the same format. a few odd non-standard types including certain Airline issued promotional tickets and Irish issued sail-rail tickets are not valid.

Basically if it has the National Rail logo on it and is valid for the date it is fine.

One big anomaly is that Oyster is not valid, tfl issued travelcards are not valid but the same price travelcard issued from any National Rail ticket office or machine is valid. Tfl and NR issued travelcards have the exact same validity for Rail, Tube, Bus, DLR travel it is just the 2for1 offer that discriminates.

This means if you are traveling over on a Fri and returning Sun a monthly return ticket Gatwick-London would be valid for the offer on the Fri, Sat, Sun but 2 singles would only be valid on the Fri and Sun they are issued for. In this case the best option for the Sat would be a National Rail issued travelcard not oyster.

In the case of the ticket you linked above, if you are going to and from Gatwick 2 anytime (monthly) returns at £19 each would be cheaper and give you access to the 2for1 attractions for the duration of you trip, just make sure to keep both parts of the return ticket.

Thanks for the info, im actually flying in to a different airport and coming home from gatwick. I was hoping that ticket linked would allow me to do a few of the 2for1 attractions on the monday before I leave. I planned on using an oystercard for all other travel

If you're stuck, buy a cheap train ticket (eg, Cricklewood to St Pancras is about £3/4) and then collect it from your nearest station rather than Cricklewood and then use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Hi all.
    Love this thread for the great help you're all willing to give!
    I'm flying into Gatwick tmrw morning bright and early!
    Have already bought a return ticket to Reading for approx £28. Direct. For future reference are there any cheaper options available to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Thanks Fred!
    The whole rail system around London causes me rife confusion tbh!
    At least I know I'm not doing too bad with the fare I've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hi guys,

Going to London next Weds until Sat.

We are flying into Gatwick and our Hotel is near Paddington station (we originally had a hotel booked near St. Pancras, but changed our minds).

What's the most efficient way to get to Paddington Station from Gatwick?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Or train to StPancras and then tube (haven't got a map to hand but should be circle/district) to Paddington. It means you should spend less time on the tube and more on the relatively comfortable train.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

zagmund wrote: »
    Or train to StPancras and then tube (haven't got a map to hand but should be circle/district) to Paddington. It means you should spend less time on the tube and more on the relatively comfortable train.

z

Circle/Hammersmith and City. wouldn't be a huge difference in time on the Underground by either route tbh.

If going that way it would be better to transfer at Farringdon, shorter walk and less busy.

Also worth noting is that there are 2 different Underground stations at Paddington, the southern Circle along with Bakerloo and District lines are at the front of the mainline station with access on Praed Street as well as the main station concourse whereas the Hammersmith + City/northern Circle station is at the rear of the main station with street access to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Just a heads up for anyone in London on Monday, there's strike action planned for the Northern Line of the Tube, might well impact on other lines.

London Underground employees belonging to the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) are expected to participate in strike action on 1 December.

The industrial action will affect the Northern Line. The London Underground has stated that it will attempt to continue services, but some disruptions are nevertheless likely.

It is currently unclear what time the walk out will commence or how long it is expected to last.

The latest RMT-led industrial action against London Underground comes in response to a dispute over the dismissal of a union member.

Attempts to divert the strike by the Acas conciliation service failed to deliver a resolution. Significant disruptions to London Underground services should be anticipated on the affected day.

Precedent suggests that additional alternative transport services will be implemented as a contingency measure by Transport for London.

Clients planning travel in London on 1 December are advised to monitor local media for developments and information on the upcoming strike. Please visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ for further information regarding the industrial action and alternative forms of transport.

We will continue to monitor this situation and advise you of any further updates received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Hi guys,

We are flying into Gatwick and our Hotel is near Paddington station (we originally had a hotel booked near St. Pancras, but changed our minds).

Thanks

Train to Victoria, then Victoria Line tube to Oxford Circus where you change to the Bakerloo Line.

At Oxford Circus, the Victoria and Bakerloo lines are next to each other so you don't have to go up any stairs etc. - you just cross over. Much quicker and easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hi guys,

Thanks

^^^ Fred's is the most hassle free option in my humble opinion.
    Straight forward with no need to change tubes. Seven stops. Takes about 15 minutes. Less of a walk from train to tube at Victoria than St Pancras. And the Circle Line is nearer to the surface than any other so cuts out a lot of hassle lugging yourself and your bags up and down escalators.

circle-line.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Although the Circle line service has improved in regularity since the circle was broken a few years ago, the line is still shared with (for this journey) 2 branches of the District Line. As a result, Circle Line trains run around 6-8 times an hour at best, i.e. approx 10 minute gap between services. That can lead to frustrating waits (even when not in a rush).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yunyunde

love london

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

So I have booked a flight in to Stansted to arrive at 8.10 on Saturday morning of the 20th of Dec.
    We are staying at Park International Hotel in Kensington.
    We are to fly home on the Monday at 16.35.
    Should I book train / tube tickets in advance?
    What would be the best way/route for us to get from the Airport to the Hotel and vice versa excluding using taxis?
    Would we need to leave much time for the return journey?
    Would an Oyster card be handy for us for the 2 day trip?
    Thanks for any advice in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

maximo31 wrote: »
    So I have booked a flight in to Stansted to arrive at 8.10 on Saturday morning of the 20th of Dec.
    We are staying at Park International Hotel in Kensington.
    We are to fly home on the Monday at 16.35.
    Should I book train / tube tickets in advance?
    What would be the best way/route for us to get from the Airport to the Hotel and vice versa excluding using taxis?
    Train to Liverpool Street, then Circle Line to Gloucester Road tube, then about 7-8 minutes walk. (The TfL site suggests changing at Tottenham Hale, but that would involve an extra train, though quicker).
    Would we need to leave much time for the return journey?
    I've always found the tubes and Stansted Express train to be reliable, but you never know.
    Would an Oyster card be handy for us for the 2 day trip?
    Yes, though depends what you're doing. You can hang onto it or give it to someone else for another trip even if you don't end up using it.
    Thanks for any advice in advance!
    Some answers in bold above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would leave plenty of time to get to the airport at that time - all routes to the airports are extremely busy in the days running up to Christmas. Shouldn't be too many problems unless we get weather like last year though.

Advertisement