Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Transport costs in London is not as cheap as it used to be. The cheapest option would be to purchase an oyster card, see more here
    You can download an app for the underground on your phone, it will make things a bit more simpler when you are here.

Budget hotels such as the Comfort Inn, Travel Lodge and easy Hotels offer good deals alternatively try here

Like anywhere there are dodgy areas, so keep your wits about you! however, you would be safe enough walking around central London. Enjoy your trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And don't forget to stand on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

...To allow climbers on the left. I love how everyone just falls into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Once you are near a tube station you should be okay. It's very easy to get around central London and the trains are very frequent.

Hotels seem to be pricey so maybe take a look at guest houses which might work out cheaper.

Also if you are travelling to and from Stansted and want to save opt for the coach instead of the train. Works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Two different colleagues stayed in this place and found it decent:

http://www.princesshotel.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

And remember dogs must be carried.

z

. . . Paddington film reference for those who are wondering. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Tune Hotels who have 5 hotels around central London, prices starting at £60 a night for a double room (price is per room, not per person) in March in their Paddington and King's Cross branches. I stayed in the one in Liverpool St. in 2012 with a mate in a twin room for a night, cost us £25 each and was very comfortable and clean. They don't really give you anything bar a room with a bed and a bathroom but you can buy a pack with 24 hour Wifi and TV, towels/toiletries/hair dryer and safe for £10. I just got the towel and toiletries for £1.50 as that was all I needed. Perfect if you just want a clean, comfortable, cheap and very central place to stay while in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has some info/help regarding affordable hotel room near the west end for the beginning of February for a week.
    I am flying into Gatwick then onto Victoria Station so I'm open to staying anywhere between Victoria & Covent Garden tube station. I have been searching some site but they are pretty pricey around the 650-800 euro mark when converted!
    Also I want to see a couple of shows so what is the best option regarding buying tickets.
    Any info much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

pebbletroy wrote: »
    hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has some info/help regarding affordable hotel room near the west end for the beginning of February for a week.
    I am flying into Gatwick then onto Victoria Station so I'm open to staying anywhere between Victoria & Covent Garden tube station. I have been searching some site but they are pretty pricey around the 650-800 euro mark when converted!
    Also I want to see a couple of shows so what is the best option regarding buying tickets.

If you are not particular about which shows you want, then go to the half price ticket booth at Leicester Square where you can purchase any available tickets for shows that day at a substantial discount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

pebbletroy wrote: »
    hi,

Look at my post above yours, they are all very close to west end, a couple of tube stops at most with the exception of canary wharf which would be about 6 or 7 but still within 20mins or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the premier inns... they are super, stayed in one at wembley stadium in september , its on two tube lines, metropolital and central, and the tube station is a two minute walk from the hotel....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Remember me

I am hoping to go to Legoland from Ireland this Summer so any tips for me would be great. My boys are 6 and 1.
    What airport is the best to fly into location wise?
    Also, on their site there is offers of free places etc but (now this is probably just me!!) but I cant seem to find these offers as they are for certain dates but cant see what dates they refer to!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I am hoping to go to Legoland from Ireland this Summer so any tips for me would be great. My boys are 6 and 1.
    What airport is the best to fly into location wise?
    Also, on their site there is offers of free places etc but (now this is probably just me!!) but I cant seem to find these offers as they are for certain dates but cant see what dates they refer to!

Thanks!

its a fantastic experience,

your 1 year old will not get on all the rides due to height restrictions so bring your partner

if you can go outside english school holidays, if you go during english school holidays then buy the little add on (cant remember name) to skip the que's, its well worth the money
    also get to car park early as its crazy exiting or else hang back for half hour after closing
    bring a packed lunch

if you go off peak stay in the hotel

heathrow is closest airport

we flew into bristol but were staying that side of reading so it suited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Excellent holiday.

Wife and I took our 6 year old a couple of years ago. He and I are huge Lego fans.
    If you can, stay in the hotel itself, everything about it, the rooms, the carpets, reception just adds to the whole excitement and fun.

The restaurant and bar in the hotel are fantastic, great play area in there as well.
    You also get to enter the park either 30 or 60 mins before gen pop and from the other side of the park from the public entrance.

Plenty to see and do, great for young kids.

There is a workshop there you can see how they make the models but you need to book in advance.

Take 1/2 day to visit Windsor Castle, brilliant time we had there and the town itself is beautiful.

We flew DUB-LHR taxi was reasonable and quick.

Enjoy
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Remember me

Thanks guys!
    Rory, how did you find park prices? I see online they are ding deals but cant seem to find the dates they apply to?
    Did you book everything separate or though
    a company?

Thanks guys!
    Rory, how did you find park prices? I see online they are ding deals but cant seem to find the dates they apply to?
    Did you book everything separate or though
    a company?

we booked separate and the thing i was talking about was the quebot

also pre pay your parking, its handy

we booked separate and the thing i was talking about was the quebot

also pre pay your parking, its handy

Booked everything directly with Legoland. Apart from the flights of course. Check Kellogg's cereal packs I think they sometimes have vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm going over to London in July to see Ed Sheeran play at Wembley and am looking at hotels. Will be flying from Shannon so flight choices are limited which means I'll have Sat in London for shopping before the concert. I'm looking for somewhere that is:
    - Close to high st shopping
    - close to a safe tube stop for walking back to the hotel after the concert. Don't mind if I need to change tube lines to get to Wembley.

i'll look at hotels up to about £150 for the night but obviously would prefer less.

Any recommendations from where people have stayed before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm going over to London in July to see Ed Sheeran play at Wembley and am looking at hotels. Will be flying from Shannon so flight choices are limited which means I'll have Sat in London for shopping before the concert. I'm looking for somewhere that is:
    - Close to high st shopping
    - close to a safe tube stop for walking back to the hotel after the concert. Don't mind if I need to change tube lines to get to Wembley.

i'll look at hotels up to about £150 for the night but obviously would prefer less.

Any recommendations from where people have stayed before?

Copthorne Tara hotel is just off high st kengsington and is decent. Weekends in July look to be about £120 per night but I dont know exactly when Ed is playing. Tube stop is two mins walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Stayed in the strand palace hotel before a couple of times. It's near the west end and covent garden. Not sure if location would suit. Would definitely stay there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

We are also thinking of making a trip to LEGOLAND this year. 2 Boys aged 9 & 6.

I have been looking at the website and the best value seems to be by booking hotel and tickets together - Am I correct or can it be done cheaper another way? The "tickets only" option on the site seems really expensive or am I completely out of touch with the price of theme parks.

This will be our first time abroad with the boys so I want them to enjoy it.
    Also how many days would you need to see the park - Is one day enough or would you need two ? I was looking at the "1 Day + 1 Day FREE" ticket option.

Also we would like to maybe add on a day in London - Would we be better staying somewhere closer to Windsor or closer to London?

All advice / information greatly appreciated

Not sure if there's a cheaper way.

You'll need at least 2 days in the park. One isn't enough.
    Not sure about a day in London again something that would need a few days.
    Windsor Castle was a great day out, close by, loads of suits of armour, swords etc to keep the lads interested

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd always go LHR if Legoland is your focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

is legoland a very child oriented theme park?

LHR is the closest airport for legoland, 4 juctions on the M4

IF You are doing the 2 day 1 night package then as someone said stay in windsor, lovely place and very close to legoland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

hdowney wrote: »
    is legoland a very child oriented theme park?

Yes. I'd say it is suited for under 12s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im thinking of booking their 1 days park entry + 1 days free package with a sister hotel. When you book do you have a choice of what day to go to the park? For example, if I arrive at the hotel on a Saturday, can I use the park entry on Sunday & Monday? or will park entry co inside with the first days stay in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dkelly

Im thinking of booking their 1 days park entry + 1 days free package with a sister hotel. When you book do you have a choice of what day to go to the park? For example, if I arrive at the hotel on a Saturday, can I use the park entry on Sunday & Monday? or will park entry co inside with the first days stay in the hotel?

When you book you normally get to pick the date for park tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Hi Richard Tea,

Yes, you can book park entry for the day after you arrive in the hotel. We arrived in the hotel on Friday and went into the park on Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Last year Kellog's did a 'buy a child's ticket get an adult one free' promotion which included Legoland. It looks like they are running it again soon. You have to use these to buy tickets at the gate, otherwise they are very slightly cheaper online and you can print them and go straight in.

I went with my 3-year old in October this year. I flew to Birmingham (€9.99 each, each way) first thing on a Saturday morning and took a hired car. I drove to Oxford to spend the weekend with a good friend and then headed from her house to Legoland on the Monday moring (about 45 min drive). As it was a Monday in school term it was pretty empty and we had to wait no more than one round of people to get on any ride. Even though it is open for a shorter day at this time of the year the lack of queues means you get to do a lot. I left when it closed at 4pm and drove back to Birmingham to comfortably make an evening flight. My son was so exhausted that he slept the whole car journey back.

With car hire costing €90, flights at €40, free accomodation and only having to buy one park ticket the whole weekend was under €200!

Remember that both Ryanair and Aer Lingus will take a booster seat / car seat for a child for free, much cheaper than hiring from the car rental.

Advertisement