Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The wifey has already gotten supplies in!!

What ya get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

What ya get?

Heineken and takeaway for dinner.

Last night ahead.

Don’t mind saying I’m feeling absolutely wrecked now!!

Last night ahead.

Don’t mind saying I’m feeling absolutely wrecked now!!
    I only got to do half my test and was mentally exhausted given I'd spent the week focusing on it. Relax now, get pished but don't drive tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I thought you were gonna get something alcoholic? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I thought you were gonna get something alcoholic? :pac:

There’s a bottle of yellow spot in the press for afterwards

Beer n pizza. Then put little lad to bed

Then relax a while and have a weee dram afterwards to close out the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

How much are pretest lessons including bike hire?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Passed!! Anyone want a lucky high vis??

By the way, those of you recommending Eric Dalton, could not agree more!!

I had two hours of pretest with him this morning and he was so helpful and enthusiastic about helping me out with the couple of errors I had been making.
    Congrats & well done young fella :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

well I'm off to the off licence.

I was supposed to be doing the test tmrw, but I've spent the last 3 hours checking everywhere and anywhere I store my documents... cos yep, you guessed it... IBT cert is gone AWOL.

I don't suppose those of you who have been through the process before have any knowledge as to whether or not its worth chancing my arm and just turning up without it? How many of you were asked for the form on the day?

I've sent a message to Eric Dalton, I'm supposed to have a pretest with him before the test tmrw just to ask his opinion.

not having your IBT cert wasn't an issue then :) Congrats btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doing IBT squashed into a weekend and in a rushed manner might work for some but not everyone.

Pre-covid in the UK there were courses which could take you from complete novice to full test pass in a few days. They allow driving schools to pre-book test slots there so if the instructor reckons you're ready, off you go!

Whatever about car tests, suspending bike tests here due to covid was fúcking stupid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Pre-covid in the UK there were courses which could take you from complete novice to full test pass in a few days. They allow driving schools to pre-book test slots there so if the instructor reckons you're ready, off you go!

Whatever about car tests, suspending bike tests here due to covid was fúcking stupid.

thats how i did my car test,
    Did the theory start of the week, a few lessons in between and then the driving test end of the week.
    Swapped my R license for a full Irish license and bypassed the N plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

booked test / waiting listed since November, IBT expired in Feb. Still no dates available for a test, I assume I would be fine sitting test with expired IBT as mentioned earlier. But how exactly can I get a test if I have no dates for months now? Do I call the local test centers for cancellations every week or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm waiting to book a theory test... The online booking system only opens up on April 12th, no idea how long after that I'll need to wait. But I'm sure for the actual test it'll take some time to clear the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Have a quick question that the rsa website doesn't answer. I have a full licence with 79.03 on the Cat A part. Does that let me drive a the likes of a Yamaha TriCity or similar twinned front wheel scooter or does it have to be twin rear wheels?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doesn't have to be twin rear wheels, they just need to be over 460mm between them. You could have some little 4 wheeled delivery thing and if it's front and rear wheels were less than that it'd be classed as a 2 wheel bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Varik wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be twin rear wheels, they just need to be over 460mm between them. You could have some little 4 wheeled delivery thing and if it's front and rear wheels were less than that it'd be classed as a 2 wheel bike.

Learn something new everyday.

Think those tricity things are classed as scooters here and in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The tricity 300 says it can, but no mention for the 125. Piaggio can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At the end of the day if it leans then it should require a bike licence no matter how far apart the wheels are. Daft if you can ride what is to all intents and purposes a motorcycle with only a car licence, no IBT, no bike theory test. No legal requriement for a lid on a trike either!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I think the law just hasn't caught up with development... I'm sure the rules were put in place for Piaggio Apé Vans, Reliant Robins etc.

Scooter manufacturers too advantage of loopholes to get more customers onto their bikes...

Personally as a car driver, I think it would be better to get people out of cars and using alternative forms of transport, but do agree, an IBT and motorcycle specific training would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Is this something I should be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

sm3ar wrote: »
    Is this something I should be worried about?

I mean.....
    Just change it, it'll take five min. Part of the cooling system?

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I mean.....
    Just change it, it'll take five min. Part of the cooling system?

Not sure. Was hoping someone here could tell me

Replace it, its about to fail and will leave you with coolant all over your boots and stranded.

What's the bike?

Replace it, its about to fail and will leave you with coolant all over your boots and stranded.

What's the bike?

Fazer 600. How much would I be looking at to replace it?

Fazer 600. How much would I be looking at to replace it?

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2003-fzs600-fazer-motorcycles/water-pump

You might find someone breaking a Fazer on Ebay or locally for the part

Anyone know the Dun Laoghaire test route?

Anyone?

How often should I be servicing a bike. Once a year or depending on mileage?

How often should I be servicing a bike. Once a year or depending on mileage?

Yes! Depending on your bikes manual, it will probably be either once a year or a certain number of kilometres if surpassed within the 12 month period.

Anyone?

Have you taken any lessons? Your instructor should be able to help you with that. I would be interested too, so if you find the answer, please share.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yes, I posted a rough map of it a while ago in here. Trying to remember the exact route but it was something like this. Its definitely more Glenageary side rather than DunLaoighaire though.

a2RaLvx.jpg

Thanks, was wondering alright would you hit the N11 on it but doesn't look like it. By any chance you remember where you were asked to do the u turn?

• Advertisement

unfortunatly I accidentally wiped my satnav the other day when messing about on the settings.
    I had the full test route for there on it from when I did my test.
    Was never asked to turn it off.

Advertisement