Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Another country? I refer you to my previous post.

I'm really not in the mood for this kind of rubbish on a Friday morning.

Facts facts facts. I'm not in the mood for someone that can't deal with them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

zero tolerance on anti-social behavior and much tougher sentencing - life means life - never concurant, always consecutive would be a start

the focus needs to be on punishment and public safety and not rehabilitation

There are studies about harsher prison sentences as long as your arm - the broad consensus is that longer sentences and tougher prison conditions are more about sating voters emotional needs and that in all likelihood, such measures might actually increase crime.

A person will commit assault or murder because they are disordered, not because they know a conservative politician has passed tougher sentencing legislation - few criminals think about deterrence when committing their crimes.

https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2017/11/07/locking-up-more-people-does-not-reduce-crime

The only model that has been genuinely proven to reduce crime is the Norwegian model. They went from recidivism rates of upwards of 91% to now in the low 20s (among the lowest in the world).

So it begs the question, with the evidence in front of you, do you actually want lower crime, or do you want to feel like something is being done about crime?

Stick it to Scotland where it belongs.

How do the Irish in Northern Ireland belong to Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Ian Paisley once said ""I am proud to be an Ulsterman, but I am also proud of my Irish roots". He also said he was an Irishman. I do not think people like him belong in Scotland, that would be like saying some of the people in Sicily belong in mainland Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Increase the capacity of public transport and have it free for everyone.
    Spend the money that'll be going out of the country on carbon fines instead subbing public transport.

• Advertisement

Did not work in eastern Europe or Cuba and will not work here.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Did not work in eastern Europe or Cuba and will not work here.

They never had to pay €150m carbon fines to the EU though for doing nothing to reduce emissions.

They never had to pay €150m carbon fines to the EU though for doing nothing to reduce emissions.

Peanuts compared to other government expenditure eg on public sector pay and pensions, the €7,000,000,000 annual interest bill on the governments national debt etc.

Peanuts compared to other government expenditure eg on public sector pay and pensions, the €7,000,000,000 annual interest bill on the governments national debt etc.

Seems pointless though paying out fines to the EU when there's a chance to reduce or eliminate that and help the citizens at the same time.

When the British were running things here there far a far higher relative capacity of public transport.

From google, quote : "At its peak in 1920, Ireland had 5,600 km (3,480 mi) of railway, now only about one third of this remains. A large area around the border area has no rail service."
    It was cheap then, to enable it to be used.

Maybe you hark back to the days of a large rail network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Cute whoreism - still rife today. Employ more Garda, and a zero tolerance system on drugs and the crime it goes along with. For starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'd relax the rules ....too much red tape. ...crazy.

Violent stuff tighten up tho...

When the British were running things here there far a far higher relative capacity of public transport.

From google, quote : "At its peak in 1920, Ireland had 5,600 km (3,480 mi) of railway, now only about one third of this remains. A large area around the border area has no rail service."
    It was cheap then, to enable it to be used.

Maybe you hark back to the days of a large rail network?
    Hark to days of some any sort of public transport.
    Crazy decisions being talked about of closing rail lines even today such as the Rosslare line to Dublin with poor infrastructure for parking cars in areas such as enniscorthy if anyone did wish to park the car and get the train to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Because most of them are pure Scots. Even a lot of the ones that don't think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Long term unemployment benefit recipients; reduce there payments by 10% every year they're on it after 5yrs. GET A JOB! Plenty of recycling to be sorted through! Career dole bludgers grind my gears with their 'entitled to' attitude. You may qualify for certain things, but not entitled to anything.:mad::mad:

RTE; bin it! An relic of the late 20th century. A money pit

People following UK (or other non-Irish based) soccer teams when they's absolutely zero affiliation with said team or even the place that team is based.... just why? Don't get it!...... As for folks wearing XXXXXXL soccer jerseys to go to the pub and shout at a TV? hmmmmm.:pac:

Drink driving penalties. If you're caught, then you should be put off the road, Instantly, and for life. Car sold and the proceeds to a fund to help those who've been injured or families who've lost loved ones as a result of stupid drink-drivers. Doesn't matter if it's the night or the following day. No second chances, no excuses, no Healy-Rae bull!

Dacia cars, jeez they're hideous looking yokes altogether, and they're bloody everywhere!.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

zero tolerance on anti-social behavior and much tougher sentencing - life means life - never concurant, always consecutive would be a start

the focus needs to be on punishment and public safety and not rehabilitation
    concurrent sentencing is basically a 'buy one get one free' deal for crimes, its actually unbelievable that it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

yes. those children's taxes will pay for services when you are retired

This is assuming these children actually get jobs and not follow in their feckless parents' footsteps when they're older.

Because most of them are pure Scots. Even a lot of the ones that don't think they are.

And a lot of those pesky white people who went to America 300 and 400 years are pure European. Even the ones who dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mugser wrote: »
    Long term unemployment benefit recipients; reduce there payments by 10% every year they're on it after 5yrs. GET A JOB! Plenty of recycling to be sorted through! Career dole bludgers grind my gears with their 'entitled to' attitude. You may qualify for certain things, but not entitled to anything.:mad::mad:

RTE; bin it! An relic of the late 20th century. A money pit

People following UK (or other non-Irish based) soccer teams when they's absolutely zero affiliation with said team or even the place that team is based.... just why? Don't get it!...... As for folks wearing XXXXXXL soccer jerseys to go to the pub and shout at a TV? hmmmmm.:pac:

Drink driving penalties. If you're caught, then you should be put off the road, Instantly, and for life. Car sold and the proceeds to a fund to help those who've been injured or families who've lost loved ones as a result of stupid drink-drivers. Doesn't matter if it's the night or the following day. No second chances, no excuses, no Healy-Rae bull!

Dacia cars, jeez they're hideous looking yokes altogether, and they're bloody everywhere!.:P

Why would any employer want to give a job to people like that?

And you are only supposed to change one thing.

And you are only supposed to change one thing.

One thing would be restoring our public transport / rail system to what it was 100 years ago.
    Quote "At its peak in 1920, Ireland had 5,600 km (3,480 mi) of railway, now only about one third of this remains. A large area around the border area has no rail service."

We used to have a great tram service in Dublin too, one of the best in the world at the time. If our rail service was restored and economically viable it would be great.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. By that line of reasoning, a lot of the Scots in Scotland are pure Irish - even the ones who don't think they are.....

Advertisement