Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I wish as a country we could afford new cars, instead of being taxed to the hilt to buy over 100, 000 second hand imports from the UK each year, their second hand rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd change the welfare system . It rewards people for having lots of kids and their parent/ parents are to lazy to work . My friend is paying 1300 a month rent for a small 2 bed apartment. He has 2 kids and a girlfriend. The banks will only lend him 180,000 which won't buy you anything. He hasn't missed a months rent in 4 years and the mortgage loan he wants ( 280,000 ) is less than the rent he's paying .

Across the road from his apartment are two families living in nice semi detached houses. They don't work , have 5 or 6 kids each and pay for nothing. Anytime I see one of the women she's always in her pyjamas. Now how is that system fair?? One person is breaking his b@llix working and is worse off than the person who does nothing expect fire out babies for a living.
    Where did i blame unemployed people on anything??That's their own fault their lives aren't great . I just don't think it's fair that they should they be given things free, while other people have to go and work for it.

interesting!;)

sometimes when the term 'free' is used, people actually mean 'subsidised'! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    interesting!;)

sometimes when the term 'free' is used, people actually mean 'subsidised'! ;)

If you get something that you don't pay for, it's free is it not

If you get something that you don't pay for, it's free is it not

Not for the people who pay for what you are getting for "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

janfebmar wrote: »
    Not for the people who pay for what you are getting for "free".

Years ago you only got full Social Welfare benefits if you had the required number of Social insurance contributions , if you had no contributions you got a much reduced payment. Today, regardless of whether or not you have paid a contribution, payments are virtually the same. Also, there was no Childrens' Allowance, if you had the kids you supported them.
    I have absolutely no problem with payments to pensioners and the long term ill, but there is absolutely no incentive today to get up off your arse and go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How would you 'police' this?

Perhaps a deposit scheme when you purchase an event ticket that is allocated for your tent space which you will get back at the end of the event, I don't know really, when your talking about 55,000 to 80,000 people its not possible really, but the OP did say 'If you could...' I would if I was Festival Republic or MCD, of course I might well put myself right out of business because of that, the UK and Ireland can be a feckless bunch when it comes to looking after ourselves and the environment at events.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Close Waterford Airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

One attitude in Ireland that needs to change, is the "it's good enough".
    This country could be so much better in so many areas if we got our act together.
    Also the divide and conquer politics of so called "rural" Ireland vs Dublin monocity culture is destroying the country and holding it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The culture of little to no personal responsibility.

crack this one and everything else will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I'd change the welfare system . It rewards people for having lots of kids and their parent/ parents are to lazy to work . My friend is paying 1300 a month rent for a small 2 bed apartment. He has 2 kids and a girlfriend. The banks will only lend him 180,000 which won't buy you anything. He hasn't missed a months rent in 4 years and the mortgage loan he wants ( 280,000 ) is less than the rent he's paying .

Across the road from his apartment are two families living in nice semi detached houses. They don't work , have 5 or 6 kids each and pay for nothing. Anytime I see one of the women she's always in her pyjamas. Now how is that system fair?? One person is breaking his b@llix working and is worse off than the person who does nothing expect fire out babies for a living.

Not long ago people were blaming the banks for lending people to much. Cant win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

janfebmar wrote: »
    I wish as a country we could afford new cars, instead of being taxed to the hilt to buy over 100, 000 second hand imports from the UK each year, their second hand rejects.

Owning a car is as good as it's ever going to be again, the greens will demand major penalties for the privelage of driving

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Owning a car is as good as it's ever going to be again, the greens will demand major penalties for the privelage of driving

Some people just need a car to be able to get to and from work, because where they live, or for work purposes etc. The government here taxes people so much that for x amount of euro , you cannot buy a new car for that: you can only buy an import an imported secondhand for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'd move Rockall closer to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I wouldn't change much . Except our embarrassing voting in general elections

Gombeen stuff
    Fine Fail
    Sine Fein
    Parish pump
    The road the planning permission
    No water charge

We have made great progress in elections on social issues . But failed to move with that in our Tds.

One other issues and that makes it two . Is out tendency to rob people blind when the chance is there .

The quality of Irish politicians is abysmal, then again you get what you continually vote for. Honest people don't go into Irish politics for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nobelium wrote: »
    The quality of Irish politicians is abysmal, then again you get what you continually vote for. Honest people don't go into Irish politics for good reason.

Some do . But we vote in the lad who got daddy the grant for the shed.

Some do.

They don't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The abuse they would get from de internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The quality of Irish politicians is abysmal, then again you get what you continually vote for.

It doesn't matter who you vote for as there's no accountability so there isn't much incentive for them to do a great job

I'd get rid of the idiotic rule of not allowing high rise buildings in Dublin due to effecting the quality of the skyline.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The abuse they would get from de internet?

nothing to do with that, how long do you think an honest person can compete with compulsive liars, and who can tell lie upon lie and get away with it ?

• Advertisement

nothing to do with that, how long do you think an honest person compete with utter liars, who can like upon lie and get away with it ?
    I always find people's definition of truth and honesty when it comes to politics is that is their "truth".

Greyfox wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who you vote for as there's no accountability so there isn't much incentive for them to do a great job

I'd get rid of the idiotic rule of not allowing high rise buildings in Dublin due to effecting the quality of the skyline.
    It is going but not in the central zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

159 out and out liars running the country on behalf of 4.75 million of the most honest people that ever walked the earth. How did that happen?

is_that_so wrote: »
    I always find people's definition of truth and honesty when it comes to politics is that is their "truth".

That would be a typical Irish politician style answer. There are no "versions of the truth", just the actual factual truth.

159 out and out liars running the country on behalf of 4.75 million of the most honest people that ever walked the earth. How did that happen?

you get what you vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

you get what you vote for.

I didn't vote for Gerry Adams.

I didn't vote for Gerry Adams.

No, the idiots did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Years ago you only got full Social Welfare benefits if you had the required number of Social insurance contributions , if you had no contributions you got a much reduced payment. Today, regardless of whether or not you have paid a contribution, payments are virtually the same. Also, there was no Childrens' Allowance, if you had the kids you supported them.
    I have absolutely no problem with payments to pensioners and the long term ill, but there is absolutely no incentive today to get up off your arse and go to work.
    I think that's more because the pay related element of jobseekers benefit was largely done away with rather than jobseekers allowance being increased. About the only difference now being that JB is not means tested whereas JA is.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

I would get rid of motor tax...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I would get rid of motor tax...

....and what tax would you increase?

Advertisement