Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobelium wrote: »
    That would be a typical Irish politician style answer. There are no "versions of the truth", just the actual factual truth.

No, that's the buyer's remorse which many voters dress up as truth and as a result politicians lie. My one thing I'd love to change is that people shake off their complete ignorance of what a political system does and is supposed to do.

JayZeus wrote: »
    No, the idiots did.

No, that would be people who liked Gerry Adams or what his party represents. Those "idiots" might also view your own voting choices as stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

How about we be happy for what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Close the borders and full throughout background checks on all who wish to come here.

Vittu wrote: »
    How about we be happy for what we have.
    Sure, where's the fun in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Close the borders and full throughout background checks on all who wish to come here.

...and watch the economy collapse

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our obsession with the housing market and land.Viewing them as a way to make big money , and using them as some sort of indicator that the country is doing well.And keeping the builders happy no matter what the cost to people.

Drives me crazy.

shesty wrote: »
    Our obsession with the housing market and land.Viewing them as a way to make big money , and using them as some sort of indicator that the country is doing well.And keeping the builders happy no matter what the cost to people.

Drives me crazy.

shur the banks are delighted, making a bloody fortune out of us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The culture of little to no personal responsibility.

The Irish populace have this bizarre belief that politicians exist to solve all problems regardless of cost or where the funding will come from.
    For me politics merely exists to create and regulate the conditions for me to live my own life as I see fit. Not provide me with a free house and free everything else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, that's the buyer's remorse which many voters dress up as truth and as a result politicians lie. My one thing I'd love to change is that people shake off their complete ignorance of what a political system does and is supposed to do.

They can have all the remorse they want, but they repeatedly get what they repeatedly vote for.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and what tax would you increase?

Decrease wasteful welfare spending to make up the deficit.

road_high wrote: »
    The Irish populace have this bizarre belief that politicians exist to solve all problems regardless of cost or where the funding will come from.
    For me politics merely exists to create and regulate the conditions for me to live my own life as I see fit. Not provide me with a free house and free everything else

again, nobody receives free anything, most if not all citizens pay some form of taxation, again, the term you re looking for is 'subsidised'

Decrease wasteful welfare spending to make up the deficit.

please explain what 'waste welfare spending' is?

again, nobody receives free anything, most if not all citizens pay some form of taxation, again, the term you re looking for is 'subsidised'

You’re either extremely naive, a welfare junky or being deliberately obtrusive here. “Nobody receives free anything” jasus wake the fcuk up would ya?
    Do you think the feral welfare classes with doomed child after child pay for it all via VAT or something?

You’re either extremely naive, a welfare junky or being deliberately obtrusive here. “Nobody receives free anything” jasus wake the fcuk up would ya?
    Do you think the feral welfare classes with doomed child after child pay for it all via VAT or something?

again, 'subsidised'!

please explain what 'waste welfare spending' is?

Bar (genuine) disability spending, genuine carers and pension pretty much the whole lot is a disgraceful indulgence of honest taxpayers money- time limit and based on contributions is the only way it should be.

again, 'subsidised'!

Subsidized what? Housing? That they pay about 5 % of the actual whereby the honest taxpayer pay the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have Food Production as a mandatory subject in secondary schools.

Divide up the course with practical work experience stints on the various different farms. Only have two students working on farm at a time to get over the exhibitionist attitude that a group would have and to give the weaker students a chance.
    It would broaden students knowledge of life and give them a new awareness of what they eat.

Have the final part of the subject the preparation and cooking of the food and serving on a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Sure, where's the fun in that?

Too true ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I think that's more because the pay related element of jobseekers benefit was largely done away with rather than jobseekers allowance being increased. About the only difference now being that JB is not means tested whereas JA is.
    I'm talking about a time long before PRSI was introduced which turned out to be another monstrous rip off dressed up to look like social utopia. It wasn't long before the politicians started to erode the benefits, something which has continued ever since.

• Advertisement

No, that would be people who liked Gerry Adams or what his party represents. Those "idiots" might also view your own voting choices as stupid.

Like I said, idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

All primary schools are bilingual for Irish and English.

After 14 years of learning Irish I can't put a sentence together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Replace all judges with working class people who have legal backgrounds but who couldn't afford to be judges. That way at least some of this crazy practice of sentencing murderers to only a year or two and shacking them up in jails with the best of food and access to education instead of sentencing them to at least 25 years with no chance of parole. Right now, victims of crime have NO voice when you have some wooly brained D4 Judge who never experienced an iota of crime or what its like in the real world making all the wrong decisions.

They need to be fcuked out, every last one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

again, 'subsidised'!

If 100% of your income comes from the state you’re not subsidised, you’re totally funded by the taxes of others. Paying VAT and other taxes from your social welfare does not make you a contributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Tradesmen and Taxi drivers feeling as important as a heart surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

....and what tax would you increase?
    i would put it on the petrol/diesel so the more you use your car the more you pay..
    That way you havnt got the gaurds stoping people and taking there car for no tax.

Also that then gives the gardai more time to fight real crime instead of being tax collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Have laws for tackling cronyism, cute hoorism and fraud where politicians get their pensions reduced and/or fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Any chance we can get Uber in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Any chance we can get Uber in Dublin?

By all means, but by the time it complies with Irish regulation around PSVs and licensing, you've just got a big hackney firm. The Americans traditionally have difficulty getting their little heads around the regulation in Europe around these things. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

If you could change one thing about Ireland, what would it be?

For me it's the courts system and the sentences handed down. I'm so sick of lenient and suspended sentences that I now just avoid reading about court cases in newspapers. People on 100+ previous convictions pleading with the judge about their tough upbringing and how they've now turned their life around. Absolutely infuriating how it's repeatedly allowed to happen!

I don't care what it takes - they can double my USC to pay for extra prison officers, they can build a massive prison next door to my house, I really don't care how it's done once the scumbags are taken off the streets and there's an actual deterrent for the type of people that feel the law doesn't apply to them.

So what is the one thing (serious or trivial) that you'd like to change about Ireland?

The gays, the foreigners, the kn eh, travellers & the junkies, everything is their fault, EVERYTHING!...

Advertisement