Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are the only postive or neutral opinions of Peterson allowed?

There's having contrasting opinions, and there's being snide.
    a load of the same old self-help mantras with a shiny new wrapper.
    Fair. But he IS helping people. Are you trying to say that's a negative thing?
    He has about 10 minutes of (unoriginal) ideas wrapped in 500 hours of obfuscation and waffling.

Any reasonable original idea is built upon other people's original ideas. We are but dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants.
    No-one seems to be able to agree what his opinion is about anything, he's like a walking, talking rorschach test.

Most of what he talks about is psychology and philosophy related, anyone that tells you they're sure about everything in either of these things is a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

kubjones wrote: »
    There's having contrasting opinions, and there's being snide.
    Fair. But he IS helping people. Are you trying to say that's a negative thing?
    You claim he is helping people - how is promoting climate change denial helping people?
    Any reasonable original idea is built upon other people's original ideas. We are but dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants.
    What are these original ideas that Peterson has produced?
    Most of what he talks about is psychology and philosophy related, anyone that tells you they're sure about everything in either of these things is a liar.

I said 'No-one seems to be able to agree what his opinion is about anything', not that he ought to be 'sure about everything', and I stand by that.

Peterson appears to be intentionally as vague as possible when it comes to expressing a concrete opinion or stance on virtually every topic. It's so consistant that it cannot be unintentional - he clearly wants to avoid alienating any potential follower.

If he was really concerned with helping people he'd give concrete advice and solid opinions but he hardly ever does; he just keeps on dodging and waffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

I'm actually not sure like.

I'm not an avid follow of his by any means, but the level of venom some people have for him astounds me.

Some of their comments reek of that upper-lip bourgeois scoff at the hint of being challenged on some of their ideas.

Its no wonder the political left is being villainized when these are the kind of people representing them.

Agreed. I wouldn't call them "left" though. I think that's an insult to genuine left wing people. They're more sneering, bourgeois, Irish Times reading trendies who look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No-one seems to be able to agree what his opinion is about anything, he's like a walking, talking rorschach test.

Sure. But that wasn’t the point the poster made. They said that even his followers can’t agree on what he’s saying. And I think that’s completely valid point. He’s extremely vague either by accident or design which allows his flock to take whatever they want from his sermons. Meanwhile he can deny holding almost any position of substance because he doesn’t commit to any position of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Peterson appears to be intentionally as vague as possible when it comes to expressing a concrete opinion or stance on virtually every topic. It's so consistant that it cannot be unintentional - he clearly wants to avoid alienating any potential follower.

If he was really concerned with helping people he'd give concrete advice and solid opinions but he hardly ever does; he just keeps on dodging and waffling.

Why does he need to have an opinion and what does he have to have an opinion about?

What is it you're expecting from the man that has never claimed to be anything other than a Clinical Psychologist?

What is it you think he should be doing, based on the fact that he has reached the position he is in doing everything that he is doing now?

• Advertisement

They're more sneering, bourgeois, Irish Times reading trendies who look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them

If this was ironic, it’s funny.
    If it’s not ironic, it’s hilarious.

Why does he need to have an opinion and what does he have to have an opinion about?

What is it you're expecting from the man that has never claimed to be anything other than a Clinical Psychologist?

What is it you think he should be doing, based on the fact that he has reached the position he is in doing everything that he is doing now?

The man claims to be an expert in his field; he ought to be able to express a clear and unambiguous opinion on something at this point, surely?

If he is keen to help his audience, he should offer concrete advice, unambiguous guidance.

Not this endless stream of meaningless pabulum*.

*Sign up now! For only $12.99/Month, you'll get Dr. Peterson's latest remarks on climate science, postmodernism, the biology of lobsters and MUCH MUCH MORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

The man claims to be an expert in his field; he ought to be able to express a clear and unambiguous opinion on something at this point, surely?

If he is keen to help his audience, he should offer concrete advice, unambiguous guidance.

Not this endless stream of meaningless pabulum*.

*Sign up now! For only $12.99/Month, you'll get Dr. Peterson's latest remarks on climate science, postmodernism, the biology of lobsters and MUCH MUCH MORE.
    His book offers concrete advice, surely?  Clean your damn room etc.  I think most of his contributions relate to dissecting other peoples' "advice" and revealing the disingenuity of those who claim to be working for the good of others.

I think he doesn't give clear positions on topics because he doesn't want to become a guru, where people are more obsessed with the idea of him than his actual words.  His message (I realise the religious connotations) seems to primarily be about self empowerment through discipline and self-awareness and being/becoming a force for genuine good in the world, in whatever way each individual defines good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Agreed. I wouldn't call them "left" though. I think that's an insult to genuine left wing people. They're more sneering, bourgeois, Irish Times reading trendies who look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them

And you feel the counter point to this is to sneer back with random insults?

You know the Irish Times has several extremely socially conservative contributors? Don't you? It's handy to have all these lazy generalisations to throw out though, while complaining about lazy generalisations.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    And you feel the counter point to this is to sneer back with random insults?

You know the Irish Times has several extremely socially conservative contributors? Don't you? It's handy to have all these lazy generalisations to throw out though, while complaining about lazy generalisations.

One you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

markodaly wrote: »
    Never heard of scientific racism?
    Another example, it was not until 1981 that the WHO removed homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Science is not infallible.

Nobody is suggesting that. What I have been saying is that it is more sensible to listen to experts in a given field than it is to listen to people who aren't qualified.

In this specific instance, I'll listen to climate scientists over a unqualified regular joes or an organisation sponsored by fracking.

Unfortunately Dick doesn't do irony. I've pointed this out a few times.

I hate people who use lazy generalisations, especially those bourgeois lefties who don't like Jordan Peterson. Some shower of mindless libtards.

they/them/theirs

One you mean?

Try again. It's not hard.

they/them/theirs

Undividual wrote: »
    His book offers concrete advice, surely? Clean your damn room etc. I think most of his contributions relate to dissecting other peoples' "advice" and revealing the disingenuity of those who claim to be working for the good of others.

I think he doesn't give clear positions on topics because he doesn't want to become a guru, where people are more obsessed with the idea of him than his actual words. His message (I realise the religious connotations) seems to primarily be about self empowerment through discipline and self-awareness and being/becoming a force for genuine good in the world, in whatever way each individual defines good.

'Clean your room' is literally the only concrete piece of Jordan Peterson's advice that ever get cited.
    How many books has he produced?
    How many hours of youtube videos?
    Does it really all boil down to one three word sentence?

Hang on, 'Be precise in your speech' is another one, isn't it?

You say he doesn't want people to be more obsessed with him than with his words, but you also say his message 'seems to be...', so you recognise that his message is unclear.

If he really wanted people to think about the message, not the messenger, surely he'd make an effort to keep it clear, keep it simple and keep it useful.

Unfortunately Dick doesn't do irony. I've pointed this out a few times.

I hate people who use lazy generalisations, especially those bourgeois lefties who don't like Jordan Peterson. Some shower of mindless libtards.

Luckily they can’t look down on DS because he’s so far above them on his high horse. Generalisations should be expected Since they all look the same from all the way up there.

Try again. It's not hard.

Breda O brien. That's all I've got.

Luckily they can’t look down on DS because he’s so far above them on his high horse. Generalisations should be expected Since they all look the same from all the way up there.

I just had an irony overload. Almost fainted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This is an interesting discussion between Jordan Peterson and Matt Dillahunty - their conversation is the first hour with a Q&A for the last forty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Undividual wrote: »
    His book offers concrete advice, surely?  Clean your damn room etc.  I think most of his contributions relate to dissecting other peoples' "advice" and revealing the disingenuity of those who claim to be working for the good of others.

I think he doesn't give clear positions on topics because he doesn't want to become a guru, where people are more obsessed with the idea of him than his actual words.  His message (I realise the religious connotations) seems to primarily be about self empowerment through discipline and self-awareness and being/becoming a force for genuine good in the world, in whatever way each individual defines good.

'Clean your room' is literally the only concrete piece of Jordan Peterson's advice that ever get cited.

You say he doesn't want people to be more obsessed with him than with his words, but you also say his message 'seems to be...', so you recognise that his message is unclear.

If he really wanted people to think about the message, not the messenger, surely he'd make an effort to keep it clear, keep it simple and keep it useful.
    I recognise the limitations of my own understanding, if that's what you're asking?  As far as I know he has 2 books, only one of which I've read.  Why do people need to cite his rules?  I assume anyone discussing him knows he has a book on that topic.  Having read the book, there are some chapters which appealed to me and others less so.  No big deal.

His ideas (or at least his combination of others' ideas) are complex and takes time for some people (me) to appreciate / integrate.  I don't understand the pressure for his message to be completely polished and bite-sized. 

Is it not better to have hundreds of hours of Jordan Peterson lectures/talks/interviews online for people to access which help those people, than hundreds of hours of ______ which don't help people?  How does it affect anyone negatively, (besides, perhaps, through misinterpretation)?

My favourite thing about Peterson is that "Be precise in your speech" is one of his rules.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Compared with his detractors (the tumblr crowd and their male apologists) , peterson has done a hell of a lot for the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Keepaneye wrote: »

Compared with his detractors (the tumblr crowd and their male apologists) , peterson has done a hell of a lot for the human race.
    Lol

Keepaneye wrote: »

What's a "male apologist?

What has Peterson done for the human race? I know he's helped many individuals.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Lol

Great point. You've changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Just want to jump in here and say he's brilliant. That's it I'm off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

So what? The majority aren't always right.

You are having a laugh right now .. right ?

You are having a laugh right now .. right ?

Not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nobody is suggesting that. What I have been saying is that it is more sensible to listen to experts in a given field than it is to listen to people who aren't qualified.

Yet, in the past we had experts, tell us that homosexuality was a mental disorder and that blacks were inferior to whites and science proved it. These were the experts at that time.

Look, I see your point but as I said, science is not infallible and this topic, especially of climate change have fundamentalists on both sides, who have questionable motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

markodaly wrote: »
    Yet, in the past we had experts, tell us that homosexuality was a mental disorder and that blacks were inferior to whites and science proved it. These were the experts at that time.

Look, I see your point but as I said, science is not infallible and this topic, especially of climate change have fundamentalists on both sides, who have questionable motives.

This is the false equivalence people like the guy in Petersons video are trying to sell in order to muddy the waters. Reality is over 90%+ of climate scientists agree. In addition we have things called thermometers which just record temperature with no political bias.
    There is no debate left to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

20Cent wrote: »
    There is no debate left to be had.

The last words of a zealot fundamentalist.

Advertisement