Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I over reacting?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive the trespasses of others. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Not worth the hassle. Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I m also surprised about how ppl think OP should leave it. Im narky enough about stuff like this and id be livid.Johnny falls over your potplant and sudeendly you have a claim against you.

I would be fairly confrontational about it rather than faff about. Theres too many people who re not direct and then wonder why the message does not hit home.

Hi, im concerned to see a photo of my garden on your friend Johnnys instagram. This photo was cleary taken from inside my garden without my permission and i want it removed from the public domain immediately.

I also dont want anybody on my property without my permission, so please dont let this happen again.

I always find being direct leaves them with no where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive the trespasses of others. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

From what I understand, and I'm no legal expert. It is only considered trespass if there is an intention to commit a crime. Otherwise the postman would be trespassing multiple times a day.

There's a huge difference between a postman walking up the path to deliver post an someone coming into a back garden in the middle of the night imo.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »

And for everything else, there's PIAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Definition of trespassing

Trespass on building, etc.
    13.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person

Can't see a judge convicting. If it even got that far.

laotg wrote: »
    Definition of trespassing

Trespass on building, etc.
    13.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person

Can't see a judge convicting. If it even got that far.

That's criminal trespass. There is a civil wrong of trespass which is actionable without proof of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Beheretomorrow

"The relationship with these neighbours is not amazing"

This matters greatly. Why is this and did they do this on purpose to annoy you due to previous interaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

SteM wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between a postman walking up the path to deliver post an someone coming into a back garden in the middle of the night imo.

Which is why it comes down to intent. If the reason is to commit a crime, it's trespass. If the reason is to get a ball, or something else that blew over the wall, that's not the same.

I had the Guards out because the next door builder jumped my back wall into my garden without my permission for better access to their own property. The builder and Garda chatting in my back lawn, and then I was told nothing could be done as the builder didn't intend harm, or to commit a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

4ensic15 wrote:
    That's criminal trespass. There is a civil wrong of trespass which is actionable without proof of damage.

Every day is a school day. How is it actionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

"The relationship with these neighbours is not amazing"

This matters greatly. Why is this and did they do this on purpose to annoy you due to previous interaction?

They come home late from work and party as if it were the middle of the day. This happens a couple of nights per week. They stand outside their back door to smoke, this is only a couple if feet away from my bedroom window, they smoke outside in chatty groups, making no attempt to keep the noise to a minimum. I have tried to talk to one of the tenants, he was obnoxious and rude. Waiting for the home owner to call yo me as arranged, though the previous time I spoke to her( politely and calmly) about a very loud disturbance until 4am on a Thursday morning, she weakly pretended she knew nothing about it. So that's what I mean about not having a perfect neighbourly relationship.

laotg wrote: »
    Every day is a school day. How is it actionable?

Because trespass is a tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I am a homeowner( whenever the mortgage is finished!). The house next door was bought last year. A girl who works in a local restaurant, she let's out two rooms to friends. I was looking at Instagram and look and behold there is a photo on her mates public page taken in my back garden, right up by my back door, of a wall mural my daughter painted. The photo was taken months ago, late at night. I am fuming. I do not know the mate, he was in my garden, my private space, late at night, putting my private property up on his public social media page. I have intend speaking to her about this but trying to gauge if I am over reacting or not. I don't think I am. The boundaries of what is acceptable seems to be changing constantly due to social media, people convince themselves certain things are ok when they actually are not. This was my daughter's personal design, and not for strangers to decide to make it public. The relationship with these neighbours is not amazing, I would not be expecting to see them or their friend in my garden late at night if I looked out my bedroom window. Any thoughts?

I think your not overreacting - but is it worth the hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I thought it was a child's painting, turns out it's an adults. The more detail that has been revealed, the clearer the issue. The op thinks the neighbours are too noisy, the neighbours think the op is a moaning fuddy duddy. Searching the neighbours' social media and peering out behind the blinds kind of confirms this part to be true. You need to come to an amicable conclusion op. Confronting the neighbour with this won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Where I agree that they should not trespass on your property, it amazes me that you think home owners cant stand at their own door and smoke and chat, and you have a right to complain about it!

mel123 wrote: »
    Where I agree that they should not trespass on your property, it amazes me that you think home owners cant stand at their own door and smoke and chat, and you have a right to complain about it!

When they coming home from work at all hours are smoking and chatting at 4am in the morning disturbing people's sleep, I'd complain myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

anewme wrote: »
    When they coming home from work at all hours are smoking and chatting at 4am in the morning disturbing people's sleep, I'd complain myself.

Maybe i took it up wrong, but OP didnt say they did this at 4am. I know OP said disturbances at 4am alright, but i took it chatting at smoking was in general, not 4am (which to clarify i dont agree with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think the OP is overreacting, and would be better to pick their battles.

Somebody hopped over the fence and took a picture. That is all that happened, and as such there aren't going to be any consequences, you can make complaints but nobody is going to get arrested or charged and nobody is going to give a toss about it in the long run. You might get an insincere apology but nobody is really going to give a ****, you will just be the moany neighbour, creepily snooping on Instagram and whinging again.

So you will have further antagonised your neighbours for no benefit. And to what end? I get that there is history there and you would like them to stop disturbing the peace, but is this really the best way to go about it?

Make formal complaints about the noise, address those issues, don't waste your energy focusing on a minor issue that isn't going to help you one iota in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Maybe a bit of an overreaction to be honest. If it was happening all the time you should say to them but I think you should leave this one.

Eejits putting it up on Instagram

• Advertisement

I thought it was a child's painting, turns out it's an adults. The more detail that has been revealed, the clearer the issue. The op thinks the neighbours are too noisy, the neighbours think the op is a moaning fuddy duddy. Searching the neighbours' social media and peering out behind the blinds kind of confirms this part to be true. You need to come to an amicable conclusion op. Confronting the neighbour with this won't help.

The neighbours stand outside their back door from midnight, sometimes until 5am, a couple of nights a week, chatting as if it's midday. That is too noisy, especially in a residential area. I wonder how you would cope with that? I didn't search their social media. I'm obviously not sure if you know how Instagram works? Instagram suggess pages for people. Pages that may be of interest to you. I was scrolling the pages I follow, no rules against that, below were pages suggested for me, local businesses, people I may know, friends of friends, that kind of thing. I clicked various ones, to see if I knew them or wanted to follow them. That's how Instagram can work. So, ye see, it wasn't as clear as you decided it was.

mel123 wrote: »

I should perhaps have been clearer on this point. I have no issue with anyone standing and chatting at reasonable times. But when it continues intermittently until 5am, a couple of nights a week, then it is a problem.

The neighbours stand outside their back door from midnight, sometimes until 5am, a couple of nights a week, chatting as if it's midday. That is too noisy, especially in a residential area. I wonder how you would cope with that? I didn't search their social media. I'm obviously not sure if you know how Instagram works? Instagram suggess pages for people. Pages that may be of interest to you. I was scrolling the pages I follow, no rules against that, below were pages suggested for me, local businesses, people I may know, friends of friends, that kind of thing. I clicked various ones, to see if I knew them or wanted to follow them. That's how Instagram can work. So, ye see, it wasn't as clear as you decided it was.

Stop peaking out your windows. They can see you and they think it's creepy. And the first thing that popped up on instagram was this picture? :D You were snooping, that's pretty clear as this picture would not have been on their business instagram. You need to change your attitude if you want an amicable relationship with your neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Stop peaking out your windows. They can see you and they think it's creepy. And the first thing that popped up on instagram was this picture? :D You were snooping, that's pretty clear as this picture would not have been on their business instagram. You need to change your attitude if you want an amicable relationship with your neighbours.

Good job they were snooping too. You wouldn't know what would happen if you happened to see and confront the type of person who prowls around back yards. I'd be going to the police with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Suttree wrote:
    Why were you on her friends Instagram?

Hypothetically speaking. If for example some such individuals damaged your car, in your driveway, and you were asked the same question, what would your reply be? Enough said.

I generally tend to be in bed at night. That's the way I do things, go to bed, try to sleep all night and get up in the morning for work. I don't know if the neighbours are sitting, clothed or naked, wearing clown suits or painted in polka dots- I don't look out, no bloody need, it's the noise that's the issue,and the fact they or one of the group trespassed on my property.

I generally tend to be in bed at night. That's the way I do things, go to bed, try to sleep all night and get up in the morning for work. I don't know if the neighbours are sitting, clothed or naked, wearing clown suits or painted in polka dots- I don't look out, no bloody need, it's the noise that's the issue,and the fact they or one of the group trespassed on my property.

Then how do you know they were smoking? :D Snared again.

I never said the picture taken on my property was the first thing that popped up. I said I received recommendations of people and businesses I may know and may be of interest to me. I have scrolled through many of these at various times, that's why they are there- to go through and see if I want to add them or send a follow request. It's social media, it's a public page, I have done nothing wrong, it's out in the public. Not like my private property.

I never said the picture taken on my property was the first thing that popped up. I said I received recommendations of people and businesses I may know and may be of interest to me. I have scrolled through many of these at various times, that's why they are there- to go through and see if I want to add them or send a follow request. It's social media, it's a public page, I have done nothing wrong, it's out in the public. Not like my private property.

Yes but you were snooping, that is clear.

• Advertisement

Then how do you know they were smoking? :D Snared again.

'gis a light;'. 'is there an ashtray?' 'gis a drag ' At feckin 4am there's not any bloody noise distraction. If I were to peer out at them they would have seen me, we'd have been looking at each other! If I got up and bothered to look out I would have called out to them and asked them to keep it down. I was trying to sleep. Maybe you like staring out at your neighbours and think it's normal, personally I don't.

Advertisement