Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster vs Munster - The buildup for the ages!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've brought my younger cousins to plenty of games in the RDS/Aviva, between 3-8 and they've loved it. They watch the games on TV and were in awe at seeing the stadium and the game being played in front of them.

In fact there was a young lad around 4/5 behind us in the Aviva during the AIs, and he was by far the most engaged fan in the South Stand, and knew more about the players and what was going on than 90% of the adults around him.

It's all relative, if you bring a kid who has no interest in the game, of course they'll get bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hmmm. Some kids like rugby, some don't. You'd swear they belong to the race of Homo sapiens.

I'd be in favour of letting parents decide themselves whether their child is or is not up to watching a game of rugby live.

On the other, should Leinster lose, some kids might need counselling for PTSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hmmm. Some kids like rugby, some don't. You'd swear they belong to the race of Homo sapiens.

I'd be in favour of letting parents decide themselves whether their child is or is not up to watching a game of rugby live.

On the other, should Leinster lose, some kids might need counselling for PTSD.

Of course it is up to the parent....but in reality would this be even discussed a few years ago?

I blame Amy Huberman for it all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You talking to much sense

I have a 2,4 and 6 year old. I would never even entertain the idea of bringing them to a match. After 5 mins they would be bored and trying to run up and down the stand. Not hugely safe with people walking around.....

Not hugely fair on the rest of the public trying to watch a game and a 3 year old running around your feet....expect them also to spend entire match kicking the seat in front of them out of pure boredom

It is not fair on them.....first and foremost......but also it is not fair on other fans trying to go out and enjoy the game......

I know I come from a different generation but my children all went to games from a very early age. We just didn't allow them to run around or kick seats. We called it parental control.

OldRio wrote: »
    I know I come from a different generation but my children all went to games from a very early age. We just didn't allow them to run around or kick seats. We called it parental control.

It's your own decision. If I can afford a ticket to a match then I can afford to pay for a baby sitter for 2 hours so the kids get to enjoy the 2 hours and I get to enjoy my 2 hours. Once they are older then I will be relegated to the family seats and they can all join me.

No point dragging a kid along and they don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it and everyone around you doesn't either.

That is what I call parental skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's your own decision. If I can afford a ticket to a match then I can afford to pay for a baby sitter for 2 hours so the kids get to enjoy the 2 hours and I get to enjoy my 2 hours. Once they are older then I will be relegated to the family seats and they can all join me.

No point dragging a kid along and they don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it and everyone around you doesn't either.

2 hours? You must live on angelsea road. You sure can afford that baby sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

You talking to much sense

Not hugely fair on the rest of the public trying to watch a game and a 3 year old running around your feet....expect them also to spend entire match kicking the seat in front of them out of pure boredom

It is not fair on them.....first and foremost......but also it is not fair on other fans trying to go out and enjoy the game......

True foor the RDS all right.
    They would be fine at the likes of Thomond though, where running up and down tge empty rows wont disturb anyone.

Zing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I have four kids started bringing them to matches when they were 7/8 they really enjoy it the RDS is a great place for a family day out the Aviva not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Could you be any more condescending?

nannerby wrote: »
    I have four kids started bringing them to matches when they were 7/8 they really enjoy it the RDS is a great place for a family day out the Aviva not so much.

7/8 is a totally different case....the person is talking about a 3 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In fact there was a young lad around 4/5 behind us in the Aviva during the AIs, and he was by far the most engaged fan in the South Stand, and knew more about the players and what was going on than 90% of the adults around him.

That was actually Michael Lowry. Plays for Ulster. Looks younger alright...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

In the interests of trying to steer this thread back on track, can well agree the Munster kids would be way more passionate than the Leinster kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

aloooof wrote: »
    In the interests of trying to steer this thread back on track, can well agree the Munster kids would be way more passionate than the Leinster kids?

They're certainly more pashunate

Well the Munster kids would have more bite in them, similar to Alun Wyn Jones.....

I do remember last time I was in Thomond for a game, kids all along street giving us the middle finger as we drove past.....:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So back to rugby...

Leinster are 8.5 point favourites for this pre-team announcement

Very hard to see whether this could be a comfortable game or tight game.

Teams in 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Parentel skills? Off loading your children onto others? Whilst you enjoy yourself. OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Three big unknowns here:

1. How many of the Leinster first choice XV are able to play.
    2. What physical shape they're in.
    3. Whether last week will act as extra motivation or whether they couldn't give a shyte about the Pro14

Munster have nearly a full deck and should be
    absolutely champing at the bit to get stuck in.

Very hard to call.

Will be interesting to see the team, hopefully a good few of the Leinster team given another run to get over the loss against Saries

OldRio wrote: »
    Parentel skills? Off loading your children onto others? Whilst you enjoy yourself. OK.

Yes, for mental health it is always good for both parents to have time off....

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Barring some bizarre selection I expect Leinster to win this, probably with a relatively comfortable final score. Leinster by 10+ for me.

I just don't see Munster suddenly finding some moves in the backs, and I don't expect them to beat Leinster in the pack.

• Advertisement

Three big unknowns here:

1. How many of the Leinster first choice XV are able to play.
    2. What physical shape they're in.
    3. Whether last week will act as extra motivation or whether they couldn't give a shyte about the Pro14

Munster have nearly a full deck and should be
    absolutely champing at the bit to get stuck in.

Very hard to call.

It's certainly one of those games where if Leinster ran away with it you wouldnt be surprised. But equally the storyline wouldn't be outlandish if Munster outplayed Leinster after last week.

I do think Leinster will be desperate to win the Pro14 but as you said their physical condition and mentality could be low after last week.

Different teams sure, but we saw how Ireland were affected by a bad loss against England and had a rough few weeks afterwards.

I think Leinster will win though and I'd love a Leinster v Ulster final; there would be a great narrative to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm surprised some people are so confident in a Leinster win. Pretty worried myself, think the team will be pretty deflated from last week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

reggie.png

dregin wrote: »
    reggie.png

Are you questioning my teammates Munster supporting kids?? ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

accensi0n wrote: »
    I'm surprised some people are so confident in a Leinster win. Pretty worried myself, think the team will be pretty deflated from last week.

I'll be very annoyed if we put out our premium players against this Munster side. The average age of the Leinster 23 shouldn't be above 22. This is the pre-final matinee show for the children. Nothing else.

:pac:

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1129339528076939264?s=19

Healy
    Cronin
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    VDF
    Conan
    McGrath
    Byrne
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    D. Kearney
    Larmour

B. Byrne
    E. Byrne
    Porter
    Fardy
    Deegan
    McCarthy
    Sexton
    ROL

Strong team....

Larmour at 15.....great.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,210 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team in list form for those that can't see the tweet.

Van Der Terminator straight into the starting 15!

15. Jordan Larmour (37)
    14. Dave Kearney (135)
    13. Garry Ringrose (63)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (35)
    11. James Lowe (28)
    10. Ross Byrne (69)
    9. Luke McGrath (111)
    1. Cian Healy (206)
    2. Seán Cronin (171)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (100)
    4. Devin Toner (230)
    5. James Ryan (29)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (159) CAPTAIN
    7. Josh van der Flier (71)
    8. Jack Conan (87)

16. Bryan Byrne (40)
    17. Ed Byrne (43)
    18. Andrew Porter (51)
    19. Scott Fardy (42)
    20. Max Deegan (44)
    21. Nick McCarthy (34)
    22. Johnny Sexton (158)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (60)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Johnny on the bench, always a bit of a random one!

Great to see JdF back, backrow looks nicely balanced with him there.

• Advertisement

Sexton on the bench. What a world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), CJ Stander, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Jack O’Donoghue, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

🤪

Stander at 7 and JOD on the bench, and no Cloete. Looks like we're going beefy for this one.

It's a very strong Leinster bench. Fardy, Porter and Deegan will bring a lot of impact. I also thought we'd see JGP this week. More than happy to have Lowe start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Well the Munster kids would have more bite in them, similar to Alun Wyn Jones.....

I do remember last time I was in Thomond for a game, kids all along street giving us the middle finger as we drove past.....:p:p:p:p:p

Going by the muck you're spouting, the kids judged you right,

If Leinster hit hard for the first 10 mins they'll win handy, if they give Munster a sniff anything is possible, but it's hard to see past Leinster with their ability to notch the Intensity dial up to 11 at certain moments of games, they did it to Saracens for periods last week but the Saracens dial goes up to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

VDF isnt human I just really hope he hasnt rushed himself back and does further damage

• Advertisement

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), CJ Stander, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Jack O’Donoghue, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

No RDS farewell for SoB either. Shame that.

dregin wrote: »
    I'll be very annoyed if we put out our premium players against this Munster side. The average age of the Leinster 23 shouldn't be above 22. This is the pre-final matinee show for the children. Nothing else.

:pac:

The broadway run was last weekend. The reviews didn't go well. ;)

Clegg wrote: »
    No RDS farewell for SoB either. Shame that.

Surprised at that, but a good sign for Deegan that he got the bench spot for the CC Final and has retained it for the Pro14 final over SOB.

Also the CC final may have been Rob Kearney's last game in blue if he doesn't re-sign.

Sexton benched in case he loses his mind again? :D

• Advertisement

Lots of power in that Munster pack. Wonder if they're trying to Saracens us?

Leinster now 7 point favourites after teams announced.

Clegg wrote: »
    It's a very strong Leinster bench. Fardy, Porter and Deegan will bring a lot of impact. I also thought we'd see JGP this week. More than happy to have Lowe start though.

Might not have shaken off his injury, but given that Rob Kearney, Adam Byrne, Tomane and Barry Daly are all injured and McFadden is suspended, we literally have no-one else to pick in the back three, Lowe had to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Might not have shaken off his injury, but given that Rob Kearney, Adam Byrne, Tomane and Barry Daly are all injured and McFadden is suspended, we literally have no-one else to pick in the back three, Lowe had to play.

Do we know if SOB is dropped rather than injured?
    (The 3rd option of "rested" doesn't apply at this stage of the season surely?)

Also this can't do his chances of making the WC squad any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Surprised at that, but a good sign for Deegan that he got the bench spot for the CC Final and has retained it for the Pro14 final over SOB.

Also the CC final may have been Rob Kearney's last game in blue if he doesn't re-sign.

This is the semi-final.

This is the semi-final.

Typo

kuang1 wrote: »

Dropped I think. No mention of injury. With VDF back its likely a case of 'better players available'.

Kenny B wrote: »
    Going by the muck you're spouting, the kids judged you right,

Some anger issues?

Deep breaths, it will be ok.....

kuang1 wrote: »

The bang on the back was bad and he didn't look right after it

Also a large amount of work done, he aint getting any younger

Amazing to think that it will be Sextons first league game since the last Munster game if he comes on.

Makes sense when you figure in the 6N etc but surprised it's been five months!

• Advertisement
Advertisement