Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just looked at the eir guide there. Highlights are on tomorrow at 15.30 on eir2. Handy.

Just catching up on the last of the highlights I missed, got to watch a decent few games and that's one of the best opening weekends of the league in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Just catching up on the last of the highlights I missed, got to watch a decent few games and that's one of the best opening weekends of the league in recent memory.

If you have a satallite dish you can pick up freesports. Handy channel to have as it will have some games. Zebre v Kings was on last night and repeated this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dragons host the Southern Kings next week. Panic stations if Dragons lose that one.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If you have a satallite dish you can pick up freesports. Handy channel to have as it will have some games. Zebre v Kings was on last night and repeated this afternoon

Freesports seems to pick up the 3rd game when 3 games are broadcast at the same time. Premier and eir have only the 2 channels.

Freesports is still in SD on fta satellite so the picture is crap. Next weekend I think treviso are home to cardiff on it.

Big game next saturday night is Scarlets v Leinster at 19.30.

Dragons host the Southern Kings next week. Panic stations if Dragons lose that one.

I see Bernard was on premier last night. Not ideal for a coach to be doing both, but perhaps he knows his time there is short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I see Bernard was on premier last night. Not ideal for a coach to be doing both, but perhaps he knows his time there is short.

He did the Cardiff - Leinster game which was played about 15 minutes drive away from Newport (assuming that he lives in Newport). If he hadn't done it for Premier then he'd probably have attended the game in a personal capacity to catch up with his old pals in the Leinster backroom staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was surprised to see Jackman commentate on that game too. Not that it impacted his team's preparation, but it just really doesn't look good. Go sit in the stands, and people think you're doing a good job researching future opposition. Go sit in the commentary box and people think you're neglecting your job of preparation for the next day's game. I know it's silly but nobody ever said public opinion is logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I was surprised to see Jackman commentate on that game too. Not that it impacted his team's preparation, but it just really doesn't look good. Go sit in the stands, and people think you're doing a good job researching future opposition. Go sit in the commentary box and people think you're neglecting your job of preparation for the next day's game. I know it's silly but nobody ever said public opinion is logical.

Exactly. If you're in charge of a struggling club it's never a good look to be off doing commentary nixers. In reality it makes no difference but the optics are poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Dragons bought in a load of players. They could get and be competitive. It's only week one.G'wan Jackman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The Dragons bought in a load of players. They could get and be competitive. It's only week one.G'wan Jackman

yep but none of them are up too much , did you see Richard Hibbard yesterday , jesus hes gone his sell by date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Would it be good for rugby if Mark Alexander got his way and the Super Rugby teams in South Africa merged with the Pro14? It would be a massive tournament, probably too massive and definitely the end of Super Rugby. Without South Africa, the commercial base isn't big enough to sustain Super Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

According to an interview with him at the Pro14 SA launch two new SA teams will be joining the Pro14 either next season or the season after. Its widely rumoured to be the Pumas and Griquas.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/PRO14/alexander-sa-players-better-off-in-northern-hemisphere-20180830

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jesus. They are not an attractive addition. The two bottom teams from last year's Currie Cup. The Griquas won a playoff to avoid being relegated to D1 Currie Cup (where the Kings associated Currie Cup side plays).

It would purely be an increase in dead rubber games.

Buer wrote: »
    Jesus. They are not an attractive addition. The two bottom teams from last year's Currie Cup. The Griquas won a playoff to avoid being relegated to D1 Currie Cup (where the Kings associated Currie Cup side plays).

What's really in it for the Pro14 to accept the bargain basement teams? They should be demanding a Western Province/Stormers or Bulls.
    As it stands I think we are a few seasons away from accepting new teams from South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone watch the Eir Sport highlights yet? Was it any use? Have it recorded and will watch later

Oupa Mohoje suffered a suspected ruptured ACL. A sickener for the Cheetahs if he is out long term.

Oupa Mohoje suffered a suspected ruptured ACL. A sickener for the Cheetahs if he is out long term.
    You wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if you were a Cheetahs fan.

I suspect results like last weekend are not going to be too unusual for them this season. They've gone from a team in contention to a likely 5 pointer when playing outside SA .

• Administrators Posts: 54,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pro14 chasing the cash and ignoring the solution of their product even further.

I suspect results like last weekend are not going to be too unusual for them this season. They've gone from a team in contention to a likely 5 pointer when playing outside SA .

They did take hockeyings at the start of the season last year, including a similar margin of defeat at Thomond. The mix and match with the Currie Cup can't help matters at all. Like last year their home record will be key.
    awec wrote: »
    Pro14 chasing the cash and ignoring the solution of their product even further.

Anayi comes across at least as a shrewd operator. The cash won't offset the damage to the reputation of the league if two basement dweller teams join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The S.A teams appear to be weak. All the good players from the Cheetahs split after last season. It's always going to be a factor for them. The league should push for the Lions or the Bulls. 2nd rate teams will not improve the league.

How does the amount of travel for the pro14 season for South African teams compare to the level of travel they had when in Super Rugby does anyone know?

How does the amount of travel for the pro14 season for South African teams compare to the level of travel they had when in Super Rugby does anyone know?
    Far more games outside SA but same time zone. Overall I'd say it's worse for them comfortably. The Cheetahs had 3 games outside SA in their final Super Rugby season.

All about television revenue and the similar time zones. Games in SA, Aus and Argentina were brutal for their television coverage.

Far more games outside SA but same time zone. Overall I'd say it's worse for them comfortably. The Cheetahs had 3 games outside SA in their final Super Rugby season.

All about television revenue and the similar time zones. Games in SA, Aus and Argentina were brutal for their television coverage.

I was more thinking that the amount of time away is going to be unappealing to some.

When you think about it - you could just up and move to the NH and make a lot more money rather than playing for a SA team and having to travel constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was more thinking that the amount of time away is going to be unappealing to some.

When you think about it - you could just up and move to the NH and make a lot more money rather than playing for a SA team and having to travel constantly.

Do you reckon? They probably spend around 11 weeks up here per season. It's less than a quarter of the year. The rest of the time they get to live in Rand Land.

Their best case scenario is definitely some sort of best of both worlds, wage inflation because they're playing in an Euro comp, but SA cost of living. (We're talking about some of the journeymen right, the 100-200k players).

There's no way they're getting those wages because they're now competing in a competition with European teams. You'd have a glut of players knocking down their doors for a contract instead of the dross they were forced to sign.

There's no way they're getting those wages because they're now competing in a competition with European teams. You'd have a glut of players knocking down their doors for a contract instead of the dross they were forced to sign.

Oh yeah I know! I am not saying they are getting those wages currently. I am saying that's the best case scenario they are hoping for. They'd need Champions Cup rugby for that.

A lot of the Super rugby teams are in poor shape. The Bulls and Western Province have been on the brink of bankruptcy. Other smaller unions have also been in trouble.

NZ rugby will also be in trouble unless more money comes from the next sanzaar deal. This at a time when the S Africans are demanding a fairer slice of tv revenue.

Look up north and many of the English clubs are living in debt while Munster had to be bailed out by the IRFU.

I have always wondered how long the unions will be able to maintain control especially if private backers want to come in and set up separate competitions with their tv deals and not want union dominance.

The 6 Nations and the Premiership have been struggling for sponsoring. So there are a lot of problems all round. Who knows how it will play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Aaaaaand still no highlights up on the YouTube channel! Seriously?

Wonder have they been scrapped with the new TV deals and Eir showing a highlights show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Munster and Connacht highlights are up on Eirsport twitter. No youtube is frustrating though especially after they had them up very quick last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Synode wrote: »
    Wonder have they been scrapped with the new TV deals and Eir showing a highlights show

Wonder this myself. Strange as you can access highlights of all English Premiership matches easily and reasonably quickly on their Youtube website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Cheetahs have fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

troyzer wrote: »
    The Cheetahs have fans?
    It does get quite hot........:D

Recorded Eir's highlights show at 3.30pm (I think) yesterday. Just watched it and they only showed 3 matches?? Blues v Lei, Ospreys v Edi and Connacht v Glasgow.

Synode wrote: »
    Recorded Eir's highlights show at 3.30pm (I think) yesterday. Just watched it and they only showed 3 matches?? Blues v Lei, Ospreys v Edi and Connacht v Glasgow.

The other 3 games were on in the hour slot afterwards I'd say. I tuned in after 16.30 and Munster was on.

They really need an hour highlights show on the Sunday night like BT have with the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A lot of the Super rugby teams are in poor shape. The Bulls and Western Province have been on the brink of bankruptcy. Other smaller unions have also been in trouble.

NZ rugby will also be in trouble unless more money comes from the next sanzaar deal. This at a time when the S Africans are demanding a fairer slice of tv revenue.

Look up north and many of the English clubs are living in debt while Munster had to be bailed out by the IRFU.

I have always wondered how long the unions will be able to maintain control especially if private backers want to come in and set up separate competitions with their tv deals and not want union dominance.

The 6 Nations and the Premiership have been struggling for sponsoring. So there are a lot of problems all round. Who knows how it will play out.

Unions will always have ultimate control. No rugby union team or competition can exist in a Unions country without their say so according to the World Rugby laws.

The FA once controlled the premier league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The FA once controlled the premier league.

Incorrect. The English Football League is not controlled by the FA. In 1992 the First Division clubs resigned from the Football League and created the FA backed Premier League. They could not have done so without the backing of the FA, so without the FA there would be no Premier League.

Just like in rugby, if the national body doesn't give permission for you to play, then you don't play.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Incorrect. The English Football League is not controlled by the FA. In 1992 the First Division clubs resigned from the Football League and created the FA backed Premier League. They could not have done so without the backing of the FA, so without the FA there would be no Premier League.

Just like in rugby, if the national body doesn't give permission for you to play, then you don't play.

The Premier League was an inevitability. The FA rejecting it would just have been kicking the can down the road, it would have happened eventually one way or the other. And coincidentally, the FA agreed to the Premier League in the hopes that the reduction in games would reduce the demands on England players.

There are a few interesting parallels between the old First Division in the late 80s early 90s and rugby union right now. Big clubs wanting better TV deals, big clubs wanting to spend more, big clubs not wanting to share revenue with smaller clubs, big clubs wanting more control.

Weakening of unions is not an impossibility because ultimately money talks. The game is at an interesting juncture as in the past few years big money has really started to flow into the sport, if it continues then who knows what happens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Brendan Fanning's, Irish, team of the week
    15. WILL ADDISION (Ulster) – Best on four quiet full-backs
    14. DARREN SWEETNAM (Munster) – Beautiful running all day
    13. KYLE GODWIN (Connacht) – Impressive debut in traffic
    12. STUART McCLOSKEY (Ulster) – An off-loading menace
    11. CIAN KELLEHER (Connacht) – Starting to fulfil potential
    10. ROSS BYRNE (Leinster) – Another fine roll of the dice
    9. JOHN COONEY (Ulster) – Late match-winner off the tee
    1. DAVE KILCOYNE (Munster) – Mixed up his game nicely
    2. BRIAN BYRNE (Leinster) – Game-changing bench impact
    3. ANDREW PORTER (Leinster) – Another very energetic sub
    4. BILLY HOLLAND (Munster) – Keeps maturing like fine wine
    5. SCOTT FARDY (Leinster) – Talisman came to the rescue
    6. MARCEL COETZEE (Ulster) – Showed why he was missed
    7. RHYS RUDDOCK (Leinster) – An end-game powerhouse
    8. ARNO BOTHA (Munster) – Played bulldozer on his debut

The FA knew they had very little control. As Sepp Blatter once said re FIFA if they didn't take the money some other organisation would'

https://www.balls.ie/football/rick-parry-370876

You do wonder what the value of a tv deal would be for a combined British and Irish league.
    How sustainable is it for the French to have 14 top division teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Videos of weekend matches now uploaded on Pro 14 Youtube website.

Videos of weekend matches now uploaded on Pro 14 Youtube website.

Nice! I've been looking forward to seeing the Dragons Benetton game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nice! I've been looking forward to seeing the Dragons Benetton game.
    Sick.......:D

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Sick.......:D

Highlights here. Was actually serious, heard it was a good game. Hibbard with what looks to me like a totally intentional hit to the back of the try scorer at 1:45. This absolutely is something that needs to be looked at, lot's of serious injuries happening when players dive on try scorers like this.

I think Beneton are going to make a real run of it this year, that said a lot of teams have recruited heavily - the extra cash from the new pro14 deal seems to be having an impact.

I'll say it again, what an opening weekend.

I think Beneton are going to make a real run of it this year, that said a lot of teams have recruited heavily - the extra cash from the new pro14 deal seems to be having an impact.

I'll say it again, what an opening weekend.

Marty Banks was SOOOO important to them, and he really ****ed them around for a while then left. But while he was there he was so good.

I saw some of the game live. Bennetton have definitely improved in holding onto the ball for phases. Dragons were awful though, multiple handling errors from simple passes.

I was wondering whether there was dew on the pitch and it might take them a while to get used to the artificial pitch.

Decent highlights clips on youtube. A big improvement on the 1 minute clip following by a 30 second Sky Sports ad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dragons got an intercept try in the first min and then scored their second try with 5 to go puts a different slant on the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement