Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dragons got an intercept try in the first min and then scored their second try with 5 to go puts a different slant on the game.

They were comfortably second best on the night. Treviso looked far more cohesive in moving the ball as well as in the tight. If Treviso had converted their tries (0/3), the game would have been dead regardless of the late consolation try.

In fairnsss, the Dragons did show some willingness to run the ball and have a crack but it was all for nothing more often than not and they'd end up spilling it. Jordan Williams is always fairly entertaining to watch running the ball back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭PMC83

errlloyd wrote: »
    Marty Banks was SOOOO important to them, and he really ****ed them around for a while then left. But while he was there he was so good.

Whats was the craic with Marty Banks? I 've read a few thing like above. Did he just leave early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Gonna be a rough year for Cheetah's you'd fear

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1037320539981967361

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PMC83 wrote: »
    Whats was the craic with Marty Banks? I 've read a few thing like above. Did he just leave early?

He signed a contract with them at the start of 2016, and was supposed to arrive once the NPC finished in October. But he never did, and showed up at the Highlanders for training stating family matters and played another season with them. So his contract ended up only being one year, (no idea how that happened).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre have confirmed Minozzi has had ACL surgery. That's a bodyblow to them and to Italy.

Cracking team try from Dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I didn’t know Frank Murphy was a ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

razorblunt wrote: »

He reffed Connacht away in Glasgow last season to the bemusement of the Glaswegians around us.

The Kings game management is just awful. No pressure being built. They get in the Dragons half and get penalised.

Jesus they were all ahead of the kicker at the restart just now. Shambles.

2 tries in 2 mins to make me shut up

• Advertisement

Very harsh call there, Kings tried an intercept and the winger was held back when trying to gather. Ref gave a knock on. Pretty blatant.

Kings try. Game on in Newport!

Touchline conversion makes it 17-17.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He reffed Connacht away in Glasgow last season to the bemusement of the Glaswegians around us.

He's an MAR ref, so he can ref anyone other than Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Does any know that the story is with Gavin Henson? Is he injured or just out of favour?

Kevski wrote: »
    Does any know that the story is with Gavin Henson? Is he injured or just out of favour?

Dropped I think.

27-17. Dragons can now chase the 4th try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Good game this. The Kings are putting some phases together.

That Dragons pitch is not 3G as I thought. The Welsh rugby union bought the club and grounds and were hoping to do a 3G pitch but Newport County who share the ground avoided relegation from the Football League and thus they had to lay a turf pitch. The edge around the pitch is 3G.

27-22 FT. Kings earn an unexpected point on the road, they were 18 point underdogs with the bookies. They return home to two tough visitors in Ulster and Glasgow. As for the Dragons, they have a difficult trip next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Two points for the Kings...got the 4 tries.

For the second week running, the Dragons profit from a side not being able to kick their goals. Treviso were 0/3 on conversions last week and Kings were 1/4 today.

Ospreys 19-7 Cheetahs, kicked off at 5:30. 3 tries scored for Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Skullduggery in Benetton v Cardiff game. Clock in red

Benetton beat Cardiff 27-25. Allan with touchline conversion

In the last play Benetton score in the corner and kick the conversion to win 27-25!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I for one welcome our new Venetian overlords.

• Advertisement

They needed the win tonight as their next games are away to Scarlets, Ospreys and Edinburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

razorblunt wrote: »
    Been a ref for 5/6 seasons and in 3rd season doing pro12/14 games
    He's an MAR ref, so he can ref anyone other than Munster.
    Yeah. Only restrictions for some of the irish refs in past other than their own province is when those who are working as ref development officers and cant ref province they're the ref development officer of as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Pumas, Griquas and Cheetahs are comfortably bottom of the Currie Cup this year. One of the Pro14 teams and the two that are rumoured to be making the move up North.

If they can't compete against Super Rugby development sides, how the hell are they going to compete in the Pro14? It's beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

troyzer wrote: »
    The Pumas, Griquas and Cheetahs are comfortably bottom of the Currie Cup this year. One of the Pro14 teams and the two that are rumoured to be making the move up North.

If they can't compete against Super Rugby development sides, how the hell are they going to compete in the Pro14? It's beyond me.

Agreed, Pro14 really need to be looking at quality rather than quantity.

https://youtu.be/EtDCb8dKH7s

Some good rugby on display from Benetton.

• Advertisement

I know that, but the fact that they're getting battered both in the Currie Cup and Pro14 suggests that they probably should be playing their starters (I.E. the Pro14 team) in the Currie Cup and be nowhere near the Pro14.

It's even worse for the Griqas and Pumas who don't have Super Rugby overlords officially, although the Griqas are also in the Cheetahs catchment area and the Pumas lose their best to the Lions. But the reality is that neither of these teams are likely to improve to Pro14 level.

That is open to debate. Many of the Super SA sides are struggling financially and may struggle to offer good contracts to young players. It is very possible that the Cheetahs and possibly the Kings will be able to sign up this young talent offering them a shop window to European teams. Certainly their agents will be looking in that direction.

It may take a few years but these teams could come good yet especially if they get into the CC and are offered more cash with the CC being televised in SA.

The Currie Cup will probably die off especially if 2 more teams are entered into the Pro14.

That is open to debate. Many of the Super SA sides are struggling financially and may struggle to offer good contracts to young players. It is very possible that the Cheetahs and possibly the Kings will be able to sign up this young talent offering them a shop window to European teams. Certainly their agents will be looking in that direction.

It may take a few years but these teams could come good yet especially if they get into the CC and are offered more cash with the CC being televised in SA.

The Currie Cup will probably die off especially if 2 more teams are entered into the Pro14.

I wouldn't claim to know what the Cheetah's financial position is now vs when they were in Super Rugby but I agree with you that the allure of playing in Europe with European salaries was a big part of what Mark Alexander was alluding to. It's obvious he sees SARU's future in Europe.

At what point do you see diminishing returns though? Is there really any point adding more ****e teams until we see the Cheetahs and Kings do well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If the S.A teams are struggling financially, why invite them into the pro14?
    Wouldn't a Georgian side and another Scottish side be better.
    To me, it's pointless bringing in fodder from S.A. it should only be a top team like the Stormers and Bulls that are invited. Lower level S.A teams are AIL level. It makes the league no better unless the best teams are involved.

Scott Williams suffered a hamstring injury over the weekend, he is potentially out long-term.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45461864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dubinusa wrote: »
    If the S.A teams are struggling financially, why invite them into the pro14?
    Wouldn't a Georgian side and another Scottish side be better.
    To me, it's pointless bringing in fodder from S.A. it should only be a top team like the Stormers and Bulls that are invited. Lower level S.A teams are AIL level. It makes the league no better unless the best teams are involved.

An extra £6m a year in TV money isn't at all pointless.

Besides the Cheetahs made the play offs last season. Neither Ulster or Connacht managed that. Nor did the Ospreys or Cardiff.

bilston wrote: »

Besides the Cheetahs made the play offs last season. Neither Ulster or Connacht managed that. Nor did the Ospreys or Cardiff.

They're not going to repeat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »

Maybe not. But that £6m in TV money every year keeps them in the tournament.

Eir doing some in depth analysis of the Benetton-Cardiff game on their highlights show. Good to see it's not overly centred on the provinces.

• Advertisement

Should learn a lesson from that, ring fence players for the initial 2-3 seasons they are in the league.

Some interesting fixtures this weekend.

Munster have to put Ospreys away and the more convincingly the better. They need a statement after the disappointment of last weekend. Connacht probably not expected to beat Edinburgh but if they can keep the score tight upto the last quarter I think Edinburgh's fitness levels leaves them a bit vulnerable. They've had two away games so this is their first home fixture of the season - I expect it to be a very physical game.

Leinster should beat Dragons at home, Dragons have been very unconvincing in my opinion. They were beaten at home by a decent Benetton team but they didn't put an extremely poor Kings to the sword at home and Leinster could put 40+ on them if we click. As others have said, the optics of Jackman doing commentary the night before a Dragon's game isn't great and a pummelling at the weekend will put him under pressure early in the season.

The Ulster game is going to be a test of depth but will showcase their youth talent which should be interesting. Kings are a better side at home so it could be an entertaining one.

I think Scarlets Benetton should be fascinating. Benetton are 2 from 2 and whilst I don't think they'll have enough for Scarlets away there should be some good scores from the game. Glasgow away to Cheetah's similarly will give us a better picture of where the Cheetah's are at and both teams will be throwing the ball around.

The Scarlets Benetton game could be good alright as both are throwing the ball around a fair bit. I presume Dan Jones will be at 10 with Patchell injured so that could weaken the Scarlets as he struggled with his kicking the last day. Normally he is very good though.

Pro14 Hour is on again now on eir 2.

Benetton leading in Llanelli 12-14 in the first half.

Red card I see for Benetton.

Red card I see for Benetton.

What for

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What for

Never a red. Herbst off his feet at a ruck, clearly. Made accidental contact with the head of the Scarlet, his elbow brushed the head and I mean brushed.

Even the heavily biased Welsh comms said it was a joke.

Ref was lookin at it in front of him and still went to his assistant to ask about it.

• Advertisement

17-26 to Benetton. Woah.

Advertisement