Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to be vegan (Mod Warning)

Options

Comments

con747 wrote: »
    I just wonder what the objective is, and why it's allowed to continue on a VEGAN forum. I am not vegan as stated earlier but the tag team livestock farmers do have a forum for the type of conversation they want to inflict on this forum.

There’s no moderation on this forum.

You can pretty much say what you like it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

There’s no moderation on this forum.

You can pretty much say what you like it seems.

So it seems, lets post antagonising videos and blood boiling posts to vegans and then do childish grinning faces and think we are great. Would a MOD just step in and delete this thread. Quote from evans last post "discussion with vegans and vegetarians about what influenced their decision to be a veg.....". Very interesting how you done the end of your post.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    So it seems, lets post antagonising videos and blood boiling posts to vegans and then do childish grinning faces and think we are great. Would a MOD just step in and delete this thread. Quote from evans last post "discussion with vegans and vegetarians about what influenced their decision to be a veg.....". Very interesting how you done the end of your post.

I’ve reported several posts and nada.

I think Tar does be quite busy with life.

Would be good to have a regular poster as a mod on the forum.

Unless of course someone is willing to go back over a month of posts and issue some bans.

All threads are purposely taken off topic EVERY time by the same posters.

A mod that’s hard on gaslighting would be my preferred choice.

I reported 1 earlier as well, I just don't understand why it's allowed. I would never go on a forum and do what was done on this one, it shows a serious lack of respect for peoples choices and way of life. Would you get away with similar on the religious forums? I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Actually I feel it's a big problem with the religious forum here as well and the conspiracy theory forum. People who clearly don't share the prevailing belief which is the purpose of the forum come on and obsessively shout down Catholics or JFK assassination theorists. Instead of any sort of constructive argument it's just "Yeah but that opinion is dumb because xyz". Not so much spirited debate as it is a facility for people to be bullied and ridiculed for their beliefs.

I'm not vegan, a Catholic or a conspiracy theorist but I do feel that more constructive discourse would be preferable, it's just not possible given the fact that the loudest people are unfortunately those who want to disparage others for their views and choices.

Just playing Devils advocate, wouldn't it be better if you had to be at least interested in the tenets of veganism to post in the relevant forum? Leave the arguing about livestock and livelihoods to AH.

• Advertisement

+1 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Unless of course someone is willing to go back over a month of posts and issue some bans.

Well you stop :) delete the thread ...a childish reaction when your unable to back up your reasons for going vegan.donald trump would be proud.
    Why do people take offense so easily these days.
    If your that convinced you made the right choice it shouldn't bother you in the slightest.
    I'm curious here...engage rather than demand censure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

richie123 wrote: »
    Well you stop :) delete the thread ...a childish reaction when your unable to back up your reasons for going vegan.donald trump would be proud.
    Why do people take offense so easily these days.
    If your that convinced you made the right choice it shouldn't bother you in the slightest.
    I'm curious here...engage rather than demand censure.

So tell me why someone comes on a thread asking why someone became vegan posts about killing animals? From what I've read it happens a lot.

I think people have a right to be p!ssed off. I don't think it bothers vegans why they became vegans, I think what bothers them are people continuously goading them on a f*cking vegan forum. Classic examples all over this thread.

You're not at all curious, you want to argue and tell people they're wrong. That's what's really childish, because no matter what vegans say, it's never acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

EvanFahy wrote: »
    The objective of this form was to have a discussion with vegans and vegetarians about what influenced their decision to be a veg.....

I believe it has went well so far I've learned a lot and I hope someone has learned something from me.

Nice try tho:D

That’s fair enough, people are curious about it and I answered in good faith but given the responses I assume the real motive was just to take the piss out of people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The forum has gone to **** to be fair.

Stopped regularly posting in it a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

huey1975 wrote: »
    I became a vegan because I craved attention and it made me different to everyone else in my family. I stopped being vegan when I realised what it entailed. Since then I have taken to working around the house naked. You don't have to give up eating meat, dairy and leather products to be an attention seeking asshole. There are many different ways

Another farmer coming in here just to wind people up. I don't get it. Is it insecurity?

So tell me why someone comes on a thread asking why someone became vegan posts about killing animals? From what I've read it happens a lot.

I think people have a right to be p!ssed off. I don't think it bothers vegans why they became vegans, I think what bothers them are people continuously goading them on a f*cking vegan forum. Classic examples all over this thread.

You're not at all curious, you want to argue and tell people they're wrong. That's what's really childish, because no matter what vegans say, it's never acceptable.

I am curious.
    Curious why your hell bent on destroying people s livelihoods.
    How would you like it it if I wanted to destroy your livelihood?
    Believe it or not it's one of the reasons and it is relevant to the thread.
    Ye can censure all you like
    If asking tough questions is goading then I'm sorry you feel that way.

I am curious.

Who's destroying who's livelihood? As a farmer said earlier in this thread, you export something like 500,000 tonnes of beef every year. Sounds like you're doing well to me. A tiny percentage of people who are vegan is hardly going to affect your business.

I am curious.

Do you really think sticking it to the farmers is one of the primary reasons people avoid meat or dairy?

Unfortunately things change and if farmers are struggling then they have to look at other options. What do the rest of us do when we lose our jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

How do you know someone is a vegan farmer? They'll tell you.

I am curious.

Boohoo.

Everyone's jobs has a threat. Mine is cryptocurrency possibly taking over currency. Maybe I should go into the cryptocurrency thread and start trolling or would that be a dickish thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Boohoo.

Everyone's jobs has a threat. Mine is cryptocurrency possibly taking over currency. Maybe I should go into the cryptocurrency thread and start trolling or would that be a dickish thing to do?

Ever listen or read any of Peter Schiff's publications?

EvanFahy wrote: »
    Ever listen or read any of Peter Schiff's publications?

Shouldn't you be busy in current affairs talking about Trump with your 400 other accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Shouldn't you be busy in current affairs talking about Trump with your 400 other accounts?

I have only the one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you really think sticking it to the farmers is one of the primary reasons people avoid meat or dairy?

Unfortunately things change and if farmers are struggling then they have to look at other options. What do the rest of us do when we lose our jobs?

To be honest I don't think that's representative of most of the back and forth on these threads. The OP who started this thread was accused of being"Just another farmer who can't deal with the fact that people don't want to eat their products". just five posts into the thread.

And up to that there was no anti-anything comments. And unfortunately that seem to set the scene for the rest of the thread.

Now I don't know the OP other than they're new and what they've posted and that they've said their sixteen. Maybe so. But to be fair the majority of comments in the forum are generally in reply to existing threads. With most comments being genuine discussion imo.

However like all threads you get the jokers and the pokers. Individual pokers hlare often the bigger problem. And btw in that Im not excuding anyone. But yes there are a very small number of vehemently anti-farming posters. One who regularly goes on hate filled rants directed at specically Irish farmers but oddly from his own comments doesn't even live here and another who seems to hate all farmers without exception.

Of course farming is changing. And many many of those involved in farming have more than one jobs these days due to the nature of the economy and the realities of family life. Anyway eitherway imo the thead is little more than a complete train wreck at this stage....

• Advertisement

Boohoo.

No it's not.once your being constructive and fair
    But asking tough questions is fair game once relevent to the thread.

eviltwin wrote: »

I agree with you.
    Farmers will have to suck it up unfortunately myself included.
    It does frighten me.
    this vegan is gaining serious momentum.
    I will be out of a job.
    Growing veg is not an option because the returns are so poor ...and regulations on the use of pesticides and fertilizer s get banned or more stringent every year.
    I won't even go into how supermarket s treat they're suppliers.
    How many billion is beyond meat worth now ??
    It will put me out of a job because veganism will go down the manufactured road as in the case of beyond meat or mosa meats(lab grown)
    It frighten s me that farming is slowly and surely being put down by a 1000 cuts.

No it's not.once your being constructive and fair
    But asking tough questions is fair game once relevent to the thread.

I don't appreciate u saying boohoo.
    I diddnt put anyone down in this thread and I'm not going to start.

That reply was meant for unearthly

I agree with you.
    Farmers will have to suck it up unfortunately myself included.
    It does frighten me.
    this vegan is gaining serious momentum.
    I will be out of a job.
    Growing veg is not an option because the returns are so poor ...and regulations on the use of pesticides and fertilizer s get banned or more stringent every year.
    I won't even go into how supermarket s treat they're suppliers.
    How many billion is beyond meat worth now ??
    It will put me out of a job because veganism will go down the manufactured road as in the case of beyond meat or mosa meats(lab grown)
    It frighten s me that farming is slowly and surely being put down by a 1000 cuts.

I can understand that. I don't think it's fair to blame people who choose not to eat meat or dairy though. It's just the way it is. I lost a job because the internet became the go to for my customers and I had to retrain and go into another industry. I don't feel angry, I don't blame people, things change, consumers change. That's just how it is. There will always be a need for farmers but perhaps not as many and perhaps they may need to diversify. Arguing with veggies and slagging them because we had a quorn sausage rather than a pork one won't endear you to anyone.

But don't you have ever growing markets in China etc where demand keeps rising? Meat and dairy is very much part of culture in Ireland and Europe, I can't see how a few vegans will affect farmer's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But don't you have ever growing markets in China etc where demand keeps rising? Meat and dairy is very much part of culture in Ireland and Europe, I can't see how a few vegans will affect farmer's business.

Well I don't think its anything particularly or specifically to do with 'vegans' tbf. Its the idea that fake / synthesised and highly processed products are somehow better. When its evident they're not. The last thing the world needs is even more highly processed foods which all come with a corporate logo and trademark.

And its not just wholefoods such as dairy or meat or whatever the exact same presures are being placed on vegetable and arable growers to produce food as cheaply as possible yet are amongst some of the most heavily regulated sectors in this part of the world.

Most of the foreign mega corporations involved in highly processed products are pushing it with vague taglines thats it ' healthier' 'better for the environment' and yes they tend to target certain diet groups.. A quick look at the ingredient lists of a lot of this type of crap and a basic understanding of logistics quickly shows otherwise.

And yes of course its fine if people want to eat other types of food where that's in accordance with the personal opinions or tastes. However these tyoe of highly processed and synthetic products are not doing any favours for anyone except for the mega corporations pushing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

gozunda wrote: »
    Well I don't think its anything particularly or specifically to do with 'vegans' tbf. Its the idea that fake / synthesised and highly processed products are somehow better. When its evident they're not. The last thing the world needs is even more highly processed foods which all come with a corporate logo and trademark.

And its not just wholefoods such as dairy or meat or whatever the exact same presures are being placed on vegetable and arable growers to produce food as cheaply as possible yet are amongst some of the most heavily regulated sectors in this part of the world.

Most of the foreign mega corporations involved in highly processed products are pushing it with vague taglines thats it ' healthier' 'better for the environment' and yes they tend to target certain diet groups.. A quick look at the ingredient lists of a lot of this type of crap and a basic understanding of logistics quickly shows otherwise.

And yes of course its fine if people want to eat other types of food where that's in accordance with the personal opinions or tastes. However these tyoe of highly processed and synthetic products are not doing any favours for anyone except for the mega corporations pushing them.

For most additives in processed food there is little evidence that they are responsible for ill effects. Probably more correct to say the high salt and sugar in food is bad for you. If you put loads of salt on your meat it's just as bad for you as a ready meal. Bacon and other cured meats are probably worse than a ready meal.

You posted this.

'Vegans don't know what they want.
    There clueless and live very sheltered lives'

Get the feck out with out your blatant lying

• Advertisement

I would like you to be a mod Klopp. On the ball with the antics in here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement