Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to be vegan (Mod Warning)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

richie123 wrote: »
    I'm not taking potshots and apologies if it came across that way.
    I'm just sharing an opinion.
    I'm not a hypocrite.
    Cows produce a ****load of methane and that's a massive problem.
    Vegans need to realize that there lifestyle is not exactly without it's problems too..
    To produce vegetables to replace an animal products..it would need to be done on a massive scale.
    That includes pesticides and fertilizer s at least to a minimum degree and anyone that says otherwise is being very disingenuous.
    It involves tilling ground which will release a lot of carbon not to mind the carbon released by emissions the machines doing so.
    The day the vegan brigade acknowledges this will be the day.
    Organic vegetable production will not feed 7 billion plus people.

We are already producing crops to feed animals on a massive scale, and these crops need fertilizers and chemicals etc. The point is you would need a lot less land to be disturbed if we didn't have to feed humans and farmed animals.
    The maize, barley etc that is fed to pigs and chickens didn't appear out of nowhere.
    No "lifestyle" is without fault, the very fact we're alive means we're contributing to the demise of the planet in some way, it's about minimising your impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We are already producing crops to feed animals on a massive scale, and these crops need fertilizers and chemicals etc. The point is you would need a lot less land to be disturbed if we didn't have to feed humans and farmed animals.
    The maize, barley etc that is fed to pigs and chickens didn't appear out of nowhere.
    No "lifestyle" is without fault, the very fact we're alive means we're contributing to the demise of the planet in some way, it's about minimising your impact.

Thelonious I can only presume youre being somewhat obtuse about this.

Again.

Most of that which is fed to animals like chickens and other animals (including horses and pets btw) are the by-products and left overs of human food processing.
    86% of livestock feed is not suitable for human consumption. If not consumed by livestock, crop residues and by-products could quickly become an environmental burden as the human population grows and consumes more and more processed food. 

http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/home/en/news_archive/2017_More_Fuel_for_the_Food_Feed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

What do you mean when you say cows eat grass/vegetation? What kind of vegetation? Crops like the evil vegans eat?

In Ireland cattle are primarily fed grass which is a perennial meaning it grows every year without the need for breaking the soil and planting a seed.

Annuals e.g. beans, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes have to be planted yearly.

EvanFahy wrote: »
    In Ireland cattle are primarily fed grass which is a perennial meaning it grows every year without the need for breaking the soil and planting a seed.

Annuals e.g. beans, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes have to be planted yearly.

Yes but they also eat imported grains, which would have had to have been grown somewhere. I mean if they're 90% grass fed, the other 10% has to come from somewhere, and 10% of our herd is a lot of feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Back to the OP’s question

I’m vegan just over a year. Was vegetarian since the age of 15, I’m 43 now. I’ve wanted to try being vegan for a while mainly for the health benefits and because I don’t feel comfortable eating animal products. Going vegan was easy for me as I have been dairy free most of my life. I made the decision last year because I started college while also working full time, I knew things would be full on and knew I’d need to be looking after myself. I haven’t had an issues, I actually feel a lot better and healthier now I’m no longer eating as much junk. No regrets and I’ve managed to convince one of my family members to take the plunge too.

I’ve no interest in having ethical debates about veganism or the rights and wrongs of eating meat. Everyone is free to decide for themselves what they want to do but being vegan works well for me and suits my lifestyle so I’m happy to keep going.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »

Most of that which is fed to animals like chickens and other animals (including horses and pets btw) are the by-products and left overs of human food processing.

;)

About 20% of the bovines slaughtered in Ireland last year came from feedlots:eek:

Here is an article explaining the drastic differences between grass fed and grain fed cows and the greenhouse gases associated with both systems, Enjoy!

http://newzealmeats.com/blog/grain-fed-vs-grass-fed-beef-greenhouse-gas-emissions/

When I watch these programs on TV about ways we can reduce our carbon footprint, they often end up talking about cutting out or down meat and dairy from our diets but they put little emphasis on how your carbon footprint can be greatly reduced by opting to source our meat locally on grass-fed farms

About 20% of the bovines slaughtered in Ireland last year came from feedlots:eek:

Here is an article explaining the drastic differences between grass fed and grain fed cows and the greenhouse gases associated with both systems, Enjoy!

http://newzealmeats.com/blog/grain-fed-vs-grass-fed-beef-greenhouse-gas-emissions/"]http://newzealmeats.com/blog/grain-fed-vs-grass-fed-beef-greenhouse-gas-emissions/

When I watch these programs on TV about ways we can reduce our carbon footprint, they often end up talking about cutting out or down meat and dairy from our diets but they put little emphasis on how your carbon footprint can be greatly reduced by opting to source our meat locally on grass-fed farms

Evan - 'feedlots' here is not the same as those in New Zealand (your link) or those in the US.

Here they are primarily used here by a number of finishers or professional buyers who buy in their stock direct from farmers. Feedlot is also used here to denote resticted herds under the tb eradication scheme. Most operate as a grass-based production system.

Generally such herds comprises a ‘non-breeding’ unit and utilise grazing, fed grass silage or use zero grazing based forage. Feedlots here also use their own ensiled forage and also some compound feeds. So again a large proportion of the diet is grass based. Tbh It wouldn't make sense otherwise when grass can be produced easily due to our climate and topography

Thanks for the info
    So our beef must have one of the lowest carbon footprint in the world. (production only)

Thanks for the info
    So our beef must have one of the lowest carbon footprint in the world. (production only)

Still cruel as **** though.

• Advertisement

Could you expand on that thought?

Could you expand on that thought?

There's a thread about milk and dairy being cruel already, have a read

You mean your own personal 'opinion' that livestock farming here is 'cruel as ****' all based on Earthling Eds videos etc ...

Thankfully that type of 'opinion' and that of millionaire Earthing Ed and his monetised videos don't stand up to scrutiny.

Some people believe walking on an insect is 'cruel'

Others believe keeping pets is 'cruel'

Ditto propaganda about farming.

Anyone of course can believe what they want - thankfully regulated and properly managed livestock farming does not even come close to your definition of "cruel as ****". Cruelty is well defined and anyone acting in that manner faces serious prosecution and penalties.

Farmers look after their animals not only because its necessary - but also because its the right thing to do. Animals who are happy and healthy thrive. Anyone who doesn't know that - well you can fill in the blanks yourself. And yes cruelty is abhorrent.

If there are exceptions then they need to be dealt with and not used to attack others.

No doubt this will used this to make some disingenuous personal remark much as previous. But hey maybe once there's some hope it might just might sink home....

WELL SAID

Ha. The 2 farmers flat out in the vegan forum.

Hilarious.

Trying to protect the free handouts for future generations.

The fear must be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

To be fair the milk and dairy = cruelty thread was started almost ten years ago. I doubt Earthling Ed had anything to do with its creation. Some empathetic free thinkers did.
    It's the most viewed thread on this forum I'd say apart from the dinner one because it strikes a chord with people.

Trying to protect the free handouts for future generation.

I'd prefer to get rid off them

Horticulture farmers also get 'free handouts'

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

If you are vegan and are reading this would you mind commenting on why you decided to become vegan?

Thanks

I became a vegan because I craved attention and it made me different to everyone else in my family. I stopped being vegan when I realised what it entailed. Since then I have taken to working around the house naked. You don't have to give up eating meat, dairy and leather products to be an attention seeking asshole. There are many different ways

auspicious wrote: »
    To be fair the milk and dairy = cruelty thread was started almost ten years ago. I doubt Earthling Ed had anything to do with its creation. Some empathetic free thinkers did.
    It's the most viewed thread on this forum I'd say apart from the dinner one because it strikes a chord with people.

Thats true. Though without the comments to clarify the deliberate misinformation posted about farming - that thread would be dead too

Funnily enough - that was a zombie thread created over 10 years ago with nothing added to it in over 9 years until you and one other poster started it up again some months ago.

Btw the "empathic free thinker" seems to have been banned and gone a long long time ago ...

Now about that other thread discussed - that would also just as likley 'strike a cord' with a lot of people imo.

Here is a lecture by Allan Savory an ecologist, livestock farmer from Zimbabwe he farms 40,000 acres.

Also a new documentary came out on Netflix the other day called 'Kiss The Ground' I recommend anyone who has an interest in the environment to watch it.

• Advertisement

https://www.fcrn.org.uk/research-library/holistic-management-%E2%80%93-critical-review-allan-savory%E2%80%99s-grazing-method

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/4472/RANGELANDS-D-13-00044.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi11J_LvNjsAhWBtXEKHbRKBwYQFjAKegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3rjvycFuuh9kxRdT6GVQAS&cshid=1603929013317

https://www.thewildlifenews.com/2013/11/12/allan-savory-myth-and-reality/
    many of his observations about animal behavior, plant ecology, evolutionary history and carbon storage are well outside the accepted scientific consensus. And these ideas can lead to damaged ecosystems and in the case of his ideas about livestock and global warming may actually be counterproductive—leading to greater GHG emissions if implemented according to his ideas.

Freethinkers hold that knowledge should be grounded in facts, scientific inquiry, and logic.

I'm off to read more about Goebbels' devious propaganda machine. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've 7 cows in my field at the back of my house. Imagine how shocked and horrified I was to see them only eating grass.

I raised chickens for the freezer this year. They were grass fed with a pellet supplement. They also ate meat in the form of snails.slugs etc as they free ranged.

I killed them myself.

I've 7 cows in my field at the back of my house. Imagine how shocked and horrified I was to see them only eating grass.

I raised chickens for the freezer this year. They were grass fed with a pellet supplement. They also ate meat in the form of snails.slugs etc as they free ranged.

I killed them myself.

Fair play to you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fair play to you sir

Having one of those birds tomorrow for dinner :) 2.8kg

Having one of those birds tomorrow for dinner :) 2.8kg

A nutritious bird compared to the ones raised in confinement houses.

Your birds will have a higher amount of poly-unsaturated fat. Do you notice that your birds fat is more yellowish than a bird from the supermarket?

How many birds did you raise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hahah the last 3 posts are so tragic. Grown men, one of which claiming to be 16, posting about raising and slaughtering animals in a vegan/vegetarian forum. I know quarantining is boring but jesus, surely you can find a better use of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

I just wonder what the objective is, and why it's allowed to continue on a VEGAN forum. I am not vegan as stated earlier but the tag team livestock farmers do have a forum for the type of conversation they want to inflict on this forum.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Tragic - causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    I just wonder what the objective is, and why it's allowed to continue on a VEGAN forum. I am not vegan as stated earlier but the tag team livestock farmers do have a forum for the type of conversation they want to inflict on this forum.

The objective of this form was to have a discussion with vegans and vegetarians about what influenced their decision to be a vegan

I believe it has went well so far I've learned a lot and I hope someone has learned something from me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement