Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Why are ye pissing off Rodgers already with best wide receiver and tight end on the board and ye draft a olb. GM Rodgers will not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

With regards to the Lions, after listeneing to GM Brad Holmes press conference, I'm convinced they were gonna take Witherspoon with the 6th pick till Seattle unexpectedly went that way. But yeah, strange picks they ended pivoting to after trading down, but Brad seems really happy with their haul so far. Got three 2nd round picks tonight so looking forward to seeing who they choose.

I actually don't think they're looking at the draft for much immeadite contributors like in previous years, after fixing their biggest weakness that was the secondary during free agency. So I don't think it a major disaster that some a making it out to be. I beleive the draft picks are mainly looking a few years down the line with a vision for the future at each position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thing is the scouts, for the most part, aren't much better.

Like I'm no expert but I've called some which seemed pretty clear to me over the years and they weren't picked in the first round.

For instance at QB the first thing I look at is what a QB does under pressure. If a guy is holding onto the ball running backwards regularly I'll draw a line through him. If he's looking to throw it away and going down taking the sack if it's not on that's a real good sign I think. After you see all that then you look at awareness, check down speed and obviously accuracy, arm strength, throwing motion and footwork.

For me though if you are the type who panics under pressure or want to be a hero on every play you have no hope of making it in the NFL.

I love receivers who move around to make it easier for the QB to complete the pass but a lot of scouts put speed first ahead of hands and iq. Justin Jefferson had incredible hands and that ability to move around and make it easier for his QB to complete a pass. He was the fourth receiver taken behind Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb. I loved Lamb too and again his movement was incredible but I had him and Jefferson as the top two in that draft class.

When you look at all the top receivers in the NFL and I'm talking Jefferson, Kupp, Hopkins, Adams, Hill, Chase and AJ Brown, they all have that ability to make it easier for the QB.

Look at first round picks who haven't been as good like Cooks, Agholor, Dorset and Watkins and they don't have that. There's plenty of total busts as well but I'm sticking with players who are still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're claiming Lamar to be wrong and have based you continuous gripes about him over the last few months on completely unsubstantiated rumours about what his demands were.

My argument wasn't that he was 'absolutely worth' more guaranteed money than Watson, it was that Lamar had a valid argument to make if he was trying to do that (again, completely unsubstantiated).

Similarly, last week my point was that Lamar had a valid argument to make that his contract should be better than what Hurts received.

Lamar got the best QB deal in per year value and guarantees for a player not moving teams. If that is being 'proven rather wrong', more players should try it.

There are always smokescreens but this year it made even more sense to do it given quality not being good this year.

There was basically no top tier talent that didn't have some kind of negative.

So many teams could see players different ways so it made sense to leak as most things were believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

good night for the eagles last night from everything I’ve seen.

Also you just never use the Browns as a comparison. They have some of the worst contracts in the NFL with Watson, Amari Cooper and Denzel Ward.

They overpay a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jets have historically been nearly as bad as Green Bay for not going offense in the 1st round, especially if you ignore the multiple **** QBs they've taken high😅 The new front office have changed it up a bit, the last 3 years they've ended up with at least one offensive in the 1st

Definitely positive, they basically took the top players on the draft analysts boards when their picks came, two guys who 'fell'.

Kind of similar to last year where their picks were hailed after the first two nights of the draft but then all ended up all being rotation guys or backups.

Not sure if they're immediately that much better than this time yesterday, as they were additions in spots where they were already strong, but the guys they picked could end up being great long term.

Sauce wasn't a rotational player, neither was Garrett Wilson.

• Advertisement

Looks like you've jumped so quickly to disagree with me that you didn't even read the previous post and see that Itssoeasy was talking specifically about the Eagles, nothing to do with the Jets.

Well being an eagles fan it’s logical I would comment on the eagles draft picks.

I don't know how I made that mistake. ☺️ My apologies.

The latest, 6'6, 150kg, Raven doing 38 reps on one leg (after a torn ACL)...we'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,859 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Solid enough draft for the Chiefs with a few needs addressed, keen to see how Rice goes in the WR room. Apparently he was catching balls from Mahomes in Texas a couple of weeks ago.

Taking Donovan Smith to beef up the OL could be a nice move, one-year deal for plenty of experience.

Seen Rice play a few times in college. He played a fair bit in the slot. I thought he'd have a really fast time at the combine but he was pretty average. He looked really fast in college.

He has great hands and if he plays in the slot he's going to open it up for Kelce because somebody is going to have to step up to cover him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Dolphins v Chiefs obviously the most attractive game, chance to see Mahomes live and Chris Jones with the Miami receiving corp very attractive viewing as well.

The Bills v Jags game is enticing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

Dolphins v Chiefs - The most anticipated game! Not only by me, but other people have been waiting for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is there any good American Football players Autobiographies that chronicle the players career from college to draft to pro career?

• Advertisement

The Schedule for the season will be released tonight but included in the five international games which have been announced. The dolphins and the jets will be on Black Friday the day after thanksgiving. The giants and the eagles play on Christmas Day, and the chiefs and chargers play on New Year’s Eve. The season opener has been announced when the chiefs will hoist the banner and its live on NBC Thursday before the first Sunday, and the NFL have decided its going to the **** Detroit lions. Did NBC lose a coin flip ?

I think I'm gonna go to the Chiefs Dolphins game. Just too good to miss.

I'll see the Patriots in Foxboro so I don't need to go to Frankfurt to see them.

My brother lives just across the border in Switzerland so going with him and we'll drive down and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Whenever I hear him mentioned I think of him in Any Given Sunday shouting "I DON'T GET STROKES MOTHERF##KER, I GIVE EM!"

Jim brown is one of the all time greats. Damn that’s sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Respect to the old NFL fans

PS. Ye guys are old!

I'm a massive fan of the man, his football was incredible and he did so many great things outside the game.

RIP legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Ravens do not have any retired numbers though if you are linebacker and want 52 formerly of Ray Lewis or 20 formerly of Ed Reed or 75 formerly of Jonathan Ogden then good for you and there may be a little extra pressure on you.

David Ojabe a second round pick from 2022 wanted 55 and retired player Terrell Suggs said no. I am confused why a retired player even gets to say so. 🤔 It went up to the top and the owner said no. The player will take another number

I can understand a team retiring numbers. But Baltimore does not do this yet act like a young player is way out of line for ever daring to ask for a number.

Surely there is a better way to handle this. It starts with the owner since he involves himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some new 'Global Marketing' assignations were announced yesterday. Ireland have been assigned Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

I don't know what it means in reality - presumably there might be an appearance/workshop by coaches/players at some stage. And I guess if ever they expand the international series to include Ireland then Steelers & Jags will be most likely to be a participant. Though suspect that's a few decades away.

NFL on Twitter: "Announcing the expansion of the NFL’s Global Markets Program! 21 teams across 14 markets now have access to grow their fan bases around the world in long-term strategic effort to enable clubs to build their brands globally. https://t.co/8GNbM0Ph7B" / Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Croke park with the Teaser....

Advertisement