Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I doubt it. Same Flag officer parked up the P40s and P31 and nothing happened. He's more focused on renovating buildings, painting things that didn't need to be painted and installing paving on a lawn outside his office.

Govt will look at 2 more ships wadied and say "money saved on fuel".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And so, when is our obligation to police EU regulated fishing and fishing grounds considered to be neglected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Eu have 3 new fishery protection vessels for patrolling mainly Irish waters by the looks of it,if you Google it they had a big party in Spain for them a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Viva La Armada Espanola!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I say fair play to the naval brass for tying up the ships. No point going through the pretence we can crew them. It is drastic action that might move things on. Not that u wish it but is some form of ‘event’ that usually galvanises the system into action … incremental decline is not a catalyst. Russian navy to play tricks anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

To be honest a Dedicated EU fisheries protection flotilla would be a better alternative. It’s mostly non Irish boats in the fishing grounds anyway.

Historically previous governments have neglected the sea & this government has neglected the sea & the people who crew the naval ships.

That's what Widdensushi is talking out above. Fishery protection should never be a primary task anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't think the Russians would see a 20 ship Irish navy as much of a deterrent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Given the Russian Navys "record" who knows, they might sink on the way even without anyone helping, I mean they are the navy that sends tugs with their deployments...

One of their vessels sinking in our waters would also be an environmental and political nightmare...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mupper2

How much was in that waste oil slick they left us a decade plus back?

In the article below its a follow up on the drive to recruit non national naval staff. In the article it states EU nationals areto be targated to join. They must know something that the rest of industry do not know because i know a few companys that tried to get EU staff and they would not come here

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-naval-service-chiefs-look-29067136?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

I taught the whole problem is that ERAs are getting paid better else where, any other EU Marine Nation workers are hardly going to join the irish navy when they can go private sector for better pay.

The Industrys i am talking about are Construction & Manufacturing

That all comes back to a reasonable and affordable standard of available housing.

We have none of that.

Sure there’s accommodation on the base for the single man/woman.

I honestly don’t know why would someone from abroad join. Your annual leave entitlements are restricted when your posted to a ship.

A block was redeveloped last year. Four floors, about 20 per floor. Intended for those posted aboard ship so they don't have to live aboard ship during down time too. Much more is required. Most accom on base is required for recruit, cadet and various NCO classes under training.

On those wages, nobody wants to be renting someplace they may only spend 1 week in 3 at. Many live either in Cobh or Carrigaline. Neither are cheap to rent.

• Advertisement

100% correct.

This is a big issue across the DF. Base housing for single and couple/family units alike ought to be a huge aspect of DF reform.

It could help address the attractiveness issue of a DF career in a big way and also contribute economically in considerable way to the local Community where quarters are located. Quite apart from being a brilliant Community itself.

The vision for this sort of wider thinking remains absent unfortunately.

Up to the 1980s the defence forces provided Married Quarters to those who needed it. However the mishandling of the overholders in the Curragh turned the DoD off housing completely. People might tolerate **** pay if they got paid properly. The DoD never increased pay when it stopped providing housing. They even charged apprentices rent to share a rotten wooden hut with 20 others.

The minister and all his predecessors in recent times is on record that the Defence Forces is not getting into the business of being a landlord.

Therefore it needs to include a living out allowance for those who deed it.

Anyone know anywhere in Rathmines where a single man or woman can rent an apartment on minimum wage? What about Citiwest.

We used to have that INSIDE the barrack walls.

Its very hard to attract people to Cork when rent prices are very expensive & limited.

I hope the TDS in the Dail start asking the hard questions during the next ministers questions.

If I was a Td these would be the questions I would be asking.

How many people are currently in the NS?

How many seagoing people are available for seagoing duties or at sea?

What are you doing to address the retention crisis in the NS? everything to date has failed.

Why is money being handed back to the government when it could be spent on increasing the Sea Pay? There are 4 operational ships out of 9.

Are you aware that Le Róisín is tied up?

Do you acknowledge there’s a crisis in the NS?

The minister should be getting a rough time because the government has neglected the DF. The likes of Cathal Berry should be ashamed of himself he’s been a cheerleader for the government and they are doing a terrible job

Lads things are not going to get better, I said this last year and nobody took note.

Would you believe there is a report on the rte archives about the new cavan barracks opening at the time and the reporter asks about accomadation and the officer says no need due to private and council houses!

They are asking those questions, you need to look at recent PQs to see govt are giving them the runaround with long winded nonsense answers put to gether by someone in the dept to count down the clock. It used to be at committee where the minister got a proper grilling, but the previous minister, because he was double jobbing, never had the time to go into too much detail.

Of course they know Roisin is tied up, the DoD made the decision on the advice of FOCNS. Cathal is no government cheerleader. If you paid attention to what he says and does you would know that.

Fact is, they don't care, and they won't care until the worst happens, at which point it will be to late.

Cathal Berry has asked the important questions that is true.

He’s very well informed but he has voted for the government in no confidence motions. He said there was extra money for the defence budget and that’s why he supported the government at the time.

I’m very aware what goes on in the Dail I’m not stupid but we all know That the government are doing a terrible job in running all the departments Housing, Health, the gardai, cost of living and defence.

Maybe we need Sinn Fein in charge. I know the officers hate Sinn Fein but they couldn’t do any worse than the shower we have.

And that is where you are wrong.

No Confidence motions: Pointless posturing by SF. Unless FG or FF changed their minds about being in government in the morning, no confidence votes are just sinn fein showboating. As the yanks say "do the math". Cathal has decided to support Govt. Presumably by doing so, he gets something in return for his constituency. Thats how it works. There is extra money in defence. You say you are aware of what goes on in the dail. You should know this. It's been in the news!

If you believe The political party formerly known as the Provisional IRA will be a miracle cure for all that is gone wrong, you need to ask why their TDs block every single proposal for apartments in their constituencies, and why in NI, where SF are in Govt, they consistently vote the opposite to what they say their views are down south.

That's before I even begin to talk about treating garda murderers as heroes, at their Ard Fheis, their continued connections to Organised crime, and the general supporting of terrorism thing...

"The officers" hate sinn fein because they use their brain.

And that's the last you'll hear from me. I don't debate with shinnerbots.

• Advertisement

Yes they could.

Cos however bad things may be in some areas in these times of global crisis, they'll be a **** load worse in the hands of a bunch of novices with a marxist idealogy.

Advertisement