Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

20170810-173722.jpg
    20170810-174026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Was playing rtype last night. I can get as far as level 5 on 1 continue, but man, that 2nd half of level 5 is something else!

Must have continued 20 times trying to beat the boss. Not even close! I'm sure there's some strategy and I could look at videos or something, but that's cheating :p

Brought me back to when games were rock hard, gradius pops into mind. And I've heard that gradius 3 takes the biscuit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stage 5 is just straight up shooting. Ripple laser works really well. For the boss just keep moving and concentrate on dodging rather than damage.

Stage 6 is when it gets insane. It's pure memorisation and it's where I give up on 1 credit. Stage 7 is a ****ing nightmare especially if you lose your force power up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone playing Blasphemous at all yet? Picked it up on the Switch last night and got about an hour of play in, so far it seems promising.

The dark medieval Catholic aesthetic is gorgeous and really works.

Sometimes I really would love to buy a widescreen CRT to play all of these new 240p widescreen pixel art games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stage 5 is just straight up shooting. Ripple laser works really well. For the boss just keep moving and concentrate on dodging rather than damage.

Stage 6 is when it gets insane. It's pure memorisation and it's where I give up on 1 credit. Stage 7 is a ****ing nightmare especially if you lose your force power up.

If you die before the boss you'll only be able to pick up an option and missiles though, starting from the halfway point.

That boss isn't easy to dodge! It can get you in a corner and then it's all a hail Mary :p

The boss is moving, the blobs are shooting toward you, and then the blobs track you for a second shot... Will give it another shot tonight :)

Had a look there at a video, yeah its a breeze with all power ups. Try doing it without them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's mostly about not panicing and remembering that staying alive is more important than doing damage. Once you get him down he isn't the worst but I've never felt comfortable fighting him as I've gotten to him before and had runs spectacularly killed by his cheap shots too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone playing Blasphemous at all yet? Picked it up on the Switch last night and got about an hour of play in, so far it seems promising.

Sometimes I really would love to buy a widescreen CRT to play all of these new 240p widescreen pixel art games.

Watched a stream today, it's on PC too. Looks like 2D Dark Souls - vania, very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

giphy.gif

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's mostly about not panicing and remembering that staying alive is more important than doing damage. Once you get him down he isn't the worst but I've never felt comfortable fighting him as I've gotten to him before and had runs spectacularly killed by his cheap shots too many times.

Man, I beat that mofo last night, only picking up two speed powerups. Went on and on and on!

Those old school shooters are a different breed from the patterns of bullet hell shooters like ikaruga. Everything is directly aiming for you. Theres nothing to "learn" really, and without power ups its like playing a different game. Thunder Cross is like that too, cruising until you lose all your options! Need to get Gradius 3 :P

Theres so many independently moving things coming at you from different angles, pretty sure I looked like this last night...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

beejee wrote: »
    Man, I beat that mofo last night, only picking up two speed powerups. Went on and on and on!

Those old school shooters are a different breed from the patterns of bullet hell shooters like ikaruga. Everything is directly aiming for you. Theres nothing to "learn" really, and without power ups its like playing a different game. Thunder Cross is like that too, cruising until you lose all your options! Need to get Gradius 3 :P

Under Defeat is well worth the investment too!

• Advertisement

I much prefer old school shooters to bullet hell.

Hopefully Devil Engine and the likes will trigger a renaissance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Colecovision getting a bit of love :)

48738647837_5c4a1322b6_c.jpg

48738647127_f67e7984f1_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Woohoo!

It's so much better than the 2600, Donkey Kong is fantastic on it, so is Zaxxon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »

One on my list. Love the souls series and this looks like a great 2d version of it. Love the style of it

Master of the Universe

I've never actually played one, they look like great ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The Nal wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Spent ages a couple of months ago trying to beat that game, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Playing Alien 3 on the Mega Drive. Nothing special, the time limit gives it a good challenge but then trying to find the exit is a pain in the ass. Got to level 5 I think, almost half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

accensi0n wrote: »
    Spent ages a couple of months ago trying to beat that game, no joy.

You should try the 2600 version I had. Played it hundreds of times got to the last boss once.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Playing Alien 3 on the Mega Drive. Nothing special, the time limit gives it a good challenge but then trying to find the exit is a pain in the ass. Got to level 5 I think, almost half way.

I find once you get past the second set of stages the game gets a lot easier.... and a lot more boring as the set dressing is way more generic.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah Alien 3, had that as a kid back when it was released.

At that age I absolutely hated when games had a time limit section. Used to freak the hell out of me. Even the Sonic underwater levels would send me into a panic.

Didn't like it much as a result.

Only recently discovered Alien 3 on the Snes, which I'd assumed was the same game. Looks to have been build using the same engine as Judge Dredd and Stargate. Actually now that I think about it, all three were made by Probe.

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever play the Super Metroid Redesign hack?

I've never been much into hacks but kind of fancy giving it a go.

Got as far as level 4 a few times on Air Buster (I'll get back to r-type!), Introduces a great little gimmick I haven't seen before!

When you get to space, your controls are changed, like a zero gravity thing. So if you move up, your ship continues moving up on its own until you change direction again. So you never stop moving. Cool little twist, adds another layer of difficulty on top.

Also the music from that level is cool, but standing with your head near the speakers of an arcade cabinet makes everything sound better anyway :)

Master of the Universe

Decided to give Metal Storm a go on my Famicom this evening after seeing it mentioned here the other night.

What a game! It's mad, you think you've played most games worth playing on a console and then a fantastic one comes out of nowhere that you've never heard of.

It's a great little game and amazing it's not as well known considering it got a Nintendo power front cover.

Master of the Universe

Decided to buy Rime as it's discounted on the Switch at the moment. Didn't know a thing about it. Thought it had an Ico looking vibe to it.

Started playing it at noon and just finished it now...holy fook, another masterpiece I've never heard of. It's been a long time since I've played a game through start to finish over ten or so hours. Couldn't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Donkey Kong '94. What gaming is all about, really. Hasn't lost a step in the 25 years it's been out.

Is a blast on MSR on the DC this evening, first time in ages.
    Man, that game is still fantastic!

Master of the Universe

Had a few friends over the other evening and was showing them the nomad. Then something occured to me to try out that has never dawned on me before, the 8 bit do controller!

Plugged the receiver into the player 2 port and it worked perfectly. Makes it far easier to play two player on a Nomad.

Actually it'd be really cool to use it with a Nomad, Micro Machines, a J cart and three 8bit do controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Just managed to finish Silkworm on my trust Amstrad CPC6128.

My trigger finger is absolutely killing me, but after 30 years, I finally beat the damn thing.

Poured a very large measure to celebrate it, after laughing my ass off at the end game message. :pac:

Advertisement