Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2020, 15:07   #1
Asus1

Firearms couriers

Hi what courier companies will transport a firearm within Ireland.I got my first rifle sent to me by fastaway but they proceeded to deliver it to a local shop the next village over so dont want to use them.Thanks.
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 15:59   #2
Gorgeousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus1 View Post
Hi what courier companies will transport a firearm within Ireland.I got my first rifle sent to me by fastaway but they proceeded to deliver it to a local shop the next village over so dont want to use them.Thanks.
Dpd bring ammo might be worth a shot.
Thanks from:
26-01-2020, 16:05   #3
solarwinds

The couriers used will be dictated by the sender. Tell whoever you buy off not to use a particular company. In my experience that is a common occurrence with that particular couriers.
Thanks from:
26-01-2020, 16:26   #4
Asus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeousgeorge View Post
Dpd bring ammo might be worth a shot.
I think you might be correct.Checked their prohibitive list and i dont see firearms or (weapons,most companies use this word).Looks to cost around €15 dropped to depot or €18 collected from door.
26-01-2020, 18:19   #5
Gorgeousgeorge

Quote:
I think you might be correct.Checked their prohibitive list and i dont see firearms or (weapons,most companies use this word).Looks to cost around €15 dropped to depot or €18 collected from door.
Yeah if got ammo by the thousand dropped off by them. Never had any problem
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2020, 00:06   #6
garrettod

Hi,

I believe that Fastway Couriers are a franchise operation, so very hit n miss.

I wouldn't have any confidence in them, tbh.
27-01-2020, 12:04   #7
Asus1

Well rang dpd they said absolutely not.Fella said you could chance it but if gun got damaged or lost i would have no comeback to claim for it as it is a prohibited item.
27-01-2020, 13:37   #8
dc99

Could you ask your friendly RFD who he uses?
Thanks from:
27-01-2020, 13:58   #9
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Have you tried An Post?

Once its within the country and you use registered post An Post will allow you to send ammo and firearms. I checked this out about three years ago. Needed to send some ammo to a friend and i asked before sending it. The lady said once it's not going outside the 26 counties and only through registered post can it be done. They won't do it through express or standard postage, for some reason.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2020, 15:23   #10
Asus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Have you tried An Post?

Once its within the country and you use registered post An Post will allow you to send ammo and firearms. I checked this out about three years ago. Needed to send some ammo to a friend and i asked before sending it. The lady said once it's not going outside the 26 counties and only through registered post can it be done. They won't do it through express or standard postage, for some reason.
Just rang there and i was told that they probably would send firearms within Ireland but the lady said your better off asking someone directly in the post office.
27-01-2020, 15:39   #11
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Yup, got the same answer when i asked. Went to my post office and told the lady that the package held 500 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. All she asked was where was it going. I told her the county. She said no problem as long as its within the 26, but you'll have to register the package.

Now it cost a pretty penny, but no more than a courier. I think it was €11 due to weight, and while registered post is between €6 - €10 if its over a certain weight and classed as a package registered post it a requirement. IOW its all done as the one. So for €14 i got the ammo sent.

No harm to ask at the post office just to be sure, but you could just wrap up the firearm, register it, and post it, and while i cannot guarantee there won't be an issue, if there is and you have a return address on the package its sent back you instead.
Thanks from:
27-01-2020, 15:46   #12
Hotshot123

Quote:
Yup, got the same answer when i asked. Went to my post office and told the lady that the package held 500 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. All she asked was where was it going. I told her the county. She said no problem as long as its within the 26, but you'll have to register the package.

Now it cost a pretty penny, but no more than a courier. I think it was €11 due to weight, and while registered post is between €6 - €10 if its over a certain weight and classed as a package registered post it a requirement. IOW its all done as the one. So for €14 i got the ammo sent.

No harm to ask at the post office just to be sure, but you could just wrap up the firearm, register it, and post it, and while i cannot guarantee there won't be an issue, if there is and you have a return address on the package its sent back you instead.
I use both fast way and dpd for ammo and Firearms.
Just put a note to be signed only at address used or have driver to ring your number.
It's safer that way
Thanks from:
27-01-2020, 19:33   #13
Asus1

Quote:

I might be sending a gun to a dealer thats 1.5 to 2hrs away from me so around a 4hr journey thats without stopping for food and hitting no traffic,add in the cost of petrol and if i can get it sent insured for €14 id say thats a bargin.
Thanks from:
27-01-2020, 21:33   #14
meathstevie

Quote:
I might be sending a gun to a dealer thats 1.5 to 2hrs away from me so around a 4hr journey thats without stopping for food and hitting no traffic,add in the cost of petrol and if i can get it sent insured for €14 id say thats a bargin.
Absolutely, €10 worth of diesel is very quickly burnt.
Thanks from:
29-01-2020, 14:17   #15
Asus1

Well was another no from my post office.The lady couldn't answer straight away so took my number and rang me back.She said that a larger post office the next village over use dhl for registered parcels and to ring dhl and see if they allow guns,they also said no.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion