Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Shmups on the Worse Shmup Console

Options
  • 22-10-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭

I'm of course referring to the SNES which is sometimes seen as being chronic when it comes to this genre of games.

Surely there are some decent ones on the system.

Super Aleste is one I was playing in the last few days and it seems to be good, well I found it tO be fun anyway and is that not all that matters.

Now I wouldn't be at all knowledgeable in this area at all and now that my Saturn is gone I'm interested in getting some shmup goodness for the SNES.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Super Parodius, Gardius 3

would you consider KiKi KaiKai a shmup, it plays kind of like Jackal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd second Super Aleste, brilliant game. Super SWIV was decent too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Axelay is my favourite, superb game.

I'm also partial to some UN Squadron.

R-type 3 is fantastic and makes up for the poor Super R-type.

Rocky and Pocky is great but more of a Mercs style game.

If you like Parodius then Cotton is great.

Biometal is a load of old arse but it does have a spiffing 2Unlimited soundtrack. Worth it for the cheese factor alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

safetyboy wrote: »
    Super Parodius, Gardius 3

would you consider KiKi KaiKai a shmup, it plays kind of like Jackal.

I have been on the look out for a decently priced Super Parodius for ages, don't know the other game actually.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd second Super Aleste, brilliant game. Super SWIV was decent too

Loved Super SWIV back in the day when I got my hand down SNES, definitely got a heck of playing time. It's called something else in the US and is actually hard to get and is a lot more expensive.

Super Aleste seemed to be a bit easy and I'd be crap at these usually.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Axelay is my favourite, superb game.

I'm also partial to some UN Squadron.

R-type 3 is fantastic and makes up for the poor Super R-type.

Rocky and Pocky is great but more of a Mercs style game.

If you like Parodius then Cotton is great.

Biometal is a load of old arse but it does have a spiffing 2Unlimited soundtrack. Worth it for the cheese factor alone.

That's only on the Saturn right? I just sold mine :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first Cotton is on SNES.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Loved Super SWIV back in the day when I got my hand down SNES, definitely got a heck of playing time. It's called something else in the US and is actually hard to get and is a lot more expensive

Space Megaforce afair

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Best for me goes;

Saturn
    Megadrive
    PC Engine
    Dreamcast

Kings of consoles when it comes to shmups.

Snes has a couple but overall yeah, fairly dire!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first Cotton is on SNES.

Did not realise that. Just had a quick look and it's cheap enough as well. Thanks for making me aware of that one Retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Pop'n Twinbee is my personal favourite. The more colourful the shooter the better for me, which is why the neon retina-death of bullet-hell shmups these days suits me perfectly.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Damn it! I completely misread the title as 'best shmup consoles and worst shmup consoles' - my above post makes zero sense :pac:

Super R Type is great. Its made even better by the way Retro is pants at it :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Super R Type is great. Its made even better by the way Retro is pants at it :D

Is that one hit death & back to the start of the level?

There's not enough Axelay love on this thread :mad:

What about Starwing? Can that be considered really? Great soundtrack in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Starwing is a rail shooter! Needs to be played at 60hz too, the Pal version is terrible

I've got a decent collection of shmups for the snes but I couldn't tell you if they're any good or not since its one of my least favourite genre, always had time for super aleste/space megaforce though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the Parodius collection on the PS, it has both major Parodius releases for the Snes on it and they are pretty brilliant.
    I have the original Snes one as well for the console and it's a lovely lovely game.
    But there are changes between regions.
    Assault Suits Valken, shmuppy bits in there to be sure.
    I have a good one here from Vic Tokai called Imperium, bought it off Pyongy, actually it's Japanese so it's called Armored Maneuverer Dion.

Aero Fighters/ Sonic Wings is a great little shooter as well. The bloody Swedish lad is awful though, the Jap guy is the way to go.
    Bloody power-ups getting me killed the whole time.

edit: Just looked at the prices of Aero Fighters there and well looks like it will be Sonic Wings all the way if I'm buying it. JP box art is way nicer anyhow, wonder if there is much of a difference gameplay wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Raiden on the Jaguar is definitely the best shump on the worst console..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Raiden on the Jaguar is definitely the best shump on the worst console..

Only if the CDi doesn't have a decent Shmup.... Which it doesn't, no redeeming features whatsoever...

Master of the Universe

nuxxx wrote: »
    I've got a decent collection of shmups for the snes..since its one of my least favourite genre

I tell you what, if my shmup collection was limited to a collection of Snes shmups, it would certainly be one of my least favourite genres too :D

• Advertisement

I tell you what, if my shmup collection was limited to a collection of Snes shmups, it would certainly be one of my least favourite genres too :D

But seriously,
    The MD/Genesis trounces so all over the Snes in this regard, in this genre, it's not funny
    In fact, I think the Willard says it best...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Only if the CDi doesn't have a decent Shmup.... Which it doesn't, no redeeming features whatsoever...

There's Tetsuo Gaiden on the CDi. A game so bad that they pronounce Gaiden wrong on the title screen.

Master of the Universe

I take it they say Gay-den rather than G-eye-den?

It's like they never watched The Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I always thought (right up till reading your post!) that it was Gay-den... :o

I always thought (right up till reading your post!) that it was Gay-den... :o

Ur a Gay-den.

trololololololol

People can learn so much from this film:

Master of the Universe

I still refuse to say 'R-eye-den' though.

'Ray-den' forever!

I still refuse to say 'R-eye-den' though.

'Ray-den' forever!

Did Mortal Kombat get that one wrong as well? Sure that series can't even spell combat right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Annoys me when people call raiden From mgs 2 ray den

I just want to punch them

Advertisement