Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Anyone else experiencing significantly decreased libido on 1mg fin 3 times week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Common side effect experienced by a large minority of finasteride users. Might subside after a while, might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'm on it 3 months now and for sure have experienced times where I find it difficult to get hard and also pretty weak ejaculation (dribbles out).

I'm not sure I can take this for much longer if there's no improvement. Doesn't seem worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was on it for 8 years (5mg divided into 4 so 1.25mg per day)

I went off it to try to have kids and never went back on it.

I had manageable side effects (watery semen,ball ache,nipple pains,man boobs)

Not everyday but often, people need to realise finesteride is a serious drug that alters your hormones.Lads on fb groups saying "nah mate,I'm on it 12 months and no sides,all in your head" haven't a clue.

I was on it 4-5 years before I got any noticeable sides. It might not happen straight away and it might not happen at all but finesteride isn't good for you.

Having said that there are things you can do like reducing the dosage or trying topical.Im not back on it yet but will consider trying some of the above after 2nd )and final ht in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

I actually spoke to my doctor about it and he told me a lot of that is the placebo effect and he assured me that side effects are very rare but ejaculation will be reduced and it was a totally safe drug. I have been on 1 mg a day for a month now and haven't noticed anything as of yet. I actually seem hornier for some reason lol.. I have a mate who has been on it 10 years 1 mg a day too and he told me you dont ejaculate as much but thats it (sperm is reduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Messing with DHT can also affect the reward system in your brain/motivations/satisfaction from doing tasks. DHT does play various roles in your body. Everybody’s brain chemistry is different so changing DHT levels can have with little to no side effects or substantial effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ceolaguscraic

I started on it around a month and a half ago. 3 days a week (M,W,F 1mg) and have noticed my libido and drive has really waned.Barely get sex drive anymore and have to force a w**k. The only reason I began taking it is because most say hair transplants aren't worth it without taking it. Do you think a hair transplant can do a good job without fin?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Short answer: absolutely not! I had a HT about 10 years’ ago (3800 grafts) and didn’t take a medications (fin, min) post op. My native hair receded and the transplanted hair density reduced. Basically, my lack of attention to this means that my next HT will just be trying to supplement my previous HT, and won’t be adding to overall coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

And that is why most reputable HT doctors won't touch a hair on a patient's head until they have been taking Finasteride for at least a year. You shouldn't get a HT if you don't know whether you can or will take Finasteride afterwards, and, whether it will be effective for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

have you reached a stage that i is obvious that you have done a HT procedure? If the native hair has receded further, the HT would become more obvious I would assume.

I am on Fin for the last 10 years. Firsty was on generic fin, then on proscar (1.25mg daily). I do not have any major side effects so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

No, it is not particularly obvious; it just looks like male pattern baldness now. I am on fin and min and am using the dermaroller/shampoo in preparation for my next HT. I’ve being doing this for the last 5 months and notice some improvements in hair density, so a positive sign, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Where do you get your Proscar that you can take 1.25mg daily?

I bought some online from UK when I was there.

Now not sure where to get it here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Proscar? Just pop to your local Lloyds or whatever :)

Pretty sure @zeebre12 was told this about 100 times?

But isn't there different types of Finasteride? Some like webdoctor offer Fintrid.

Webdoctor say Fintrid or Proscar... they give you a prescription and then you can even decide which one you want when you go to pick it up as they the same ingredient essentially.

https://www.webdoctor.ie/pages/hair-loss-finasteride/

Most pharmacies would stock Proscar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I’m a Norwood 7, been speaking with Eugenix for a while, I’d need a donor and beard graft and then body hair at a later point-more than enough body hair for it all tbh 😂

I’m in India for work a bit, very tempted to bite the bullet on it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Just curious if anyone has ever heard much of Low Laser light therapy?

My instant reaction was scepticism but Ive been reading for the last hour about it, mostly clinical trials etc and being going through tonnes of reviews on trust pilot for some brands, I usually like to focus on what the bad ones are saying first. Overall, while its far from a miracle cure it does seem fairly legitimate with a high % of positive reviews.

Im probably a Norwood 3 to 4ish and am not looking for any major changes, just some filling out of the crown. That's probably why its appealing to me.

EDIT: removed specific link

Post edited by wylo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

When it comes to hts and more specifically trustpilot it's best to completely ignore.

I know you're talking about a product rather than a clinic but if a clinic are pushing themselves on trust pilot or referring to it on their site etc I'd run a mile.

• Advertisement

What would worry me about them is that their before/after pics don't look great, I mean specifically the hairlines and how fake they look. Considering that they are supposed to be the results they are showing off then its not a great start. tbf I might be over analysing it a bit, but at first glance one guy nearly looked better with his natural receding hairline.

I bit the bullet and bought one, Ive been basically reading about them for the last day or so and unlike the other seemingly novelty things I am not seeing anything sort of pushing back at these in any strong way, clinical trials seem positive. I will probably eventually get a hair transplant but the only thing that puts me off getting one is the insistence of the good surgeons on taking Finasteride which for me (rightly or wrongly) is a problem. I might create a google drive or something with ongoing pics, could be messy though because I tend to let my hair grow a bit too.

that will be quite a change my friend. Go for it

If you're a Norwood 7 why not first try smp with shaved head? Can always do transplant on top of it after if you aren't happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 expensivefinish

Got 4000 grafts today in Turkey (apparently, I don't think it was that many, am only NW3 and only goes back half of my scalp).

Quite impressed with the clinic, very professional and everything was organised perfectly. English was limited in most nurses but the doctors spoke it and was accompanied by a translator the full time. Guess time will tell on how good it turns out.

Pleasantly surprised that's been no pain yet even after anaesthetic wore off (may be too early for it however).

Who did you do it with? Did you feel much during the procedure? How much was it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 expensivefinish

Got it done with Vera

Nope felt nothing during the procedure thankfully, obviously felt the local anaesthetic injections but nothing more than a few ooh and ahh sounds out of me. Kicks in very quick once it's injected. It wore off then a couple hours after the procedure.

Paid 3250 including the accommodation (also paid an extra 8% on top for paying via card)

I am 2.5 months post-hair transplant.

I can see about 70% of new hair follicles. However, the remaining ~30% is just smooth skin with no sign of hair erupting from underneath the skin.

Is this normal?

• Advertisement

Good to know this. But the clinic guaranteed 90% hair graft survival.

Advertisement