Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

My hair has been thinning for the past five years. Literally no hair grows on the top of my head, I’m only 29 and this is really affecting my confidence! Anyone who has got it done any advice. What’s the procedure like, any pain, results timeframe??? Is turkey the best place to go and what price should I be paying for a good job? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DOD555

Hi all, appreciate all the great advice here but wondering if anyone got it done in the Beacon in Sandyford? Or heard any reviews. Strongly considering getting it done and preference to do it in Ireland. Think I’m about a 5 on the Norwood scale, it’s fairly thin all over the top (very thick on the sides though so good donar areas). Done a free consultation with them a few months ago and they quoted me 7k for 6000-6500 grafts. Rang Blackrock and Dr Nels place and they both said it would be very expensive for that amount of grafts (can’t remember exactly but more than 20k). Going abroad seems like a minefield and don’t really have the time. I see that Growclub place is also starting to do them in Ireland for a fixed fee, anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Would you not just go to turkey and get it for half the price? They’re the experts in hair transplants. All your need is 3 days to go over and come back and saving a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm flying from Istanbul to Dublin soon...Will be interesting to see if any transplant recipients are on board...always wondered how they handle the 4 hour flight. Particularly those with crown implants. Don't think your supposed to put weight on the transplants for a few days, so how to avoid the seat head cushion making contact as the seats are tiny on Turkish airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Haha! They have the highest number of clinics, over a thousand apparently. They also have some fairly lax laws and regulations,you don't even need to be a ht surgeon to preform an op! Turkey is the last place I'd be going,out of all of them the only Turkish doctor I'd go to is Pekinaar and he's the same price as the best surgeons in Europe.

Just to add there are some decent budget options in Turkey like Fuecapilar and mid range ones like HLC but if you're serious about HTs you're looking at Belgium,Spain and Portugal mainly.

• Advertisement

Neck/travel pillow,it won't be an issue.

They sell decent ones at the airport for €39.

Apart from the crick in your neck.

I can actually guarantee even with a pillow it's impossible to keep back of head away from the seat pillow as I've flown on one recently

The limited space doesn't allow for your head to be closer to the seat in front, particularly when food is served.

I observed a few guys on the flight from Istanbul today, they just had huge patches around the back of their heads to lean back on...though I also saw several others on other flights just boarding with bloody donor areas so I dunno

It's likely the leather head cushions on the chairs have some residual dried blood on them though not visible as the seats are dark blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Can't understand why people don't just stay in Turkey for a week or so after the surgery to let it heal a bit before travelling, it's a pretty cheap country so it'd be easy to make a holiday out of it and enjoy relaxing and making sure none of the follicles fall out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I stayed in Budapest for 3 weeks after hair transplant. I wasn't comfortable to travel the following day and the stress associated with it that could potentially effect the follicles. I am very happy with my decision and seeing positive effects now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Plantman747

Hi I am new here! Interested in trying the topical finasteride/minoxidil masterboy123 posted. Just wondering how the addresspal thing works?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

You create an account on AddressPal online.

AddressPal will issue you a unique UK address.

You use this UK address and AddressPal will inform you that they have picked up your package from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DOD555

Thanks. Could you recommend any top surgeons in Belgium, Spain or Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GenericName2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I fly in and out of turkey quite regularly, there’s always a very noticeable amount of HT lads

yeah I noticed about 10 of them on the flight back last Thursday.

Some had bandages on the back to protect the donor area, and others didn't so I'd prefer to have the bandage esp considering you would want to lean your head back on the 5hr flight

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Biffo1991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

One comment I have is that one of the posters you quoted says that the doctor carries out the surgery. Dr. Fotios performs one of the three phases of the surgery, i.e. the incisions. Extraction and implantation of the follicles is done by a technician. I believe their main technician is relatively experienced, and has worked with Dr. Fotios for a number of years.

One patient per day is certainly a good sign, however the results page of their website is quite limited. Any results photos that don't specify the number of grafts bothers me. I don't see any mid-scalp or crown restoration photos. I'd be interested to know what the max number of grafts Dr. Fotios will extract in one session is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Booked a consultation with Dr. Nel there. Just to get his opinion and Min prescription. I presume you can claim back the cost with health insurance?

If he gives me a good overall view I'll be off to Turkey soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone else get very dry skin on their face in the weeks after their transplant? You wanna see the amount of dry/flaky skin on my T-Zone since my HT, never seen anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Dr. Nel is considered a GP afaik, you can claim back GP consultation cost.

You can claim whatever you can get based on your plan. There might be a limit. I think mine allows me to claim up to €100 per visit.

Definitely a plus when considering who to consult with as if you went elsewhere you probably wouldn't be able to claim as the person u speak with may not be a registered GP.

Mine says 75% per visit so I'll get a good chunk back it seems.

Small tip...I edited the receipt logo to take out the subtext reference to "hair restoration " or whatever, so it just looks like a standard receipt from a family gp. Just to remove any possibility of questions being asked :)

Just checked there...so the logo parts I kept were "Dr Andre Nel" and "Clinic" and just painted white over the "hair restoration " part. Sent a jpg of the receipt with those edits and no issues.

Otherwise the insurance may try to claim you were seeing the doctor for cosmetic reasons which may not be covered.

€350 isn't it? Fairly fecking steep. Have you been to see him, if so what was your experience?

It seems to be a requirement to see him if you want an Oral Minoxidil prescription as people on here say they are unable to get prescription from their standard GP.

He's good, but quite defensive when you start asking lots of questions. I think any person working in the hair restoration industry seems to be the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

A week back from Eugenix what a place man when for 3200 graphs and they said they could get 4500 graphs for full coverage. Done over 3 days had been previously been told by a place in Europe (not Turkey) that my donor area was very bad and could only do 2000 graphs They laughed when I told them this and said it was brilliant and couldn't believe I actually had a previous HT done it was so good. The initially were going to take 1000 graphs of my beard but didnt need too. I was so impressed they wanted to do it over 4 days and for me to extend my flight but I didnt want to as it would of cost nearly €700 so they came in early last day to get it finished absolutely class place.

That's in India right? No issues with jet lag or anything? All transport/accomodation was provided?

Wow,that sounds brilliant.

You must be chuffed.Are you documenting it on any of the forums?

Its one I'd be interested to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I decided not to go to Dr Nel to renew my prescription and got oral minoxidil from Alldaychemist instead just to see would it be an option. I was going to go with Dr Nel but I tried to book a renewal appointment for the days I would be up in Dublin recently but they said I would have to give at least a months notice which was a psin in the ass. They couldn't fit me in for a prescription renewal any days I was up in Dublin anyway (I was up in Dublin 4 times in the past 2 months as I got SMP done). I live over 2 hours from Dublin so it's a bit of a trek just for a few minutes to get my oral minoxidil prescription renewed.

Advertisement