Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are women allowed to smoke while pregnant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Sky King wrote: »
    It's when the women start to smoke during sex you should get worried.

The solution of course, is to slow down a bit and use lubricant.

Hahaha
    I haven't laughed out loud at something on boards in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

fatknacker wrote: »
    Why are women even allowed to do anything?

My first thought when I saw the thread title was that the last four words are redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

xzanti wrote: »
    Personally it turns my stomach to see it.

I've heard it said however that the stress of not smoking for the mother could be just as hazardous for the baby as actually smoking.

Who knows
    Doctors!

ZilkyG wrote: »
    Isn't this damaging?

If course it is. But doesn't even register when compared to the damage these knuckle dragging scumbags do to their kids once they're born.

Say a woman doesnt smoke in pregancy, but her husband smokes like a chimney around the kids.
    Is the man smoking around them ok?

Every parent is responsible for taking care of their own children. There are always going to be bad parents.

Of course not. It's carcinogenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sky King wrote: »
    It's when the women start to smoke during sex you should get worried.

The solution of course, is to slow down a bit and use lubricant.

I want to stress here that WD-40 should NEVER be used as a lubricant. Just because people say it's a good penetrating oil for rusted nuts doesn't make it fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

q10akk7n8q5z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so you can kill the foetus but people have a meltdown if you let it enjoy the rich mellow flavour of the finest Virginia tobacco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:Folks, if you want to discuss abortion, there's a post referendum thread there for it.

We're not going down this road anywhere else with this except that thread.

And that thread ONLY!

Buford T. Justice

Edit: this thread is discussing smoking so stay with that on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Why do any of you care? Little lad might have a few issues but who cares. Likelihood is he'll be perfectly ok.

Love to see a pregnant women smoking. Most doctors/scientists are full of ****.

Give that baby a lung full of John Player Blues baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

fatknacker wrote: »
    Why are women even allowed to do anything?

I always feel really sheepish when my Saudi Arabian pal presses me on this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was taking a breather during the birth of my first child, I stepped outside for a smoke during the night. Ended up having a chat to a woman there, as it was night time it was dark, but I could see that she was in jammies. I asked her what she was in for, she told me that she was in labour.
    She took a smoke break while in labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Smoking while pregnant is utter despicable. However banning is unenforceable and so totally pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was taking a breather during the birth of my first child, I stepped outside for a smoke during the night. Ended up having a chat to a woman there, as it was night time it was dark, but I could see that she was in jammies. I asked her what she was in for, she told me that she was in labour.
    She took a smoke break while in labour.

She was only doing the same as you. Maybe she was as addicted as you were?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A friend of mine is a nurse and works in a maternity hospital.

When babies are born to mothers who smoke throughout the pregnancy, the babies cry for hours/days when they’re born. They’re going through cold turkey from the nicotine.

Horrible for the poor babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Love to see a pregnant women smoking. Most doctors/scientists are full of ****.
    It must be nice to feel superior to people who are smarter than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why would people be worried about the damage done?
    Sure, haven't we all be told it's not a baby but a foetus.

Asking for a friend :D

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a nurse and works in a maternity hospital.

When babies are born to mothers who smoke throughout the pregnancy, the babies cry for hours/days when they’re born. They’re going through cold turkey from the nicotine.

Horrible for the poor babies.

Well, that's an utter lie. My Mrs smoked maybe 2 or 3 a day with the last one, I didn't like it, but it was her choice and she was under enough stress with the baby.

The baby barely cried and at 18 months now, she has barely cried and is quite quiet in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well, that's an utter lie. My Mrs smoked maybe 2 or 3 a day with the last one, I didn't like it, but it was her choice and she was under enough stress with the baby.

The baby barely cried and at 18 months now, she has barely cried and is quite quiet in general.

No wonder, she's probably concentrating on lighting one off the other.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Every time I see a pregnant woman drinking or smoking I want to slap that shït right out of her hands. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s not an utter lie, she would have no reason to lie. She’s dealing with this on a daily basis.

At 18 months I’d imagine that a baby would be over the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

volchitsa wrote: »
    She was only doing the same as you. Maybe she was as addicted as you were?

Or maybe she thought it was the best time to start smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Why would people be worried about the damage done?
    Sure, haven't we all be told it's not a baby but a foetus.

Asking for a friend :D

It's only a bundle of cells or a foetus if someone wants to get rid of it.

But its a baby if someone wants to have a child, I never heard any mother say she's in gestation and at the bundle of cells stage, oh now its at foetus stage, not long now and it'll be nearly a baby.

The whole thing confuses me.

Smoking fags while pregnant is definitely not good though.

Or maybe she thought it was the best time to start smoking.

Tobacco companies depend on the fact that most people start when young. It's unusual to start as an adult, and I'd say it's unknown for a pregnant woman to take up smoking.:)

Now, any chance of you discussing the fact that as a prospective father who should presumably stop smoking too, you felt able to post that criticism of someone else who is equally addicted to tobacco, apparently without any self awareness of your own position there whatsoever?

Tobacco companies depend on the fact that most people start when young. It's unusual to start as an adult, and I'd say it's unknown for a pregnant woman to take up smoking.:)

Now, any chance of you discussing the fact that as a prospective father who should presumably stop smoking too, you felt able to post that criticism of someone else who is equally addicted to tobacco, apparently without any self awareness of your own position there whatsoever?

Well, firstly, who said it was a criticism? I was posting an anecdote of a woman smoking whilst not only pregnant, but in labour.
    Secondly, how do you know I am not aware of my addiction and levels of addiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone I knew who was smoking while breastfeeding said she managed to stop when she was pregnant..was sure that what she was doing was damaging, but not the willpower..

Well, firstly, who said it was a criticism? I was posting an anecdote of a woman smoking whilst not only pregnant, but in labour.
    Secondly, how do you know I am not aware of my addiction and levels of addiction?

Seems like a criticism to me, especially in the context of this thread.

And I'm sure you are aware of your addiction, but all I can say is your post reads like "OMG almost giving birth and she was still smoking" while your own presence there is just "well I went out for a smoke as you do".

I just find that disconnect typical of the attitude of a number (not all) of male posters of the thread. Smoking is an addiction, and being pregnant doesn't necessarily make it easier to stop.

Maybe we should ban cigarettes for all if we really want to protect the unborn?
    (I don't smoke, so it's easy for me, I know - but OTOH I do try not to criticise one group of nicotine addicts over others).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Knew someone who was in the same boat and the doctor thought it best not to force her to stop. It's really not ideal but was a judgement call. Her kids turned out absolutely fine.

Seems like a criticism to me, especially in the context of this thread.

And I'm sure you are aware of your addiction, but all I can say is your post reads like "OMG almost giving birth and she was still smoking" while your own presence there is just "well I went out for a smoke as you do".

I just find that disconnect typical of the attitude of a number (not all) of male posters of the thread. Smoking is an addiction, and being pregnant doesn't necessarily make it easier to stop.

Maybe we should ban cigarettes for all if we really want to protect the unborn?
    (I don't smoke, so it's easy for me, I know - but OTOH I do try not to criticise one group of nicotine addicts over others).

It wasn't a criticism and it was not a gender stereotype and I'm completely aware of the difficulties that people have breaking addiction.
    Smoking is f*cking stupid full stop. I was a f*cking idiot for smoking, I know that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Seems like a criticism to me

OH NO!!! NOT CRITICISM???!!!

Advertisement