Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are women allowed to smoke while pregnant?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Speaking from experience of having the other half doing this during the 9mths, 4times - I didn't like it but you know what it was her choice and to take that away from her we'd be living in a Saudi Arabian like society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

MrFresh wrote: »
    I'd like to see some civil suits brought by children affected by women who smoke, drink or do drugs while pregnant. There should also be a big information campaign about the potential side effects on children so nobody is in any doubt what they are doing.

I would like to see mandatory nude Saturday's on Grafton Street.

Looking forward to parents letting their 6 year old kids know that they feel guilty because they suspect that 6 years before their adolescence commences they may be the victim of an old wives tale.

" Don't worry baby, only another 12 years until you can sue my sorry ass"

" mummy I hate you so much, if you didn't smoke I would be a good looking and a brunette, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you "

Can the afflicted children apply for free legal aid immediately or should they wait until they can successfully divorce their parents when they become 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

It's keeps the baby small so less chance of a tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I would like to see mandatory nude Saturday's on Grafton Street.

Looking forward to parents letting their 6 year old kids know that they feel guilty because they suspect that 6 years before their adolescence commences they may be the victim of an old wives tale.

" Don't worry baby, only another 12 years until you can sue my sorry ass"

" mummy I hate you so much, if you didn't smoke I would be a good looking and a brunette, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you "

Can the afflicted children apply for free legal aid immediately or should they wait until they can successfully divorce their parents when they become 18?

I take it you've never heard of foetal alcohol syndrome. It's hardly an old wives tale.

I take it you've never heard of foetal alcohol syndrome. It's hardly an old wives tale.

As it happens I haven't, thanks for the update. Are you my dad by any chance? I don't actually know, mum won't tell me who my dad is. I want to sue that bastard for being an alco, Mummy says she never smoked ever and that she only drinks vodka at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Just try and stop her, especially if you happen to be a man.

As it happens I haven't, thanks for the update. Are you my dad by any chance? I don't actually know, mum won't tell me who my dad is. I want to sue that bastard for being an alco, Mummy says she never smoked ever and that she only drinks vodka at Christmas.

That's some response to being wrong. Maybe you should look into f.a.s. a bit more.

That's some response to being wrong. Maybe you should look into f.a.s. a bit more.

Looking forward to the supreme court debating the change up of the constitution to disable women taking drugs, drinking and/or smoking while pregnant. Sublime suggestion btw. Your a solicitors' wet dream.

Any other ground breaking social norms you would like to enforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because cigarettes make too much money for the gubbermint and the powerful people connected to it, so banning them outright or enforcing smoking bans, even on pregnant women, will be detrimental to their bank balances.

This, smoking as well as causing untold misery to people, families puts a gigantic burden on the health system.

There is no compelling argument for allowing smoking. It is a product mass produced that can kill you, diminish your quality of life, burden you, your family, cause financial difficulty and the manufacturers of this product design it with ingredients that make it hard to give up its addictive quality.

A responsible government or a gang thereof ie. The EU could if they wanted to... ban it, but no. It’s an easy target as a revenue maker, but it needs to be, based on what it’s costing the state, ie. US

Looking forward to the supreme court debating the change up of the constitution to disable women taking drugs, drinking and/or smoking while pregnant. Sublime suggestion btw. Your a solicitors' wet dream.

Any other ground breaking social norms you would like to enforce?

Why would the SC be disabling women taking drugs while pregnant? What does that even mean?

• Advertisement

Why would the SC be disabling women taking drugs while pregnant? What does that even mean?

Looking forward to victims of foetal alcohol syndrome surviving on the compensatory blood they procure from a stone.... Or who do you suggest pays for it? That's of course assuming that mummy can't afford the payout, unless she takes out a pre-conception insurance policy? Any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Del2005 wrote: »
    What about the baby they are growing, does that not get a choice? Do you think that smoking around others is OK? Because smoking while pregnant is forcing another person to smoke.

It's not a baby, it's a clump of cells. We had a vote on it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's not a baby, it's a clump of cells. We had a vote on it recently.

Ooohh this should be good.. better than that super 8's ****e...

Looking forward to victims of foetal alcohol syndrome surviving on the compensatory blood they procure from a stone.... Or who do you suggest pays for it? That's of course assuming that mummy can't afford the payout, unless she takes out a pre-conception insurance policy? Any thoughts?

Courts can decide what is fair if they agree with the case. There's unlikely to be many social welfare recipients before the courts but all it takes is one case to send a ripple. Sure people stopped vaccinating their kids based on less.

Courts can decide what is fair if they agree with the case. There's unlikely to be many social welfare recipients before the courts but all it takes is one case to send a ripple. Sure people stopped vaccinating their kids based on less.

Your bang on here.... You are all over this argument in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

xzanti wrote: »
    Personally it turns my stomach to see it.

I've heard it said however that the stress of not smoking for the mother could be just as hazardous for the baby as actually smoking.

Who knows.

Oh, the doctors know. What you're saying you heard is nothing more than an old wives tale promulgated by smoking addicts. https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/answers-8-common-questions-about-smoking-and-pregnancy is one of many places talking about smoking and pregnancy. Summary: quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When my ex worked in pubs she used to refuse to serve booze to pregnant women. A lot of heated conversations were had. She revels in conflict though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You may as well be asking why are women allowed to have babies at all if they don't have the means to look after them and will obviously be unfit parents?
    It's an age old question.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Damn patriarchy trying to stop a health risk to children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

volchitsa wrote: »
    So having tried to ban breastfeeding women from the public sphere, the OP now wants to control pregnant women.

Given the direction he's headed, will his next OP suggest women shouldn't be allowed to use contraception without the man's permission? Or shouldn't be allowed to refuse sex to a man?

Blessed be the fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Igotadose wrote: »
    Oh, the doctors know. What you're saying you heard is nothing more than an old wives tale promulgated by smoking addicts. https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/answers-8-common-questions-about-smoking-and-pregnancy is one of many places talking about smoking and pregnancy. Summary: quit.

Nevertheless, I have a friend who was told by her doctor to smoke up to five cigarettes a day after first trying to stop during pregnancy and suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms.

I wasn't there, so maybe she was lying, but I doubt it. TBF this was before vaping became commonplace, so perhaps nowadays she'd have been told to vape (which she does now anyway) - but it's not completely an old wives' tale.

Blessed be the fruit.

May the Lord open. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When I was pregnant with my first there was a smoking room provided for inpatients. How times have changed.

You may as well be asking why are women allowed to have babies at all if they don't have the means to look after them and will obviously be unfit parents?
    It's an age old question.

Bloody women, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its a free country.
    while a stupid and reckless thing to do it is their body and their fetus.
    if they damage a future kid then let them deal with it then at their expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Those E cigs are grand though so no harm being done.
    I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't agree with smoking while pregnant (for what it's worth, I'm neither a mother or a smoker) but asking why women are 'allowed' to smoke while pregnant?

How exactly do you plan to police them OP?

Lock em up in incubator facilities to ensure all the rules are followed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Why are they allowed murder their unborn babies also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Del2005 wrote:
    What about the baby they are growing, does that not get a choice? Do you think that smoking around others is OK? Because smoking while pregnant is forcing another person to smoke.
    Say a woman doesnt smoke in pregancy, but her husband smokes like a chimney around the kids.
    Is the man smoking around them ok?

Every parent is responsible for taking care of their own children. There are always going to be bad parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

volchitsa wrote: »
    May the Lord open. :)

May the Lord open a packet of J. P. Blues or B&H. Marlborough at push. Inhale and Praise Be.

Advertisement