Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The county with the worst drivers in Ireland has been revealed

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The first sign of bias was the survey the thread refers to.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. I would guess that when your not used to urban driving and specific road layouts it can be a bit intimidating and those who zoom through appear reckless.
    I live in a rural town now and its ridiculous how many people don't seem to know when to give way or when they have right of way when there is an obstacle or how to use lanes and indicators at roundabouts.

tbf, Donegal has gotten a bad rap in the last number of years; crap roads coupled with crap weather and to make things worse a boy racer culture.

Cork at third and being the largest county is hardly a surprise.

Drove Cork to Donegal and Cork to Derry last year different routes every way (I get lost easily) and the worst road was west Cork to the city. I thought the Donegal roads were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. QUOTE]

Sorry, unless you have a survey to back that up then what you think is immaterial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anything DL or CN reg I avoid on the road as if it's going to burst into flames at any second.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. QUOTE]

Sorry, unless you have a survey to back that up then what you think is immaterial.

I just carried one out and 100% of respondents agreed with me!!!

Come on though I live in a rural area far higher percentage of shocking drivers who will pull out in front of oncoming traffic and meander up the road on their way home from mass. Some people just don't leave the neighborhood - that person in a city is likely to experience a far wider variety of traffic and road conditions then someone in a more isolated area and improve because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

joe40 wrote: »
    How this survey made national newspapers is beyond me. They seem to have asked people's opinion/perception on drivers from other counties with no actual evidence whatsoever.

Because they know idiots like us will be talking about it for this very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ask a load of culchies who they think are the worst at anything and they're going to come back with dem bleedin Dubs.

Sure most Dubs don't even own a car or know how to drive! Can you imagine depending on packed smelly buses as your main form of transport! And(wait for it) they think that they are smarter than us!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The survey means nothing and is based on peoples opinions. There is not one shred of evidence to back up the claims.

I conducted a survey in the office where I work and even though we are all from Donegal we came to the conclusion that drivers from Wexford are the worst ever. Its not based on anything, we just felt that the people of wexford never get recognition for anything so were voting for them. The results of my survey are as valid as those by the Indo...so there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tbf, Donegal has gotten a bad rap in the last number of years; crap roads coupled with crap weather and to make things worse a boy racer culture.

Cork at third and being the largest county is hardly a surprise.

Donegal has a higher proportion of deaths in recent years but the line about crap roads is rubbish. I would go as far to say that the roads in Donegal are considerably better than those in Dublin which are absolutely dreadful. I would hate to have to live in Dublin and drive on them every day, you cant drive 1km without hitting countless divets and humps from poorly repaired roads after they were dug up for water/phone/rail/whatever services. I hate driving in Dublin for that reason. I don't have that shíte to contend with here in Donegal, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I would hate to have to live in Dublin and drive on them every day, you cant drive 1km without hitting countless divets and humps from poorly repaired roads after they were dug up for water/phone/rail/whatever services. I hate driving in Dublin for that reason. I don't have that shíte to contend with here in Donegal, thankfully.

Yes, the absence of water, phone, rail and whatever services in Donegal makes life a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Any Dubliners unfortunate enough to hit the M50 on big GAA match days must wryly chuckle at the fact it's their driving that's coming in for criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

As someone fromone of the counties with the supposed best drivers, living in the county with the supposed worst drivers, I can honestly say that the worst drivers I encounter tend to be driving LH reg cars.

Never understood why - but over many years of driving up and down the M4/N4 I seem to have encountered a disproportionate number of idiots with LH cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Ask a load of culchies who they think are the worst at anything and they're going to come back with dem bleedin Dubs.
    It's a silly survey but calling people "culchies" isn't exactly going to engender love and affection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I suppose in fairness to Donegal they have the worst roads also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Donegal has a higher proportion of deaths in recent years but the line about crap roads is rubbish. I would go as far to say that the roads in Donegal are considerably better than those in Dublin which are absolutely dreadful. I would hate to have to live in Dublin and drive on them every day, you cant drive 1km without hitting countless divets and humps from poorly repaired roads after they were dug up for water/phone/rail/whatever services. I hate driving in Dublin for that reason. I don't have that shíte to contend with here in Donegal, thankfully.

You haven't been driving Letterkenny to Lifford for the last few months! :D

But aside from that road, I agree the roads probably aren't much worse that any other rural county. For me, driving in Dublin is a bloodsport, with all their bus lanes compressing cars into single lanes at rush hour and the desperation that engenders in drivers to get the hell out of the traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Galway City

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Any Dubliners unfortunate enough to hit the M50 on big GAA match days must wryly chuckle at the fact it's their driving that's coming in for criticism.

It must be an eye opener for the Dubs on those days alright. They are so used to their 'Stepford wives' manner of crawling along and then our boys come up and zig zag in and out and get on up the road ahead of them, whoa ha!

Vita nova wrote: »
    It's a silly survey but calling people "culchies" isn't exactly going to engender love and affection.

Damn right!, we're Red necks and proud of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You are being kidded if you think that salaries in Dublin are significantly higher than in rural Ireland. To use your Belmullet analogy, an electrician, Doctor, accountant, minimum wage guy,etc, in Belmullet will earn the very same as his equivalent in Dublin.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to argue that one.:confused:

Advertisement