Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The county with the worst drivers in Ireland has been revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Survey has been renamed to "name a county you think about".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. The driving test in Ireland is 100% wrong. It should include motorway driving.

Got my licence in The Netherlands and was taught completely differently to here.

No learner licence or family members teaching you to drive in a car park.

You have to get all lessons from a fully qualified teacher in a dual controlled car.

Also, all driving instructors are tested every year, if they fail they cannot teach anymore.

In The Netherlands, do you get to clearly demonstrate in your test that you're an appalling driver, and then get to legally drive home from said test?

As regards the survey. I genuinely am a very courteous driver - around county and town roads - but when I get to Dublin, I take on a whole new drivers personality. You have to fight your corner in Dublin much more when in busy traffic. Especially against bus drivers. Yeah, them bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

It's the northerners that are giving Donegal the bad name

: Donegal is the most northern part of Ireland and its in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Worst drivers - everyone but me
    Let's make driving great again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This thread really isn't about driving standards.

Its about the petty anti-Dublin bias that exists throughout the country.

Its getting tired to be honest, I don't really care any more. If you want to spend your life whingeing, so be it.

• Advertisement

Not in the least bit surprised it's the Dubs. They spend so much time in traffic that they hardly get much time to improve their driving. Add in the fact that they if they are dumb enough to pay more for just about everything in Dublin then they are unlikely to be very smart behind the wheel!

Charming.

Prices are higher in Dublin because salaries are higher. Simple, and the same the world over.

Prices in London are higher than Dublin, salaries are higher in London than Dublin.

Prices in Belmullet are higher than in Mogadishu, salaries in Belmullet are higher than in Mogadishu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Paleblood wrote: »
    Learner drivers aren't taught or tested on motorways. Hogging the middle lane on the M50 isn't an obvious wrong when you've never been told any different.

For any recently qualified drivers, your education doesn't stop with your full license. Get an instructor to give you a few lessons on the motorway. It could save your life.

Not when you are instructed to "Keep Left." Motorways are not all that big a deal. You get the same behaviour issues on dual carriageways. Pinning it on motorways just ignores that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What time is your mother hurling at this evening?

Not sure, I think it might be around the same time your father is due at the methadone clinic!

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Charming.

Prices are higher in Dublin because salaries are higher. Simple, and the same the world over.

Prices in London are higher than Dublin, salaries are higher in London than Dublin.

Prices in Belmullet are higher than in Mogadishu, salaries in Belmullet are higher than in Mogadishu.

You are being kidded if you think that salaries in Dublin are significantly higher than in rural Ireland. To use your Belmullet analogy, an electrician, Doctor, accountant, minimum wage guy,etc, in Belmullet will earn the very same as his equivalent in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Barely. And I know where I'd rather live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Neither a hurling stronghold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Glenster wrote: »
    Survey has been renamed to "name a county you think about".

"Which county do you dislike most"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I am very rarely driving in Dublin, Donegal or Cork yet I steel manage to meet plenty of dunces on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tbf, Donegal has gotten a bad rap in the last number of years; crap roads coupled with crap weather and to make things worse a boy racer culture.

Cork at third and being the largest county is hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Driving in Dublin is very different to driving a twisty R-Road in the countryside.
    I think driving in rural areas is more dangerous, and the road deaths statistics probably reflect this.

osarusan wrote: »
    Neither a hurling stronghold.

You could add Dublin to that!

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    Driving in Dublin is very different to driving a twisty R-Road in the countryside.
    I think driving in rural areas is more dangerous, and the road deaths statistics probably reflect this.
    Well if you're crawling around Dublin at 30km in heavy traffic then obviously the death statistics will be low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

This thread really isn't about driving standards.

Its about the petty anti-Dublin bias that exists throughout the country.

Its getting tired to be honest, I don't really care any more. If you want to spend your life whingeing, so be it.

The first sign of any type of bias in this thread started with a Dub having a dig at us savages driving on mud roads. That set the tempo for what followed.

The first sign of any type of bias in this thread started with a Dub having a dig at us savages driving on mud roads. That set the tempo for what followed.

The first sign of bias was the survey the thread refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How  this survey made national newspapers is beyond me. They seem to have asked people's opinion/perception on drivers from other counties with no actual evidence whatsoever.
    How do they know where drivers are from. Plenty of D reg cars are not driven by Dubliners.

Why do Donegal drivers get such a bad rep. I have driven in plenty of counties and the driving in Donegal is no better or worse than anywhere else. Plenty of counties have their boy racers.

The suggestion that Sligo/Leitrim drivers are different to Donegal drivers is just silly.
    Counties are just lines on a map there is no cultural differences based on counties.
    There may be issues in relation to Urban versus rural driver behaviour but not on counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

The first sign of bias was the survey the thread refers to.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. I would guess that when your not used to urban driving and specific road layouts it can be a bit intimidating and those who zoom through appear reckless.
    I live in a rural town now and its ridiculous how many people don't seem to know when to give way or when they have right of way when there is an obstacle or how to use lanes and indicators at roundabouts.

tbf, Donegal has gotten a bad rap in the last number of years; crap roads coupled with crap weather and to make things worse a boy racer culture.

Cork at third and being the largest county is hardly a surprise.

Drove Cork to Donegal and Cork to Derry last year different routes every way (I get lost easily) and the worst road was west Cork to the city. I thought the Donegal roads were excellent.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. QUOTE]

Sorry, unless you have a survey to back that up then what you think is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anything DL or CN reg I avoid on the road as if it's going to burst into flames at any second.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think rural drivers tend to be far far worse then urban ones. QUOTE]

Sorry, unless you have a survey to back that up then what you think is immaterial.

I just carried one out and 100% of respondents agreed with me!!!

Come on though I live in a rural area far higher percentage of shocking drivers who will pull out in front of oncoming traffic and meander up the road on their way home from mass. Some people just don't leave the neighborhood - that person in a city is likely to experience a far wider variety of traffic and road conditions then someone in a more isolated area and improve because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

joe40 wrote: »
    How this survey made national newspapers is beyond me. They seem to have asked people's opinion/perception on drivers from other counties with no actual evidence whatsoever.

Because they know idiots like us will be talking about it for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ask a load of culchies who they think are the worst at anything and they're going to come back with dem bleedin Dubs.

Sure most Dubs don't even own a car or know how to drive! Can you imagine depending on packed smelly buses as your main form of transport! And(wait for it) they think that they are smarter than us!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The survey means nothing and is based on peoples opinions. There is not one shred of evidence to back up the claims.

I conducted a survey in the office where I work and even though we are all from Donegal we came to the conclusion that drivers from Wexford are the worst ever. Its not based on anything, we just felt that the people of wexford never get recognition for anything so were voting for them. The results of my survey are as valid as those by the Indo...so there.

Advertisement