Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The county with the worst drivers in Ireland has been revealed

Options
  • 04-04-2017 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Almost half of people here ranked Dubliners as the worst drivers in Ireland, according to a new survey.

Trailing in second place were Donegal motorists, with 19.25 per cent of people naming them the Ireland's dodgiest drivers, Cork came third, 5.34pc.

Meanwhile the survey indicates people think rural drivers are better, just 0.26pc of those surveyed said people from Sligo and Leitrim were the worst behind the wheel.

Over 20pc of people also described themselves as at least occasional cyclists.

The results of the survey of more than 7,000 was released by AA Ireland.That would be the motoring organisation not the alcoholic one :)
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-county-with-the-worst-drivers-in-ireland-has-been-revealed-35588424.html

So the Dubs are the worst followed by Donegal & Cork & us rural drivers are better. Well I am a little surprised not by the Dubs been the worse but that they have Cars in Leitrim :D

What you all think Ah ? Who in your opinion is the worst drivers in the Country ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Your ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Paleblood wrote: »
    Your ma.

Unfortuanlly my mother is dead, And alas she couldn't drive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Heard this on the radio yesterday and doubted it from the start. Its a survey, so its useless. Motoring offences per capita would have had some actual validity. Fake news, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would have thought Dubliners would be the best having actual experience of driving on solid concrete roads not mud tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I would have thought Dubliners would be the best having actual experience of driving on solid concrete roads not mud tracks

:D:D:D I shall just stop me tractor & get me popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Almost half of people here ranked Dubliners as the worst drivers in Ireland, according to a new survey.

How do they know where the drivers are from?

Unfortuanlly my mother is dead, And alas she couldn't drive at all.

Well that worked out well for me!

To answer your question, I'd probably say the Dubs. It's not necessarily that they're bad. In fact I'm sure they're fine when they're enjoying a relaxing spin around the country. But they can't drive in their own city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Heard this on the radio yesterday and doubted it from the start. Its a survey, so its useless. Motoring offences per capita would have had some actual validity. Fake news, as they say.

Surveys are a load of opinionated ****e. This would be a lot better and actually mean something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

A lot of faith is being put into that survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A survey where the rest of the country gets to pick Dublin as being the worst at something, yeah that's objective........

Korvanica wrote: »
    Surveys are a load of opinionated ****e. This would be a lot better and actually mean something.

I agree, but that would still only tell part of the story. People don't get convicted of a driving offence for not knowing how a roundabout works, for having no courtesy toward other road users or for just generally being a pain in the ass.

VinLieger wrote: »
    A survey where the rest of the country gets to pick Dublin as being the worst at something, yeah that's objective........

Yeah, but when you go to see a band and the singer says "hello Dublin", at least you're actually in Dublin. You can't have it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Patww79 wrote: »

I reckon it's down to numbers really. More drivers in Dublin. More chances for shít driving to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Trailing in second place were Donegal motorists, with 19.25 per cent of people naming them the Ireland's dodgiest drivers, Cork came third, 5.34pc.

Meanwhile the survey indicates people think rural drivers are better, just 0.26pc of those surveyed said people from Sligo and Leitrim were the worst behind the wheel.

Over 20pc of people also described themselves as at least occasional cyclists.

The results of the survey of more than 7,000 was released by AA Ireland.That would be the motoring organisation not the alcoholic one :)
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-county-with-the-worst-drivers-in-ireland-has-been-revealed-35588424.html

So the Dubs are the worst followed by Donegal & Cork & us rural drivers are better. Well I am a little surprised not by the Dubs been the worse but that they have Cars in Leitrim :D

What you all think Ah ? Who in your opinion is the worst drivers in the Country ?

Not in the least bit surprised it's the Dubs. They spend so much time in traffic that they hardly get much time to improve their driving. Add in the fact that they if they are dumb enough to pay more for just about everything in Dublin then they are unlikely to be very smart behind the wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I reckon it's down to numbers really. More drivers in Dublin. More chances for shít driving to occur.

More like more people around the rest of the country like to paint Dublin as the bad guy as much as possible. The usual outside the pale chip on shoulder syndrome

Add in the fact that they if they are dumb enough to pay more for just about everything in Dublin then they are unlikely to be very smart behind the wheel!

What time is your mother hurling at this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

"Worse" in different ways I suppose, Dublin drivers would probably be considered less accommodating and more self serving; everyone is in a rush and will do whatever they need to get to their destination, at expense of pissing people off.

Drinking driving laws seem to be considered more of a suggestion than a rule to many people living in the north west, and insurance an option, which would probably give a good indicator as to why Donegal are so high on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

More like more people around the rest of the country like to paint Dublin as the bad guy as much as possible. The usual outside the pale chip on shoulder syndrome

How is calling someone a bad driver painting them a bad guy

Have a bit of chill.....I doubt it's anyway serious a study and just a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I doubt the usefulness of this survey. Does it take into account the huge difference between driving in Dublin and driving down a tiny potholed boreen road in rural Ireland?

Edit: Oh, it really is a load of nonsense. The actual worse drivers in Ireland hasn't been revealed, just people's opinions of who they are. So, in other words, a load of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Up there with the most meaningless surveys ever. 9/10 cats have said so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I see horrendus driving all the time in Dublin. I doubt fcuk Dublin has much to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Patww79 wrote: »

It's the northerners that are giving Donegal the bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

County with largest population found to have worst drivers shocker.

Poor article.

Driving in Ireland is appalling.

If you think there are slow and fast lanes on motorways you're a bad driver.

If you think you can join a motorway at any speed you like you're a bad driver. You should be joining at 100-120kph if the traffic is moving that fast.

Worse again if you think you're suppose to ignore a slip lane and just wait at bottom of a road for traffic to clear to join a dual carriageway you're a bad driver.

If you think staying in the middle lane on the M50 or M7 or any three lane motorway is ok then you're a bad driver.

If you think it's ok to accelerate to beat an amber light you're a bad driver.

If you use your phone in any way whilst driving you're a bad driver.

If you think it's OK to pull in to the hard shoulder for a smoke, phone call or a break then you're a bad driver.

If you think it's ok to join an exit lane at the last moment you're a bad driver. Get into the exit lane at the start.

If you think tailgating is ok you're a bad driver.

I could go on and on and on. No doubt nobody here will admit to doing any of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Reads thread title. Mutter to self " Dubliners". Opens thread. Well I'll be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

murpho999 wrote: »

If you think you can join a motorway at any speed you like you're a bad driver. You should be joining at 100-120kph if the traffic is moving that fast.

Worse again if you think you're suppose to ignore a slip lane and just wait at bottom of a road for traffic to clear to join a dual carriageway you're a bad driver.

If you think staying in the middle lane on the M50 or M7 or any three lane motorway is ok then you're a bad driver.

If you think it's OK to pull in to the hard shoulder for a smoke, phone call or a break then you're a bad driver.

If you think it's ok to join an exit lane at the last moment you're a bad driver. Get into the exit lane at the start.

Are you me?

One to add to the list. When switching lanes to the passing lane on the motorway you need to do more than just put on your indicator and move.

murpho999 wrote: »
    County with largest population found to have worst drivers shocker.

Poor article.

Driving in Ireland is appalling.

I could go on and on and on. No doubt nobody here will admit to doing any of these things.

Learner drivers aren't taught or tested on motorways. Hogging the middle lane on the M50 isn't an obvious wrong when you've never been told any different.

For any recently qualified drivers, your education doesn't stop with your full license. Get an instructor to give you a few lessons on the motorway. It could save your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

murpho999 wrote:

I've seen threads where middle lane idiots actually defend their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Paleblood wrote: »
    Learner drivers aren't taught or tested on motorways. Hogging the middle lane on the M50 isn't an obvious wrong when you've never been told any different.

For any recently qualified drivers, your education doesn't stop with your full license. Get an instructor to give you a few lessons on the motorway. It could save your life.

Agree 100%. The driving test in Ireland is 100% wrong. It should include motorway driving.

Got my licence in The Netherlands and was taught completely differently to here.

No learner licence or family members teaching you to drive in a car park.

You have to get all lessons from a fully qualified teacher in a dual controlled car.

Also, all driving instructors are tested every year, if they fail they cannot teach anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Winterlong wrote: »
    Are you me?

One to add to the list. When switching lanes to the passing lane on the motorway you need to do more than just put on your indicator and move.

or move and then indicate as I regularly see.

Advertisement