Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyway maybe taught these climate scientists are just earning a crust so cant say anything different. Probably get back handers off electric car manufacturers. I think is all nonsense.

Sounds like youve got them sussed alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Well to have a different opinion to the bandwagon one is allowed. Nobody knows really. Alot where saying come 2000 midnight they be mayhem with computers. Nothing. Scientists said butter bad now its it good. This stuff is not proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I suppose you only buy second hand clothes or eco friendly ones or as you as guilty as the people who want these systems to change? How about we are all just assigned a set of clothes every year by the government or would that be too commie for you? I love how you all love to point out hypocrisies but scoff at any other ideas. Personally i wouldnt care if we all wore potato sacks, but if i tried that alone id be ostracised

So basically, what you are saying is that your pride is more important than the climate change?? You have literally zero conviction in your beliefs if that is the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Seamai wrote: »
    Living on an island on the edge of Europe our options are more limited, if I lived on mainland Europe I'd be using trains much more, there's no excuse for the dozens, if not hundreds of air routes that would be quicker to travel by train, particularly when you factor in the amount of time getting to an airport at least an hour minimum before a flight and the security involve, for examples it's possible to fly from Naples to Rome, a high speed train does the same journey centre to centre in an hour, Munich to Frankfurt, Brussels to Paris, Vienna to Budapest, even London to Paris is quicker by train, the list goes on and on, why are people continuing to fly on these routes?

You see, you all talk about how important the climate is yet you constantly come up with excuses "our transport options are limited" etc.

If you cared so much about the environment, the only option you'd care about is saving the planet so pussy footing and selective taxes which do nothing is pointless and hypocritical.

You just don't want your quality of life reduced, admit it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Amazing the affect propaganda is having on people.

No wonder everyone is depressed nowadays when you tell them the world is ****ed and your kids are going to die a painful death.

• Advertisement

So basically, what you are saying is that your pride is more important than the climate change?? You have literally zero conviction in your beliefs if that is the case.

I want to be able to function in society, not to be an outcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

lleti wrote: »
    Amazing the affect propaganda is having on people.

No wonder everyone is depressed nowadays when you tell them the world is ****ed and your kids are going to die a painful death.

The truth is that we will carry on like before.

Even a light understanding of human history show that there have always been existential threats hanging over us and even the worst of wars, famines, and diseases have not brought us down. Through history there have also been people predicting that the end is nigh to make themselves seem knowledgeable and important. This eco-madness thing isn't new in history - it is merely the latest doomsday cult in a long line of them.

I want to be able to function in society, not to be an outcast.

So you don't see this as an emergency? Thats fair enough, maybe lay off on the preaching if you refuse to do anything yourself because, like a teenager following the group, you don't want to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well to have a different opinion to the bandwagon one is allowed. Nobody knows really. Alot where saying come 2000 midnight they be mayhem with computers. Nothing. Scientists said butter bad now its it good. This stuff is not proven.
    Y2K doesn't belong here. Y2K did happen in a very limited way in very limited locations. It was all the effort and money that went into avoiding it that did the trick.

So you don't see this as an emergency? Thats fair enough, maybe lay off on the preaching if you refuse to do anything yourself because, like a teenager following the group, you don't want to be different.

Where have i preached? I havent had red meat in a year, im nearly 40 and never owned a car, i cycle to work, try not to buy things i dont need. I try to eat local food or at least from the EU. If we all made some changes the world would be a better place. You just are unwilling to change in any way are you?

• Advertisement

Where have i preached? I havent had red meat in a year, im nearly 40 and never owned a car, i cycle to work, try not to buy things i dont need. I try to eat local food or at least from the EU. If we all made some changes the world would be a better place. You just are unwilling to change in any way are you?

None whatsoever. I don't believe that human behaviour has as much effect on the climate as people believe.

None whatsoever. I don't believe that human behaviour has as much effect on the climate as people believe.

So you dont think we consume too much and can keep destroying the earth and growing forever? Luckily not everyone is like you.

So you dont think we consume too much and can keep destroying the earth and growing forever? Luckily not everyone is like you.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddd here's the preaching back. :rolleyes:

As the great late Dublin naturalist Lugs Brannigan once said
    “When the last tree is cut down, the last fisheaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”

i.e. if we keep doing what we are doing therell be nothing left

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddd here's the preaching back. :rolleyes:

Its a question where am i preaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Well to have a different opinion to the bandwagon one is allowed. Nobody knows really. Alot where saying come 2000 midnight they be mayhem with computers. Nothing.... This stuff is not proven.

Y2K is a perfect example of how a massive effort by governments and corporations can make a difference. The reason little happened with Y2K is because billions was spent on solving the problem, not because the problem was exaggerated. Even with that they still grounded most flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

As the great late Dublin naturalist Lugs Brannigan once said

i.e. if we keep doing what we are doing therell be nothing left
    Let nature take its course

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good on them. This protest is very timely

Good on them. This protest is very timely

Just not timely enough for you to bother joining them, eh?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,514 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

AlanG wrote: »
    Y2K is a perfect example of how a massive effort by governments and corporations can make a difference. The reason little happened with Y2K is because billions was spent on solving the problem, not because the problem was exaggerated. Even with that they still grounded most flights.

Indeed. That was one of those things where, if you do your job correctly and avert the crisis, people will cry 'see! there was no crisis! it was all over exaggerated!'

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Advertisement

Just not timely enough for you to bother joining them, eh?? :rolleyes:

I’m giving them as much support as I can. Online support and spiritual support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I’m giving them as much support as I can. Online support and spiritual support

Thoughts and prayers......lol.

Thoughts and prayers......lol.

Not so much prayers but good vibes being sent their way yes

I can tell ya as we all do our daily tasks and toils around this little gem of an island there’s loads of ppl giving them thoughts and just good intentions quietly while getting on with their daily life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I can tell ya as we all do our daily tasks and toils around this little gem of an island there’s loads of ppl giving them thoughts and just good intentions quietly while getting on with their daily life

Sorry I can't take you seriously at all. You're funny even if that is not your intention. Keep it up. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Whataboutery really. We all need to eat less meat and fly less, I say this as someone flying home tomorrow.

Why don't you stay there and help lessen our carbon emissions. ;)

Well we don't all need beef and dairy to stay alive.

Ah yes go for soya instead.
    Remind me again how much soya is grown in Ireland :rolleyes:
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Well I never actually said destroy or wreck the farming business and if we are to tackle climate change we can have no sacred cows. I see your a farmer actually/grew up on one so I now understand why you were waiting on this one.

Look at the harm that pesticides do to the local environment and particularly how it contributes to food stock.

You either want change on a societal level or you don't. Nothing worse than the nut bags who are borderline climate deniers and only want to do something as long as its not their hobby horse.

Did I ever say that farming is perfect or that there does need to be improvements ?
    Pesticides/insecticides are a problem, and that all comes from the issue of trying to attain high yields and cheap prices.

Ultimately people are paying too little for their food.
    See how food prices have not increased relative to production costs over time.

And did I ever deny that there is climate change ?

Don't try and come the smart**se trying to attribute things to me that I never said or wrote.

If anything farmers and people of a farming background are some of those most tuned into how climate and weather patterns have already changed over the decades.
    The difference between when I was a child in the 70s and today is huge in terms of weather patterns and overall climate.

But no according to some the only ones that know about that are some scientists and the environmentalist elite ar**holes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Except for the ppl who can't get on with their daily lives due to disruption.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Except for the ppl who can't get on with their daily lives due to disruption.

I’ve already said umpteen Times I’m not in favor of disrupting joe and Josephine soap if using public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

thoughtsprayers-690x460.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I’ve already said umpteen Times I’m not in favor of disrupting joe and Josephine soap if using public transport
    That sentiment wont stop your crusty pals from doing it.

Advertisement